Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually surprised it's only 3000 employees for a facility that size! Says a lot for the degree of automation.

Yeah, that's only about $3/KWh for labor COGS (based on $100K/yr for each employee). Also, it sounds like the State of Nevada is providing a $12.5K/yr/employee incentive for the 1st 10 years, which would further reduce labor costs to about $2.65/KWh. Sounds good, if your goal is to make cells for an all-in cost of < $50/KWh.

I wonder what the target/max capacity of the current semi production line is...I think last I heard was a few per week current capability.

Last estimate I saw was the Semi pilot production line would be ~5/wk or ~250/yr, but that was published over a year ago (and Tesla always looks for ways to accelerate)

New Nevada Tesla Semi Production Line May Build 5 Trucks Per Week | InsideEVs.com (2021-12-11)

BTW, this article was written by Steven Loveday. He overstated this claim in the tagline:

"Eventually, higher volume Tesla Semi production will move to Giga Austin."​

So some bloggers jumped to conclusions, and were unduly confident in their claims. Paging @Mengy

Cheers!

Last edited:
On Marketwatch: "Opinion: Elon Musk shows in 'funding secured' trial that he does not live in the real world".
What?
Oh, Therese Poletti bashing Elon again.
Hasn't changed her tune.

Elon does not live in the real world. This is a true statement.

In the real world, people work 40hrs a week, buy houses and things they can't afford, and blame the system being rigged against their success and wealth.

In Elon's world, he works 120hrs a week, having more money than some country's gdp, and lives in a mobile home.

So yes, he does not live in a world that makes sense to most people.

Interesting comparison of percent change in stock prices for major auto OEM since 2013.

As TeslaLarry noted on Twitter, once Tesla is added to the mix, the other auto stocks flatlines.

04E15A09-D285-4862-A48A-C3DB4D2AB224.png

source tweet thread from Larry

Here are more parts of that long thread

99C20E48-95D8-4BB6-AD11-7B44014CBD03.jpeg

Last edited:

Elon says Gigafactory Nevada might do 500(!) GWh/year in the future.

From transcript 10:04
and then we're also going to be adding
100 gigawatt hours of uh 40 of Tesla
4680 cell manufacturing here and that's
just to start I think long term we may
do as much as five uh yes as much as 500
gigawatt hours long term
but this
increment is 100 gigawatt hours
and um
yeah so
hugely important uh game changer

Last edited:
Screenshot from the above video showing the layout of the new spaces. The 100GW 4680 cell manufacturing footprint is notably compact compared to the current space required for Panasonics 37GW output. The image below is from a 2020 Electrek article and shows the space Panasonic occupies. Interestingly the spaces labelled as cell and future manufacturing are pretty faithful to what's just been announced.

1674641602640.png

Tesla-Gigafactory-Nevada-final-version.jpg

Here's what Tesla Gigafactory Nevada is supposed to look like

The Chinese have a lot of problems trying to enter the US market. Tarrifs, IRA, brand, no service infrastructure, to name four huge ones.
A lot of these hurdles could be minimized by a partnership with an existing manufacturer with a presence in the US market looking for a fast ramp to EVs. Otherwise you have to build manufacturing, service and charging infrastructure which takes years to build and test (ie: Tesla Semi)

This is really all we need as Tesla investors. Ignore the fud, this is what counts.
The company will grow even faster and bigger than anyones guess right now. These expansions are massive and more to come.

Indeed. I think Giga Berlin will get a 2nd battery workshop of 100 GWh/yr to support Modell Zwei produktion, plus EuroSemi. By then, people won't even remember what a 'Fehlgriff' it was investing in Germany... :)

Prost!

Are you nuts? Elon is not in any way shape or form a WEF adherent. He is pro individual, pro business, and anti government control and anti too much government regulation.
My argument isn't about whether Elon is pro- or anti- anything. The original poster merely asked if the WEF's global future vision was too much at odds with Elon's/Tesla, and how that might affect Tesla as a business in the future. My response was that the products Tesla/SpaceX/Neuralink engineer and produce is the same kind of technology the WEF wants for their vision of the future, and that Tesla should do really well if that future is realized. I think we're well on our way to realizing that future, and that Tesla is in a monstrously strong position to capitalize on it.

Screenshot from the above video showing the layout of the new spaces. The 100GW 4680 cell manufacturing footprint is notably compact compared to the current space required for Panasonics 37GW output. The image below is from a 2020 Electrek article and shows the space Panasonic occupies. Interestingly the spaces labelled as cell and future manufacturing are pretty faithful to what's just been announced.

View attachment 899604

What a great picture to wake up to this morning!

Happy Earnings Day everyone!!! :D