Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the last earnings call, Elon said that even in the event of a tough recession, TSLA would still generate meaningful cash. Several weeks later, he seems to be singing a different tune. Macro environment hasn’t changed so dramatically since the q3 call. There is ample anecdotal data that his political rantings have had an effect. Tesla/Elon needs to show the data that refutes it. It shouldn’t even have to be an issue, but since he made it one, he must answer the doubts. Deflecting questions and talking about being ‘suppressed’ is nonsense.
Actually, macro has materially changed. Jay Powell announced the expected 0.5% rate hike, but no one expected his plan to keep rates elevated for much higher and much longer which will kill car and house sales for much longer (likes years longer).

I am normally a pretty rational thinker as well as would like to see other EV makers succeed. Lately, however, i cannot help but think this is a combined effort of MM's, Shortzies, outside influencers (Figured the time is right to attack Elon).
Macro and everything else does suck but does it really suck that bad that $TSLA should be down >60%?

This kind of repricing is actually pretty normal in the current macro environment, especially for a company that is sensitive to interest rates. That said, Tesla is such an exceptional company it probably should have been spared 20% of the drop ad stopped at $150. It also should have taken longer to get to decline to $150 if Tesla were not under organized attack, narratives that people actually believed were true.

False narratives endlessly repeated about stupid things like the end of Tesla demand, Elon margin calls, a crazed absentee CEO, and other amplified FUD that's endlessly repeated. Tesla has always been under attack, but the attacks lost their effectiveness when Tesla and TSLA were killing it, that caused TSLA detractors to go into hibernation and wait for more productive times. They waited for an opportune moment (recession and re-pricing of all stocks) to re-ramp up their shameless FUD. The detractors are back with a vengeance, and people are being paid and incentivized to propagate it at high volume, repetitively. Elon has not changed, but the narrative that he's unhinged has multiplied and the volume has been turned to "11". This is only a problem if the fake narratives are re-enforced instead of being called out.

What's shocking to me is how many people here, with so much more information at their disposal, fell for such transparent BS, hook, line and sinker. Utterly inexcusable for people who should know better about how the financial and business worlds function. Buying into these artificially amplified narratives actually helps the narratives spread and multiply and be taken seriously by people who don't know nearly as much. Instead, they should be nipped in the bud with short, concise, direct rebuttals.

Last edited:
At this point I think it’d be more positive for TSLA if she reported she’d liquidated her holdings.

Her funds are unmitigated disasters and her cheerleading has turned into a liability.

That's the perception created in the minds of investors without a lot of investing experience who don't understand the natural highs and lows of a basket full of speculative stocks. Both of my ARK funds are higher than where I bought them (in the 2nd half of 2019). You need to accept that such a fund is going to get hammered hard when investors are in a de-risking mood. And, like TSLA, they flew too high. Most of these stocks are about as far from a blue-chip stock as you can get. This is not a secret. ARKQ and ARKG are the only holdings in my brokerage besides cash and individual stocks and only one of them (ARKQ) has any TSLA in it. It is up 28.8% since I bought it and it would be worse than that if the delta on the Tesla buys and sells was not so favorable. Also, they both pay a small dividend.

The favorable TSLA trading means the ARKQ TSLA purchases and sales have increased the value of the fund and theoretically had a small stabilizing influence on TSLA's share price (via buying low and selling high, on average). Cathy has made no secret that the nature of ARK funds is to invest in the kind of stocks that get hit harder than the broader market in a downturn. I disagree that anything Cathy has done has harmed Tesla or TSLA in any way. There is zero evidence of that, and I fail to understand the venom that is regularly dished out w/ regard to Cathy and ARK or why it's constantly posted here. Maybe some of you bought during the speculative fever.

According to this tweet it’s because of storm:

It doesn’t look stormy weather to me tough.

I doubt the cars on these ships would have been able to be delivered this year even without shipping delays. Unless Tesla organises delivery at the harbour, which is not impossible
Even 1m waves make things very difficult. Forces of nature are humongous. 100% on delivery event at pier, just as the olden days, a delivery party with owner-volunteers!

I agree, particular with regards to newer lower end models as you suggested. They could almost sneak 2 models in under the Model Y LR. The Model Y AWD they already sort of released, and a Model Y RWD with slightly lower range. It is a bit fraught for them to discount existing models though. Taking a months long model vacation like they did with the Model 3 should work though.

Most of the legacy automakers are going to need financing to get their next leg of EV production going. That is going to be quite painful over the next couple of years. Particularly since GM and Ford are already so debt laden.
Exactly! S40, s60, I lockable to 75, model s for 69420, TSLA has done it before, and these are proven levers.

Update on the Zeebrugge situation:

The Hoegh Trove is in port as of this morning. The Trove has a (probably) full load of S and X.

The Hoegh Shanghai is still anchored outside of port and but has already made a stop at Le Havre, so no full load.

There are some rumours off pick up at the harbour for Belgium customers. With still a week until years end let’s hope for the best.

This is my third post these today. Sorry for those that find it annoying.

But for those that don’t think it’s annoying. This should be some pretty amazing evidence of the profitability to large scale battery storage. Today you could have bought from 12am-6am for $0.03 a kWh. Sold it for $3 a kWh from 6-9am. Again bout it for <$0.10 from 9am to 4pm and the. Sold it for $1.50 for 3 hours.

This is a severe winter storm so obviously not a every day deal but making 1000% profit in a day on a commodity seems like good business. Does tesla HAVE to sell these mega packs? With all the FCF tesla has can’t they just own them themselves.

Edit: tesla owning its own mega packs across the world seems like a much better use of money than stock buybacks imo.

DBC7E832-DADE-46C3-B080-4567F12F7C1E.png

Last edited:
This is my third post these today. Sorry for those that find it annoying.

But for those that don’t think it’s annoying. This should be some pretty amazing evidence of the profitability to large scale battery storage. Today you could have bought from 12am-6am for $0.03 a kWh. Sold it for $3 a kWh from 6-9am. Again bout it for <$0.10 from 9am to 4pm and the. Sold it for $1.50 for 3 hours.

This is a severe winter storm so obviously not a every day deal but making 1000% profit in a day on a commodity seems like good business. Does tesla HAVE to sell these mega packs? With all the FCF tesla has can’t they just own them themselves.

View attachment 888523
There are 2 odvious ways that Tesla can participate in using batteries to time-shift energy.

1. Using a VPP to aggregate a number of customer batteries including home Powerwalls. Tesla takes some share of the profits.

2. Installing batteries a Supercharger sites and factories for multiple reasons, then selling some of the electricity from those batteries, or charging the batteries, when good opportunities arise.

Tesla deploying batteries at some sites can complement solar deployments.

Selling the batteries often means Tesla can also sell additional software and services.

The aim should be to ramp up energy storage battery production to meet 3 needs.
1. Existing and new customer orders for Megapacks.
2. Installations at customer sites to support deliveries of Semis.
3. Tesla's internal use at factories and Superchargers.

I think that Lathrop probably covers 1, but a new factory might be needed for 2 and 3.
However, Tesla also needs teams to install the batteries, no point in building additional supply if no one can install the batteries.

Last edited:
False narratives endlessly repeated about stupid things like the end of Tesla demand, Elon margin calls, a crazed absentee CEO, and other amplified FUD that's endlessly repeated. Tesla has always been under attack, but the attacks lost their effectiveness when Tesla and TSLA were killing it, that caused TSLA detractors to go into hibernation and wait for more productive times. They waited for an opportune moment (recession and re-pricing of all stocks) to re-ramp up their shameless FUD. The detractors are back with a vengeance, and people are being paid and incentivized to propagate it at high volume, repetitively. Elon has not changed, but the narrative that he's unhinged has multiplied and the volume has been turned to "11". This is only a problem if the fake narratives are re-enforced instead of being called out.

What's shocking to me is how many people here, with so much more information at their disposal, fell for such transparent BS, hook, line and sinker. Utterly inexcusable for people who should know better about how the financial and business worlds function. Buying into these artificially amplified narratives actually helps the narratives spread and multiply and be taken seriously by people who don't know nearly as much. Instead, they should be nipped in the bud with short, concise, direct rebuttals.
People who think Elon has not changed are in full self-delusion mode. He never used to do the things he's doing now on Twitter. I've followed him closely for years now, defending in various venues against misinterpretation of his various utterances. Now? Not so much. His political tweets are mostly lies, or amplifying the lies of despicable people (Nazi sympathizers, conspiracy theorists, climate change denialists, vaccination denialists, alt-right trolls, etc.). Many of the other things he says, outside of Tesla and SpaceX, are demeaning and insulting to people. He's become the crazy uncle you really wish would just STFU and go away.

Just what is wrong with him I don't know. Whether it's temporary or fixable I don't know. But what I do know, from reading and listening to Elon himself, is that he's gone from being a 100% hard-core tech nerd to being a part-time political jackass. To claim that "Elon has not changed" is to ignore the evidence staring you in the face.

He's still got all the same crowd attacking him and his companies, all the FUD is still out there, but now the war has opened up on a whole new front where most of his previous defenders have left the field of battle. In the "media" battle Elon is losing worse than ever, and will continue to do so if he doesn't regain his former level of sanity. Every time he posts another political lie he chips away at his credibility regarding anything he says about any of his endeavors(e.g. Tesla). It's own goal after own goal, while he self-righteously insists that own goals are completely within the rules.

Welp, seems like this is the winter every non-Tesla owner will find out how difficult it is to charge on all the broken chargers. Apparently 100% of the new EA chargers doesn't work in the cold, and the rest of the charging infrastructure now with all these new EVs on the road ends up being a mess. Many will be stranded and will regret not getting a Tesla as most of these cars have poor winter performance when it comes to range. So if they arrive at a charging station with 10% charge and nothing works, they are pretty much screwed as there's not enough range to get to another one.

Welp, seems like this is the winter every non-Tesla owner will find out how difficult it is to charge on all the broken chargers. Apparently 100% of the new EA chargers doesn't work in the cold, and the rest of the charging infrastructure now with all these new EVs on the road ends up being a mess. Many will be stranded and will regret not getting a Tesla as most of these cars have poor winter performance when it comes to range. So if they arrive at a charging station with 10% charge and nothing works, they are pretty much screwed as there's not enough range to get to another one.
I’d like to be proven wrong since my product depends on EA’s network not sucking golf balls through a crazy straw.

But I just don’t see EA getting their stuff together even looking 5 years ahead. It’s a freakin’ disaster out there — Between borrowing demo cars and testing the Lectron CCS on our MX the EA network is in abjectly piss poor shape.

People who think Elon has not changed are in full self-delusion mode. He never used to do the things he's doing now on Twitter. I've followed him closely for years now, defending in various venues against misinterpretation of his various utterances. Now? Not so much. His political tweets are mostly lies, or amplifying the lies of despicable people (Nazi sympathizers, conspiracy theorists, climate change denialists, vaccination denialists, alt-right trolls, etc.). Many of the other things he says, outside of Tesla and SpaceX, are demeaning and insulting to people. He's become the crazy uncle you really wish would just STFU and go away.

Just what is wrong with him I don't know. Whether it's temporary or fixable I don't know. But what I do know, from reading and listening to Elon himself, is that he's gone from being a 100% hard-core tech nerd to being a part-time political jackass. To claim that "Elon has not changed" is to ignore the evidence staring you in the face.

He's still got all the same crowd attacking him and his companies, all the FUD is still out there, but now the war has opened up on a whole new front where most of his previous defenders have left the field of battle. In the "media" battle Elon is losing worse than ever, and will continue to do so if he doesn't regain his former level of sanity. Every time he posts another political lie he chips away at his credibility regarding anything he says about any of his endeavors(e.g. Tesla). It's own goal after own goal, while he self-righteously insists that own goals are completely within the rules.

The war was already opened and it is whole new front but might not as you think:

1. Main Stream Media as Tesla didn't advertise with them
2. ALL Legacy automaker as disruption with EV to force them focusing more to EV even though losing money with every car they made
3. Oil Companies as EV (Especially Tesla Semi) will drives away the reliance with gasoline/diesel
4. Electrical/Power Companies soon as megapack slowly replacing Peaker plant - See this:
5. Major Auto Unions as Tesla workers does not joined Union, and with AI/Tesla Bot emerging this issues will only gets worst
6. Everyone that have dirt held in "Twitter file", especially those that is not release from Twitter yet (Not something I want to see but it is what it is)

All of the above byproduct is what you seeing right now in Mainstream media. They have virtually unlimited resources from their backer to smear Tesla/Elon.

Enjoy the ride

How many will blame “electric cars” in general? How many more articles will we see talking about how “electric cars” are still not ready for prime time?

They will generalize even though it doesn’t apply to tesla.

just to put things in perspective Tesla still has 10X the market cap of Ford and GM at this time, even after the stock has been tanking on a daily basis. the market cap is around 400B!!! GM and F are around 40B. this means Tesla stock can drop another 85% and still be a larger company. Also if you look at P/E ratio its at 38, while F and GM are single digits. point being Tesla stock is still incredibly overvalued vs. its automaker peers. now the question becomes will the super charger network really make that much of a difference? seems like the other automakers are figuring out ways to make the supercharger network obsolete anyway with larger batteries and faster charging options.
Bye.