Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dip today is completely nonsensical. Shorts and other FUDsters hammering away. Dana Hull spent the weekend Tweeting about SpaceX layoffs - she really seems to dislike Elon (one has to wonder if there are financial reasons motivating her dislike). Furthermore, you have stories about other manufacturers coming out with EVs down the road and building new plants for EVs (like the VW announcement). Thing is, we have been hearing these stories for years, and hearing about the Tesla killers coming into the market. But, these cars never seem to appear (when manufacturers do come out with EVs, they never seem to live up to the pre-production hype). I am sure the competitors will get it somewhat right at some point. However, where will Tesla be with its vehicles when this competition comes? In my view, Tesla will continue to be well ahead of the competition. Also, what the media seems to not be focusing on (surprise, surprise) is what all this chatter is showing (among other things) is: (i) EVs are here to stay and are the future and (ii) Tesla ALREADY has mass market vehicles in this desirable space, and has a string of proposed vehicles that will blow away the competition.
The "threat" of more electric competition should not be seen as a risk to Tesla. It is a validation. That proposed VW plant won't be stealing sales from Tesla, it will be stealing ICE sales. If anything the investment into EVs by legacy makers should boost TSLA shares. It's not like VW will magically have better/more profitable EVs than Tesla. Best case for them is reasonable parity.

edit, no idea how I misspelled "VW" twice in the same post in two different ways.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was posted already, but check out bloomberg tracker projection - Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

What's your point?

It's wrong, it's too low. It will stay like that until the delivery report at the beginning of April and then suddenly will show 7000 per week with a note that once again they were "on the nail with their predictions"

I think it's now worthless, I don't think there's any point trying to guess production numbers. They'll just increase remorselessly

The "threat" of more electric competition should not be seen as a risk to Tesla. It is a validation. That proposed VA plant won't be stealing sales from Tesla, it will be stealing ICE sales. If anything the investment into EVs by legacy makers should boost TSLA shares. It's not like VG will magically have better/more profitable EVs than Tesla. Best case for them is reasonable parity.
VA plant?

The "threat" of more electric competition should not be seen as a risk to Tesla. It is a validation. That proposed VA plant won't be stealing sales from Tesla, it will be stealing ICE sales. If anything the investment into EVs by legacy makers should boost TSLA shares. It's not like VG will magically have better/more profitable EVs than Tesla. Best case for them is reasonable parity.

I think the issue is more that, if the legacy members are seen as competitors to Tesla, then if they are perceived to be, for example, half as good, doesn't it therefore follow that Tesla's P/E should be twice theirs.

Model3 and ModelS are now truly differentiated as Tesla promised. The 75kWh battery option is now gone
https://www.tesla.com/models/design?#battery

Note that this likely isn't the refreshed website yet: it still says 100D/P100D, not "Performance" as promised by Elon:

This interim step IMO further increases the probability that they are introducing new Model S/X models: if the only intended change was to remove the 75D, they could have renamed 100D/P100D to "Long Range" and "Performance" today and communicate the change.

That they didn't and that they are staying mum suggests this is only an interim step before other changes.

(Speculation only, not advice.)

Last edited:
Without a heat pump, how would the vehicle's air conditioning system be able to provide air at temperatures below ambient?

Tesla uses a air conditioning system/pump, not a heat pump. (Only works one direction to provide cooling to the cabin/battery/motor/charger/etc. (It can't provide heat like a heat pump can.)

Without a heat pump, how would the vehicle's air conditioning system be able to provide air at temperatures below ambient?
At least here in the states, "heat pump" is usually used to refer to a device that can both cool as well as heat, versus just cool. If it just cools, it's just an air conditioner. Technically, both varieties are heat pumps, but that's not common usage here.

It would be nice if Tesla had heat pumps as they can potentially be more efficient than resistive heating but realistically you still need the resistive heaters for when the temperatures are too cold, beyond the working range of the heat pump system. LEAF and Prius both have heat pumps I believe.

Tesla is in a well defined trading range and is a much safer bet than those bubbles

i have to disagree with you regarding netflix, i think they have a pretty good moat just like tsla. IQ is very similar to Nio so you can built your thesis there. Tilray is a bubble IMHO but still very early stage so if you know when to get off its a very appealing investment for 2019.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
What's your point?

It's wrong, it's too low. It will stay like that until the delivery report at the beginning of April and then suddenly will show 7000 per week with a note that once again they were "on the nail with their predictions"

I think it's now worthless, I don't think there's any point trying to guess production numbers. They'll just increase remorselessly

Or maybe they'll increase relentlessly. I suppose if you're short, it's the same thing :)

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba
It would be nice if Tesla had heat pumps as they can potentially be more efficient than resistive heating but realistically you still need the resistive heaters for when the temperatures are too cold, beyond the working range of the heat pump system.

Note that the bad low temperature (below freezing point) behavior of heat pumps is not an inherent property of heat pumps, but that of the commonly used refrigerant gas R-134a (formerly HFC).

If a different refrigerant gas is used then no resistive heater is required.

Ironically the best such refrigerant gas I'm aware of is ... CO₂ in hypercritical state. :D

There's even a commercial product with a CO₂ heat pump: a German company making high-end geothermal heat pumps. (The advantage of CO₂ in a geothermal solution is that it replaces the separate glycol loop as well.)

Anyway, AFAIK the solution is patented by that German company, which limited the more widespread use of CO₂ refrigerant in heat pumps.