Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Share buyback or not, this one is extremely unlikely. That is directly against the mission, with Tesla’s margins they could simply cut prices temporarily if needed, and the 2020 economic turmoil certainly didn’t result in Tesla slowing down their plans for expanding Giga Shanghai and building the two largest car factories in the world.
Cutting margins and price makes no sense when you are production constrained.

Cutting margins and price makes no sense when you are production constrained.
I agree. My comment was in response to the idea that Tesla might be reducing plans for production expansion due to expectations of a recession, presumably because of weakening demand. I think if Tesla actually did have that expectation, they would push forward with expansion plans and deal with hypothetical weaker demand by cutting prices a bit, and their margins are plenty strong enough to do that.

It just means there's at least some incentive for MM's to prop up the stock paying out all the Put Walls. Doesn't mean they actually will defend the stock. There's been plenty of examples where MM's don't defend Put Walls nearly as much as they do Call Walls.

As you can see, as the macro's have recovered, TSLA doesn't follow suit. Which clearly spells out that TSLA's overperformance when the macro's were much lower was simply MM's protecting the Put Walls. There was no genuine strength in TSLA stock today
What is the purpose of protecting anything today when CPI will determine how this week goes?

Reactions: traxila
Sure, because there are no relationships between different parts of a car or truck /s.
And I thought F150 was the most sold pick up truck in the US. What is it good for if you can’t open the tail gate when you go pick nicking on the top of a mountain in Colorado perched on 4 uneven boulders?

This video made me like Dodge more and regret selling my good ol dodge caravan

And I thought F150 was the most sold pick up truck in the US. What is it good for if you can’t open the tail gate when you go pick nicking on the top of a mountain in Colorado perched on 4 uneven boulders?

I always thought everyone knew Ford was king of trucks almost entirely due to price

No, won't the tunnel limit how air flows past the truck? Almost like a Venturi effect; or all the air the truck displaces now has only that little room between the truck and the tunnel sides to squeeze through so it has to go through faster making more wind resistance, not less.
Replied in engineering thread.

MARKETING! Of the big three, Ford is best at it (i.e. Ford Tough has been implanted in our brains by years of marketing).

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Nice to hear @strago13 , good anecdote.

But I have to say, the fact that Tesla solar panels and Powerwalls are still only available in USA AFAIK means they are still a long way from ramping up a commodity offering globally, as they have done with auto. Let's hope!

I would also like to go 100% clean energy here in Ontario, but can't yet with Tesla.
I don't think it's 'publicly' available to consumers in Canada, but I know that there is a contractor that installs Powerwalls & solar (I *think* the solar roof) on Vancouver Island - Shift Energy Group.

What is the purpose of protecting anything today when CPI will determine how this week goes?
More or less giving themselves buffer on both sides of whatever the macro's do.

There's a lot of Put Walls from 220 all the way down to 180. So they give the stock support if the macro's are lower today to give themselves buffer for a larger drop on Thurs/Fri.

On the flip side, as shown in the trading action of TSLA since the macro's have rallied hard, they have zero incentive to actually drive the stock price up because if the CPI number comes in good and the macro's rally, they want to make sure they don't pay out the 240 and 250 Call Walls.

Here is a good breakdown of efficiency:
A 1.47kwh/mi with 2016 tech by a legacy OEM. So 650kwh could be the actual battery size.
Nah. That author makes the serious mistake of using the Peterbuilt demonstrator achieving 10 MPG which uses a lot of complex heat recovery technology to raise the thermal efficiency of that demonstrator well above 35% then he takes that 10 MPG and uses a typical diesel efficiency of 35% to get his starting figure. So his starting point is off quite a bit to begin with and then he's only looking at a 65,000 lb vehicle rather than 82,000 lbs. Combined these factors actually makes that case that is highly unlikely Tesla achieves 500 miles @ 82,000 lbs with just 650kWh.

I agree. My comment was in response to the idea that Tesla might be reducing plans for production expansion due to expectations of a recession, presumably because of weakening demand. I think if Tesla actually did have that expectation, they would push forward with expansion plans and deal with hypothetical weaker demand by cutting prices a bit, and their margins are plenty strong enough to do that.

Agree, however given where oil and gas prices are now, I don't forsee any demand problems anytime soon. Because of a combination of high oil prices and heavy refinery regulation in California, we are seeing $7/gal gas now. I've heard from multiple people here that they are accelerating their EV purchasing decisions because even if prices come back down, they don't forsee them staying down. Demand destruction is real.

image.png

If you believe inflation has topped, the "inflation" number will come down quite quickly. The Bureau of Labor Statistics publish the CPI reports here: LINK

If CPI continues its gradual downtrend and tops out around 296, then the inflation numbers will come down to the Fed target of 2.0% by April 2023.

This is the most mentally taxing time to stay long TSLA that I've been through. In other periods it felt like Tesla just needed to get rolling and things would be great (and we were right). Now we are coming off of a higher baseline which is more difficult due to psychology, we react worse to losing X vs not gaining X.

Feels worse when you are "losing" because of someone else's actions. In this case, a group of unelected spreadsheet wizards. I still keep going back to the fundamentals and I don't see any reason to change course. I am somewhat concerned that the FED is on a rampage and will grind us into a major recession but that impacts any investment I'd consider right now.
That too, no doubt on top of them contradicting each other and being so damn wrong every time and lack of credibility. Talk about being FED UP.
Can't spell F--ked up without FED.

If Twitter deal goes through and Elon has to sell more shares, can Tesla be doing share buyback at the same time? ( 2 separate entities)
Oct 28th is the next court date, and earnings will be out ~ 10 days prior.
What is all this talk about share buyback? Tesla is in growth fase and will be for the foreseeable future. They need more factories, more service centres, more superchargers.
yes, they have a healthy cash position on their balance sheet but that is only a good thing in order to fund these investments. They are not Apple (yet) with hundreds of billions of cash on the balance sheet, not knowing what to do with it.