Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The long range model y is now 12,000 more than I paid in Oct 2020 so I anticipate cybertruck is going to increase at least 15,000 per trim level by release in 2023
The LR X is now $30k more ($119.4) than the model X I bought in 2020 ($89.4k). In fact the price is closer to the LR model Y ($70.4k).

All configured the same. 7 seats, black interior, white paint, standard wheels.

I’m psyching myself up for $100k quad motor cybernotatruck.

The LR X is now $30k more ($119.4) than the model X I bought in 2020 ($89.4k). In fact the price is closer to the LR model Y ($70.4k).

All configured the same. 7 seats, black interior, white paint, standard wheels.

I’m psyching myself up for $100k quad motor cybernotatruck.
I paid $53k for my Model Y a year ago (Red w/ Tow Hitch). Same car would be $66,000 now. I was also eligible for the Oregon rebate and no Model Ys qualify for it at this point so that was another $2,500 savings.

Hopefully the SP is setting new ATHs by the time my Cybertruck arrives or I might have to sell the Model Y to get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drumheller
I was also eligible for the Oregon rebate and no Model Ys qualify for it at this point so that was another $2,500 savings.
Yes they do: Eligible Vehicles | Oregon CVRP

1647321959548.png

The 2022 model year was added to the eligible list a little bit ago.

Reactions: Ogre
I’m not at all a fan of TA; but it’s helpful for me rationalize this insane selloff.

According to this phrenology we had strong support hold up today at $763, if that fails then we likely see $709, and if that fails to hold, then, most likely we revisit $592.

The Stephenson indicator is sitting at nearly $895 today. Record sales and profits, again, incoming soon. Tick,tick, tick.

View attachment 780928
The difference between astrology and technical analysis is, that very few people actually believe in astrology.

Check this out:

Model S | MSM | 21" Wheels | White Interior + Carbon Fibre | FSD​
9/22/20: Plaid+ 155,490​
3/14/22: Plaid 155,990​

Wow! Plaid + was targeted at >500 mile range. Same Plaid+ configuration did eventually go up to 167,990 in March of '21 before being killed.

Last edited:
Optimistic take is demand is nuts. Pessimistic take is this is reflecting the inflationary pressures Elon was referring to. My guess would be a mix of both.
It's almost certainly both.
  • We've heard rumours of increasing demand
  • Tesla can afford to prioritise orders with FSD - indicating high demand for top spec vehicles
  • Fuel prices are high which should drive demand
  • EVs are getting better all the time
  • Charging infrastructure improvement continues
  • There's more EV owners who can sell to their neighbours
  • Getting off ICE is now seen as a national security issue for many
Elon directly stated that Tesla is seeing inflationary pressure, so that's a given.

What I really like is that demand is increasing even faster than supply (otherwise Tesla wouldn't have the pricing power they are showing), and supply is increasing like crazy.

All our model jockeys will need to update profits for the year. Even if margins stay flat the net profit and EPS will increase due to higher prices.

I can't imagine that this is anything other than reacting to inflationary pressure (cost increases in plain language) that Tesla aver facing right now. They might have hedged smartly in the previous year(s), and vertical integration helps, but ultimately RM, fuel, etc. has been shooting up.

Anecdotally, my company is in the chemicals business - we supply various sectors globally including automotive and transportation - and we've had an average of 3 price increases from our RM suppliers in 2021. While we managed to pass most of these on to our customers through price increases, it's not 100% and margins are down.

Pretty sure Tesla is facing the same issue. Their saving grace is that fact that demand must be through the roof, so they don't have to fear loosing sales due to price increases. Yet.

Cost of raw materials moderating a bit. Look out.
The YOY comparisons are finally getting to where the economy was actually open. Little publicized and only mentioned here and there in passing... of course the YOY inflation would look high compared to the time period during COVID Lockdown. While the headline number was still positive if I remember correctly, commodities and oil had been crushed. The YOY comparisons going forward should shed a lot more light on the actual trajectory of inflation.

No doubt inflation is there and high for now. Is it uncontrollable and runaway? Based on Tesla demand and prices it sure is 😁
😁😁

EDIT: U.S. producer prices increase strongly in February

No doubt where the masters are positioned in the markets right now. This report is actually a pretty strong indication that prices may be moderating and on their way down, but the lead headline and most of the article is total fear mongering. Right at the end they mention that core PPI came in at 0.2% versus 0.8% in January. Literally the second to last sentence.

Last edited:
The YOY comparisons are finally getting to where the economy was actually open. Little publicized and only mentioned here and there in passing... of course the YOY inflation would look high compared to the time period during COVID Lockdown. While the headline number was still positive if I remember correctly, commodities and oil had been crushed. The YOY comparisons going forward should shed a lot more light on the actual trajectory of inflation.

No doubt inflation is there and high for now. Is it uncontrollable and runaway? Based on Tesla demand and prices it sure is 😁
😁😁
I'm an oil person. And based on watching oil markets, this inflation is 80% horseshit. Hoarding, manipulation, gargantuan but temporary supply disruptions.....all legit, but should have a fleeting impact.

There's too much cash, that's the only real problem. Nothing is truly scarce, and that's the basis for inflation.

Last edited:
I have family and friends in HK. People there are more scared of the vaccine than the virus. They think the vaccine will kill them while the virus will just make them sick. Some of them would rather quit their jobs than get vaccinated.

Is it suspicion of all covid vaccines or just the ones from China? Is this some kind of HK vs. the mainland protest?

Daiwa Capital upgrades Tesla from Neutral to Outperform. They did lower their TSLA price forecast from $980 to $900, still a 17% increase over current share price.

Ordered a Model X December 9 2021:
  • Model X Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Red Multi-Coat
  • 20'' Cyberstream Wheels
  • Cream Premium Interior with Walnut Décor
  • Six Seat Interior
  • Yoke Steering Wheel
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Pay-as-you-go Supercharging
Price $125,990.

Same configuration now on site: $144,940.

Now that's inflation :p

Waiting for December 2022 delivery. This demand destruction is such a drag.

:D:p

Daiwa Capital upgrades Tesla from Neutral to Outperform. They did lower their TSLA price forecast from $980 to $900, still a 17% increase over current share price.
Says article posted on Feb 26th?