Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this tweet it’s because of storm:

It doesn’t look stormy weather to me tough.

I doubt the cars on these ships would have been able to be delivered this year even without shipping delays. Unless Tesla organises delivery at the harbour, which is not impossible
According to vesselfinder the Hoegh Trove is now docked in Zeebrugge. The Hoegh Shanghai is still just outside Zeebrugge waiting to enter the harbour (just like dozens of other ships).

How many will blame “electric cars” in general? How many more articles will we see talking about how “electric cars” are still not ready for prime time?

They will generalize even though it doesn’t apply to tesla.
I think it's more for ppl who didn't go Tesla and didn't put much value in the SUC. A rude awakening and then ephiphany is in store for some I take it from this.

Lost yet another notch....and no longer in the top 10
View attachment 887946
Not sure these posts are appreciated, but they are reality. Slipped another notch today, now behind Tencent. If we drop much at all next week we'll likely drop another notch behind TSMC which is nipping at our heals. Hope we reverse course instead.
Companies ranked by Market Cap - 3.png

WUWA update:

“On Christmas Eve, Tesla was shipped to Shanghai Port. From the 25th, Tesla's Shanghai factory will stop production. According to earlier information, production will stop until January 1. At this time, more than half of the people in the Shanghai factory had been infected with Omicron. If they could not buy it, most of the employees had to stay at home and have a fever. It is hoped that in the new year, the epidemic will pass quickly and everything will return to normal. Merry Christmas to everyone! Happy New Year!”

============

It’s telling Elon has not once mentioned the C word in relation to China staff and logistics, when it’s the predominant subject at present in china. Says a lot. To everyone else it’s obvious what is happening in China is a very temporary situation for obvious reasons, but Elon would apparently prefer that the situation is not acknowledged and investors are left wondering instead.

For context for everyone who hasn’t kept up woth the news in China:

Nearly 37 million people in China may have been infected with Covid-19 on a single day this week, according to estimates from the government's top health authority, making the country's outbreak by far the world's largest.

As many as 248 million people, or nearly 18% of the population, likely contracted the virus in the first 20 days of December, according to minutes from an internal meeting of China's National Health Commission held on Wednesday, confirmed with people involved in the discussions. “

Last edited:
I am normally a pretty rational thinker as well as would like to see other EV makers succeed. Lately, however, i cannot help but think this is a combined effort of MM's, Shortzies, outside influencers (Figured the time is right to attack Elon).
Macro and everything else does suck but does it really suck that bad that $TSLA should be down >60%?
So it is a worldwide conspiracy?

WUWA update:

“On Christmas Eve, Tesla was shipped to Shanghai Port. From the 25th, Tesla's Shanghai factory will stop production. According to earlier information, production will stop until January 1. At this time, more than half of the people in the Shanghai factory had been infected with Omicron. If they could not buy it, most of the employees had to stay at home and have a fever. It is hoped that in the new year, the epidemic will pass quickly and everything will return to normal. Merry Christmas to everyone! Happy New Year!”

============

It’s telling Elon has not once mentioned the C word in relation to China staff and logistics, when it’s the predominant subject at present in china. Says a lot. To everyone else it’s obvious what is happening in China is a very temporary situation for obvious reasons, but Elon would apparently prefer that the situation is not acknowledged and investors are left wondering instead.

For context for everyone who hasn’t kept up woth the news in China:

Nearly 37 million people in China may have been infected with Covid-19 on a single day this week, according to estimates from the government's top health authority, making the country's outbreak by far the world's largest.

As many as 248 million people, or nearly 18% of the population, likely contracted the virus in the first 20 days of December, according to minutes from an internal meeting of China's National Health Commission held on Wednesday, confirmed with people involved in the discussions. “
This is expected and the only way to handle the covid situation. Give it 14 days and Giga Shanghai is up and running again.

People who think Elon has not changed are in full self-delusion mode. He never used to do the things he's doing now on Twitter. I've followed him closely for years now, defending in various venues against misinterpretation of his various utterances. Now? Not so much. His political tweets are mostly lies, or amplifying the lies of despicable people (Nazi sympathizers, conspiracy theorists, climate change denialists, vaccination denialists, alt-right trolls, etc.). Many of the other things he says, outside of Tesla and SpaceX, are demeaning and insulting to people. He's become the crazy uncle you really wish would just STFU and go away.

Just what is wrong with him I don't know. Whether it's temporary or fixable I don't know. But what I do know, from reading and listening to Elon himself, is that he's gone from being a 100% hard-core tech nerd to being a part-time political jackass. To claim that "Elon has not changed" is to ignore the evidence staring you in the face.

He's still got all the same crowd attacking him and his companies, all the FUD is still out there, but now the war has opened up on a whole new front where most of his previous defenders have left the field of battle. In the "media" battle Elon is losing worse than ever, and will continue to do so if he doesn't regain his former level of sanity. Every time he posts another political lie he chips away at his credibility regarding anything he says about any of his endeavors(e.g. Tesla). It's own goal after own goal, while he self-righteously insists that own goals are completely within the rules.
Very well said.

Personally I think he has always been at the rabid alt-right end of the spectrum, however he sort-of kept it vaguely under control for several years in the post PayPal era. Maybe he got distracted by breeding for a decade. The early political awfulness has returned with a vengeance. Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad is a well known tragic characteristic in humanity (see Sophocles, Antigone).

I flat-out refuse to believe any of his statements unless I can independently confirm them. Which means anything forward-looking such as promises not to sell shares are about as valuable as toilet paper in a flooded monsoon ditch during the rainy season.

We have to hope that these days the Tesla management team is strong enough and coherent enough to be able to take the good stuff out of Musk whilst deflecting the bad stuff. Certainly I see no public evidence that the BoD has this ability, though perhaps they are able to filter some stuff. Quite clearly the TSLA share price will have to accept a rabid maniac risk premium for quite a long time. That is a perfectly reasonable stance by the market in my opinion as it is difficult to see a pathway whereby Musk could be exited from Tesla whilst still keeping all the good stuff intact. Hope is not a good strategy. This is a real shame, as it is unecessary and does not advance the mission.

Elon was asked about the economic situation and effect on Tesla and Spacex. His reply:
- keep your powers dry; don’t do margins
- best guess is recovery in Q2 2024
- back in 2000, even a profitable company such as Broadcom can have its stock drop by 97%, he was told.

this question and answer segment starts at 1:18

Later, at 1:38, it was pointed out, again, that with Elon the speed by decisions are made are much more important than to be certain that the decisions are right, in general, for new Twitter features. This applies to businesses as they scale. When companies bring in professional managers, their incentive is not to make mistakes, this makes them hard to make decisions quickly.

Elon also said in a meeting in Twitter that if they are not rolling back at least 10% of the released features, they are not moving fast enough.

YouTube link to this All In Podcast

Attachments

• FFEEADD5-DE0D-463F-ABF7-8ACB7FE55A5F.jpeg
    FFEEADD5-DE0D-463F-ABF7-8ACB7FE55A5F.jpeg
    647.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Elon doesn't comment on topics that could be touchy for the Chinese government is very much a sign of his maturity and self control, this is a good thing for investors.

NY Times through Yahoo - this afternoon:

Jeep Plant Shutdown Imperils Illinois Town and 1,350 Workers

Excerpt:

“Our industry has been adversely affected by a multitude of factors like the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the global microchip shortage, but the most impactful challenge is the increasing cost related to the electrification of the automotive market,” Stellantis said in a statement.

Kristin Dziczek, a policy adviser at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago who focuses on the auto industry, said Stellantis was encountering a challenge other automakers will face as they ramp up production of EVs and sales of conventional models decline.
Clearly, the future is hydrogen! I've done extensive research and found that hydrogen is considered the best, most efficient fuel for the future of mobility.

Nearly every scientist and engineer agree, it is the lightest substance ever! And, it is in water! WOW, let's go! /s

Reuters: Stellantis in talks to buy 'substantial' stake in hydrogen mobility company Symbio.

"Chief Executive Carlos Tavares said Symbio's technical roadmap "perfectly" matched with Stellantis hydrogen roll-out plans in Europe and in the U.S"

Clearly, the future is hydrogen! I've done extensive research and found that hydrogen is considered the best, most efficient fuel for the future of mobility.

Nearly every scientist and engineer agree, it is the lightest substance ever! And, it is in water! WOW, let's go! /s

Reuters: Stellantis in talks to buy 'substantial' stake in hydrogen mobility company Symbio.

"Chief Executive Carlos Tavares said Symbio's technical roadmap "perfectly" matched with Stellantis hydrogen roll-out plans in Europe and in the U.S"
God help the poor French and Italian taxpayers that will have to prop them up

Welp, seems like this is the winter every non-Tesla owner will find out how difficult it is to charge on all the broken chargers. Apparently 100% of the new EA chargers doesn't work in the cold, and the rest of the charging infrastructure now with all these new EVs on the road ends up being a mess. Many will be stranded and will regret not getting a Tesla as most of these cars have poor winter performance when it comes to range. So if they arrive at a charging station with 10% charge and nothing works, they are pretty much screwed as there's not enough range to get to another one.
Maybe that's all part of legacy auto's plan - VW paid for these, right? So ensure they're garbage and spread the perception that EV caging is a nightmare to slow the adoption rate

Of course we all know how reliable and easy Tesla Supercharging is, but obviously it rarely gets mentioned by the MSM, because legacy auto are paying for the narrative

Elon doesn't comment on topics that could be touchy for the Chinese government is very much a sign of his maturity and self control, this is a good thing for investors.
It is actually a terrible sign. It means he is very willing to censor himself and he doesn’t give an F about shareholders so says whatever crap he wants to and makes no effort here in the USA. It is the worst of both worlds. Proof he could restrain himself and doesn’t.

To add some more data to those trying to work out the potential for tesla energy re:battery storage. This is an area I know well, and am on the cusp of orderinga relatively small 500kwh stationary battery to make money from energy arbitrage.
Take a look at this chart for energy production in GWH in the UK over the last month:

1671886798767.png

What matters here is the blue, which is wind energy. We in the UK have a LOT of wind power, but its SUPER variable. On some days we have a crazy amount, on other days, it can drop to almost zero. Wider deployment will calm this a bit, but me are mostly building *more* in the same coastline, so the total deployed size will rise, but there will still be huge variability.
Right now we cannot go gas-free (purple) on ANY days, but that time is coming fast, as wind deployment is going bananas here. That means we are going to be very soon in the position where it would make sense so be able to time-shift 10-20 GWH production levels by a whole day.
Thats a LOT of megapacks (say 24 hours at just 10GW surplus, so 240 GWH simply for the UK, just to time shift by a single day.

Now scale that up to most of Europe.