Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the Kleenex effect. Tesla is dominating BEV sales to the point where people say Tesla instead of BEV.
It's not. It's the Tesla effect. It doesn't matter what story, you mention Tesla you get the haters and the stans all in one. That is good for clicks and ratings, no matter the medium. Tesla has been so good for business for mainstream media, they just cannot stop doing it.

Last edited:
It's not. It's the Tesla effect. It doesn't matter what story, you mention Tesla you get the fans and the stans all in one. That is good for clicks and ratings, no matter the medium. Tesla has been so good for business for mainstream media, they just cannot stop doing it.
And don't forget Elon. He is all over the news cycle. US News have became tabloid trash trying to follow ELon's every move.

Claims it's over 100 stalls now all operational but Tesla Find Us still says 80 stalls.

I think this is the proper thread for that location (Coalinga = Harris ranch?). But no one has posted the new PICs yet. I can post there if someone wants to confirm I have the right thread.

Man, I hope that place has PowerPacks for storage... and LOTS of em...

Assuming V3, that's 250KW x 100 = 25 megawatts peak usage....

Isn’t this sueable?
What ever happened to crack litigation team that would be out for blood?

They might be collecting wide-ranging evidence so they can connect all the dots and bring comprehensive lawsuits alleging conspiracy, that are meaningful instead of trying to silence individual agents or bad actors one at a time sequentially. For the same reasons that law enforcement agents collect evidence for months or even years and then swoop in with a sting operation so they can arrest the entire criminal organization and related organizations simultaneously without tipping them off that they are cracking down until it's too late.

Well. I can dream, can't I?

Nope. Each V3 cabinet, that powers 4 stalls, maxes out at ~360kW. So, assuming no battery storage the whole site would only be a max of ~9 MW. (Sometimes there is less power available than the cabinets could handle.)
Hmm... that seems at odds with Tesla's description of them:

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale products supports peak rates of up to 250kW per car. At this rate, a Model 3 Long Range operating at peak efficiency can recover up to 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes and charge at rates of up to 1,000 miles per hour. Combined with other improvements we’re announcing today, V3 Supercharging will ultimately cut the amount of time customers spend charging by an average of 50%, as modeled on our fleet data.

Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you. With these significant technical improvements, we anticipate the typical charging time at a V3 Supercharger will drop to around 15 minutes.

Did that get revised?

On Edit, I found this: "Tesla makes V3 superchargers at Giga New York .Tesla first opened V3 stations in 2019, and they can provide up to 15 miles per minute (depending on circumstances). A 1 MW charge box supplies 4 stalls at up to 250 kW each, and can have a 575 kW battery storage. However the grid input is limited to around 350 kW."

So, it's really a combo of what we both said,... grid input is lesser because of local battery storage (likely a powerpack, perhaps in specific implementation). but allows for full power to each stall, hence the peak load can be 25 megawatts...

Last edited:
Doug DeMuro has a video out stating used Tesla prices have dropped faster than other makes. He makes the statement based on data he is seeing from the vehicle auction website he owns (Cars and Bids). The reasons are:
  • Macro - affecting all vehicles but Tesla more as a higher % of Tesla purchasers are tech/finance related and they have been disproportionately hit with layoffs or interest rate rises
  • Orderbook reduction - people don't need to either pay up for used or wait 7 months for new anymore
  • Elon - alienating core fans
  • Competition - tesla models have an aging design and competitors catching up in many areas
Strangely he left out increases in production which is the biggest driver in reduced used prices IMO.

He said that even he is getting interested in picking up an older Model 3 Performance if they get down to ~$25k used given the performance/value tradeoff, and he's never shown an interest in owning one before.

Hmm... that seems at odds with Tesla's description of them:

Did that get revised?
No. They can also accept ~575kW from other V3 cabinets, or battery storage, via a HV DC bus, but they are limited to ~360kW per cabinet sourced from AC.

In practice nobody notices because the whole site isn't filled with empty vehicles at the same time so power can get moved around to where it is needed.

No. They can also accept ~575kW from other V3 cabinets, or battery storage, via a HV DC bus, but they are limited to ~360kW per cabinet sourced from AC.

In practice nobody notices because the whole site isn't filled with empty vehicles at the same time so power can get moved around to where it is needed.
Hehe... yeah just edited my post, as the description I found talks about battery storage, which is what I was assuming a site like that must have....

Doug DeMuro has a video out stating used Tesla prices have dropped faster than other makes. He makes the statement based on data he is seeing from the vehicle auction website he owns (Cars and Bids). The reasons are:
  • Macro - affecting all vehicles but Tesla more as a higher % of Tesla purchasers are tech/finance related and they have been disproportionately hit with layoffs or interest rate rises
  • Orderbook reduction - people don't need to either pay up for used or wait 7 months for new anymore
  • Competition - tesla models have an aging design and competitors catching up in many areas
Strangely he left out increases in production which is the biggest driver in reduced used prices IMO.

He said that even he is getting interested in picking up an older Model 3 Performance if they get down to ~$25k used given the performance/value tradeoff, and he's never shown an interest in owning one before.

Tesla value increased the most during the oil/chip shortage hysteria, and dropped the most when oil crisis was solved. Doesn't need many reasons. The competition or whatever are foot notes given the volume they push.

They might be collecting wide-ranging evidence so they can connect all the dots and bring comprehensive lawsuits alleging conspiracy, that are meaningful instead of trying to silence individual agents or bad actors one at a time sequentially. For the same reasons that law enforcement agents collect evidence for months or even years and then swoop in with a sting operation so they can arrest the entire criminal organization and related organizations simultaneously without tipping them off that they are cracking down until it's too late.

Well. I can dream, can't I?
I would like to see some Whistle blowers(some nice compensation for this) inside of the MSM and Short cartels. FBI takes years sometimes to get evidence for convictions. RICO is a dream also.

Anyone see the problem here? The same guy that thinks advertising will make Tesla a stronger brand, is the guy who's going to judge the winner of the contest. It makes no sense.
'OK, I'll give it a go. Ross, this one's intended to win your contest, not necessarily strengthen the brand:

"Are you ready to join the electric revolution? At Tesla, we know you want to be the first one in your town to drive the latest technology on the road. That's why we've created the ultimate car for you! With a body that shines like a diamond and power that will make you feel like a superhero, you'll be the talk of the town. But don't just take our word for it, come test drive a Tesla and see for yourself. With our unique car, you'll be able to leave your old gas-guzzler in the dust and show off to all your friends! Upgrade now and be the envy of your neighborhood."

See that Ross? I told them a Tesla "shines like a diamond". That can't help but to make people think Tesla's are really great because it came from such a trustworthy source, namely, straight from Tesla! We are not trying to reach people who already don't trust Tesla so it's OK that potential customers will see through the advertising scam.

Wait! What's that? You want more fact based advertising to strengthen the brand? OK, why didn't you say so?

""Tesla is the number one leader in electric cars in America. Our electric vehicles offer unparalleled performance, with instant torque and acceleration that will leave most gas-powered cars in the dust. Plus, with a range of over 400 miles on a single charge, you'll never have to worry about stopping for gas again. And with over 20,000 Superchargers worldwide, charging on long trips is a breeze. Our cars also feature advanced safety technology, including automatic emergency braking and lane departure warning, for added peace of mind. Plus, our vehicles are built with sustainable materials and are designed to have a minimal environmental impact. Experience the future of driving with a Tesla today."

Once Tesla advertises, they can never undo it. For that reason, advertising should not happen until Tesla needs to expand the group of people they need to reach to keep selling increasing production. By my reasoning, that should not happen before the EV adoption curve is at least past the mid-point, half of all sales being EV's. So, between the early-majority adopters and the late-majority adopters. We have a few years to go to get there.

Simply by dropping the prices, as they did recently, Tesla will automatically reach a whole new set of potential customers by exposing new people to their products. And they do that without damaging the brand or making their customers pay for their own brainwashing.

Last edited:

Surely the high retained value (compared to other brands) of used Teslas last year must be a factor as well? In July 2021, we sold our 2019 SR+ for $500 dollars less than we paid for it(excluding any rebates). That's a 3 year old car with 45k kms on it with only $500 in depreciation. I didn't check at the time, but I don't think other manufacturers used vehicles were holding anything like that value, even at "peak" used car prices.

It is not bad if you have over 250 miles range. Just did 1200 miles in our Ford lightning with standard range. It was slow but worked, no high speed in Hattiesburg ms and that sucked a bit so we had to detour slightly but up and down 81 and 40 there are plenty of high speed EA chargers at 150 or 350 if your vehicle handles it. Slightly cheaper than Superchargers from what I hear. MS and LA are sparse compared to VA TN AL

"It was slow, but worked" doesn't cut it. Of course, it's going to be slow in a Lightning with low efficiency and low maximum charging speed, and that is exactly why many people are currently reluctant to make the switch from gas to electric, charging takes too long, or so they've heard. The Ford Lightning is not going to change that perception, it's going to strengthen it.

My typical charging stop on Interstate trips is 15 minutes in my Performance Model 3 with Aero wheels, barely enough time to stretch out and take care of necessities. I target 10-15% SOC upon arrival.

What kind of Tesla did you have experience with before you bought the Ford Lightning?

At first, the headline looked like it was from The Onion. However, it might be cute to visit (in a Tesla) an old-timey looking petting zoo of rare gas cars in 2035. They'll have to scrap for parts like Cuba does for the classic castoffs. However, I can imagine Wyoming trying to ban BEVs at their border. Backward ho!
A few years ago a WY hospital paid me handsomely to work in their clinic. Now the negotiations would be interesting, how to get around my choice of transportation?