Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See time stamp = 37:15
Who wants to take bets on when the world will be relatively stable again? Or what Elon might be alluding to in that "force majeure event *pause* somewhere"?

Even with all the headlines out right now, I think few people appreciate how quickly and drastically the geopolitical landscape is changing. But I think Elon has an idea...

Reactions: phantasms
Ok not investment advice, however I wanted to talk about some LEAP call spread options possibilities given the stock is at a relatively (we hope) low point.
Note, any call/put buying is of course more risky than owning pure stock, but those risks can be somewhat mitigated by duration and if you think stock price is closer to a bottom.

A vertical spread is when you buy a call option at one expiration (say Jan 24) and simultaneously sell a call option at a higher strike price with the same expiration date. Say buy a $150 call option and sell a $400 call option.

Why would you do this and "cap" your possible gains? Since you only have to fork over the difference in contract cost, you can buy more contracts.

The performance of the spread looks like this as a function of share price and time. You can play around with various options using this tool:

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.47.12 AM.png

Breakeven is right around $230.

If the stock price is at or above $400 in Jan 2024, you will return ~ 200%. If you held pure stock, you would have returned 78% at $400.

Pure shares outperforms the spread once you get above $670. Between current share price at $400, the spread will outperform the stock.

The spread definitely is much worse than pure shares if the stock price goes lower than current levels in Jan 2024, and you will lose all your money if it is at or below $150 at that time.

Also, if you end up wanting to sell earlier, depending on the strikes and time, you may end up making less money than if you held the stock, even at say $300 (although not in the example shown above).

To mimic a more conservative approach, you could lower the buy call option strike and raise the sell call option strike. This gives you a bit of leverage vs own pure shares.

Statistically (and I've verified with simulations), call spreads are optimal when the strikes match what you think are the likely low and high points of the stock by expiration.

Personally, I moved to call spreads when the stock hit lows in May (June 2024 $160/$333) in my IRA that will return 3x if share price is at $333. I think this is a good bet. If after January the stock price is still at these levels, I may sell the rest of my shares in my taxable account and do similar.

Lockdowns beginning to creep back in Shanghai…😒

Unfortunately, I’d put the probability of Giga Shanghai going through at least one month of forced shutdown sometime this winter at 70%.
Chairman Pooh the moron at work again.
This happened 2 months ago and guess what......Shanghai wasn't shut down.

Could there be interruptions? Sure.

Is Tesla Shanghai much more prepared to deal with shutdowns by having the factory already set up for "closed loop" production? Yes

Not letting myself get excited, but this is plausible. Some here noted that credit wouldn't change until Tesla actually sought some debt.
At this point in time you should know better than listening to Gary. It appears he's only succeeded because he's a domineering loudmouth rather than having any sort of judgement. I'd ascribe any investment advice he's proffered that ends up being successful as good luck rather than good judgement.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. The market tanked today because the jobs report made it more likely that the Fed will raise rates by the exact amount they told us they would a couple weeks ago? 🥴
Yes Sir. Might get punished again when it actually happens too. 🤦‍♂️

Clearly the market needs to be back where it was in 1990.

Ok not investment advice, however I wanted to talk about some LEAP call spread options possibilities given the stock is at a relatively (we hope) low point.

IV of 70 is at 80 percentile though, so these calls are definitley not cheap. You might as well until the IV drops to 50. Recall how all the call options were brutally murdered during June-September of 2021. Your options will drop 30% when IV goes from 70 to 50 even if the stock stays flat, and we haven't even considered theta yet.

My solar powered town near Fort Myers survived Ian virtually unscathed:

Additionally, every home garage comes with a 240-volt outlet to recharge an EV.

This has been making the rounds on all the MSM sites.

I think it is funny they leave off the fact that this is far east of I-75.

The biggest factor in determining your outcome but just conveniently leave that part out. And this is how propaganda works.