Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have a sort of "category" for this forum and the satellite ones? TMC outside this thread is a very complicated place, there are dozens of different forums with hundreds of threads each... Most of those die within 10 posts.
A thread with ongoing discussions is a different thing, this is why we come back in this thread specifically.
I know that I personally like reminders of other live threads, I can't figure out to find them by myself :D
TSLA Investor Discussions

we tend to branch in this sub caterory.

Do we have a sort of "category" for this forum and the satellite ones? TMC outside this thread is a very complicated place, there are dozens of different forums with hundreds of threads each... Most of those die within 10 posts.
A thread with ongoing discussions is a different thing, this is why we come back in this thread specifically.
I know that I personally like reminders of other live threads, I can't figure out to find them by myself :D
Menu
Community
New or Hot or Forums (with subs) or Find Thread or Watched or Members or, or, or…

I use New to get an exhaustive list of threads with new posts when this thread just isn’t depressing or distressing enough.

The market is going to be shocked once it realizes that a few thousand dollar discount to Tesla vehicles will still mean excellent margins and earnings.
I’m rather comfortable saying gross margins will stay steady from Shanghai despite the price cut and incentives. No one seems to understand that both Q2 and Q3 only had 50% utilization at the Shanghai factory which disproportionately effects gross margin. With production at full speed for the entire quarter, all of the fixed costs such as depreciation and amortization are spread out over more cars, thus raising gross margins.

But ya know, the market could care less. See everyone at 150 🥴

Do we know what the upgrades were at Shanghai that allowed them to increase capacity? Whole new lines or just upgrades or both? Do we know if they had to add production employees or how many?

I find it strange the media and analysts are so concerned about small discounts and price reductions while completely ignoring the margin impacts of Tesla increasing production by around 30% in one quarter without adding factories.

Holiday software surprises planned... not confirmed.

I'll just copy this note for summary.

1670423026418.png

I’m rather comfortable saying gross margins will stay steady from Shanghai despite the price cut and incentives. No one seems to understand that both Q2 and Q3 only had 50% utilization at the Shanghai factory which disproportionately effects gross margin. With production at full speed for the entire quarter, all of the fixed costs such as depreciation and amortization are spread out over more cars, this lowering raising gross margins.

But ya know, the market could care less. See everyone at 150 🥴

Foreign exchange pressures are also less this quarter, enough so that I would bet those would counteract any local small discounts such as what we see now.

Do we know what the upgrades were at Shanghai that allowed them to increase capacity? Whole new lines or just upgrades or both? Do we know if they had to add production employees or how many?

I find it strange the media and analysts are so concerned about small discounts and price reductions while completely ignoring the margin impacts of Tesla increasing production by around 30% in one quarter without adding factories.

I believe that 30% was deliveries, and they had some inventory from Q3 that had not been delivered that they burned through. That's the theory being promoted anyway.

We won't know production until numbers come out tomorrow in China.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Big segment tonight on NBC Evening News about Electric Big Rigs. Spent a lot of of time on Rivian's Amazon rigs, then mentioned that Tesla made their first delivery last week (that was it), closed with Volvo's 250 mile class 8 with a ride in it. Other than Tesla barely being mentioned, it was a good segment. Encouraging news about EV adoption in the big leagues.
It was disappointing how little they mentioned Tesla's EV Semi, and even with that they acted like only ONE truck was delivered to Pepsi, not mentioning it was actually FIVE, with 10 more by the end of December. :rolleyes: I don't remember if they even mentioned the 500 mile range of the Tesla, but they did try to make the point that for now EV trucks are only good for short, local deliveries. 😖
But, I think the best part of the news segment was that both the female Amazon van driver and the guy driving the Volvo EV beer semi both indicated that they never want to go back to diesel. Both loved the quiet, no fumes, and power of the EV vehicle. I can't wait until we start getting feedback from Pepsi semi truck drivers.

Are you kidding me mod? We can't even say the CEO appears to be distracted? I didn't even mention why, I just said that's what it seems like to a portion of retail investors and one of the reasons they may not be jumping in at this time.
Obviously the data isn't there but between the market in general and the drama I think that's a reasonable conclusion.

Are you kidding me mod? We can't even say the CEO appears to be distracted? I didn't even mention why, I just said that's what it seems like to a portion of retail investors and one of the reasons they may not be jumping in at this time.
At this point. I’m perfectly fine with a new CEO being appointed and Elon just being head of product development & engineering. He clearly doesn’t care to be a CEO in that as a public company, he still has some responsibilities to shareholder to at least not damage/hurt shareholders.

Maybe put this guy as Global CEO and then Zach as the actual CEO.

I have my.shield…..bring on the disagrees lol 🤷

It was disappointing how little they mentioned Tesla's EV Semi…

I don't remember if they even mentioned the 500 mile range of the Tesla
They did not mention the Tesla 500 miles. I was ticked. Right after the brief Tesla mention, they focused on Volvo with just the 250 mile range and that this wouldn’t work for long haul trucking.

It’s been said. Several times. We get it. You and some others are upset with the CEO. You’re upset when he spends time at Tesla doing ERs and events, and you’re upset when he’s not. You’re upset when he has an opinion about Tesla and TSLA. You’re upset when he doesn’t have an opinion about Tesla or TSLA. You’re upset when he supports Tesla and TSLA and when he doesn’t.

Do not make me provide examples through the years of all of the above.

Suffice it to say, somebody is always upset with the CEO. Like every single second of every single day - and yet; look at the company grow and thrive.

Honestly, he should probably try upsetting even more people - it’s working for the planet and mankind. (And my portfolio)

Strange. What an incredibly polite word to use on this fine morning of utter market nonsense.

Whole new lines or just upgrades or both? Do we know if they had to add production employees or how many?
Yes, a long, long time ago. The upgrade carried out at Shanghai in July/Aug was announced in the local press in late 2021, but was delayed from Apr due to the rona. They added about 4K production employees to increase production from 800K to 1.1M per year.

Tesla to invest $188m to expand Shanghai Gigafactory, finish in April - Global Times | Dec 25, 2021

Tesla’s workforce expansion at Giga Shanghai will grow ‘new model’ line by 50% | Jan 6, 22

I find it strange the media...
Lol! Even stranger that anyone still believes the Media doesn't have an intentionally short memory. Remember, they're not paid to report the news, they're paid to move the Market.