Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided to ignore that thread now as well as twitter for the time bieng, as it starts to get me jittery about my TSLA holding and Elon.

The Twitter thread doesn't get me jittery about my TSLA holdings or Elon, my conviction in Tesla is based on a solid foundation of facts and existing trends. I have to avoid that thread because it makes me realize how short-sighted so many TMC TSLA investors really are (and I hope it acts as an archive to document how wrong-headed the thinking is of all the people who think they know more about social media than Elon).

I'll predict that in 5 years it will become obvious just how beneficial Elon's ownership of Twitter had been for Tesla's public image and accelerating the mission. I believe the reason for the current disconnect is people view Twitter as being mostly static rather than a living, breathing thing. Twitter has been static because it has been run by a bunch of people who were blind to how things work, nothing is static under Elon Musk's active hand.

By taking something that is a powerful force for evil, and transforming it into a force for good, humanity wins more than twice, more than the sum of the two wins. The benefits to Tesla and humanity will compound. The naysayers are unable to imagine how this could possibly be accomplished even though Elon has made no secret of it. Using wisdom to guide the flow of information has unimaginable benefits that compound and cascade upon one another.

This is not an uncommon experience. I don’t get the super hatred, but whatever it is, the car is by itself outstanding. When your SO goes on another rant again (I’ve had this happen so many times), ask them to pay for service a, service, B, full brake, and rotor replacement, transmission, fluid replacement, it goes on, and on if we are to accurately compare the model S/X with other cars such as in our case Mercedes, GLS. I would hesitate to say we have had to replace the brakes on the gls at least three times in 70,000 miles and not once thru 80,000 mile model X.
Oh, forgot to mention. Tesla mobile service has been out twice in the last year. Yesterday was one of them and the comment was, "what car company comes to your home?" I wanted to say the one with global dominance, an unassailable lead, highest profit margins in automotive history, 1st manufacture in a hundred years in the US that started and didn't go bankrupt, leading the world in Energy storage, 1st company that will achieve autonomous driving saving millions of lives per year, safest known vehicles to ever been produced, made us tons of $$ in the market for our retirement.
But I didn't, just said "maybe their bays are full at the service center"!

Great answers and yes, it was her best friend and sister who said "Why aren't you driving a Tesla? You have solar.. just do it" Those discussions were in front of her, she never said anything negative about Elon or Tesla until I pulled into the driveway and the kids came out and started loving the car!
When was this. When did she start hating on Elon or Tesla?

Yes, that is my best guess... everyone, and I mean everyone wants to see it,touch it,
Ride in it.. etc. Oh boy our Christmas party was something. About 40 people watching the light show. That might have been the drop that overflowed the glass.

Sounds like she is jealous :) You three should go together to a marriage counselor....

My wife just had an anti-Elon rant after she read what he posted on Twitter. Then I put the Ron Baron interview on the TV and she said it’s the best investment of a lifetime.

There really is 2 different personalities of Elon. The well thought extremely developed thoughts in person during interviews and then the quick snappy commenter or on every subject on Twitter without moderation.

I think most of the regular folks do not follow the Twitter saga but for the ones following it it’s becoming a downward spiral of doom.

No offense intended but sounds like your wife might have two different personalities, not Elon. Elon is just Elon, he puts a higher premium on intrinsic qualities than superficial appearances. He likes to goof around and have fun with things while he changes the world. I'm just glad he cares enough to change the world.

I'm surprised that people who know how the media likes to make everything Elon does look foolish, buy into the media narrative of a Twitter "saga". To me, the business negotiations were just business as usual, especially considering that it happened at the same time the market went into a tailspin. That's bound to cause complications. People who have never helped close a multi-billion-dollar deal don't have any special expertise in such matters.

Rationally most of us know that such talent and determination as that of Elon Musk carries with it some abnormal traits. Some becoming, others not so.

Anyway I recall facing serious negativism when I described Elon’s long term Twitter strategy. He repeated it in the Baron interview.

I think you might be misunderstanding exactly what the "negativism" your post received was actually directed towards. It's one of the problems of downvoting an entire post, often the downvote is directed at one specific comment that elicited a particularly strong reaction.

IDIOM POLICE: Yah busted!
Maybe "Tesla is firing on all cylinders" meant thousands of 2170s all burning?

1667664162171.png

She doesn't like the attention it brings. They all, including her best friend love it. Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? I guarantee if I sold it today she would start being nicer again. Btw, I am not selling it or my TSLA stock no matter what.

Men know how much women love flowers. You could try getting creative with product placement:

1667665688399.png

1667665718618.png

If that doesn't work, it sounds like her best friend likes Tesla's. Maybe you should try dating her? 🤔

/s

People aren’t responsible for the crap Elon occasionally puts out on Twitter. Elon is.

Even if he used his platform to only educate about climate change, renewables, benefits of EVs, solar, and space travel there would be plenty of people attacking him. May not be the same people but it would be there.

He’s decided to be a highly public figure on Twitter.
You’re right of course. And people love to point that out and then use it as a reason to be horrible acting people.

Where exactly is their responsibility to be decent human beings? There’s not a single thing keeping all from not responding and certainly from not responding in a provocative or negative way except their own distasteful personalities.

The standards you have for others are the ones you should have for yourself. And no, I’m not saying that nothing should ever be said but there’s a way to do it in a better, positive way.

Elon, you’re an idiot and unhinged for doing such and such -

Elon, I understand your distrust of media sources, but the article you linked to is from an even more distrustful source that -

Surely, you can see the difference. The latter is what I advocate for and I believe Elon deserves that effort and respect for all he’s done and will do.

Not correct, go back and re-read that. I've double-checked this with my CPA.

This:
"A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) [April 15th] of the tax return for the year prior [Year - 1] to the year for which the election becomes effective [Year].

April 15th 2023, for 2022 losses.

Why would you possibly file for 2022 losses by April 15th 2022? That's only 1/3 of the year so far, you have no idea what your gains/losses might be.
Because it is not to cover losses, it is for people who trade as a business/ income stream.
You declare in tax year X that you will be using mark to market in tax year X+1 and lock in the basis of all your holdings.
It says you declare a year prior, April 2023 is tax year 2022, the year prior to 2023.