Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Good news!

UhxtL6n.gif

The annual inflation rate in the US slowed more than expected to 8.5% in July of 2022 from an over 40-year high of 9.1% hit in June, and below market forecasts of 8.7%. Compared to the previous month, the CPI was unchanged, after rising at a 17-year high rate of 1.3%, and also below forecasts of 0.2%. The gasoline index fell 7.7 percent in July and offset increases in the food and shelter indexes. Also, core inflation was steady at 5.9%, also beating market forecasts of a 6.1%, and offering some support that inflation has finally peaked.

source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

CPI report shows U.S.’s annual inflation rate slowing to 8.5% in July | Marketwatch

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 10MthActualForecastPrevious
8:30 amConsumer price indexJuly0.0%0.2%1.3%
8:30 amCore CPIJuly0.3%0.5%0.7%
8:30 amCPI (year-over-year)July8.5%8.7%9.1%
8:30 amCore CPI (year-over-year)July5.9%6.1%5.9%
8:30 amCore CPI (3-month average, annualized)July6.8%--7.9%

its-a-boy-5bed3b.jpg

Last edited:
The annual inflation rate in the US slowed more than expected to 8.5% in July of 2022 from an over 40-year high of 9.1% hit in June, and below market forecasts of 8.7%. Compared to the previous month, the CPI was unchanged, after rising at a 17-year high rate of 1.3%, and also below forecasts of 0.2%. The gasoline index fell 7.7 percent in July and offset increases in the food and shelter indexes. Also, core inflation was steady at 5.9%, also beating market forecasts of a 6.1%, and offering some support that inflation has finally peaked.

source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

CPI report shows U.S.’s annual inflation rate slowing to 8.5% in July | Marketwatch

That’s a good print… it didn’t turn negative for July like it felt, but .2% down across the board is a good thing and the market will like it.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Disappointed there were more Elon sales, but at least now we know what was holding the stock down. Tough to raise into that pressure.
I do like his reasoning. If the judge forces Elon to buy Tesla, the market will dump Tesla 10+% to front run Elons sales which can result in Elon selling more shares to make up the money.

I do like his reasoning. If the judge forces Elon to buy Tesla, the market will dump Tesla 10+% to front run Elons sales which can result in Elon selling more shares to make up the money.
I understand it and he’s well within his rights to do so… just not a great thing for the stock price (not that he cares much there). Adds a bunch of ammo to the FUD on not trusting Elon and he’ll keep selling… even if he is actually done.

Does a judge in this sort of civil trial rule immediately? Or is there normally a days/weeks long delay before issuing a ruling?
The judge in this case is known for quick decisions. She, famous in Chancery Court watchers, is a serious workaholic and writes her decisions rapidy. The NY Post, of all places, provided a good summary:

10yr treasuries hitting a 4 month low. WTI down 5% to $94.

I would looooove to see two really tough US crude supply reports the next two Wednesdays and cap it off with a calm CPI report on the 10th.

We have a real good chance to put this inflation peak behind us the next couple weeks. July showed real world price declines, the numbers should reflect that next Wednesday.

Onward and upward!
We're about 4/5 of the way to all this stuff coming together today. Just need the actual EIA weekly crude supply report to confirm oversupply and keep a cap on WTI as the markets rip higher. Big day.

Another reason to hope the Twitter deal falls through. Maybe some of you can finally realize this was not 3D chess by Elon, he put himself in a position of being forced to sell TSLA again because of the Twitter mess.
From being on the verge of bankruptcy to the wealthiest man alive,
can inflate one’s ego. He clearly got carried away.

The judge in this case is known for quick decisions. She, famous in Chancery Court watchers, is a serious workaholic and writes her decisions rapidy. The NY Post, of all places, provided a good summary:
I was shocked when the NYPost had a more accurate/balance article over the ridiculous affair claims around Sergi's ex wife. Meanwhile at the Wall Street Journal 🤡

Another reason to hope the Twitter deal falls through. Maybe some of you can finally realize this was not 3D chess by Elon, he put himself in a position of being forced to sell TSLA again because of the Twitter mess.

Yeah, well, getting it done in front of a positive CPI certainly will get things back to normal quicker than would have waiting to sell until after the judge's decision.

Some might say it is always gonna be easier for people who aren't good at 3D chess to be critical of the moves made by those who are. 🤔

In Elon I trust.

X.com was Elon’s original vision to revolutionize the entire financial industry. He never came remotely close to fulfilling that vision, but he did make hundreds of millions when one piece of it — PayPal— succeeded.

Based on his comment at the annual meeting, he still wants to completely disrupt the financial industry with X.com. He hasn’t let that vision go. Anyone here surprised by that?

In trying to disrupt an uncountable number of industries, simultaneously, Elon is likely to have many spectacular failures. But he’s also demonstrated an uncanny ability to carve out spectacular successes.

As a TSLA investor, I’m not too concerned about his other ventures. Yes, Twitter would take away some of his attention to Tesla (and X.com even more so) but c’mon, the guy already has way too much on his plate, but he’s built a strong team to keep Tesla on its dizzying trajectory.

As an Elon observer, and someone who believes that disruption is desirable and possible, I couldn’t be more excited to watch how this all plays out. There has never, ever ever, been a disruptor as potent as Elon before. And he’s just getting started. Both his failures and successes are going to be epic.
Personally, I suspect the Twitter reboot plus x.com refresh would not take very much Elon time. Nearly all the effort is in positioning and directing effort, rather than technical breakthroughs.
It has been a long time since I paid attention to the x.com/PayPal issues, and some time since looking at Twitter, so I don’t represent this post as fact, but do think of it as informed opinion, perhaps out-of-date too much.

Despite that I’d be amazed if all this took very much of his time.

Yeah, well, getting it done in front of a positive CPI certainly will get things back to normal quicker than would have waiting to sell until after the judge's decision.

Some might say it is always gonna be easier for people who aren't good at 3D chess to be critical of the moves made by those who are. 🤔

In Elon I trust.
Dude, put down the Kool-aid

Personally, I suspect the Twitter reboot plus x.com refresh would not take very much Elon time. Nearly all the effort is in positioning and directing effort, rather than technical breakthroughs.
It has been a long time since I paid attention to the x.com/PayPal issues, and some time since looking at Twitter, so I don’t represent this post as fact, but do think of it as informed opinion, perhaps out-of-date too much.

Despite that I’d be amazed if all this took very much of his time.
He might as well buy PayPal and merge it with twitter.