Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2019, I charged at a 4-stall at a gas station while on my road trip to Fremont. It worked well.

The *absolute* best part of charging there? I happily used their WINDSHIELD SCRUBBER! Those frequently needed tools are conspicuously absent from most SuCs.
Ironically a gas station fill up never provided me with enough time to fully clean my windshield without actually extending my stop, whereas at a SuC stop you'd have more than enough time to scrub your windshield...🤷‍♂️

And this points out one of the failings of the team. It almost seems as like they were "taking the easy win" and putting sites in where it was easy to get them, where they really need to work hard on filling actual gaps. (And adding capacity where necessary, especially in V2 islands.)

Hey, isn't that exactly what Elon says that they will start doing now, as the team is reset and rebuilt?

In addition, Elon likely had more insight to recent downtime stats which maybe weren't ideal. (Anecdotally, I have seen a lot more reports of problems at Supercharger sites lately than I had seen in the past.) Though reliability is likely mostly a result of the maintenance team, which, from what I have seen, wasn't let go.
The outages I have seen (other than a couple of individual stalls, which just require you to use a different stall) have been local power outages. Not Tesla's fault but due to the distance between Superchargers where I frequently travel it's a real pain when this happens. If Superchargers were closer to 50 miles/80 km apart this wouldn't be an issue. (Assuming you are similar to me and try to keep the percentage at destination no lower than 20%).

On the plus side, of the five Superchargers I use on my most frequent trip, only two are still V2. Besides Buc'ees, Tesla should also have Superchargers at Loves. I pass by lots of Loves but only one Buc'ees, which is close to home so it's not one I use.

Reactions: AZRI11
Correlation ≠ causation.

What evidence is there that his reason for dismissing them while he was out the country was in order to avoid answering questions?

He does... ya know.. travel quite a bit regularly for business... and:

View attachment 1043431
Perhaps the timing is just related to the fact he had to take 2 18 hour flights in 2 days, and therefore had nothing to do except pour over spreadsheets and documents... allowing him to figure out that those groups weren't moving in the right direction?

I know you were being sarcastic, but, as a guess, >70% of the quarters he was in charge of A business, have been on negative profit.
He has chosen to compete in perhaps the most difficult, competitive industries in the world: Money Exchange (PayPal), Auto & Energy (Tesla), Rocketry (SpaceX)

...and the result are some of the fastest growing, most profitable businesses (in absolute terms) that humanity has ever seen

How many of the original supporters were only ok with supporting Elon so long as he spoke in agreement with their programmed political views? Critical thinking is nearly non-existent once politics are involved in the USA. Elon's views are based in logic and science, not loyalty to a political entity or emotions.

I don't know how to fix that. How to explain to people, in a way that they will consider it, that most of their views are filtered through a political lens that is not based on facts and truth.
Regardless of what Elon says politically he's done, and continues to do, so much good for humanity that he gets a free pass from me. I doubt you can get any two people to agree 100% on everything and because politics is mostly lies and bribes does it matter much?

How many of the original supporters were only ok with supporting Elon so long as he spoke in agreement with their programmed political views? Critical thinking is nearly non-existent once politics are involved in the USA. Elon's views are based in logic and science, not loyalty to a political entity or emotions.

I don't know how to fix that. How to explain to people, in a way that they will consider it, that most of their views are filtered through a political lens that is not based on facts and truth.
Possibly if we talk about engineering and physics. In other subjects he has a blatant disregard for facts.

Reuters' latest hit piece... released 8 minutes ago.
Does not appear to be affecting the stock.

My take: any time you innovate and change plans you currently have in place, you have to call up some outside suppliers and cancel your prior way of doing things. When hit piece generators like Reuters get a hold of this that quickly publish headlines like "Tesla abandons ABC, XYZ - leaving investors and customers in the dark!!!" 🤢🤮

Last edited:
This doesn't sound super mission friendly. We're at the very beginning of the EV transition and more superchargers are needed on the level of multiple orders of magnitude for a fully electrified world. Should it all be on Tesla's shoulders? No, of course not. But as the other manufacturers are backing away from EV implementation as fast as they can, Tesla certainly is (was?) the best hope.
Opening Superchargers and opening Superchargers in places where they are needed are two different things. We've had several examples today of Superchargers being in poor locations or being oversaturated (either too many cars and not enough stalls, or many Superchargers in a small area so several get little use).

Yes, but he fired the people who know who the dedicated/exceptional people were. Might be a little harder to make new hires into a company that treats staff so utterly poorly.
He fired a bunch of literal rocket scientists and still managed to hire some dedicated/exceptional people to launch thousands of satellites into space.

No disrepect to their profession, but a few dedicated/exceptional electrical engineers and paper pushers cant be harder to recruit/rehire.

That is because he left the country and fired them while away so he could avoid answering the question. This in and of itself...raises questions.

I agree with what a lot of other people have said:
It helps to hear factual criticism in order to consider that the investing case still remains the same as it was.
But your suggestion above does not help me to take you serious.

Opening Superchargers and opening Superchargers in places where they are needed are two different things. We've had several examples today of Superchargers being in poor locations or being oversaturated (either too many cars and not enough stalls, or many Superchargers in a small area so several get little use).
Agreed. But at under 10% EV adoption today, it's not hard to believe that regardless of their placement, the rate of Supercharger (and other charger) growth needs to be vastly bigger to support 100% EV adoption. Those tweets seemed quite clearly to be announcing the reduction of the rate of deployment overall. It's an ugly job to risk oversupply in (presently) underused locations, and it shouldn't have to be all on Tesla's shoulders, but I'd argue that part of Tesla's high valuation is the perception that they will do the ugly jobs when no one else will.

I wonder if the supercharger move is because Elon realzies that planning and permitting and grid connections are boring, very location--and-jurisdiction dependent, require local knowledge (and language) and can be quite political.
This is not Tesla's strong point.

Maybe he wants Tesla to be the manufacturer, supplier and installer/maintainer of superchargers, but wants other companies/authorities/networks/governments to take care of deciding where, and when?

I have some small scale experience of this stuff, and getting a grid connection is absolute hell. Actually installing the equipment once the connection is in place is efficient and trivial. Maybe Tesla has had enough of bureaucratic BS?

We are literally discussing the North American Supercharging behaviour of Tesla with only one (positive) tweet from Elon and a load of very spotty coverage in Reuters - laden with inaccuracy and we really can't tell what Tesla is doing from this.

We only have half the information. Yes a whole bunch of Tesla employees got laid off. Doesn't mean all of them. Doesn't mean all documents, plans and servers got wiped or shredded. All that stuff is still there. All the outside companies are still building/installing Supercharger sites - Black & Vetch and so on. Probably at the Annual Shareholders Meeting we will get the update on what the changes are. He usually says something like "we will double the number of Superchargers" over some future period - no reason he won't continue to give Supercharger network updates there this time.

I also think they are changing to integrate government spending a bit more effficiently. For the first time there is significant government spending in the area of car charging, and Tesla should be one of the biggest beneficiaries. There is no way any legacy automaker leaves government money on the table. No way Tesla should either.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound super mission friendly. We're at the very beginning of the EV transition and more superchargers are needed on the level of multiple orders of magnitude for a fully electrified world. Should it all be on Tesla's shoulders? No, of course not. But as the other manufacturers are backing away from EV implementation as fast as they can, Tesla certainly is (was?) the best hope.

Someone mentioned earlier how 6 of the OEMs signing onto NACS have invested in another charging network in the US. Maybe they are angling to make some profit from charging Tesla (and other) cars while dealing with their having fallen behind in the production of compelling BEVs.

If this other network actually does well and grows a reliable, useful network, then Tesla won't have to focus so hard on growing their own.

I think about how, back when ICE first came on the scene, gasoline was purchased at drug stores. Can you imagine? Eventually, fueling the cars became mainstream as adoption demanded it. Many players took advantage of the opportunity. Those who provided fuel reliably at competitive rates prospered. Business 101.

BEV charging is past the "buying at the drug store" phase, but there is plenty of room to grow, and there are many fine examples of how not to build a charging network, as well as how to do it well.

Once this starts rolling it will be less important for Tesla to grow their network at the breakneck speeds they have had to do in the past. Others will be helping with that aspect of the mission and Tesla can focus on the future.

I’m inclined to think robotaxi solves the biggest problem of public transportation as it takes you from where you are to where you want to go. You don’t have to go to/ from assembly points on foot. That definitely makes it likely to dominate private and public transportation in cities. However I just don’t see how that works in rural areas. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I also don’t see how it gets me and a 20 ft boat to the lake or bay or me and 30 bags of mulch home from Lowe’s. It’s going to be interesting seeing how it deals with some of the situations I dealt with this last week.

Reactions: SPadival and bpjod
Yeah, if you look at the linked in thread there are already people from other companies offering positions. Still don´t like the extreme way Elon treats people, basically like they were robots not human beings.
This is....Elon. We always want to "adjust" him to be more...compassionate, or politically correct, or loyal, or eloquent, or cautious, or, or, or. Elon is who he is and YOU or I are not going to adjust him. While you and I think treating his workers like commodities is harsh, it's how he sees his workforce. Elon and his methods are certainly not perfect, but he's been effective. Tesla is still considered one of the most desired companies to work at. I believe that is primarily driven by the desire work for or near Elon Musk and his missions. Elon values drive and motivation above all. He continues to find and hire great people. Most employees know working for Elon is like "dog years" vs elsewhere and working for him and his organizations are fantastic resume builders and make people very desirable because they learn to get 💩done. Companies love to bring a little of that magic into their organization from his "rejects".