Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specifically on mining I did think that using electricity to plate Lithium might be a good way of extracting Lithium from clay.

Chemical flow-sheets can be highly specific to a particular deposit, but electricity might work for a wider range of deposits.

I am also warming to the idea of Tesla making their own single crystal cathodes, becuase Chinese supply is limited and expensive.

When a company is prepared to take on hard challenges, those hard and rewarding challenges are not hard to find. Identifing the problem and solving it are 2 different things. But they never do it if they don't try, and if they do succeed the pay off is substantial.

These mining/processing challenges seem an order of magnitude easier than FSD.

No. this rests on many TMC posters here which is whom i was referencing. Elon doesn't give a ratsass what TSLA share price is from day to day, but many posters have shown their true colours in the last couple of weeks and it ain't pretty. Out for a quick buck. Saving humanity be damned.
Very true. There was a time when I thought a number of posters here were bi-polar because they kept flipping from bullish to irrationally bearish. I couldn't figure them out until I realized they switched colors depending upon whether their net position was bullish or bearish (although they never came out and disclosed when they were short, preferring to pretend they were simply a skeptical long).

However, I've noticed some of those posters have not flipped into their bear mode for some time, instead remaining more bullish than ever. My take-away is they found that trying to time TSLA did not turn out as profitable as buy/hold. Because the market tends to zig when people think it will zag.

If only the market would behave more rationally, they could make a killing switching sides at the right moments. :oops:

Last edited:
Good on BYD to pass up VW.
Maybe OT, but imo this car by BYD, which happens to have a lot of elements of Tesla, seems to be pretty damn good value compared to non Tesla alternatives:
  • Standard Range, RWD Elite:
    Price (post-subsidy): 212,800 CNY ($31,795)
    CLTC range: 550 km (342 miles)
    system output: 150 kW
  • Standard Range RWD Premium:
    Price (post-subsidy): 225,800 CNY ($33,738)
  • Long Range RWD:
    Price (post-subsidy): 262,800 CNY ($39,266)
    CLTC range: 700 km (435 miles)
    system output: 230 kW
  • Long Range AWD Performance:
    Price (post-subsidy): 289,800 CNY ($43,300)
    CLTC range: 650 km (404 miles)
    system output: 390 kW and 0-100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration in 3.8 seconds

Imo it’s time for VW, Toyota, GM etc start to feel an existential threat from Tesla, BYD and other Chinese automakers.

Maybe OT, but imo this car by BYD, which happens to have a lot of elements of Tesla, seems to be pretty damn good value compared to non Tesla alternatives:
  • Standard Range, RWD Elite:
    Price (post-subsidy): 212,800 CNY ($31,795)
  • Standard Range RWD Premium:
    Price (post-subsidy): 225,800 CNY ($33,738)
  • Long Range RWD:
    Price (post-subsidy): 262,800 CNY ($39,266)
    CLTC range: 700 km (435 miles)
    system output: 230 kW
  • Long Range AWD Performance:
    Price (post-subsidy): 289,800 CNY ($43,300)
    CLTC range: 650 km (404 miles)
    system output: 390 kW and 0-100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration in 3.8 seconds

Imo it’s time for VW, Toyota, GM etc start to feel an existential threat from Tesla, BYD and other Chinese automakers.
This is probably why the Tesla design studio in Shanghai is the one working on the $25k car. The car is probably quite good for the price, and many Chinese consumers will choose this rather than the much more expensive Model 3 or Y.

What rocket was that that proved it in the 60s? Only vertical landing rocket system from the 60s I'm aware of was the apollo lander, which obviously wasn't operating with earth gravity so is apples to sputniks of a comparison. There's a few pre-spacex examples of actual VTVL demo units in the 90s (the DC-X for example which AFAIK is the first actual vertical landing on earth but didn't go very high either) and early 2000s, but even then largely just tiny prototype POCs to low altitudes.....Nobody actually proved a workable orbital class VTVL rocket until SpaceX.
As others have said - and you have yourself noted with the DC-X comment - the lineage is there back in the 60s, if not the execution.

An explanation is Philip Bono SASSTO 1967 leading to Delta Clipper DC-X 1991 then to Carmack Armadillo, Blue Origin new Shepard etc. Even the spiral programmatic aspects and COTS aspects are there in DC-X.

You could say that the only real change that SpaceX made was to ditch the cross-range criteria for one-orbit-only reland from polar spysat insertion, which was what crippled both the Shuttle and DC-X and is a military-driven desirable feature (I would argue, not a true 'need'). Plus of course the non-trivial matter of relatively assured funding (at least in comparison with NASA) and the technology base (design & mfg) having greatly matured in the interim.

(On a side note I don't think we've ever really gotten the full inside account on relationships in both directions between Carmack Armadillo and Musk SpaceX. Many things were very openly discussed, but not all, at least that is my suspicion.)

Didn't see this previously mentioned. Tesla has a new info/promo video out about Megapack installation nearly Boulder City, NV

It bothers me a bit that Tesla spends time and resources to produce these videos about Tesla Energy (there are several now), and Elon tweets about *anything* but these. Tesla Energy is absolutely crucial for the mission, and it gets buried by noise and BS all the time. Uff.

Unfortunately, the world won't believe the secret is true.
Give it some time to let the products (and the size of the business) speak for itself.

If in a couple of years Tesla vehicles and stationary storage are a much more common sight to behold, and Tesla produces millions of vehilces per year and being amongst the largest vehicle manufacturers in the world, people will have gotten so used to it they can't imagine a world without Tesla anymore.

Also, if FSD were to happen and Optimus gains traction, the secret won't stay secret for very long.

Give it some time to let the products (and the size of the business) speak for itself.

If in a couple of years Tesla vehicles and stationary storage are a much more common sight to behold, and Tesla produces millions of vehilces per year and being amongst the largest vehicle manufacturers in the world, people will have gotten so used to it they can't imagine a world without Tesla anymore.

Also, if FSD were to happen and Optimus gains traction, the secret won't stay secret for very long.
Yeah, at that point it's not a secret any more.

But if you tell them now they won't believe it. Or at least they won't believe/understand the implications.

Most people still don't believe that ICE vehicles will stop being sold in a few years.

Breaking news! (just had to try doing it this way once :rolleyes:)

Yay! J.D. Powerless has found the numbers are rising in the USA for percentage of people who say their next car will be an EV.

Understanding why Growth Companies have a higher P/E (Share Price divided by Earnings per Share)
A man walks into a unique gadget store and sees a money printing machine on sale for $20.
The store owner tells the customer that the machine prints a $1 bill once per year.
Not bad thinks the customer . . . ."that's a 5% return with a 20 year payback".
The customer then sees a second money printing machine but this one is priced at $100.
The customer asks the store owner, "What does this $100 machine print"?
The store owner responds, "it will print $1 today"
The customer is confused, Why is it priced at $100, I can just buy the $20 machine for that $1"?
"oh" said the store owner, "you didn't let me finish, . . it prints $1 today, $2 next year, $3 the year following and a dollar more in each successive year".

Last edited:
@The Accountant , your above post has received 189 up votes. Well deserved. All those at TMC who up voted, lets get together and take out a full page ad in the New York Times and simply include @The Accountant 's post (with his permission first of course) with a link to TMC. I'm up for my share.

Tesla is the World's biggest secret and only those that work at Tesla, those here at TMC, and a handful of elite thinkers seem to know what is going on. Let's fill the World in on our secret. It is time.
Please don’t, it’s our competitive edge

Premarket is looking positive, 2% green, let's see if it holds through initial trading
April Core CPE number came in at expectations, which continue to show that March was the peak of inflation. Given the additional bits of inflation data we’ve gotten in real-time, May’s inflation numbers are likely to show a continuing decline in inflation.

If March was indeed peak inflation and now we’re in a significant downslope of inflation, the Fed is going to back off in a major way