Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

32% of their portfolio. Pretty gutsy.

Top Increases This Quarter​

We use the change in the portfolio allocation because this is the most meaningful metric. Changes can be due to trades or changes in share prices.

SecurityShares
(MM)
Value
(MM$)
Portfolio %ΔPortfolio %
TSLA / Tesla Motors, Inc.15.2710,413.4632.579730.7219
BMY / Bristol-Myers Squibb Co5.68436.441.36541.1637
GOOGL / Alphabet Inc0.26563.651.76340.6962
XEL / Xcel Energy Inc2.95208.370.65190.5307
DTE / DTE Energy Co1.24156.680.49020.4497
NI / NiSource Inc.3.80112.040.35050.2644
ICE / Intercontinental Exchange Inc0.8983.720.26190.2110
ET / Energy Transfer LP35.74356.751.11610.2101
JPM / JPMorgan Chase & Co.1.81204.600.64010.1878
Well hedged with JPM

We use the change in the portfolio allocation because this is the most meaningful metric. Changes can be due to trades or changes in share prices.

SecurityShares
(MM)
Value
(MM$)
Portfolio %ΔPortfolio %

Not gutsy enough around here. MORE! 😁

Could well be a hoax meant to garner views. especially as he posted to 10 or so influential folks ( Elon, Gary Black, Sawyer Meritt etc ) and none of them retweeted it. The latest information about major TSLA shareholders lists Natixis a long way down the list, with half a million shares only.
Of course they *could* have been buying recently, and the poster had private information (via a Natixis contact in Israel where he's located).

Time will tell, but not looking great re creds. Unless someone sues him for "counter FUD" LOL

View attachment 840654

View attachment 840656

My earlier post, for reference, now with caveat as to credibility.
Looks like it is legit. The first corroboration I could find was the fintel link, but I couldn't find the sec filing for awhile so I was doubtful.

Here's the SEC link:

And here is the SEC table of the 13-f filing. Scrolling down it does appear approx 15 million share increase in Tesla holdings was filed on Aug 12th for the period ending June 30th.

Too diversified. 🤣

4C8A3E32-F35C-496A-BF6C-D909DC67EE62.jpeg

Every situation is unique but spending too much too early in life can definitely make it harder to retire when you want.
Let me relate a story about investing that my grandmother told me about my grandfather. They were a young married couple. She was teaching school and he was a law student. They didn't have much.

One evening, he asked my grandmother to take a walk downtown with him to the pawn shop. When she asked why he said, "I want to look in the window and tell time by my own watch!"

My grandfather had pawned his watch to buy some stock. He kept buying stocks his entire life and never sold a single share. He retired early, lived off dividends, and left behind a portfolio worth millions.

I think you can take the link that @SunCatcher provided to confirm Natixis did, indeed, purchase the 15 million shares during 2Q.
It is a good link and, I suggest worthy of all to peruse. You also can see what companies they sold, in part or in full.
But they still had a big infusion from somewhere. TSLA buy must have been July 20.

edit: except, not if it was done during 2Q. Interesting as July 20 pop in portfolio value is around the right magnitude for 15 million shares, as is the pop in TSLA volume 🤔

natixis-market-value.png

9AFF8878-FCFC-4887-A186-C7CC259198BE.jpeg

Last edited:
But they still had a big infusion from somewhere. TSLA buy must have been July 20.

natixis-market-value.png

View attachment 840665

From the SEC filing the purchase was for the period ending June 30, and was filed Aug 12, yesterday

Note that they also purchased call and put options (paging our experts from the other thread). Maybe they have smart traders there, like at Renaissance, the French are good at quants.

TSLA.Natixis.SEC.jpg

This US protectionist subsidy will only be effective if the cost advantage of a China-made EV is less than $5-10k away from a US-made EV. The jury is out, but the last time the US ran a similar experiment the Japanese cleaned up.

There are plenty of dead Western brands in the history bin that once thought they had positive value. You only have to look at the branding of most US autos abroad to realise that the management teams are aware of the concept of negative brand value. The primary honourable exception is Ford.

There is an EXTREME anti-China sentiment in the USA. It would be a far greater up-hill battle than the Japanese (who were our "partner" and "friend") had in the 70s through 90s.

Possible, but IMHO you would need more like a 15-20k pricing advantage to overcome that stigmata.

Hmmmm….. I was just checking and there’s 18 Plaids available in Florida. The wait time for a low option 3 or y is down to a couple of months. Methinks the waitlists are beginning to disappear.
Base Y is still 4 and a half to 7 and half months…… not two months

Base 3 is 2 and a half to 4 and a half months .

You still have people that ordered in 2021 that are still waiting to take delivery of their 3/Y orders

And that's with the upgraded wheels. If you want the base model Y with 19" wheels, delivery is Apr-Jul 2023.
Correct, I actually forgot to switch to base wheels so the wait time for the base 3 is longer than I said.

And this is before the EV credit officially passes. Which I think everyone can agree, is going to kick Y demand into the stratosphere. I wouldn’t at all be surprised by a year and a half wait time…..even with Austin ramping

Last edited:

SecurityShares
(MM)
Value
(MM$)
Portfolio %ΔPortfolio %
Eeek, I'm 3XGutsy.

What is understated here when people look at Rivian and Lucid is that Tesla has NEVER made a negative gross profit since IPO. They had positive profit margins every quarter no matter how small. Musk makes a point of never losing money on product they make after learning his lesson from roaster 1.0. Total company loss after expenses yes, but always positive when you minus COGS from revenue.

Auto manufacturing, EV or ICE, is one of the toughest, riskiest industries in the world. A modern car averages 30,000 individual parts, each to be designed (or selected), thousands of vendors to be managed, with supply chains always threatened by various global pressures. Every new vehicle is a massive investment in design and engineering time, facilities, manufacturing equipment and tooling, let alone qualification testing (crash tests, EPA, various safety mandates). Every new manufacturer is going against others with a century of experience in design, engineering and manufacturing. Not every company that wants to jump into that fray is going to survive, no matter the hype. The fact that Tesla managed to do so says a tremendous amount about their management.

OK I AM GOING TO CALL IT NOW.

BS! Our leader claims that Model 3LR ordering has been halted because of the long wait period. Come on? Some of you are smarter than an ant?
It is going to have something dramatically different... probably as a result of the EV incentive thing... could be something else. Any clues from you humans?

Let me relate a story about investing that my grandmother told me about my grandfather. They were a young married couple. She was teaching school and he was a law student. They didn't have much.

One evening, he asked my grandmother to take a walk downtown with him to the pawn shop. When she asked why he said, "I want to look in the window and tell time by my own watch!"

My grandfather had pawned his watch to buy some stock. He kept buying stocks his entire life and never sold a single share. He retired early, lived off dividends, and left behind a portfolio worth millions.

And now, the rest of the story.

My mother now owns half of my grandfather's portfolio. For my 50th birthday she gave me a little of his stock. I haven't had the heart to tell her that I sold it to buy more TSLA.

True story.

OK I AM GOING TO CALL IT NOW.

BS! Our leader claims that Model 3LR ordering has been halted because of the long wait period. Come on? Some of you are smarter than an ant?
It is going to have something dramatically different... probably as a result of the EV incentive thing... could be something else. Any clues from you humans?
My guess, the type of batteries in the lr awd are going into semi, mY, and performance 3s. They will continue to allocate what they can for the backlog for the m3 lr but then allocate the rest to semi mass manufacturing until 4680s can reduce MYs need for 2170s.

The closure of the m3 lr awd came just a day after Elon said Semi shipping this year.

Closing Canada orders suggest it has nothing to do with the tax credit, and not closing SR+ suggest its related to batteries. Not closing the model Y or X ordering suggest it had nothing to do with back logs.

My guess that there's not enough 2170s for Semis if they leave m3 awd lr orders open fits the "too much demand" narrative. I think they are going to reduce m3 awd lr production by allocating a portion to Semis and perhaps even transfer some line workers to semi.

Last edited:
My guess, the type of batteries in the lr awd are going into semi, mY, and performance 3s. They will continue to allocate what they can for the backlog for the m3 lr but then allocate the rest to semi mass manufacturing until 4680s can reduce MYs need for 2170s.

The closure of the m3 lr awd came just a day after Elon said Semi shipping this year.

Closing Canada orders suggest it has nothing to do with the tax credit, and not closing SR+ suggest its related to batteries. Not closing the model Y or X ordering suggest it had nothing to do with back logs.

My guess that there's not enough 2170s for Semis if they leave m3 awd lr orders open fits the "too much demand" narrative. I think they are going to reduce m3 awd lr production by allocating a portion to Semis and perhaps even transfer some line workers to semi.

FYI Model 3 LR in Taiwan is also unavailable to order. Taiwan gets all the Tesla vehicles from Fremont and everyone should know the reasons already.