Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
other car companies also have much more debt, so the value of their enterprise is biased towards bonds vs equity, while Tesla has zero debt and a growing pile of cash.

(Enterprise value is a better indicator than market cap, IMHO)
I've always thought Enterprise Value an odd measure because it subtracts cash and cash equivalents. This punishes companies throwing off a large amount of cash. Odd incentive to encourage businesses to spend cash. For example Tesla's $18b counts (mostly) against their EV.

Subtracting cash makes sense so long as debt exceeds cash, but for cash-rich companies it actually detracts from the Enterprise Value.

But on whole I agree and in this case it's just a rounding error. In 3-4 years it might be a bigger aberration.

Sigh....Lora K. with the stellar reporting again:

1653609506159.png

So much manure out there. This morning I rebooted on purpose while driving on NOA. Other than the displays going blank (Model S), the car continued on its merry way.

As for this. All 3s, Ys, Ss and Xs have manual non-power releases accessible directly on front doors. Rear doors are a bit more convoluted. I know S and X have in-door. Not sure on 3 and Y. Also have in frunk and trunk for all models.

Either way. RTFML if you want to protect yourself and family.

Can’t wait for them to disprove this nonsense.

View attachment 809129

I might add that’s a hell of a lot more kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated - going as the square of the velocity.
I stopped arguing with people who say that Rocket landings is an already done thing before SpaceX. It is like arguing with a flat earther. Not worth the trouble. Then, people can't tell the difference

I do notice a number of items upon which I care to comment. Few of my remarks will be of the “well done!” variety, so in advance of those, let me say “Well done!”. Rather, most will be ones with which I take issue.
Thanks, let’s make it less wrong. I know there are errors but I need help finding them.

Energy Situation -

A fine précis of the history of energy consumption. The sole - but very large - statement of yours with which I take issue is this paragraph:

If we want a super prosperous future for humanity even just with today's energy usage patterns, then 10 billion people in 2050 will consume ~10 kW of power per capita which is 100 TW or about 5x what humanity consumes today.

This does not address other consumptives, albeit ones that also use some of the power you discuss. I do not discuss “nature” but rather mention only the Big Three traditionally used to represent humankind’s bare necessities:
*Food - meaning of course agricultural production, with its demand of land and other inputs;
*Water - use by man of which both stresses other parts of the biosphere and otherwise, or in addition, will consume an immense chunk of that ~10kW/pp;
*Shelter - the demand for wood, concrete and other inputs also rise immensely were humanity to enjoy a super-prosperous future. Whence comes the global wood inputs? And concrete entails far more than the petajoules addressable by an energy revolution. For example: WHERE are the requisite sources of sand?
The other consumptives are implicitly captured in the other sections about disruptive technology, construction, manufacturing, desalination and indoor food production. The rest of the essay describes why I think we will blow way past 10 kW/person power consumption.

This broad statement about price elasticity of demand in the Disruptive Technology Expands Markets section encapsulates the overall argument:

"This pattern is also predicted by basic economic theory: when technology improves the combined "total factor productivity" of land, labor and capital such that supply of a certain good or service has increased, the market clearing price decreases and the total quantity sold increases. The “price elasticity of demand” for a good/service measures how much the quantity demanded increases for a given decrease in market price (link). More formally, it’s the slope (1st derivative with respect to price) of the demand curve at any point. We can only speculate about what the true shape of the demand curve for energy looks like at the costs we're talking about, because it's uncharted territory with no readily available econometric data."​

In other words, for many applications material costs will be substituted with energy costs, but to what degree is the hard part to estimate.

Regarding water, I also think there's great potential to rethink our land use patterns to better manage water flow in arid regions, like in this brilliant project creating a biodiverse tree and vegetable farm in Jordan:

From a first principles atomic physics perspective, natural sand is actually not required for concrete. Concrete requires (source):
  1. Cement
  2. Water
  3. Aggregate
  4. Admixtures for some applications
My understanding is that aggregate can be just about any kind of crushed up rock. We have plenty of water. Admixtures are mostly common chemicals. Below is the atomic recipe for common Portland cement (source), which includes the following common crustal elements: Ca, O, Si, Al, Fe, S.

1653602837770.png

Sand is currently used for cement manufacturing because it's the most economical source of silicon dioxide (SiO2; also, "silica") today and also can be a good source of aggregate. Sand is mostly silica crystals mixed with pulverized rock dust. We have plenty of silica, as it accounts for 59% of the Earth's crust by mass, including the two most common minerals, feldspar and quartz. That same silica can also be used for making yet more solar panels, further increasing the energy supply in a virtuous cycle.

Artificial sand, such as pulverized granite, is already in use and it too will get cheaper when energy used to run the smashing and grinding machines is more affordable. Natural sand has some nice properties but as far as I’m aware it’s not strictly necessary for the vast majority of applications.

How about first principles for mining in general? The basic goal of mining is to take atoms from the crust and rearrange them into concentrated buckets separated by element to be used as raw material for the next level of the economy. Most of the atoms in the crust are bound together into solid state, which happens with ionic bonds, covalent bonds and polar bonds. Bonds between atoms can be broken with...you guessed it...energy. Any solid can be broken into smaller chunks with mechanical energy and can be melted or vaporized with thermal energy. Solar can power both options.

To this point, in 2008 Ugo Bardi published a well-researched essay on The Oil Drum website about a hypothetical Universal Mining Machine. The first few sentences are:

In a science fiction story that I had in my hands, many years ago, a group of explores [sic] stranded on a remote planet needed to build a new spaceship using local materials. They had no time and no resources for traditional mining, so they built a "universal mining machine" that extracted elements from the planet's crust. The machine crushed rock, heated it and transformed it into an atomic plasma. The ions in the plasma were accelerated and then separated according to mass by a magnetic field. In input, you had just ordinary rock; at the output, you had all the elements present in the original rock, each neatly packed in its own box.
That story (I think it was by Poul Anderson) has always fascinated me. Why can’t we build a machine like that here, on Earth, and stop worrying about running out of mineral resources?

Another key passage:

In general, the energy required for extracting something from an ore is inversely proportional to the ore grade. That is, it takes ten times more energy to process an ore which contains the useful mineral in a ten times lower concentration (Skinner 1979). This relation holds for ores of the same composition which just change in grade.
Let's make an approximate calculation for evaluating this energy. Consider copper, again, as an example. Copper is present at concentrations of about 25 ppm in the upper crust (Wikipedia 2007). To extract copper from the undifferentiated crust, we would need to break down rock at the atomic level providing an amount of energy comparable to the energy of formation of the rock. On the average, we can take it as something of the order of 10 MJ/kg. From these data, we can estimate about 400 GJ/kg for the energy of extraction. Now, if we wanted to keep producing 15 million tons of copper per year, as we do nowadays, by extracting it from common rock, this calculation says that we would have to spend 20 times the current worldwide production of primary energy.
…​
Of course, this is just a rough order of magnitude estimation. We may not need to really pulverize the rock at the atomic level and we may find areas of the crust which contain more copper than average. For instance, Skinner (1979) proposed that we could extract copper from a kind of clay named biotite and that would need a specific energy of extraction approximately ten times larger than the present requirements. If the problem were copper alone, that would be doable. But if we have to raise the energy requirement of a factor of ten for all the rare metals, clearly we rapidly run into levels that we cannot afford, at least at present.

What was not obvious in 2008 was the meteoric rise of solar and batteries that would come in the ensuing 14 years.

Also, now we have a crazy company attempting to build a machine named Prufrock that can allegedly mine underground at 7 miles per day in a future version with unprecedentedly low boring costs. Prufrock is ostensibly a machine for digging tunnels but in the process it is conveniently producing a steady supply of pulverized rock at an approximate cost target of $100/m^3 if we estimate it'll be able to drill a barebones tunnel for about $2M per kilometer once energy costs fall and the technology matures. Density varies, but rock is about 3 metrics tons per m^3, so this comes out to approximately $30/ton.

Volcanoes are not the only possible source of lava. We can make our own lava in big crucibles using furnaces powered by sunshine. We can then separate the elements or even hypothetically form our own extrusive igneous rock by controlling the cooling process. Elements within the lava would gravitationally sort themselves according to density, like oil floating on water or they could be separated with fractional distillation like the Universal Mining Machine.

I am not sure if this would work economically but the physics seem to suggest it would work and the main cost would be the energy required. Also, as total factor productivity in the global economy continues to rise there will be more willingness to pay higher prices for material inputs if necessary.

For wood needs, if the controlled environment agriculture thing ends up being the dominant method of food production, that would free up plenty of room for trees, and if the desalination and aqueduct thing works, there will be plenty of freshwater for helping forests grow. So wood would be more abundant than it has been in centuries.

I also think cheap energy will make it more economical to make “engineered wood” using other sources of fiber such as bamboo. Here is an example of bamboo panel fabrication. The factory is fairly low tech so this could be improved significantly. Note the amount of mechanical machining work required and the use of steam to straighten out the strips.

Then there is the possibility of making cellulose and/or lignin fibers synthetically with precision fermentation for biocomposites. Example. Tony Seba, the crazy guy who has been calling tech trends successfully for a long time now, is predicting plummeting costs and disruption for precision fermentation.

I think the collective cleverness of humankind should not be underestimated, especially when our powers are fully unleashed by this energy revolution.

Cost Collapsing & Doomed Legacy Energy “Assets”

The graph of Ramez Naam’s that you provide is a log-log graph. I’ve never met a log-log that I didn’t love look at with as much askance as with a kaleidoscope on a roller coaster. The reason is that just about anything looks like a straight line when plotted log-log. Amusingly, the BNEF data on that chart gives the lie to what I just wrote (though with the correspondingly lowest Rˆ2).

But I also don’t find data corroborating that something that costs less gets more customers as hugely illuminating. I think you provide a similar such chart, I think out of ARK, further on.

What definitely is from ARK is the graph of Li-ion battery costs over time. As shown, it appears that they enjoyed a massive diminution in cost from 1985 to 2005…and then not only stagnated, but are provided only to 2012. Yet you write of the data as demonstrating Wright’s Law in action. I think the subsequent chart was (ARK’s not yours) attempt to Invoke Wright’s Law, but overall it seemed rather….goopy…to me.

To be - possibly - continued.

Li-ion battery cost declines have stalled out somewhat, but Tesla’s new 4680s and step-change to LFP for lower range vehicles will break through this plateau.

Remember Battery Day? Elon and Drew were saying they’re going to cut the cost per kWh by 56% by making an inflection point in the battery cost learning curve.

E6C9E363-E141-4079-94DD-C8C092C5C3CC.png

Elon: “We’ve got to get the cost of batteries down. We’ve got to be better at manufacturing and we need to do something about this curve. The curve of the cost per kWh of batteries is not improving fast enough. So we’ve given this a lot of thought over many years to say, ‘Okay, how can we radically improve the cost per kWh curve?’ It’s been somewhat flattening out in recent years.”
Drew: “Yeah. I mean, early growth was promising but you can see we’re kinda plateauing. So that’s what’s motivating us to rethink how cells are produced and designed.”
Elon: “Yeah, exactly, so…EV marketshare is growing but EVs still aren’t accessible to all. And you can see as Drew was saying it’s starting to flatten out a little bit because the rate of improvement of the affordability of cars is just not fast enough. So that’s why we’ve got Battery Day.”
The log-log plot showing Wright’s Law as applied to solar PV was just an illustration, not proof in itself. Also, the Lazard cost levelized cost of energy estimates are the gold standard in the industry, and their data shows a steady exponential Wright’s Law relationship with R^2 of 0.994, which would only happen with an almost perfect exponential decay function.

Here’s a longer-term chart illustrating the cost declines across 45 years and two and a half orders of magnitude. If I remember correctly, the trend aberration from 2002-2012 was caused mostly by raw material price spikes, not a slowdown in the actual learning curve.

1653611218840.png

(SourceSwanson's law is the observation that the price of solar photovoltaic modules tends to drop 20 percent for every doubling of cumulative shipped volume. At present rates, costs go down 75% about every 10 years.”)

Amazing write-up! Kudos to your effort. I think very very few utility professionals understand this, and most of those who understand are not in a position of great influence. Utilities are moving at the speed of ICE Auto right now, and will get majorly disrupted!
Thank you! Yeah, legacy plants will be retiring earlier than TSLA hodlers.

The quality of posts in this thread has suddenly increased in a manner that mirrors some of the brighter days of TSLA. I take this not as an omen, but a reminder of why I remain a dedicated investor when times are tough .

Thank you.
Browsing the old @DaveT megaposts thread was in no small part why I now have time to write this stuff so this is a way of paying it forward.

I also get free high-quality feedback that might help me from making a grave mistake in my investment strategy.

This is an astounding post. Have you published this elsewhere? At first skim, I think you are profoundly right in much of what you write here.
Nope, but it’s been bouncing around in my mind for a long time and I decided to put it here largely because I don’t know of another place where I can get better signal-to-noise ratio on feedback correcting the inevitable mistakes. Much of the information and inspiration came from RethinkX/Tony Seba and Casey Handmer’s blog.

Thanks for an awesome post, but can I get a citation for this? The data I could find is an order of magnitude smaller.
Re: Transmission losses: Yeah it’s more like 3-10% loss, thanks for the correction. I was going off memory and my brain swapped 70% total power loss with transmission loss. My bad. I should probably ask for a refund on my EE degree. In my defense, I was more on the computer engineering side 😆.

The transmission losses are also more than resistive heating anyway:

The main cost of the mega regional transmission grids is the construction, maintenance and administrative cost of the hardware, so this does not have a major impact on the overall argument about legacy energy assets losing competitiveness. This 2018 study from University of Texas-Austin estimated $30/MWh total transmission and distribution costs on average. The point remains that the fully accounted cost of mega regional transmission grids is more than the cost of where SWB smaller grids are heading. Also the point remains that solar in particular is uniquely non-reliant on having a grid at all; for many exurban and especially rural folks, a solo homestead power supply will eventually be the cheapest solution, with maybe a few interconnections between neighbors.

Anybody that seriously discussed indoor farming for anything other than consumer preference high value shifting has never farmed. Indoor farming is terrible for the environment from beginning to end. Horrible. IT is al ESG greenwashing. ALL.

It is such greenwashing that the mars project even admitted that and said vertical farming, even on mars, made no sense and it was better to try to replicate the advantage of large fields. On freaking mars.

My brief skim therefore stopped when I saw that sub heading and trashed the whole thing as it immediately lost credibility.
Good guess about me never having farmed, congratulations! I have actually worked in food service and then manufacturing for my whole career. I think a manufacturing background is an applicable knowledge base here because indoor farming operations are effectively advanced plant-growing factories. I have also spent countless hobby hours researching conventional farming, indoor farming, permaculture, indoor gardening, and composting, so I think I have a fairly decent outsider’s understanding of the industry and the relevant biological and ecological design principles. If someone with more expertise in farming wants to teach me something I would welcome that. I like learning.

The entire essay obviously contained a great deal of speculative conjecture about future sources of renewable energy demand. The purpose was not 100% accuracy and precision but rather to provide a collection of possibilities that appear reasonably likely in order to arrive at a rough order of magnitude guess of where the energy market is headed. The wide estimation intervals and frequent caveats would have been your first clue if you had bothered to read. An error in one section of the argument does not invalidate the entire argument. It would just mean I was insufficiently informed about that particular topic. Unless your entire reasoning is essentially “Gigapress has a silly prediction about one topic and therefore has no credibility in any area” which is a bit of a non-sequitur. For example, I think you are quite mistaken about robotaxis not being profitable but I’m still willing to listen to your thoughts on other matters. When you posted recently about this, I replied with a reasoned response about why I disagree. I ask that you do the same. Critiques are useful; insults are worse than doing nothing at all. I will delete that whole section if you convince me, and I listen to logic because I want to understand for myself and I want to avoid propagating misinformation.

The math in this case is a sum of energy consumption increase projections, so if you disagree with one term you can simply delete that term from the sum. If you had actually read the essay it would have been obvious that even if the majority of the predictions don’t come to pass, there is still ample support for the primary thesis that SWB growth will dramatically increase total energy consumption.

So, would you elaborate on the point please? Why is controlled environment agriculture environmentally horrible and all greenwashing? I listed several specific environmental benefits that I think CEA has over field agriculture. Are those benefits not actually real and if so, why? Is my list missing key negative factors that outweigh the benefits? What is your hypothesis for why Kimball Musk, sibling of the world’s most prominent and well-resourced environmentalist, is pursuing CEA with his company Square Roots? At first glance it seems quite unlikely that Kimball would have such an inaccurate understanding of the dire environmental consequences of his business model, or that he would be aware but not care and lie about it.

Last point… I would argue that comparing the plant cultivation industry on Earth with a speculative plant cultivation industry on Mars is not quite an apt analogy. These two use cases have radically different environments, goals, available natural resources, and access to labor and industrial capacity. If you want to argue in favor of that point I think more justification is warranted. One fact is clear: controlled environment agriculture is absolutely required for hypothetical Mars habitats because obviously the outdoor environment is utterly inhospitable to plants. Whether they make multilevel vertical farms on Mars or simply exploit the practically endless supply of unoccupied land with flat farms is up for debate. For what it’s worth, I don’t see any good reason to build vertical farms on Mars for a very long time, considering the more difficult construction and materials requirements, lower insolation than on Earth, and vast swaths of unoccupied territory. I still don’t see how that’s relevant to design considerations on Earth.

Transportation currently accounts for about 20% of human energy use, so if transportation demand per capita increases by 10-100x and efficiency per passenger-mile improves by 3x, the net result is a 3-33x increase in human energy consumption from this factor alone. Then multiply this by bringing the other 80% of humanity to developed-world living conditions and the net change is 17-170x increase!
Self correction on this part. Calculation mistake. 0.2 * 10 / 3 * 5 = 3.3 not 17

It appears I accidentally multiplied by 5 twice. The range of projections with the provided assumptions is actually 3-33x not 17-170x. It’s not as much but still huge.

Last edited:
An Accountant walks into a TMC Thread . . . . . .and He's Forever Grateful
In early 2019, I knew very little about Tesla. I could not have told you the difference between a Models S and a Model X and I was not even aware Tesla had launched the Model 3. That didn't stop me from swing trading TSLA which was very profitable for me in 2018.
By May 2019, my $200k investment (foolish . . I know) was worth about $110k. Almost a 50% drop.
I said to myself, "What's going on with this company?" So I did some research. And here is what I found:
- Tesla loses money on every car they sell.​
- They will run out of money and go bankrupt​
- If they don't go bankrupt, they will need multiple capital raises and the stock will be diluted​
- The competition is arriving and the story is over for Tesla​
- Their cars are poorly built and catch fire.​
- They will never reach manufacturing scale.​
- On May 21, Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley said that worse case the stock goes to $10 ($2 post split)​
I was resigned to sell my TSLA stock and preserve my capital from going to $0 . . .
. . . ., but then, I accidentally stumbled upon TMC's Investor Thread. I had never seen anything like it.
I read and read for hours across several days. I knew the members may be biased TSLA Bulls but their thinking and opinions were well formed with experts from many fields. I lurked for weeks and weeks until the lightbulb went on: TSLA is a once in a generation investment.
I signed up as a TMC member in Aug 2019 and by year end I had increased my investment at an average share price of $54.

We're down 50% from ATH. It feels like 2019 again. I know that the macro environment is different today but Tesla's long term prospects are stronger today than when I first invested in 2019. I feel safer investing at $630 today than $54 in 2019 when Tesla still had much to prove.

To the lurker reading this post: Keep reading and maybe you will be writing this post in 3 years time. 😁
@The Accountant , your above post has received 189 up votes. Well deserved. All those at TMC who up voted, lets get together and take out a full page ad in the New York Times and simply include @The Accountant 's post (with his permission first of course) with a link to TMC. I'm up for my share.

Tesla is the World's biggest secret and only those that work at Tesla, those here at TMC, and a handful of elite thinkers seem to know what is going on. Let's fill the World in on our secret. It is time.

“These findings include an analysis of Tesla drivers who also operate another vehicle. These drivers are nearly 50% less likely to crash while driving their Tesla than any other vehicle they operate."

Do you think perhaps they value their expensive Tesla and are concerned about keeping it in good condition, so they have an old beater to drive recklessly? Maybe they take it easy to save range in the Tesla? Is the fact that the Tesla could be a newer car with more safety systems come into play? Is the date potentially skewed by the number of miles driven of the type of driving?

Information like this raises plenty of questions, and we don't have the answers. The questions begin to mount when there are comparisons between specific cars and brands. For example, the study also suggested the opposite about Porsche EV drivers. McMahon added:

"We conducted the same analysis on individuals who operate a Porsche and another vehicle. In this case, we observed the opposite effect.
Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche compared to their other vehicle.”

So strange. It’s almost as if Tesla cars are safer than Porsche due to software.

I want to expand on the SpaceX Hydrocarbons prediction, which is based on shockingly simple logic.

Premises
  • Elon in December announced hiring for a new SpaceX program to make rocket fuel out of atmospheric CO2
  • Starship/Superheavy uses methalox engines, which means cryogenic liquid methane (CH4) and liquid oxygen (O2)
  • The CEO, Chief Engineer, thought leader and largest shareholder of SpaceX is deeply concerned about the dumping of CO2 into the atmosphere and oceans being “the dumbest experiment in history” and has offered a $100M prize and eternal glory for carbon sequestration technology
  • A factory combining water electrolysis and the Sabatier Process is the only feasible way to produce methane and oxygen on Mars with local resources for the foreseeable future
  • SpaceX is so competent with engineering that they will likely dominate any market they choose to enter
  • Elon reiterated just last week that once Starship/Superheavy is fully and rapidly reusable, “the cost of the propellant is the single biggest cost of the flight”
  • Elon also reiterated last week that “The thing to optimize for is cost per ton to orbit. Like, you can’t cheat if you get cost per ton to orbit…Fully-considered cost per ton to orbit is the optimization.”
  • An electrolysis + Sabatier factory would output pure CH4 and O2 conveniently in the same 1:2 stoichiometric ratio needed for the methalox propellant
    • Electrolysis:
      • 4 H2O + electricity —> 4 H2 + 2 O2
    • Sabatier:
      • 4 H2 + 1 CO2 + heat + pressure + catalyst —> 1 CH4 + 2 H2O
    • Raptor combustion:
      • 1 CH4 + 2 O2 + heat —> 1 CO2 + 2 H2O + a lot more heat
    • End-to-End Recipe:
      • 4 H20 + 1 CO2 + cheap solar energy —> 4 H2O + 1 CO2 + liftoff
  • The unit cost of methane production will fall with Wright’s Law, as economies of scale and learning curve effects are directly dependent on total cumulative production volume
  • Methane is a commodity which has many other applications beyond Raptor combustion chambers
  • Current methane production from oil & gas is a major source of GHG emissions
  • Methane production from the atmosphere (and by extension from the oceans) will be carbon neutral if combusted and carbon negative if used for applications which trap the carbon atoms in solid or liquid state
  • Non-combustion applications of methane as a feedstock for synthesis of larger organic molecules (i.e. carbon-containing chemicals) will benefit economically from lower energy costs expected with cheap SWB energy
  • Petroleum and natural gas are getting more expensive over time and this trend will continue
  • SpaceX is strategically headquartered in Texas which is arguably the world’s most optimal location for developing a synthetic hydrocarbon industry
Conclusion
When the facts are laid out this way, it seems clear to me that as soon as full and rapid reusability is achieved, the SpaceX team will immediately pivot the bulk of their focus, brainpower and resources towards minimizing the cost and environmental impact of sustainable methalox supply (power-to-gas), which will be done with CO2 capture + H20 electrolysis + Sabatier reactors + O2/CH4 separation + Cryogenic liquification. Their competence combined with a hurricane-force tailwind from an explosion in cheap solar power will lead to them producing CH4 cheaper than natural gas mining and refining can. They will rapidly expand into adjacent markets in order to drive maximum rate of cost per ton to orbit reduction, contribute to reducing CO2 levels, solve a number of other critical environmental issues, and improve the probability that a self-sustaining civilization on Mars is birthed before civilization on Earth collapses from ecological catastrophe or war. This move into adjacent markets could in theory complete the total phaseout of the petrochemicals industry.

Last edited:
I've always thought Enterprise Value an odd measure because it subtracts cash and cash equivalents. This punishes companies throwing off a large amount of cash. Odd incentive to encourage businesses to spend cash. For example Tesla's $18b counts (mostly) against their EV.

Subtracting cash makes sense so long as debt exceeds cash, but for cash-rich companies it actually detracts from the Enterprise Value.

But on whole I agree and in this case it's just a rounding error. In 3-4 years it might be a bigger aberration.

Enterprise value is how much it would cost for you to completely own the company.

Debt is added because it is a claim on future income priced by the market. Bonds are mostly priced based on the likelihood the issuer will pay it back, and lose value as the market believes its ability to repay declines.

Cash is subtracted because you are trying to figure the value of the actual enterprise itself. There are companies that have more net cash than market cap, meaning the market thinks this company is worth more dead than alive.

Enterprise value is a better overall measure, imho.

But to equity investors, low debt and a good amount of cash helps market cap hold a higher share of the total enterprise value.

“These findings include an analysis of Tesla drivers who also operate another vehicle. These drivers are nearly 50% less likely to crash while driving their Tesla than any other vehicle they operate."

Do you think perhaps they value their expensive Tesla and are concerned about keeping it in good condition, so they have an old beater to drive recklessly? Maybe they take it easy to save range in the Tesla? Is the fact that the Tesla could be a newer car with more safety systems come into play? Is the date potentially skewed by the number of miles driven of the type of driving?

Information like this raises plenty of questions, and we don't have the answers. The questions begin to mount when there are comparisons between specific cars and brands. For example, the study also suggested the opposite about Porsche EV drivers. McMahon added:

"We conducted the same analysis on individuals who operate a Porsche and another vehicle. In this case, we observed the opposite effect.
Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche compared to their other vehicle.”

So strange. It’s almost as if Tesla cars are safer than Porsche due to software.
Awesome study. I get to read and digest this while watching the Dubs close out the Mavs!

Tesla drivers +55 and Taycan drivers -55, lol

"To this point, in 2008 Ugo Bardi published a well-researched essay on The Oil Drum website about a hypothetical Universal Mining Machine."
Ah, The Oil Drum - I sure do miss it! First time I've seen anyone here reference it. Fantastic resource.

If anyone is interested, current work by the group of contributors formerly there can be found on this page The Oil Drum | The Oil Drum writers: Where are they now?

and a wee bit of poking around the site will still give a motherlode of energy related information, all archived.

So much manure out there. This morning I rebooted on purpose while driving on NOA. Other than the displays going blank (Model S), the car continued on its merry way.

As for this. All 3s, Ys, Ss and Xs have manual non-power releases accessible directly on front doors. Rear doors are a bit more convoluted. I know S and X have in-door. Not sure on 3 and Y. Also have in frunk and trunk for all models.

Either way. RTFML if you want to protect yourself and family.

Can’t wait for them to disprove this nonsense.
Rear doors on 3/Y do not have emergency releases because of child locks. This is the same setup for dozens of modern cars, basically any with electronic door locks such as the Mach-E, newer Mercedes, Volvos etc.

An easily accessible emergency release would make child locks pointless. This is a common bit of FUD that really highlights how easy people can be tricked.

Checks TMC today....Noone bickering about Elon's tweets. Noone stating Twitter sucks, Noone complaining of service issues and panel gaps...Looks at Share Price...O'K, that explains it. So predictable.
I think you are looking at the wrong causation. Elon is happy, so that flows down to us minions. :) Happy Elon focuses on positive stuff and improving the world. Grumpy Elon engages trolls on Twitter.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 205342.png

Last edited:
I think you are looking at the wrong causation. Elon is happy, so that flows down to us minions. :) Happy Elon focuses on positive stuff and improving the world. Grumpy Elon engages trolls on Twitter.
View attachment 809238
No. this rests on many TMC posters here which is whom i was referencing. Elon doesn't give a ratsass what TSLA share price is from day to day, but many posters have shown their true colours in the last couple of weeks and it ain't pretty. Out for a quick buck. Saving humanity be damned.

@The Accountant , your above post has received 189 up votes. Well deserved. All those at TMC who up voted, lets get together and take out a full page ad in the New York Times and simply include @The Accountant 's post (with his permission first of course) with a link to TMC. I'm up for my share.

Tesla is the World's biggest secret and only those that work at Tesla, those here at TMC, and a handful of elite thinkers seem to know what is going on. Let's fill the World in on our secret. It is time.

You want to legitimize the New York Times and help fund them by taking out a full-page ad? 🤪

That's the definition of zany! They are not worthy of @The Accountant !