Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4680 Battery Pack: What We Found Under the Foam! | Munro Live on Youtube (2 hrs ago)

"Sandy and Cory give an update on the 4680 Battery Pack from our Austin-Built Tesla Model Y."​

Lol, 3 weeks into the teardown, and they still don't know the no. of cells in the pack. :p

Cheers!
Clearly, if you hadn't already surmised this, these structural batteries are DEFINITELY "no user serviceable parts inside"...or for that matter, "no serviceable parts inside, period". It might be nice if for whatever reason, if Tesla needed to replace something inside these packs, they could...but, alas, no way, no how. If anything inside these packs needs replacing, the entire pack needs to be replaced and the old one goes (literally) in the recycling chipper. As an owner=Under warranty, so what...after warranty, ouch! Very likely not even 3rd party options (ie Gruber motors). As a stockholder=Sure hope Tesla's quality control is amazing on these re:warranty claims. BTW- I'm sure Tesla knew this years ago, the moment they traded around the concept of a structural battery pack filled with structural adhesive.

4680 Battery Pack: What We Found Under the Foam! | Munro Live on Youtube (2 hrs ago)

"Sandy and Cory give an update on the 4680 Battery Pack from our Austin-Built Tesla Model Y."​

Lol, 3 weeks into the teardown, and they still don't know the no. of cells in the pack. :p

Cheers!

Sort of the hallmark of a good composite material. Ideally a composite should act and function like a single piece once it's been completed. Ever try separating a piece of plywood into the strips of wood that it's composed of? To some degree, same thing going on here. It's no longer a bunch of batteries in a giant container, to any outside forces acting on it, it's one single piece.

or for that matter, "no serviceable parts inside, period". It might be nice if for whatever reason, if Tesla needed to replace something inside these packs, they could...but, alas, no way, no how. If anything inside these packs needs replacing, the entire pack needs to be replaced and the old one goes (literally) in the recycling chipper.
That isn't true. All of the electronics, contactors, etc. that are in the "penthouse" section of the battery pack are serviceable. And they are what fails most often.

Sure, if a cell goes bad, the pack has to be replaced. But that is true of ALL Tesla packs. Not a single Tesla designed pack can be repaired after a cell goes bad.

Everything is green and JPow is gonna speak today. What are the odds things stay green today...?
The last couple of FOMC meetings everything closed green and dumped the next day. Let’s see if this time is different. I think it will be more important to hear about the plans for next hikes and QT than today’s 75 or 100 bps decision.

Wow, the R&D gap is that large? It's astonishing that GM would spend so little on R&D.

Well, I could just have well said "infinitely more on R&D that matters", because Ultimium will not be paid for by GM, it'll be funded by the US Gov't (and it's polishing a turd). :p

Meanwhile, Tesla is making silicon anodes, structural packs, and AI robot cars and drivers.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Actually somewhere around 7/8 of the video (recommend running it at 2X w/ captions ON ) - Sandy mentions it is either 816 ( 36x4 x 4 ) or 828.

Edit: since I screenshotted it it is at the 10:24 mark

TESLA.Munroe.4680.816.jpg

Last edited:
Partly OT... $41,850 trade-in offer on our Model 3 LR. Is Tesla Low balling us, it has FSD.

It's a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD, 31K mi, and they said it "includes value for FSD" but nothing is broken out. There is a tax advantage bc we'd only pay taxes on the difference, so maybe this is like $45K equivalent trade-in value. My aluminum wheels are scuffed but could be refinished, rear interior door panel ripped 3/4" near bottom, not original orange top glass, but that's it and all fully disclosed with zero body damage.

So similar to the Service discussions here recently, I think Tesla's is also making some (small) coin in their own Used Auto market. Maybe it's more of a convenience to help the sale a new one. But why make this difficult? Clear title, we could sell this over the weekend, but dog hair's gonna be a pain to clean. Or could it be they have too many vehicles and don't want mine?

Partly OT... $41,850 trade-in offer on our Model 3 LR. Is Tesla Low balling us, it has FSD.

It's a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD, 31K mi, and they said it "includes value for FSD" but nothing is broken out. There is a tax advantage bc we'd only pay taxes on the difference, so maybe this is like $45K equivalent trade-in value. My aluminum wheels are scuffed but could be refinished, rear interior door panel ripped 3/4" near bottom, not original orange top glass, but that's it and all fully disclosed with zero body damage.

So similar to the Service discussions here recently, I think Tesla's is also making some (small) coin in their own Used Auto market. Maybe it's more of a convenience to help the sale a new one. But why make this difficult? Clear title, we could sell this over the weekend, but dog hair's gonna be a pain to clean. Or could it be they have too many vehicles and don't want mine?
Personally, I think it is this. They have a nice steady rate of cars coming off lease now and probably don't need more sitting around for the limited amount of sales staff that needs to focus on selling new cars.

Tesla is ALREADY 1.36x more profitable than GM, while producing a fifth the number of vehicles: (and paying for 10x the R&D that really matters for the coming decade)
In my estimation we are within 12 months of Tesla finally becoming more profitable than TOYOTA while producing a fifth the number of vehicles. Probably Q4 or Q1.

Toyota Motor Corp normally has posted $5-6B quarterly net income in the years since the Great Recession ended (link).

For so long, the debate on TSLA valuation between bulls and bears has often centered around comparisons to Toyota on the basis that Toyota makes around 10 million vehicles per year while Tesla was making only a few hundred thousand. Now Tesla is rapidly showing the world that they can add millions of cars to annual production capacity in astonishingly short timeframes and the effect of the gross margin and operating leverage is about to manifest in bottom line earnings BIG TIME.

Even investors who have little understanding of Tesla can understand better when they see Tesla make more total profit than anyone else in the car industry on a fraction of the sales volume. Such low-understanding investors include casual retail traders as well as fund managers who are benchmarked against indices like the S&P 500 who currently are underweight on TSLA or even hold no TSLA at all.

Last edited:

Completely off topic but I'll bite...

That is a terrible offer, go to carmax, Carvana, etc. and get a quote, you won't be dissapointed.

As far as investing goes, to keep this vaguely on topic. This a a GREAT sign for demand. High demand means mega profits and no need to reduce car prices over the foreseeable future. Why anyone thinks the stock price isn't a good deal right now I just can't fathom...

1658943346054.png
1658943353015.png

Talk to Carmax for comparison. Decide on how much effort you want to put into this.

TSLA beat all other offers by THOUSANDS on our FSD 3 trade in.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster

What's the reason for trading it in?

Reactions: SOULPEDL