Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you can say I am doing ANOTHER 300k now.

Always had problems when arriving in the 200k like when I did the Vermont 6 gaps and saddle sores start to make you wish you emptied two bottles of chamois cream instead of one, to avoid the feeling TSLAQ has been experiencing for the last years.

Today was a weird day, the kind of day when I see AAPL was -0.50% and I was expecting TSLA to close -1.5 or -2%. Weird feeling.

Always had problems when arriving in the 200k like when I did the Vermont 6 gaps and saddle sores start to make you wish you emptied two bottles of chamois cream instead of one, to avoid the feeling TSLAQ has been experiencing for the last years.

Today was a weird day, the kind of day when I see AAPL was -0.50% and I was expecting TSLA to close -1.5 or -2%. Weird feeling.

Just look at today's Enphase chart and the vertigo will subside. :)

Someone on another forum said the US goverment should just make CCS the standard for plugs in the US. I replied with this

Yes, pick the standard that 20% of the sales in the US use instead of the one that 80% use (that's also smaller and works better).

CCS and SAE J1772, the US’s common standards, are clunky, cumbersome, and expensive.
A recent study** showed Tesla Superchargers provide the best EV charging experience. The connector is easier to use, the port is small, convenient, and universal for AC or DC Fast Charging.

and after some back in forth with a different person I added:

and if you wonder how many cars come from other companies that don't use that connector
  • Tesla (about 335,000 sold in 2021 in the US, about 260,000 in 2022 on pace for over 500,000 in 2022)
vs
  • Volkswagen (VW, Audi, Porsche and such. About 35,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Ford (about 27,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • GM (GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Hummer, about 25,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Nissan (about 19,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Hyundai/Kia (about 18,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Geely (Volvo/Polestar about 8,000 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • BMW (Mini and Rolls-Royce, about 1500 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Rivian (920 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Mercedes (443 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Lucid ( not much better than Aptera with 125 sold in 2021 in the US)
  • Aptera (0 sold in 2021 anywhere, but has put the Tesla connector in their design) 😜
2 of 12 using Tesla connector .
  • Toyota (0 BEV sold in 2021 in the US, not fair for PHEVs to set a BEV standard)
  • Honda (0 BEV sold in 2021 in the US, not fair for PHEVs to set a BEV standard)
  • Stellantis (Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Jeep, and such but 0 EV sales in the US in 2021)
  • Nio 0 BEV sold in 2021 in the US
  • Tata (Jaguar/Land Rover) 0 BEV sold in 2021 in the US
  • BYD 0 BEV sold in 2021 in the US
I did rough math in my head while looking at the numbers at Electric Vehicle Sales and Market Share (US - Updated Monthly) but I expect Tesla to run away from the pack as Austin, TX pushes out more and more vehicles.

Last edited:
The tail don't wag the dog; now it doesn't even have one:

"Previously disclosed, on November 10, 2021, Lordstown Motors and Foxconn entered into an Asset Purchase Agreement ("APA") providing for the sale of LMC's Lordstown, Ohio vehicle assembly plant to Foxconn for $230 million plus the reimbursement of certain operating and expansion costs."

Foxconn Completes Acquisition of Lordstown Motors Electric Truck | Bloomberg (May 11, 2022)

Lordstown Motors factory sale to Foxconn closes - CNBC (May 11, 2022)

hth.

So, to put it another way, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog? 🤔

• Funny
Reactions: kcveins
This is what we wanna see....

Screenshot_20220906-231027_CNBC.jpg

There is a 13% tax on that $19,500 in Ontario, and 15% in Nova Scotia.

And if the FSD is bought for a new Model Y LR purchase, it brings the total to just over $100K (whereas before it would have been $97K).
There is a new luxury tax for cars over $100K. This makes the price for adding FSD the same as or more than buying some small new cars.

View attachment 849350
I don't believe you read that correctly. If the price is C$103,000, only C$3,000 is subject to the new luxury tax.

I don't believe you read that correctly. If the price is C$103,000, only C$3,000 is subject to the new luxury tax.
It’s the lesser of either 10% of the total value or 20% of the total value minus $100,000

So if buying a $103,000 car, it would be either

$103,000 x 10% = $10.3k

or

($103,000 - $100,000) x 20% = $600

Effectively means that it’s 20% of the delta up to $200k and 10% of the total value above $200k

Last edited:
Did some more digging:

2.2T SMS messages annually => 70M SMS messages per second to handle the U.S.'s SMS needs (if taking the 2020 number)

I'm assuming a node is one satellite, but please let me know if that's incorrect. If that's accurate, then I'm assuming we'll have 4,000+ operating satellites in orbit by end of 2023.

21k SMS msgs per satellite / sec * 4000 satellites = 84M per sec.

70M SMS messages seems high, I get 70,000 messages per second (2,200,000,000,000 / 365 / 24 / 60 / 60).

There are multiple cells per satellite, we don't know how many, my guess is between 10 and 100. There are also far less than 4000 satellites over the USA at any one time, only about 2% or 80.

21k SMS msgs per cell per sec * 10 cells per satellite * 80 satellites = 16,800,000 messages per second.

So if the US population were evenly spread out the satellites could easily handle the SMS message traffic. The are cells however are large and could not handle the concentration of traffic in a city, especially as SMS messages probably have more overhead than longer data packets and streams.

$3000 + $19500 for FSD > $price of some small cars in Canada.
This makes the price for adding FSD the same as or more than buying some small new cars.

Got to admit that I did not do extensive research into small cars before making that claim in my original post. Just spent 5 seconds with Google. So the prices may be slightly outdated.

1662534814709.png

Last edited:
Indeed. The SEC is moving to limit the influence of these ratings 'agencies' which are in fact private for-profit corporations:

[PDF] Removal of References to Credit Ratings From Regulation M (Mar 23, 2022) www.sec.gov › rules › proposed

More background here:
Cheers!
That maybe removes it from the regulations, but i will be hard to also remove it from all corporate bylaws or even fund-specific bylaws that buyers from that fund maybe also signed when investing in it.

I mean ... Not complicated, but tedious, costly and potentially a lot of paperwork..

Just 3 years ago, Boston Consulting Group poll showed public expectation is 21% of new car sale in year 2030 in the US will be EVs. Newest poll result increased that expectation to 53% in year 2030.

It is likely that any reasonably priced EV will continue to be production constrained in the many upcoming years.

Did some more digging:

2.2T SMS messages annually => 70M SMS messages per second to handle the U.S.'s SMS needs (if taking the 2020 number)

I'm assuming a node is one satellite, but please let me know if that's incorrect. If that's accurate, then I'm assuming we'll have 4,000+ operating satellites in orbit by end of 2023.

21k SMS msgs per satellite / sec * 4000 satellites = 84M per sec.
I haven't worked through your calc in any detail. However one thing I can see is that to get this calc on an apples-to-apples basis you need to divide the global sat capacity you calculate (84M/sec) by the available sat footprint looking at the USA's load you calculate (70M/sec).

USA is approx 1.9% of the world surface. The satellites primarily orbit so as to face equatorial & temperate areas, less so the poles. Let's be optimistic and say this orbital skew gives 5% looking at USA. So that would be 5% x 84M = 4.2M available vs 70M requirement.

(Unless you'd sneakily allowed for this issue somewhere else in your calc - I've not done an independent parallel calc of my own so I have no feel for the 'right' answer.)

EDIT : I see @MikeAtkinson has also said much the same. Oh well, he obviously gets out of bed earlier. Mind you the birds will (can) increase in throughput as mass goes up (bigger PV, more power, bigger rx/tx); and also messages could have some sort of urgency attribute to switch them terrestrial vs sat. So not hopeless.

(btw more than one bird can look at a given earth patch simultaneously, they just need to know how to play nicely. So high density traffic locations - such as cities - can get more capacity allocated than the basic maths would have you think))

Last edited:
I have not looked much into Chinese EVs, but after keep hearing rave reviews from Munro and others, curiosity got into me..

Geely's premium branded Zeekr 001 looks like an impressive EV currently sold in China. It has tons of interior and exterior features with impressive motor performance and huge range at a great price. In August Zeekr sold 7166 cars.

CleanTechnica wrote an article published today on the 001, but this YouTube provide much more detailed information in an excellent video production.

Plan is for an upcoming European introduction.

The 2 year (3.4970) just dropped below the 30 year (3.499) a few minutes ago. Hopefully, the 2 year drops below the 10 year (3.355) in the not too distant future.
The US Fed is doing this on purpose, and this is roughly the desired outcome. Taking us a near to the edge of major recession as possible without tipping in.

Just enough to break inflation. Next meeting is 9/20.

NIO's Q2 results are not good. Bigger loss, lower than expected earnings and poor guidance. This is similar to XPeng's Q2 results. Only Tesla seems to be doing well in the China market.