Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides, who am I to tell one of the richest men in the world how to spend HIS money?

The problem is less about the fact he is selling, but more the manner in which he is selling. He directly harms TSLA investors every time he sells in this manner. As the largest shareholder and CEO of the company itself, it sure would be nice if he made the modest effort to NOT sell on the open market and TANK the stock every single time like this.

Gary Black is right about this, Elon could be making this MUCH less painful for investors with a minimal amount of effort. The fact he chooses not to is the elephant in the room here. AGAIN. :mad:

As others have pointed out, Wall Street trading firms KNOW when Elon is selling. So it makes it easy for them to take advantage by selling, selling short, loading up on puts, etc. Drop in stock price gets exacerbated. Looking back, the price action is pretty obvious.

That's why the most confounding thing to me is not that he sold, but why he doesn't sell through his investment bank(s). Smh.
It’s a valid question and I’m sure there’s a reason. We may eventually find out that reason or not.

I for one am glad to see this. It explains some/much of the SP weakness this week.

I still don't understand why Elon sells on the open market rather than through a block sale with an investment bank. I'm sure he has his reasons, but I fail to see any upside.

How do we know he isn't selling through block trades?

What a strange time for him to sell too. TSLA at record two year lows, and just a month away from 2022 Q4 earnings which will be record setting and ATH numbers.

Or maybe he's selling now because he knows something bad about Q4 which we don't? You just KNOW the TSALQ are going to be spinning that one. It's hard to argue against it with timing like this....
The Uber bulls will argue he is giving them a gift to buy shares at a low price and they wouldn’t necessarily be wrong.

As others have pointed out, Wall Street trading firms KNOW when Elon is selling. So it makes it easy for them to take advantage by selling, selling short, loading up on puts, etc. Drop in stock price gets exacerbated. Looking back, the price action is pretty obvious.

That's why the most confounding thing to me is not that he sold, but why he doesn't sell through his investment bank(s). Smh.

Yes, the timing of Morgan Stanley saying the stock was a good buy today of all days was a bit suspicious...

I hope he is selling some of his SpaceX shares too (maybe with the recent news about SpaceX insiders selling). It’s annoying that he is going to the Tesla well every time he needs funds.
The market for SpaceX stocks is not that large, the largest raise by SpaceX is less than $2B, insider sales tends to be a lot smaller, probably just a few hundred million.

They can't get tons of buyers for SpaceX since it's a lot more risky than Tesla, SpaceX's PE is probably more than 100 at this point, they're still losing money on Starlink/Starship, it'd be a while before SpaceX's financials become as good as Tesla.

I’ve been lurking this thread for a long time and this is my first post.

I don’t like rubbing it in, but I sold TSLA when chicken genius Singapore said to sell at 1200. I have not bought back in.
I think at this point, the macro and higher interest rates will dictate TSLA’s movement and no amount of rosy earnings predictions is going to change market sentiment at this time.

That said, I hope you all are mentally strong enough to not harm yourselves for your huge losses. I know someone took his own life recently because of his TSLA losses. I firmly believe this downtrend is temporary and we’ll be back to ATH after Powell confirms a pivot. Until then, don’t be surprised at further losses.

I’ve been lurking this thread for a long time and this is my first post.

I don’t like rubbing it in, but I sold TSLA when chicken genius Singapore said to sell at 1200. I have not bought back in.
I think at this point, the macro and higher interest rates will dictate TSLA’s movement and no amount of rosy earnings predictions is going to change market sentiment at this time.

That said, I hope you all are mentally strong enough to not harm yourselves for your huge losses. I know someone took his own life recently because of his TSLA losses. I firmly believe this downtrend is temporary and we’ll be back to ATH after Powell confirms a pivot. Until then, don’t be surprised at further losses.
Chicken is genius
And you are high IQ
And you joined today to tell us so

OK :)