Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, you buy a car and stock from a company who's mission statement says: Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

And why is that? Because....:

Please... I'd leave him alone. I always welcome discussions of science, but not everyone has the same reason for being interested in EVs. Some people just want a super-fast, fun car that can be made and powered domestically.

If there's some MAGA-hat-wearing guy who wants to buy an EV in order to give the middle finger to Iran, or a convert from driving noisy sports cars who got tired of being beaten off the line by EVs, or a survivalist out in the desert southwest who wants an EV so that they can stay "fueled" using solar from the roof of their bug-out shelter after the world ends, or whatever person they may be.... hey, power to them. Literally :)

Funny, you buy a car and stock from a company who's mission statement says: Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

And why is that? Because....

I did just that. Glad I had been following Tesla for years and not lurking on this forum. If I had I might have been turned off and not bought the best car ever made. :)

Turn your car on, stick your mouth around the tailpipe, breathe deeply, most importantly do this at night so you can’t blame it on the sun, get back to us and let us know if there is any CO2. Thanks

There is CO for sure and that alone is a good reason to have electric cars. Burning fuel stinks and is full of all kind of noxious chemicals.
And Oil dependency puts the US and others at risk because we must purchase oil from wonderful, tolerant people like the Saudis.
Notice how I made all of those arguments in support of EVs, without once suggesting you kill yourself. :rolleyes::oops:

No. 100% of people I know care about climate change. Very few % are considering EVs.

They were probably not considering a smart phone in 2008, but have one now. Tipping points have a way of being overwhelming. The EV tipping point comes, with or without advertising. Since mainstream advertising costs money that would otherwise provide utility, without is preferable. Tesla continue to get great mileage from free channels. In effect, Tesla *are* advertising.

This.

The EV tipping point is happening now due to economics and a superior product. SO even if you believe that our excess CO2 is killing the planet, you can rest assured you will still get what you want and my kids will be buying EVs when they are grown because they are, simply, better.

No. It will solve land transport and energy. It won’t solve shipping, aircraft, concrete, steel, agriculture. A partial solution is no better than no solution.

Last edited:
He who has a thing to sell
And goes and whispers in a well
Is not as apt to get the dollars
As he who climbs a tree and hollers.

And yet, Tesla isn’t whispering in a well. They just aren’t flogging their product the way it’s always been done and needed to be done.

When everyone is in the trees yelling over top of each other, I’m tuning out all the noise and going for a cruise in my ultra quiet Tesla.

BTW, we have strict rules here about poetry usage. Don’t.

Should we conclude that Elon’s tweet answer of “it’s better” to Bonnie mean that although end product will mean more efficient and/or lower costs but.....will take longer to ramp up?

Guidance is for production this year. If there’s a leaning curve, the guidance suggests it’s not steep. i.e. evolutionary not revolutionary changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: X Fan
Guidance is for production this year. If there’s a leaning curve, the guidance suggests it’s not steep. i.e. evolutionary not revolutionary changes.
I was figuring on meaningful production out of Shanghai starting in Q1 2020. Perhaps we will see a month or two of some decent production in 2019. That would be phenomenal and desperately needed to boost production.

Every automaker sells every car they make.

Like every other automaker, Tesla is discounting to sell every car they make.

It is a legitimate question to ask if advertising is more cost effective at moving Tesla than the rather large price cuts.

Elon seems ideologically opposed to advertising. So it is a legitimate question to ask if this is one of his blind spots. Instead of discounting $60k on Model S P100DL and pissing off (some) current owners would it have been more cost effective to advertise a $15k discount?

You’re being intellectually dishonest. Unless you want us to believe your IQ is a lot lower than it is?

You darn well know that OEM cars sit on lots for months and months. Sometimes an entire year.

You also know that Tesla’s price reductions are for very different reasons than OEM dealership price reductions. Don’t make me spell it out for you.

Elon has shown flexibility to change his mind when he’s been wrong. And he’s also been abundantly clear demand is not an issue.

I would love to know why the 3 doesn't say Model 3 on the back. Also, every car should say TESLA. A lot of people don't know what the T stands for. It is "free" advertising that they could be doing.

Sometimes you just can’t see the forest for the trees.

The T is advertising. The lack of badging is also advertising. The shape and style of the car is advertising. The acceleration from a stop sign or light is advertising. Everything about the car is advertising.

I posted this in the quarterly thread, but that's not well trafficked.

Can someone link to a source with details for EU non compliance fines for CO2 emissions, for 2019. All I could find was for 2020 (with the ability to exclude 5% of the highest emitting vehicles) and 2021 (where they've to count all).

This has been touched on before, but it's bothering me. When you add up all of the model 3 production and subtract the deliveries and the in transit sales from Q1 2019, you get a current inventory of 11,400. That's a lot of model 3 inventory. Any thoughts on why and when Tesla will reduce that number? I'd like to think they can cut that in half, but that would probably require deliveries of over 70,000 in Q2 along with only mildly increased production over Q1. I'm not personally expecting record deliveries in Q2 but I hope I'm wrong. I can't imagine Tesla would want inventory at that high of a level right now, particularly with how tight cash is again.

Model 3 Production
Q3 2017: 260
Q4 2017: 2425
Q1 2018: 9766
Q2 2018: 28578
Q3 2018: 53239
Q4 2018: 61394
Q1 2019: 62950
Total: 218,612

Model 3 Deliveries
Q3 2017: 222
Q4 2017: 1542