Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What he said:
"No further TSLA sales planned after today"

"Yes. In the (hopefully unlikely) event that Twitter forces this deal to close *and* some equity partners don’t come through, it is important to avoid an emergency sale of Tesla stock."

One could be critical of sales to buy Twitter in general, but the second sale this year was duress/insurance versus desired.
I read this as funding secured.

To me, the *and* means that unless the equity partners don't come through (which is unlikely I'd say with Elon's track record), he has all the funds he needs. Therefore that second sale was cautionary...as Elon said, to avoid an emergency sale. Therefore, if all equity partners come through and the sale completes, then hasn't Elon got a few $B sitting there doing not a lot...

I know what I'd be doing with that money at these prices!

I read this as funding secured.

To me, the *and* means that unless the equity partners don't come through (which is unlikely I'd say with Elon's track record), he has all the funds he needs. Therefore that second sale was cautionary...as Elon said, to avoid an emergency sale. Therefore, if all equity partners come through and the sale completes, then hasn't Elon got a few $B sitting there doing not a lot...

I know what I'd be doing with that money at these prices!
Buying a second social media platform just to mess with shareholders some more????? 🥴

I feel so naughty from all these Disagrees....

84d2159d79ba9de81f6125f72f2adaca.gif

Things today I find bearish, in life and in TSLA:

Short term:
- Elon's Twitter-related TSLA selling uncertainty
- OPEC+ cutting production, strengthening Putin and his outspoken allies in one US party just before elections
Medium term:
- Uncertainty about how the war in Europe and associated energy sabotage will play out
- Receding chance of an economic "soft landing" and concern over Fed's doubling down on the imperfect [US interest rate] tool to achieve it
Long term:
- Climate disasters getting worse
- Wars and displacement of millions / billions related to newly uninhabitable areas (due to above)

Things today that I find bullish, in life and in TSLA:

Short term:
- Tesla discovering 360 degree camera coverage is enough for EVERYTHING (and in fact likely better at everything than everyone else). We have yet to fully process these implications (but @Discoducky gave us a welcome start. Tesla engineers please get that code over to us poor Autopilot left-behinds!)
- Tesla Q3 and Q4 earnings still expected to be record setting
- Ukraine taking back territory (!) on two fronts
Medium term:
- OPEC+ cutting production, reducing the amount of oil we are pumping out of the ground, most of which would burn (bad) or become ocean plastic (bad) [Yes, I listed this as bearish above - it is both based on timeframe]
- Tesla energy / Lathrop plant expected to be making world-changing amounts of storage
- Tesla Semi deployment will dwarf other atmospheric cleanup efforts
- Hard nosed engineering advancement on batteries, led by Tesla (the crucial but really boring stuff: cheaper, local supply chains, lower energy inputs, massive scaling)
Long term:
- Economically inevitable full EV buy in and full wind/solar/storage buy in from governments and quasi-public utilities: benefits both life and TSLA
- Most old school Cold War leaders aging out of the workforce life force
- Ability of commercial success in space to unify humanity more than now (maybe on Mars, maybe not, but somewhere up there...)

If anyone knows where the sum of THAT vector that should put my target price of TSLA for today, more power to you. I don't know and pretty clearly the market doesn't know (!). But my gut told me to screw HODL yesterday and BUY MOAR .... which I did.

Back to HODL mode now. Appreciate y'all and all the insight over the years.

Thinking it's time to call for the Spartans to come riding in about now ;)

Did you watch it? Colbert owns a Tesla and called him out. The crowd was not happy with Elon's stance. Not good for the brand.
Meh. The day will come when purchasing an ICE isn’t an option. Who cares if some people choose another EV brand? Seriously, give your head a shake. By that time Tesla will be so big, selling gobs of battery storage, robotaxi, bots, Dojo and who knows what else. All those other not-Chinese OEMs still need batteries, still need capable software, still need Lidar and parking sensors and geofencing, still need faster charging, still need to figure out how to make a profit selling EVs -

You’re being myopic, caught up in all the external, emotional, and irrational drama.

Last edited:
Bought a couple hundred more early today at falling knife $240 price.
I swore to myself I was done buying TSLA then this week happened. Because of the crazy price swing I was able to add more money into the brokerage window of my 457 plan and I bought 47 shares today at $238. I'm starting to feel like an addict. I can't stop myself with these price drops.

Won't matter if he sold or not and won't matter if he states on Twitter that he's done selling. Market has zero trust/faith in what he says at this point because he's said he's done selling twice now this year......and yet :rolleyes:

The reality to me is that Elon has done long term damage to the stock when it comes to institutional investors buying in. He's sold a huge number of shares in the past 12 month, even after multiples times saying he was done. He's done his selling in extremely painful ways. He's erratic on Twitter and creating controversy nearly every week.

Doesn't affect me and when or how I sell, but I definitely think the valuation metric for how cheap TSLA has to get before institutional investors will buy in is dramatically lower than where it was last year or even earlier this year. I hate to agree with him, but I'm starting to agree with @Mengy that TSLA's valuation metric (PE) will compress to absurd levels before it bottoms and is forced higher........likely means a year or so of TSLA being dead money.

I used to think there's no way a company could have a Forward P/E of 30-40 and be growing earnings well over 100%+ YoY. I think we're about to see it 😅
How delightful if institutional investors would stick it where the sun doesn’t shine and leave TSLA to the rest of us with half a brain.

How wonderful it would be for the rational, common man amongst us to be the sole benefactor. Everyone else can get off the ride.

It is naive to think that Twitter isn't already completed screwed up in current form. Well if you haven't been paying attention or stuck in the propaganda loop for the last 5 plus years, i get it, however Elon has been laying it out for you over the last 6 months.

Lacks self control and understanding of social things is terrible? Most investors won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. You may say this to justify your beliefs but deep down you know it can't be true. Logically, it can't be true. I'm not going to go over all the reasons bc it is obvious.

The claim was that Elon critics were mindless haters who can't see any good in anything he does. I demonstrated that I fully embrace his work on cars, spaceships, AI, etc. And a calmly explained why I have deep concerns about his ability to direct a social media company since his own use of social media is horrific. It's so bad I can't even raise the worst examples for fear of having my post banned by the moderators.

Meanwhile what we DO seem to have here is mindless Elon fanbois who can't allow ANY criticism of their savior, regardless of merit. Elon is great at many things, but also flawed. A lot like Steve Jobs. Try to not be the thing you accuse the critics of.

This looks interesting. Two pick-me-ups in one day!

Gee another source of credit income for Tesla in addition IRA??? I don't know if i can take anymore positive catalysts to earnings 🥴

The hilarious part of Q4 will be all of these demand worries while at the same time Tesla improves margins and gets more access to credits..............and still doesn't do any prices drops around the world 😅

(I do think Tesla will be dropping prices in Q4. I think they will announce them on the Q3 earnings call AFTER they show how much margins have expanded and that the price cuts won't affect margins because of dropping COGS. That way Tesla can control the narrative of the price drops)

Pretty sure non-Tesla charging on a supercharger is more expensive so this is not a moat going away but a new profit stream coming in.
Something to keep in mind is that the supercharger retrofit is going to proceed rather slowly. I expect it will be a couple of years before most supercharger locations in North America can charge CCS EVs.

Also, CCS tends to be flaky. Electrify America has spent a lot of time getting it to work with all the different EVs that are out there. Tesla is likely to run into the same problem, which will also slow the rollout.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
What he said:
"No further TSLA sales planned after today"
Thank you!

I'm disappointed with the number of people right here on TMC that try to push a false narrative while acting like Elon is untrustworthy and they are the epitome of all things Tesla and that, if not for Elon, or if Elon would only behave more like they would like, we would be valued at least double where we are now.

Guess what? Elon is the single most responsible person for where we are right now and, without him, Tesla would still be a struggling car company, and that's assuming Tesla still existed at all. Instead, Elon has taken Tesla from a $1.7 billion dollar company 12 years ago to its current valuation over $750 billion, and yet they complain it's not a trillion! That's value creation like none other but it's not good enough for the hecklers and complainers in the peanut gallery throwing peanut shells at him while yelling at the top of their lungs that he's an idiot and a loser who needs to learn how to run a company and how to act responsible. The value creation is not good enough for them. That he's bad for converting his compensation into currency that can actually be spent or for buying the things he wants.

Not to take credit from many other hard-working Tesla employees but, if not for Elon, Tesla would not be the raging success it is today!