Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. No paint! By itself that saves at least $500 unit cost. Factory wraps, etc will be another huge money maker by automating a normally manual process. Not cost reduction, per se, but astronomical margins!

No argument that no paint saves $. And there's been a couple comments about they'd "offer" wraps to some degree.

But have we seen any evidence Tesla has (or is even working on) a fully automated, cheap, high quality, method of wrapping vehicles?

Because that'd be a massive industry disruption- and an extremely complex engineering solve given even manual applications are often difficult to get right.

It is funny, that it is ok to discuss e.g. SpaceX launches in this thread (zero effect to TSLA) but not Twitter deal (Musk's selling to finance it tanked TSLA 10%).
Big difference. SpaceX announcements don't get into a rathole. Twitter discussions - although much more germane to $TSLA - gets into circular discussions with hundreds of posts increasing the noise.

Unemployment rate is at pre-pandemic levels so it seems most people are back to work.
Not quite. The pandemic caused a lot of people to reconsider their approach to work (Great Resignation etc) and withdraw from the labour market, thereby reducing the participation rate. "the participation rate measures the percentage of Americans who are in the labour force, while the unemployment rate measures the percentage within the labor force that is currently without a job" Participation Rate vs. Unemployment Rate: What's the Difference?

So while the unemployment rate may be back to pre-pandemic levels, their can be less people in work overall because a number have decided they don't want to work anymore.

Unemployment rate is at pre-pandemic levels so it seems most people are back to work.
And yet job openings is about 65% higher than it was pre-pandemic. Meaning that data and that persons interpretation of it are pretty much right. There’s plenty of jobs out there. Households with only one income sources just don’t feel the need for the 2nd person to have a job. Likely because they have a ton of built up savings

So while the unemployment rate may be back to pre-pandemic levels, their can be less people in work overall because a number have decided they don't want to work anymore.

...or at least waiting out until AI has (more) major changes in the world in the next 5-10 years and spending time with family + friends instead.

It is quite logical for people to regard this as implausible. The questions begin to be a trifle less dismissive when one considers:
1. A 9000 ton Gigapress. Does that imply a single cast undercarriage with the Giga stamping attach points and parts inclusion we already see with Model Y front and rear? We don’t know.
2. Exo-skeleton. We know what enormous benefits that has in some aircraft and other vehicles. We can only imagine for Cybertruck.
3. No paint! By itself that saves at least $500 unit cost. Factory wraps, etc will be another huge money maker by automating a normally manual process. Not cost reduction, per se, but astronomical margins!

The list goes on. I am convinced that @Usain could be correct, even if the odds seem low.

In my very humble opinion I suspect the singular impediment is battery cost.

We all should keep in mind that the F150 and Silverado plus their derivatives (Escalade, Suburban, Expedition, Navigator) account for well above 100% of GM and Ford profits. Although they go to enormous lengths to hide this, these are their sole keys to survival.
(anybody can argue, but when doing so understand that their small vehicles just act to reduce fleet fuel economy and other standards, plus always have positive contribution to overhead, a critical factor.)

Now consider Tesla. Cybertruck will have very low labor cost, low factor space, highly scalable production. It will be, as it is, a demand for technological wizardry with stainless steel. Even the 9000 ton press is a scale issue, but Tesla/Idra know how to do it.

So, why is it ’impossible’ for @Usain to be correct?

PS he did NOT say cheapest in the world, just the US. The US has not been very successful with the cheapest production since River Rouge was producing Model T, has it?

I'm pretty sure Usain was specifically referencing the Model Y, not Cybertruck. Nothing is impossible, I suppose. But I would be shocked if Tesla ever produces a Model Y or Cybertruck at $20k or less per unit.

And yet job openings is about 65% higher than it was pre-pandemic. Meaning that data and that persons interpretation of it are pretty much right. There’s plenty of jobs out there. Households with only one income sources just don’t feel the need for the 2nd person to have a job. Likely because they have a ton of built up savings
How does one year of build up saving change the earning course of a household especially when rent and prices are up 30%? I am blown away at this if true.

I'm pretty sure Usain was specifically referencing the Model Y, not Cybertruck. Nothing is impossible, I suppose. But I would be shocked if Tesla ever produces a Model Y or Cybertruck at $20k or less per unit.
Yes, I was referencing the Austin 4680 Model Y. But Cybertruck makes for an interesting comparison as well.

If Subaru can sell a "made in USA" Impreza for 20K MSRP, why couldn't Tesla get its cost below that?

That's assuming Subaru is not selling at a loss, but still.

Reactions: MC3OZ
In the “buy a clue” category:

US Crosses the Electric-Car Tipping Point for Mass Adoption​

For the past six months, the US joined Europe and China — collectively the three largest car markets — in moving beyond the 5% tipping point. If the US follows the trend established by 18 countries that came before it, a quarter of new car sales could be electric by the end of 2025. That would be a year or two ahead of most major forecasts.

Apologies if posted earlier

How does one year of build up saving change the earning course of a household especially when rent and prices are up 30%? I am blown away at this if true.
It's not one year of savings, it's since 2009. Living in a home bought in 2010 and refinanced to 2.5% in 2021.

Rational GenX folks like myself are hitting 45-50 and realizing we've been killing ourselves on behalf of corporations for no reason.

And Millennials never really started. They knew burning out and corporate allegiance was pointless.

Yes, I was referencing the Austin 4680 Model Y. But Cybertruck makes for an interesting comparison as well.

If Subaru can sell a "made in USA" Impreza for 20K MSRP, why couldn't Tesla get its cost below that?

That's assuming Subaru is not selling at a loss, but still.

Because the Model Y is a much more premium vehicle, made with more premium components/materials. Guess what Subaru's official sales slogan was when they first appeared in the US market- "Cheap and ugly". I think Tesla could very well manufacture the cheapest to produce vehicle on the US market at some point, but it won't be the Model Y or Cybertruck.

I'm not sure how that contradicts my statement that most people are back to work. Participation rate is about 1% lower than before the pandemic.

I'm not sure how that contradicts my statement that most people are back to work. Participation rate is about 1% lower than before the pandemic.

I can add a little here from something I learned:

The BLS tracks these rates based on data that's available if someone is actively trying to find work (or participate in the labor force). After a certain cut-off of time period (I think its 6 months), there's no way to track those individuals. So, as an example, those that decide to live off of something like investments (or dividends, as an example) past the cut-off time period are not accounted for in the unemployment rate nor participation rate.

Due to the extended amount of savings and the longevity of the pandemic, no one exactly knows what's the total number of people that have left the labor force entirely.

Jobs didn't invent the smartphone, not even remotely close. He simply demanded that a well put together team of engineers replicate a sleeker one, then promoted the hell out of it.

Read up on it before you start tithing and kneeling.
Since this is the weekend and we're allowed to digress ... let's try and digress in a correct way. AFAIK:

The MAIN achievement of Steve Jobs (after creating the iPhone) was to break the stranglehold AT&T and other telephone companies had over the cellphone companies. At the time all cellphone makers had to sell their phones through these companies, and each cellphone was completely tailored and unique to that company.

By first ONLY selling the iPhone through AT&T Steve got the ball rolling - eventually letting Google's Android finish up the job of breaking that de facto (what do you call it - monopoly of accomplices). Someone must know better all the exact details.

Jobs didn't invent the smartphone, not even remotely close. He simply demanded that a well put together team of engineers replicate a sleeker one, then promoted the hell out of it.

Read up on it before you start tithing and kneeling.
More correctly, Jobs made the smartphone usable. Previous smartphones required looking up how to do anything other than making a basic phone call in the manual because they were so unintuitive. My guess is that most who purchased a pre-iPhone smartphone never did much besides basic phone calls. The first iPhone had a user interface that was a work of art—so was V6 of the Tesla UI.

... I think Ford can eventually eke out a small profit on the F-150 lightning and cater to their loyal F-150 fan base. Maybe Ford will even stay in business...
The problem is that each F-150 Lightning Ford sells replaces a high margin ICE F-150 (more or less). That business model will NOT keep Ford solvent.