Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no direct reason for the front-casting to require a structural pack. If the casting has the same dimensions and attachement points as the previous subassembly, it's a 'simple' swap.
And I would strongly expect so, as they would otherwise have to create unique stamping parts or brackets, or use extensive amounts of shims to match up with the common parts. Then there are new weld schemes for the robots to program, different wire/line lengths, new plastic molds, etc. All of which runs counter to the intended economy of scale.
The other argument is exhibit A: rear casting.
But if that's the case, only Tesla knows...
Tesla is partly limited by the rate at which IDAR can make gigapresses. Berlin with a front casting would require twice as many units for a given build rate. Plus there is the risk inherent in a new design. Berlin was originally going to be the lead with dual castings and structural pack, with Austin staying single., With C19 and factory delays, Tesla swapped Austin to be lead on new tech and machinery was reallocated.. Berlin's stamped front end is still pretty darn simplified.

Teslacon livestream. The first one has a TSLA valuation discussion starting at 1:05:00
(there is a problem with the audio), the discussion is interesting.

The second is still going on
starting with FSD discussion, and followed by battery discussion

Second stream has reached a bandwidth limit and has buffered. Sandy and Gorden were very interesting on the battery discussion.

That's why I'm so bullish on Tesla energy. LFP batteries have a cycle life that is several times that of NMC. The current megapack has a 20 year warranty. I expect an LFP megapack to last much longer.

However, I have had trouble finding exactly what that 20 year warranty covers. If anyone has info on that I'd love to know.
My Model 3 has a 4year 50,000 mile warranty, but I hope it works far longer.

Well.. if you take that viewpoint, then she wouldn't be wrong if she had mentioned:
- the pedo tweet
- the 420 tweet
- snubs from Biden administration
- racial discrimination lawsuit that Tesla lost
- yada yada

All of the above are facts and can be woven into any Tesla article, and she wouldn't be wrong. Just contextually irrelevant.

Well obviously all those examples are things form the past, whereas the shutdown of GigaShanghai is happening right now, and there is no indication of when it will end.

I think its the most obviously relevant information in the world to include in a news piece about Tesla opening a new car factory, that their currently largest volume factory is closed.

To anyone reading that news article with at least half a brain it makes it abundantly clear why the Texas factory opening is a very good thing for tesla, as once ramped it dramatically reduces the risk exposure from shutdowns in any one factory location.

Once stage 1 of Austin and Berlin are fully ramped, Shanghai will have gone from 60% of teslas production capacity to something below 40% (Assuming capacity of 1.5-2.0 million vehicles from Fremont/Austin/Berlin combined & ~1.0 million from Shanghai by year end 2023)

Last edited:
I wish Secretary Pete would have the cahones to say this very truthful statement: "If not for Tesla, few if any of the major auto manufacturers would be making electric vehicles. We have much to thank of the the manufacturer of 2/3rd's of the battery driven automobiles in the US."

I would have said President Joe but unfortunately that's too much to ask (unless Tesla unionizes, and that will be a cold day in hell).

I wish Secretary Pete would have the cahones to say this very truthful statement: "If not for Tesla, few if any of the major auto manufacturers would be making electric vehicles. We have much to thank of the the manufacturer of 2/3rd's of the battery driven automobiles in the US."

I would have said President Joe but unfortunately that's too much to ask (unless Tesla unionizes, and that will be a cold day in hell).

Pete did say something very similar to that on February 9th on CNBC:
We admire the range of American companies that have innovated, including Tesla, which did so much to make EVs possible in America

F up 1.5%, GM up 2.3%, TSLA down 2.9% - after it should have become obvious to everyone that TSLA will be a multi-trillion dollar company and F and GM will go bankrupt. You can't make this stuff up....
Why anyone would compare F and GM to TSLA based on a single day's share price action is beyond me. Let F and GM have their fun in the sun today. We all here on TMC know what tomorrow brings.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 7.30.12 PM.png

After coming out of bankruptcy, GM has gone from $33.80 (Nov 2010) to $39.35 today for an overall return of 16% over more than 12 years. GM will never regain their ATH share price of $63.37 reached May 2022 which is a 61% premium over pricing today.

F has gone from an ATH $35.72 (Dec 1998) to $15.02 today for an overall return of -58% over more than 24 years. Annual inflation more than wipes out any dividend gains. F will never regain thier ATH which is a 138% premium over pricing today. F won't ever even reach their recent high of $25.19 of Jan 2022.

TSLA needs no explanation.

I want to be perfectly clear about this, because while I don't really place any long term significance on the ongoing Corvid lockdown in Shanghai, it's something that people should still understand about China.

Chinese culture does not place any real significance on the individual which is completely the opposite of how most Western cultures work. The Chinese government doesn't even really know any individual Chinese people exist and it's not clear they could even figure out if they wanted to since there are currently 1.4 billion Chinese people in China.

The individual lives of the 26 million people in Shanghai have literally zero significance to the Chinese government or to Xi Jinping. They could all evaporate tomorrow and no one in the government or Xi would care. People in the West think oh no the government can't starve 26 million people forever they will have to stop. No, they will not stop. They do not care about the lives of anyone in Shanghai. The lockdown will not end until the government is satisfied that the outbreak is contained.

Corvid Zero is only possible in China because the lives of Chinese citizens literally do not matter to the government and never will. So be prepared, the shutdown of Giga Shanghai will remain indefinite until the Chinese government is ready to end it. If all 26 million people in Shanghai starve to death then that's fine with them, at least there are no more hosts left for the virus to infect!