Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canada Federal and Provincial (Ontario) governments are combined giving out >$1B to their BEV picks (GM, Stellantis, LG and Honda). My preference would be to put the $1B in the hands of the Canadian consumer by offering rebates to consumers for buying BEVs. Let the consumer pick the BEV winners via their purchase. Investing in BEVs is increasing exponentially. Thanks to Tesla for making BEVs an uncompromising alternative to ICE.

"The federal and Ontario governments are providing $259 million each to General Motors to expand and retool production at its two Ontario manufacturing plants.

GM will spend $2 billion in total to launch its first electric-vehicle (EV) production line at its CAMI plant in Ingersoll, as well as add additional light-duty Chevy Silverado pickup production at its facility in Oshawa.

The announcement is the latest in a series of investments worth hundreds of millions of dollars from the federal and Ontario governments towards the province's auto sector.

Last month, automaker Stellantis and South Korean battery giant LG Energy Solutions formed a joint venture to open a new electric vehicle battery production plant in Windsor, Ont. The federal and provincial governments will support the venture, but did not specify how much taxpayer money would be contributed to the $5 billion deal. However, Ford confirmed that Ontario and Canada "are putting hundreds of millions of dollars in."

Honda Canada also announced last month that it will spend $1.38 billion to upgrade its Alliston, Ont. plant to produce the 2023 CR-V hybrid crossover. The federal and provincial governments pitched in $131.6 million each towards the plant upgrade."

Canada has been losing a lot of its auto industry recently because of Dutch disease. They produced 3 million cars in 2000, last year it was just barely over 1m. I’m not surprised their gov is trying to lure in EV manufacturing.

HOW HAVE I NOT BEEN GIVEN A TICKET TO THE GIGAQUE!?
Elon, I am looking at YOU!
You can comfort yourself by making these DIY Cyber Planters during the event.

1649120560535.png

Incidentally, I prefer “CyberQue” myself. Hoping for some CyberQue sauce appearing in the Tesla store soon so I can pay too much money for sauce in a cool looking bottle.

Ah, yes, thanks. I found the source for anyone else interested.
In September 2014, in an interview with Fox Business, he said: “I feel confident that we will be able to achieve at least half a million cars a year by 2020.”
And yes, produced fractionally more than that, and delivered fractionally less.

Does anyone have other examples of surprisingly on-time Musk predictions?
GigaShanghai production start.

Didn’t it go from muddy field to vehicle production in 1 year?

Ah, yes, thanks. I found the source for anyone else interested.
In September 2014, in an interview with Fox Business, he said: “I feel confident that we will be able to achieve at least half a million cars a year by 2020.”
And yes, produced fractionally more than that, and delivered fractionally less.

Does anyone have other examples of surprisingly on-time Musk predictions?
"Stock price too high, IMO” right before the split?

I keep checking the mail. I live here, own a Tesla car and I'm waiting on my Solar install. If I don't get a ticket I'll just have to check my TSLA stock to cheer me up and do some ribs on the Kamado Joe
Bah. There'll be a whole bunch of yankees there wearing Prada cowboy boots asking for hamburgers at the grill. Hard pass.

I need to slowly sell some shares this spring/summer for various endeavors, and I was thinking today of what SP I wanna target.

Obviously I'll do my proper TMC duty by selling aggressive covered calls to trigger the selling.....but what's my strike?

I thought to myself, when SP recovers back above a 200 PE any time after 2Q earnings....I'd be ok with that. I always do the math wrong, can someone tell me that approximate SP based on TMC projected earnings?

I'ma guess somewhere around $1,760.

I need to slowly sell some shares this spring/summer for various endeavors, and I was thinking today of what SP I wanna target.

Obviously I'll do my proper TMC duty by selling aggressive covered calls to trigger the selling.....but what's my strike?

I thought to myself, when SP recovers back above a 200 PE any time after 2Q earnings....I'd be ok with that. I always do the math wrong, can someone tell me that approximate SP based on TMC projected earnings?

Wait till after the split?

Six months ago TSLA was a moderate part of my portfolio. Enough so when it started it's big October? run I was excited but didn't shake my portfolio. It was a bit of a come-to-Elon moment, so I bought significantly more even though it was higher. Then Tesla moved up even more to it's ATH and that moved things quite a bit, but cost basis was pretty high. So when Tesla started dropping I sold some AMZN, NFLX (Just in time!), and some AAPL, picking up more shares on the way down.

Then... it kept going down. So I sold more AAPL, and bought some TSLA LEAPS. Then it went down a little more... and I sold a few more AAPL and picked up a couple more 2024 LEAPS (just a bit out of the money).

So now my cost basis is silly high and I have about 50/50 shares and LEAPs. Cost basis isn't great, but as you suggest but every share I bought along the way is right-side up now. The LEAPs have done exceptionally well. Gotta figure out when to get off that boat.

Nice to see all that digging I did over the past 3 months has turned into a foundation and not a money pit.

Many TMCers over the years have used a method of having a mix of shares and leaps/ options

The methodology normally involves

1. Having a high concentration of shares to options when TSLA hits all time highs ie 90/10
( by converting options to shares as the price rises )

2 Having a high concentration of options to shares when TSLA hits lows ie 90 /10

3 With options , holding a mix of calls and leaps , and lowering the calls % as your portfolio climbs

This has been spelt out by various contributors ie @Chickenlittle, @Papafox and many others over the years , each have their own formula

I can confirm this method and variations of it are very successful.

I need to slowly sell some shares this spring/summer …

Current Earnings per share (trailing twelve months):

$4.90

Subtract Q1 2021 EPS: -$0.39

Add @The Accountant GAAP estimate for Q1 2022: +$2.50

= $7.01 EPS

Multiply by 200:

= $1402

Or, after Q2 results come out in July/August, again in line with @The Accountant expectations, with your hypothetical 200 P/E:

$9.10 * 200 = $1820

At 150 P/E, it’s still $1365 at that point.

Last edited:
Many TMCers over the years have used a method of having a mix of shares and leaps/ options

1. Having a high concentration of shares to options when TSLA hits all time highs ie 90/10

2 Having a high concentration of options to shares when TSLA hits lows ie 90 /10

3 With options , holding a mix of calls and leaps , and lowering the calls % as your portfolio climbs

This has been spelt out by various contributors ie @Chickenlittle, @Papafox and many others over the years , each have their own formula

couldn't agree more. for me this strategy also solves the emotional dilemma that I always want to be 100% invested in TSLA, so it scratches this itch as well.

also recently tried Call LEAP spreads BTO at SP ~800. Also working out very nicely thus far.

(btw these 2 strategies -- LEAP Calls + Call Spreads -- are also what Peterffy, IBKR's CEO & co-founder, said they observed to be very successful with TSLA bulls -- see video here: Tesla investors are committed to the company for the long-term, says Interactive Brokers' Peterffy)

Last edited:
Current Earnings per share (trailing twelve months):

$4.90

Subtract Q1 2021 EPS: -$0.39

Add @The Accountant GAAP estimate for Q1 2022: +$2.50

= $7.01 EPS

Multiply by 200:

= $1402

Or, after Q2 results come out in July/August, again in line with @The Accountant expectations, with your hypothetical 200 P/E:

$9.10 * 200 = $1820
Bear in mind that Tesla will not warrant a 200x PE in the near future.

We are currently in the steepest part of earnings growth, and that will slowdown in percentage growth terms through 2023 as net profit growth rate will more closely match the top line revenue growth rate as OpEx becomes smaller vs gross profits.

eg: Going from $1 EPS to $11 EPS is 1000% growth, but going from $11 EPS to $22 EPS is only 100% growth. And then $22 EPS to $38.50 EPS is 75% growth, $38.50 to $57.75 is 50% growth etc etc.

Right now I’m about 50/50. Sounds like you are suggesting starting to converting some of the LEAPs to shares when the SP approaches the ATH.

Seems like a not-terrible idea to de-risk some shares without losing my TSLA exposure.