Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
đź‘‹ Deliveries, from an accounting perspective, is when accounts receivable is credited. Production is a debit until its realized in accounts receivable. I dont count production as in the hands to customers and when revenue is realized.
Correct. What is your point? The question was about gauging demand in China. Deliveries is a way to gauge revenue and profits for a quarter. It has an arbitrary boundary every 3 months. But it does not correlate to demand.

If you actually think Elon Musk is not deeply concerned about climate change, with all due respect I would recommend selling all your TSLA stock and doing more homework before investing in this company.

Is calling it "very dangerous" and repeatedly referring to our disruption of the carbon cycle as "the dumbest experiment in history" strong enough language?

He specifically said on Kara Swisher's Recode podcast that Tesla went through 2018 Production Hell because "Tesla cannot die":
Your YouTube links accurately show what I believe were top of his mind thoughts 3 and 6 years ago (at least, posted to YT 3 and 6 years ago). Many on here (myself included) have followed him far, far longer. On this board is much discussion of the future (P&D numbers, EPS $, Share Price $, etc) based not on static “today” state but on both the first and second derivative of how things have changed over time, and how the rate of change has changed over time, and what that means we expect the future state to be.

I for one greatly, greatly miss that Elon from your two YT links more than this post could ever capture…I appreciate that trip down memory lane, albeit in a sad kind of way.

Yep, Elon will be Elon.

And with that note we officially end the 'Twitter and its fallout' discussion in the main thread. There's always the dedicated thread (although that has sunk so far into the poltical abyss that I have given up - for now - moderating it). The main thread will now be free from Twitter talk. Mods won't catch everything immediately - we have a life and occasionally even sleep - but then the clean-up will be done a few hours later. If we feel like it posts will be moved, if we don't feel like it they will be nuked.

Self-moderation is ofcourse much appreciated.
THANK YOU!

If you actually think Elon Musk is not deeply concerned about climate change, with all due respect I would recommend selling all your TSLA stock and doing more homework before investing in this company.

Is calling it "very dangerous" and repeatedly referring to our disruption of the carbon cycle as "the dumbest experiment in history" strong enough language?

He specifically said on Kara Swisher's Recode podcast that Tesla went through 2018 Production Hell because "Tesla cannot die":

He spends almost all his time working on and talking about the solution, but that doesn't mean he thinks that the problem is no big deal. What it does mean is that attempts to motivate change via fear, guilt and shame has not worked despite decades of people trying it, and he's trying to win over everyone with a bunch of carrots instead of sticks.
And please cancel your cybertruck reservations.

Hmmm.

"NIO has stopped production at two of its facilities in Hefei, Anhui province"

Different location than Tesla China, but speaks to the China policy still.

(More edits... This could throw some shade at anyone thinking China might use lockdowns to manipulate or limit Tesla production.)

He spends almost all his time working on and talking about the solution, but that doesn't mean he thinks that the problem is no big deal. What it does mean is that attempts to motivate change via fear, guilt and shame has not worked despite decades of people trying it, and he's trying to win over everyone with a bunch of carrots instead of sticks.
The poster said he thinks Musk believes that climate change is a "threat to the survival of the species." I called BS.

If the poster wants to amend their comment about "threat to the survival of the species" and say "very dangerous" instead then we would be in agreement and the statement would actually reflect Musk's comments.

After all, how could Elon think that climate change will be so destructive that life on Earth will not be possible but life on Mars will?

Start experimenting with real Semi usage now and real Megacharger usage now, in order to learn and iterate
  • Helps with being ready for serious scaling some years from now
My day job involves interacting with a fair number of truck drivers. Many of them are long-haul and over the road, some are delivery drivers with 300-500 mile days being typical. Nearly universally, after a brief summation of the advantages of the EV platforms they have one strong belief; skepticism. None of them believe that Tesla will achieve the range, recharge times, payload, or reliability stated. The same few questions keep arising, which to be fair, are legitimate.

"Where will I charge?"
"Who will do maintenance/repairs?"
"Ok, so what is the REAL world range?"
etc.

It is broad pessimism and skepticism of the ability of Tesla to execute that pervades the OTR community. The location of (and powering of) the Semi-charger, the actual loaded ranges, the price for charging, the maintenance costs, and all of the little real-world issues that will crop up outside of warm-weather climates need to be uncovered and solved before massive scaling can begin.

The scaling to 100,000+ per year needs a test phase to be de-risked. Tesla did this with low production S for several years before the mass produced 3 and Y platforms were revealed. I suspect that the 50,000 2024 production number that was mentioned in the last earnings call will turn out to be extremely optimistic.

Lastly, while the drivers are not believers, they all had widened eyes when describing the savings in fuel costs (probably more than half) the maintenance savings (no engine, transmission, DEF/exhaust system, minimal brake wear, etc). Many of these drivers are hit routinely with multi-thousand and up to $60,000 bills for repairs. If Tesla manages the ramp-up and these things hit the road and keep the promises, drivers will flock to them. Demand will soar.

As SMR says, the more Teslas Tesla sells, the more Teslas Tesla sells.

"Climate change is the biggest threat that humanity faces this century, except for AI," Musk said in an interview with Rolling Stone. "I keep telling people this. I hate to be Cassandra here, but it's all fun and games until somebody loses a ****ing eye. This view [of climate change] is shared by almost everyone who's not crazy in the scientific community."

Captkkerosene, Here is the quote. Posted once before...
Seems pretty close to "threat to survival of species"....

Last edited:
My day job involves interacting with a fair number of truck drivers. Many of them are long-haul and over the road, some are delivery drivers with 300-500 mile days being typical. Nearly universally, after a brief summation of the advantages of the EV platforms they have one strong belief; skepticism. None of them believe that Tesla will achieve the range, recharge times, payload, or reliability stated. The same few questions keep arising, which to be fair, are legitimate.
This is no different than the switch from tube-type to tubeless tires or from bias-ply to radial. Truckers generally don't have a lot of spare change to experiment so they typically have a "prove-it" attitude about new things. However, once one (of a group) makes the switch, the others (in the group) soon follow.

"Where will I charge?"
etc.

It is broad pessimism and skepticism of the ability of Tesla to execute that pervades the OTR community. The location of (and powering of) the Semi-charger, the actual loaded ranges, the price for charging, the maintenance costs, and all of the little real-world issues that will crop up outside of warm-weather climates need to be uncovered and solved before massive scaling can begin.

The scaling to 100,000+ per year needs a test phase to be de-risked. Tesla did this with low production S for several years before the mass produced 3 and Y platforms were revealed. I suspect that the 50,000 2024 production number that was mentioned in the last earnings call will turn out to be extremely optimistic.

Lastly, while the drivers are not believers, they all had widened eyes when describing the savings in fuel costs (probably more than half) the maintenance savings (no engine, transmission, DEF/exhaust system, minimal brake wear, etc). Many of these drivers are hit routinely with multi-thousand and up to $60,000 bills for repairs. If Tesla manages the ramp-up and these things hit the road and keep the promises, drivers will flock to them. Demand will soar.

In many cases, I do not think the drivers themselves decide, if the numbers are clear. Those cases will keep Tesla busy for years to come…

In many cases, I do not think the drivers themselves decide, if the numbers are clear. Those cases will keep Tesla busy for years to come…
Correct. Fleets are different. Though I recall the drivers complaining about the switch from bias-ply to radial. The issue was that an experience truck driver could anticipate road irregularities and correct for them. The belts in the radial tires made this unnecessary so they were thrown off-balance at first.

You are correct in a lot of cases, however, the majority of the drivers I interact with are owner-operators and as such are intimately familiar with the cost of operation. They are typically either leased on with a carrier, or work with brokers to fill their schedule.

I have no doubt that the large operations will run the numbers and flood the Tesla Semi order book. They will often have significant advantages over the little guy. For example, they often have dedicated terminals and warehouses where the chargers can be installed and they can control the charging costs and timing. Also, they are not capital constrained in the way an independent would be so making a large purchase decision is less stressful.

+1

CNN trash Musk, talks climate change, dramatically act like they are being blown away by the wind during hurricane coverage when people in the background walking fine.

Follow the money, I give you a hint guys...they don't care about climate change. Bad weather is monitizable and trashing Musk is monitizable.

I don't know if CNN has done such but the first google result shows The Weather Channel as the one that faked the high wind while people walked by.

"Where will I charge?"
etc.

Are you surprised given the media portrayal of tesla and EV's plus the social group that is truckers?

Hardly young to be the most open thinking crowd on this given the levels of fud around.

Their questions really highlite the general ignorance around electrification.

Why do we, on a TSLA investor forum, encourage so many people to sell TSLA stock?

No. Stop doing that! :p

The correct answer is "with all due respect I would recommend holding all your TSLA stock and doing more homework before investing more in this company. Then buy a whole bunch more stock.
Well, because as soon as (many) people buy a single share, they suddenly think they have a right to be judge, jury and executioner without actually having lifted a finger to do the hard work that was involved in bringing the company into a profitable existence and the SP to rise and reward them. Basically, people are ungrateful, walking cesspools of destruction and I’d rather they sell, move along, and go pick on a worthier (needs the criticism) cause. This man and company is not it.

wbmstvt1jdx91.jpg