Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an insurance professional, this is utterly astonishing. It shows why most people need some counsel on making risk management and financial/legal decisions. He has a current insurance agent who, correctly, advised him to take a commercial auto policy with $1m CSL liability limits. He has a 16 year old, and 4 Tesla's. Of course it's going to be expensive. He probably has (or should have) an umbrella on top of that.

He just cancelled that for a personal policy (coverage issues may arise, as the vehicles are titled to a LLC), while chopping coverage from $1,000,000 to 100/300/50. So now, if his 16 year old totaled out someone else's $100k SUV and sends them to the hospital, he's severely underinsured.

He just blithely said, "Ehh...yeah I think that lower limit is enough". This guy probably has a net worth of >$10m. Insanity.

Ugh, typical YouTube hype BS. The 50% reduction really came from reducing coverages.

California’s stance on this is somewhat reasonably grounded in privacy concerns.

Too damned many companies tracking entirely too much about us, securing super private data poorly and whoring it out to the highest bidder. Do you really want Facebook & Google to know more about your daily life?

But in this case it’s misguided. I don’t think Tesla actually uploads anything other than your score so there is no actually private or sellable information in there. Well except perhaps the actual score itself.
That I totally get, but not all data is the same or will be used the same. I 100% don’t want companies selling my personally identifying information without my consent, but I should have the option to consent to allowing a company to collect my information if it can provide me with a better product.

Subtle differences in your treatment by CNBC if you're a big advertiser.

Elon raises prices so he can put on his tuxedo and sip champagne in the grand ballroom.

View attachment 845486

Ford only raises prices(5 minutes after the IRAct passes) because they absolutely have to.

View attachment 845484
In fairness here, Ford is so far behind the curve they are struggling to make a dime on their Mach-E. Tesla is crushing it with 30%+ margins.

The more truthful "Electric Latecomer Ford struggles to keep doors open, raises prices on EVs" would make it tough to get advertising from Ford later on...

That I totally get, but not all data is the same or will be used the same. I 100% don’t want companies selling my personally identifying information without my consent, but I should have the option to consent to allowing a company to collect my information if it can provide me with a better product.
Yeah, I kind of mentioned this in the last paragraph.

It's a good idea, but poorly implemented. Like a lot of legislation.

Insurance is not just the rates and coverage it is also the quality of the company when you need support. You will know this after several depositions and a room of lawyers. Anyone in CA that does not have at least 300/500 plus an umbrella with a good company is gambling. I won't change to Tesla insurance for this reason and it is 50% less.
Your attitude about wanting higher coverage is good but you can get higher coverage in the Tesla Insurance. Just because one dude made a youtube video with default coverage doesn't address what you could edit it to if you hit the edit button.

It's misleading to say Tesla Insurance doesn't offer coverage options.

In fairness here, Ford is so far behind the curve they are struggling to make a dime on their Mach-E. Tesla is crushing it with 30%+ margins.

The more truthful "Electric Latecomer Ford struggles to keep doors open, raises prices on EVs" would make it tough to get advertising from Ford later on...
Is Tesla the only company actually making a real profit on their EVs? BYD isn't, Ford clearly isn't, GM (lol), Lucid, Rivian, Nio...no. VW (perhaps just the Porsche division).

This is WITH subsidies. So Tesla is either the only company making a profit (or dang near), AND are making industry leading profits. I know the other companies try to hide this, but more people should talk about it.

These utterly unfair markets exist. To me his honesty increases consumer awareness and makes a clearer case for stiffer regulation.

He basically said the SEC is asleep at the wheel. Are all brokers scumbags? Yes. Of course. But there are degrees!

In many ways you could say IB is the Tesla of brokers. They say what lean product they're offering, and you can buy it or not. Nearly everyone else just lies 60-100% of the time to gain marketshare.
Don’t be ridiculous. You’re giving them permission for continued shenanigans as long as they make us aware of their shenanigans. Do you hear yourself?

It’s not okay by any degree. It’s all wrong, all thievery.

Is Tesla the only company actually making a real profit on their EVs? BYD isn't, Ford clearly isn't, GM (lol), Lucid, Rivian, Nio...no. VW (perhaps just the Porsche division).

This is WITH subsidies. So Tesla is either the only company making a profit to closer to it, AND are making industry leading profits. I know the other companies try to hide this, but more people should talk about it.
I highly doubt any others are making money when we put that into context with all their recalls.

This is WITH subsidies. So Tesla is either the only company making a profit (or dang near), AND are making industry leading profits. I know the other companies try to hide this, but more people should talk about it.
I don't follow the Chinese companies but I'm surprised they are not making a profit. It's good to own TSLA.

Reactions: jkirkwood001

Don't worry. Ford has a track record over the last hundred years on making 30%+ gross margins on their cars and over 20% operating margins. They are now just struggling because the Mexicans are charging top dollars due to insane cost of living. A taco is almost 50 cents bankrupting the locals.

/ssssss

Is Tesla the only company actually making a real profit on their EVs?

There are a lot of companies making tons of money on EVs. I don't think any of them—other than Tesla—actually make cars.

I highly doubt any others are making money when we put that into context with all their recalls.
Indeed... particularly when you consider recalls!

Maybe VW does slightly better than break even? Probably not, but they are the closest.

A friend of mine works at Arcimoto and says they make a profit only on their top models. I suspect some of the electric motorcycle companies make a profit as well.

Reactions: KBF and Nocturnal
I don't follow the Chinese companies but I'm surprised they are not making a profit. It's good to own TSLA.
Most of the 200+ Chinese Ev companies are playing games with government subsidies by selling the cars back and forth. Lots of them are not real players and had zero intentions of becoming a real player after they can't continue with their fraudulent behavior.

Well... looks like me going backpacking doesn't help the stock after all. 🤣

Bears have some ammo on the overall market. After this downward gamma expires though, I think we will see a decent tick up next week until data starts coming in.
We actually got some data today which once again, points to inflation on the downtrend.