Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point. I’m perfectly fine with a new CEO being appointed and Elon just being head of product development & engineering. He clearly doesn’t care to be a CEO in that as a public company, he still has some responsibilities to shareholder to at least not damage/hurt shareholders.

Maybe put this guy as Global CEO and then Zach as the actual CEO.

I have my.shield…..bring on the disagrees lol 🤷

I agree with this. Same situation like SpaceX and he will still drive the product forward.

in personal, Having sold jan 24 500 CCs against shares, and Jan 23 250 CC's against leaps yesterday... got some $$ ... and added 2 Jan 25 300s leaps ($30 each)
lower BB support at 168-169
As a long, not all losses can not be accounted for , but with selling CC's, I am at more like 70% from ATH in my portfolio :) (& I am all in .. :) )

PPI comes out 12/9 ... MM will make their move by tomorrow (media will print we expect better than expected ....)

Last edited:
If you're going to accuse someone of lying, then provide evidence for the allegation. If you have no evidence, then why not give your fellow humans the benefit of the doubt with respect to malice vs. mistakes?

"FIVE-YEAR delay"? The Semi reveal was in Nov 2017 and the original estimated time for initial deliveries was 2019. So that's a three year delay. In between then and now, there have been major unexpected problems including Model 3 Production Hell, COVID, Supply Chain Hell, and surprisingly strong demand for 3 & Y that have sucked up all available resources. I would imagine Tesla has probably been in communication with Semi reservation holders in the meantime explaining the delays.

People challenge Elon's decisions all the time and he openly welcomes it. He is an actual scientist who fully embraces the philosophy of empiricism and striving to become less wrong over time via humility, open-mindedness, and careful observation and data collection. That is one of the main reasons why I'm invested, because that's both extremely important and extremely uncommon amongst senior managers in general in the corporate world. I can't find the video clip anymore, but I remember that Sandy Munro recounted an experience last year with sitting in on a SpaceX design review meeting in which Elon said they should do something and immediately another engineer directly contradicted him like "C'mon Elon, that won't work for XYZ reasons" and Elon was like "Oh, ok, what else have we got?" Sandy said he was shocked to witness that, because no other C-suite executive he'd ever had the displeasure of sitting with in a meeting would've responded positively to being called out like that. In my experience at Boeing and a previous company it was the same. We wasted so much time tiptoeing around executive egos and doing stuff we knew was a dead end because no one could just bluntly tell them why something wouldn't work and actually get anywhere with it. Normally executives are more interested in having subordinates stroking their egos and in maintaining an image of infallibility.

Also, what is your rationale for how a PR department would accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy? That's the only criterion that matters. It seems like Martin Viecha is doing a decent-enough job, so he literally is serving as the ONE PERSON PR department you think we don't have.

Nice guess. Do you have data you can show us to demonstrate how you reached this conclusion?

I just checked and I see that the stock prices of all of the following have hit 1.5 to 2-year lows at some point in Q2 and in Q4, with most hitting extreme lows in the middle of October:
  • Tesla

• S&P 500
  • NASDAQ

• Microsoft
  • Alphabet
  • Amazon
  • TSMC
  • Meta
  • NVIDIA
  • Tencent
  • Samsung
  • Alibaba
  • ASML
  • Broadcom
  • Oracle
  • Cisco
  • Texas Instruments
  • Adobe
  • Tata
  • Netflix
  • Qualcomm
  • Salesforce
  • SAP
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Meituan
  • PinDuoDuo

• Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • BMW
  • GM
  • Stellantis
  • Hyundai
  • Nissan
  • BYD
  • Kia
  • Renault*
  • Nio
  • Li Auto
  • Great Wall Motors
  • Suzuki*
  • Geely
  • SAIC
  • Changan*
  • Ferrari
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • Fisker
*Renault, Suzuki and Changan hit 2-year lows in Q2 but not Q4. Suzuki and Changan did drop in October however, still following the overall group trend.

I see that this list includes (with the exception of Apple and IBM) all of the world's most valued software/electronics companies and all of the world's automotive companies.

It's really quite unfortunate that one man has the power to unleash this much destruction, not only on his own company's stock but also the stocks in his business sectors as well as the entire stock market. Why can't he just be normal? This is all his fault and I'm very angry at him for doing this. /s

It's been a month since I last updated these charts, but they clearly show the tight coupling between TSLA and the S&P 500. The relationship with the NASDAQ looks similar but slightly weaker.

View attachment 882120
View attachment 882121

As shown below, there clearly has been some decoupling in Q4 so far, starting on Oct 3rd, which was the first trading day of Q4 and also the Monday after the "disappointing" P&D numbers came out. To reiterate, the auto and tech sectors in general had really rough Octobers in the stock market, so TSLA was not especially unique.

The real nonsense mainly occurred in the beginning of November, and nothing seems to have pulled TSLA back up since then.

View attachment 882130

There is a convenient, emotionally salient explanation for this drop starting November 4th that maybe some people would like to discuss further in the Twitter thread. There are also other possible factors we could identify, like:
  • The intensifying China-related fears regarding demand and potential COVID disruptions, in the aftermath of low October wholesale numbers being published, growing numbers of Omicron cases nationwide, new government lockdowns in some areas including Shanghai, and growing social unrest unprecedented in the entire post-Tiananmen Square era
  • Elon selling 20M shares that week, plus market response to that news when the Form 4s later came out
  • Elon saying in the Ron Baron interview that week, "...many times I've recommended people don't invest in Tesla and I've said our stock is too high, but then people just ignore me and keep buying the stock for some reason" and people misunderstanding what he was intending to communicate
  • A major ramp-up of both the Tesla FUD onslaught and the prevalence of trolls appearing in investment discussion boards such as this one
  • Increasing short interest including possible naked short-selling by market makers
  • Lots of people getting margin calls
Without more information that we'll probably never be able to obtain, it's basically impossible to reach any strong conclusion without speculation. Let's give it more time and see how it plays out. Q4 P&D numbers are just four weeks away.
(emphasis mine)

Agree... and to add to the specific point I underlined, yes the Semi was 3 years (not 5 as you point out), but as been the case with Elon & Tesla many times, the final delivered product is superior to what was shown/expected. The Semi has: plaid motors (implying higher HP), a 1.7KWh/mi average energy use (as opposed to the 1.9ish many assumed "under 2KWh/mi" meant), no longer requires special tires/rims/aero to reach its energy target (reducing owner expense), slightly exceeds range target (500 mi. test thru mountainous terrain consumed only 93% of charge), etc...

This is opposed to most concept vehicles or product spec announcements... the actual product often drops many things/capabilities touted up front...

It’s been said. Several times. We get it. You and some others are upset with the CEO. You’re upset when he spends time at Tesla doing ERs and events, and you’re upset when he’s not. You’re upset when he has an opinion about Tesla and TSLA. You’re upset when he doesn’t have an opinion about Tesla or TSLA. You’re upset when he supports Tesla and TSLA and when he doesn’t.

Do not make me provide examples through the years of all of the above.
What you posted is mostly nonsense so go ahead if you're so motivated. Should be obvious but since you aren't in my head, (as much as you may think otherwise), you don't really know what I'm upset about. However your personal attack has nothing at all to do with the comment I posted, which was only about what some portion of the general market may be thinking about the CEO. That's a simple reality. If you want to ignore that reality that's fine, your choice, but don't impose it on others. Go ahead and put me on ignore if you don't ever want to see a negative comment about the CEO, I think you'll be happier.

in personal, Having sold jan 24 500 CCs against shares, and Jan 23 250 CC's against leaps yesterday... got some $$ ... and added 2 Jan 25 300s leaps
As a long, not all losses can be accounted for , but with selling CC's, I am at more like 70% from ATH in my portfolio :)

PPI comes out 12/9 ... MM will make their move by tomorrow (media will print we expect better than expected ....)
TSLA will be lucky to hold the low if set a couple weeks back at this rate. Shorts know they can spread whatever demand fears they want at this point and Tesla and/or Elon won’t respond. Zero communication out of Tesla or Elon. So it’s free for all until quarterly numbers and we should all pray that the CPI number comes in very cold next week. Hedge funds practically salivating on have TSLA on the edge of 160 and then being able to plummet the stock straight down to 150 or lower if the CPI number comes in hot.

Ffs Tesla and Tesla Board, do your job and respond to your company being attacked with hit pieces and false information on a weekly basis now. The board can convene at any time they want to approve a buy back

Last edited:
in personal, Having sold jan 24 500 CCs against shares, and Jan 23 250 CC's against leaps yesterday... got some $$ ... and added 2 Jan 25 300s leaps ($30 each)
As a long, not all losses can not be accounted for , but with selling CC's, I am at more like 70% from ATH in my portfolio :) (& I am all in .. :) )

I’m down a similar amount. Options giveth and options taketh away.

FED might surprise with a .25 raise next time.

Economics , they are requiring big deposits, wait time is long. Charging stations require industrial locations with 3phase. Many small truck companies are located away from industrial zoning on purpose and few are going to Have access.

So too much upfront costs and they don’t have equipment yards to charge. It is going to be a terrible thing for many small companies as the truck fleet, knowledge and mechanical know how, and equipment yards are much of their wealth.

I think the semi is the most important thing Tesla can do right now but it is going to destroy some small trucking firms and bankrupt many. Semi is a complete game changer due to fuel costs and the fleets will move. Might take a long time, 5-10 , years to move the long distance fleet but most trucks run local routes in a 200 mile area.

Of course this requires 50k run rate. It also has a battery implication in that the packs are 2170 packs- 1 MW each. Does that equal most of the production capacity of Reno? If so it is evidence that maybe they have 4680 figured out. Each semi is what, 15 model3s? The new Panasonic plants are doing 4680 right? Think about it and let us know. I might be wrong
And none of that has anything to do with how wrong you suggested the poster was. You wrote they were loyal, trash talk, etc etc. Instead you bring up obvious practical reasons.

Reactions: Krugerrand
It was disappointing how little they mentioned Tesla's EV Semi, and even with that they acted like only ONE truck was delivered to Pepsi, not mentioning it was actually FIVE, with 10 more by the end of December. :rolleyes: I don't remember if they even mentioned the 500 mile range of the Tesla, but they did try to make the point that for now EV trucks are only good for short, local deliveries. 😖
But, I think the best part of the news segment was that both the female Amazon van driver and the guy driving the Volvo EV beer semi both indicated that they never want to go back to diesel. Both loved the quiet, no fumes, and power of the EV vehicle. I can't wait until we start getting feedback from Pepsi semi truck drivers.
Speaking of the Amazon delivery van. I saw one for the 1st time right outside our house couple nights ago. Was cool to see.

It was disappointing how little they mentioned Tesla's EV Semi, and even with that they acted like only ONE truck was delivered to Pepsi, not mentioning it was actually FIVE, with 10 more by the end of December. :rolleyes: I don't remember if they even mentioned the 500 mile range of the Tesla, but they did try to make the point that for now EV trucks are only good for short, local deliveries. 😖
But, I think the best part of the news segment was that both the female Amazon van driver and the guy driving the Volvo EV beer semi both indicated that they never want to go back to diesel. Both loved the quiet, no fumes, and power of the EV vehicle. I can't wait until we start getting feedback from Pepsi semi truck drivers.
Yeah, they showed a side view of a Semi with trailer from a large distance and said Tesla delivered their first last week... maybe 5 seconds worth.

In all fairness though, I'm sure the segment had already been put together and the Semi portion was inserted after the delivery event. Anyway it was a good view, glad to see some positive press about electric big rigs in general!

There aren’t a million people smart enough not to fall for WallStreets shenanigans. Just look around the room of people who are supposed to know better.

And that is a sad commentary on humanity. The percentage of people that are not easily fooled is very low. That is because the shenanigans are designed to work on human weaknesses like greed, fear and the desire to be accepted and not ostracized. The bad actors understand how to manipulate humans and the humans are too stoopid to not be manipulated. Elon is successful partly because he makes decisions independent of these three things, he doesn't participate in groupthink, he's not greedy and he is one of the least fearful people you will meet.

The investor thread is one small bastion of TMC that is not infiltrated by bad actors because we call them out with facts. Oh, they are here too, they just get less traction and have little credibility. Still, we pay them too much attention and are overly concerned about being accused of being called "fanbois". It is a technique the bad actors use to soften us up to their manipulations. They want to take the shine off Tesla and Elon Musk any way they can and one of those ways is to infect every TMC thread with negativity and accuse those who spread good feelings of being "fanbois".

Many sincere Tesla owners and investors fall for this tactic of 'divide and conquer', being afraid of having too high of an opinion of the master himself. As for me, I ignore them and stay focused on the facts and accomplishments, and the trajectory, of one of the greatest companies to ever exist, led by one of the greatest leaders to ever grace humanity with his extraordinary talents. Indeed, if his talents were not extraordinary, companies like SpaceX and Tesla would be the norm, not the exception, and humanity would be so far advanced from where it is today, we could not even recognize it.

Ffs Tesla and Tesla Board, do your job and respond to your company being attacked with gif prices and false information on a weekly basis now.
This is misplaced anger. The ACTUAL problem is that Options Market Makers can sell unlimited shares to drop the SP to any level that suits them. The U.S. Equities market under this SEC is not a level playing field (not when they allow "Player/Referees").

You are demonstrating your immaturity by pointing an accusational finger at Tesla's Board, as if this is their fault. The Board did not create this situation, Bernie Madoff did. Tesla's Board is navagating this environment for the good of the Business and the Company mission.

The board can convene at any time they want to approve a buy back
Elon tweeted this at Tesla Board Member Hiro Mizuno on Nov 14, 2022 in reply to Leo Kuoguan's request that Tesla do a share buyback: (did you forget?)

Elon Musk on Twitter: "@SeagerKershaw @KoguanLeo @hiromichimizuno This is up to the Tesla board" / Twitter

Pro Tip: Share buybacks won't matter to the SP when Market Makers can poof an infinite number of shares into existance and never deliver them. The only way to fix the problem is to:
  1. Admit that Options Market Makers (like Citadel) are the problem, and
  2. End the Madoff Exemption which allows naked short selling for Options Market Makers, thereby
  3. Restore the cause-and-effect relationship of Supply'n'Demand in the Market.
Do you really think that Elon and Hiro DON'T know this?

Last edited:

So I guess that’s how low we can go

Pingwest: Elon Musk has decided to appoint Tom Zhu as Tesla's global CEO.

My guess, probably non-US operations (i.e. China and Germany)

My guess, preparing for Elon thinking China will inevitably make a move on Taiwan and where he believes Tesla will still be permitted to sell vehicles within China and to other Asia-Pacific countries who will readily accept Chinese exports after they make the move.

Reactions: Skryll
This is misplaced anger. The ACTUAL problem is that Options Market Makers can sell unlimited shares to drop the SP to any level that suits them. The U.S. Equities market under this SEC is not a level playing field (not when their are "Player/Referees").

You are demonstrating your immaturity by pointing an accusational finger at Tesla's Board, as if this their fault. The Board did not create this situation, Bernie Madoff did. Tesla's Board is navagating this environment for the good of the Business and the Company mission.

Elon tweeted this at Tesla Board Member Hiro Mizuno on Nov 14, 2022 in reply to Leo Kuoguan's request that Tesla do a share buyback: (did you forget?)

Elon Musk on Twitter: "@SeagerKershaw @KoguanLeo @hiromichimizuno This is up to the Tesla board" / Twitter

Pro Tip: Share buybacks won't matter to the SP when Market Makers can poof and infinate number of shares into existance and never deliver them. The only way to fix the problem is to 1). Admit that Options Market Makers like Citidel are the problem, and 2). End the Madoff Exemption which allows naked short selling for Options Market Makers.

Do you really think that Elon and Hiro DON'T know this?
Still, a share buyback would signal to many investors that they should either purchase or hold. It would also make the Player/Referees more apparent. Or they could just pay a dividend to existing shareholders.

Pingwest: Elon Musk has decided to appoint Tom Zhu as Tesla's global CEO.

My guess, probably non-US operations (i.e. China and Germany)

Might be fake news though: