Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) [April 15th] of the tax return for the year prior [Year - 1] to the year for which the election becomes effective [Year].

Year effective: 2022 "If you have huge capital loss in 2022"
Year prior: 2021
Date of election: 2021 filing date: April 15, 2022

So for 2022, deadline would be 2021's filling due date of April 15th, 2022. Note also the normal income treatment of all stocks, unless specifically excluded at time of purchase.

Not correct, go back and re-read that. I've double-checked this with my CPA.

This:
"A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) [April 15th] of the tax return for the year prior [Year - 1] to the year for which the election becomes effective [Year].

April 15th 2023, for 2022 losses.

Why would you possibly file for 2022 losses by April 15th 2022? That's only 1/3 of the year so far, you have no idea what your gains/losses might be.

they’re sucked into the media narrative hook, line, and sinker.

whats confusing is many are tesla investors…

really? as if the lies and attack vectors are a new thing?

why would you believe media noise this time? ohhh, because elon said something offensive.

pathetic

Exactly. I'm AMAZED that they know MSM pushes nothing but FUD on Tesla . . . but somehow what MSM promotes about Elon is 100% legit?

The guy has had his screw ups, but this whole "house is on fire" thing is BS.

Seems like the Twitter overhand will stay there forever as wallstreet thinks Elon will have to sell 4M worth of TSLA daily because of Twitter daily deficits.

I wonder when this will turn around. The market might associate the 2 companies together until Twitter turns out to be profitable.

Remember the time TSLA was related to BTC?

Twitter had over $6 billion in cash at the end of 2021. They are a long way from running out of cash. Elon does not need to sell anything.

Their balance sheet is actually pretty healthy. Even with the additional debt of the takeover, Elon has a couple of years to turn things around as long as advertising revenue does not continue to fall. If Elon says something truly heinous that causes a mass exodus, then it could unravel very quickly.

Last edited:
My wife just had an anti-Elon rant after she read what he posted on Twitter. Then I put the Ron Baron interview on the TV and she said it’s the best investment of a lifetime.

There really is 2 different personalities of Elon. The well thought extremely developed thoughts in person during interviews and then the quick snappy commenter or on every subject on Twitter without moderation.

I think most of the regular folks do not follow the Twitter saga but for the ones following it it’s becoming a downward spiral of doom.
This is a serious question. If anyone has any tips on how to get their spouse or significant other to stop hating on Elon and Tesla please share. When we first got married I owned a Red 911. My wife called it a p**is car. (Think a phallic shape) She hated it so I sold it.
I figured she would be on board with an EV because she cares about the environment. However, the day I brought it home she wouldn't even look at it more than once. She has been in it twice now to drive her to get a recall fixed on her minivan and once when she and her friend had a few too many and they needed a ride home. This is 2 rides in 14 months. My best guess is any friends or family that come over want to see it, go for a ride, and then ask me a million questions about it within earshot of her. She doesn't like the attention it brings. They all, including her best friend love it. Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? I guarantee if I sold it today she would start being nicer again. Btw, I am not selling it or my TSLA stock no matter what.

This is a serious question. If anyone has any tips on how to get their spouse or significant other to stop hating on Elon and Tesla please share. When we first got married I owned a Red 911. My wife called it a p**is car. (Think a phallic shape) She hated it so I sold it.
I figured she would be on board with an EV because she cares about the environment. However, the day I brought it home she wouldn't even look at it more than once. She has been in it twice now to drive her to get a recall fixed on her minivan and once when she and her friend had a few too many and they needed a ride home. This is 2 rides in 14 months. My best guess is any friends or family that come over want to see it, go for a ride, and then ask me a million questions about it within earshot of her. She doesn't like the attention it brings. They all, including her best friend love it. Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? I guarantee if I sold it today she would start being nicer again. Btw, I am not selling it or my TSLA stock no matter what.
the day I brought it home she wouldn't even look at it more than once. - Did she know you were buying it up until the day your brought it home?

Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? Unfortunately not, i am in the same boat, we just not talk about Tesla and Elon (I leave those discussions to everyone that comes over to our house) :)

She doesn't like the attention it brings - Give her more attention instead of eating, sleeping and breathing nothing but Elon and Tesla, this will soothe it a little. (Ask me how i know, i am living proof of this) :)

Seems like the Twitter overhand will stay there forever as wallstreet thinks Elon will have to sell 4M worth of TSLA daily because of Twitter daily deficits.

I wonder when this will turn around. The market might associate the 2 companies together until Twitter turns out to be profitable.

Remember the time TSLA was related to BTC?
Since Twitter is private now, we no longer know if Twitter is profitable...the only estimate is when Elon quits tweeting that they're losing money?

• Funny
Reactions: Nocturnal
Good luck, friend.

the day I brought it home she wouldn't even look at it more than once. - Did she know you were buying it up until the day your brought it home?

Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? Unfortunately not, i am in the same boat, we just not talk about Tesla and Elon (I leave those discussions to everyone that comes over to our house) :)

She doesn't like the attention it brings - Give her more attention instead of eating, sleeping and breathing nothing but Elon and Tesla, this will soothe it a little. (Ask me how i know, i am living proof of this) :)
Great answers and yes, it was her best friend and sister who said "Why aren't you driving a Tesla? You have solar.. just do it" Those discussions were in front of her, she never said anything negative about Elon or Tesla until I pulled into the driveway and the kids came out and started loving the car!

Run! Legally separate while your TSLA shares are still in the dumpster. You'll thank me later. Unfortunately for me I waited too long, but better late than never.

No car, not even a Tesla, is worth ruining a marriage. I don't know either of you, but this doesn't sound like it's about the car or Elon at all but about you liking something that she doesn't. Spouses are allowed to have other interests that the other one doesn't care for or even dislikes. I've experienced something along those lines myself. I'd suggest counseling. Not financial advice, but it is personal advice. Good luck man.

Great answers and yes, it was her best friend and sister who said "Why aren't you driving a Tesla? You have solar.. just do it" Those discussions were in front of her, she never said anything negative about Elon or Tesla until I pulled into the driveway and the kids came out and started loving the car!
Have you sat down and talked to her about her issues? Seems there is something below the surface. I have several friends who have cancelled orders or refuse to consider Tesla because of Elon’s non-business related antics, and probably some billionaire rejection. It frustrates me while I know I talk about EM/Tesla too much……..

Have you sat down and talked to her about her issues? Seems there is something below the surface. I have several friends who have cancelled orders or refuse to consider Tesla because of Elon’s non-business related antics, and probably some billionaire rejection. It frustrates me while I know I talk about EM/Tesla too much……..
Thank you and yes. We have spent too long talking about the car. Not me mentioning it, but after a friend or family member does. She then says something like , oh God, more people that want to see it or go for a ride.

Stock has been pegged at 209.05 all day. MM's sure are powerful. SMH. ;)
Thank you @OrthoSurg for posting this.

Elon looks absolutely fine. He did not appear stressed or depressed.

He said nothing wrong. He repeated comments he made in the past that applied at that time.

I have no idea why any shareholder would have issues with this interview outside of the fact that the SP went down for whatever random reason the algos and hedgies seized upon and the shareholder decided that EM must be to blame. In that case, keep the blame flowing, because the SP will not stop yoyoing any time in the next few years.
For sure. I didn't read anything bearish at all in that interview. That's the Elon we all know and love (and who makes us a ton of money).

This is not an uncommon experience. I don’t get the super hatred, but whatever it is, the car is by itself outstanding. When your SO goes on another rant again (I’ve had this happen so many times), ask them to pay for service a, service, B, full brake, and rotor replacement, transmission, fluid replacement, it goes on, and on if we are to accurately compare the model S/X with other cars such as in our case Mercedes, GLS. I would hesitate to say we have had to replace the brakes on the gls at least three times in 70,000 miles and not once thru 80,000 mile model X.