Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would probably be wonderful for the housing market I would think. Everybody complains about Californians moving into their state - until they see their property values skyrocket. Then they just complain about Californians.
Funny, but there also is the problem of gentrification - local population can't afford their housing, food, services any more, either get pushed out or become poor. Not everybody is in a life stage with mobility so casualties will complain.

This expansion should go much faster than the Giga Texas build/Model Y ramp. The ground prep has already been completed, as have the utilities. (I think ground work took about a year at Giga Texas.)
I recall a similar optimism around Texas. Remember when people thought it was realistic that the Cybertruck production would start in late 2021?

You make a great point, but after watching many of Tesla’s big projects over the past couple years take 2-3x longer than expected, I’m a bit cautious about embracing aggressive timelines. (Yes, I know COVID)

As Musk said (roughly regarding SpaceX): “We specialize in turning the impossible into late.“

I constantly expect big things from Tesla… usually 6-18 months after promised. Or if it’s software, 6-10 years.

EDIT: Someone elsewhere suggested perhaps they meant they would exit 2024 with a run rate of 50k. That is a number I can get behind. Tesla’s Model Y run rate was around 150k exiting 2022.

Last edited:
MS dragging us down AH.
Will they have enough employees? Many times in the past there has been a labor shortage for both Tesla and Panasonic. According to this tweet and others talent may be a problem.

I wonder what the need for manual labor is for the 4680 lines vs 2170? It's not like Tesla isn't aware of the labor market there.

Maybe some internal relocations with fat bonuses are in store.

Last edited:
What are they going to do about it? Seems that Panasonic was unable or unwilling to expand when Tesla asked them to. Tesla has ALWAYS (until 3Q last year) been battery constrained, so if there is blame to go around, it can be pointed at Panasonic.

I agree completely. I just wish I had some popcorn and was a fly on the wall for that conversation between Panasonic and Tesla management. 😁

Reactions: Nocturnal
With this new $3.6B investment in Giga Nevada, it seems like Tesla is getting the same tax abatements of the original $3.5B investment:

Nevada GOED transferable tax credit.png

That's a slide from "State of Nevada - Incentive Programs" dated March 2022 (so seems like Tesla might be the only 2 projects approved for the $3.5B threshold so far) linked from Incentives - Nevada Governor's Office of Economic Development

Tesla has a Giga Nevada recruiting page that also includes benefits:
  • Personal Benefits: Full medical, dental and vision coverage; Competitive starting wage and 401(k) matching
  • Perks: Discounted accessories and upgrades, including free Full Self-Driving
  • Factory Conveniences: Cafeterias, food trucks and outdoor patios
Where at least the first item is probably to meet "qualified employee" requirements for the abatements:
To qualify for Standard Tax Abatements, a company needs to meet two out of three criteria:​
  • Average Wage (Statewide average wage) – must meet average wage
  • Capital Investment
  • Number of Primary Jobs created
    • Additionally, the company has to offer a medical insurance plan and pay at least 65% of the plan’s premium costs.

MSFT was looking good but now negative. *sigh*

Don’t know what was said on their call.

I’m not holding my breath for TSLA tomorrow.

MarketWatch - 6:56 pm EST:
Microsoft stock dives into the red after forecast misses, CFO warns about deceleration

Excerpt:

...Microsoft (MSFT) Chief Financial Officer Amy Hood said in a conference call Tuesday that "we are seeing customers exercise caution," which resulted in "moderating consumption growth in Azure and lower-than-expected growth in new business" in December. Hood then said that "we expect business trends that we saw at the end of December to continue into" the current quarter, and projected revenue will come in roughly $1 billion or more lower than Wall Street expected...

The only relevant data is electricity consumed vs amount of oil refined. I found this EPA paper from 2007 on refinery energy consumption that shows between 4-5% of energy input for refining as electricity. Charts on page 6 and 10

Seen. This is the figure I spotted, 4%:

10CDD185-E28E-4EB0-92BC-39A6FC028F35.jpeg

Please double check my math.

I searched for how many barrels of oil is produced by Texas in a year. The figure for 2021 is 1,700,000,000 (one billion and 700 million):

F633E51B-C35C-4C6A-9E69-66462A38E92A.png

Next, I Googled how much energy equivalent is in one barrel of oil, since the figure “4%” is what is stated as the electric portion of the total primary energy inputs for refining the product. The figure is one barrel of oil has the energy equivalent of 1,700 kWh:

6C0122B4-DD0A-4997-90EA-8B4C48AD0977.jpeg

4% of 1,700 kWh is 68 kWh, so 68 kWh of electricity goes into the refining of one barrel of oil.

I Googled how many US gallons of gasoline and diesel are produced from one barrel of oil. The total is about 32 gallons combined (not including other materials).

F6A7808B-1EAC-43C8-B71C-49B653B2829A.jpeg

So, I will say that @JRP3 is pretty accurate in his figures. I get about two kWh of electricity used in the refining of one US gallon of gasoline/diesel.

But…

Texas refines 5,100,000 (five million and 100 thousand) barrels of oil as day:

C30EF922-E967-42B5-9B8B-260CDDF73C96.jpeg

Since 68 kWh of electricity is spent refining one barrel of oil, then to refine 5,100,000 barrels requires (68 x 5,100,000) 346,800,000 kWh of electricity.

Since I’m as thick as a two x four, I have to show my work reducing all these zeros:

346,800,000 kWh equals 346,800 mWh equals 346.8 gWh.

Texas uses 346.8 gWh of electricity to refine oil. Per day.

346.8 gWh multiplied by 365 days equals 126,582 gWh of electricity to refine oil every year.

126,582 gWh equals 126.6 tWh.

Back to the chart that shows how much electricity Texas uses:

CA72319E-8DC3-4863-AB35-1A9687E418BE.png

Out of 435 tWh of electricity used by Texas, about 29% (126.6 tWh) is used to refine oil.

My brain hurts to the point I don’t want to figure how many TM3s could drive 20,000 miles with 126.6 tWh of electricity, but I figure its a huge number.

I say the intent of the eight year old YouTube video holds up and that, as Elon said, there would be plenty of electricity to power our EVs if we just stopped refining oil.

Attachments

• 5C50934B-7CED-4C1C-960C-CC9A1A6F8BF6.jpeg
    5C50934B-7CED-4C1C-960C-CC9A1A6F8BF6.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 56

From the Tesla blog post:

$3.6 Billion of New Investment
We will be investing over $3.6 billion more to continue growing Gigafactory Nevada, adding 3,000 new team members and two new factories: a 100 GWh 4680 cell factory (with capacity to produce enough batteries for 2 million light duty vehicles annually), as well as our first high-volume Semi factory.​

Which BTW includes this embedded link for recruiting: :D

completely ridiculous, they just stole 40% openai paying with... azure credits! Locked into their platform forever. Thats the heist of 2023, how is that not bullish.

MSFT stunk it up the last 3 quarters with low single digit yr/yr EPS growth and the current yr/yr EPS growth is -6%!!! Add to that, MSFT quants are horrible. I could see SP going even lower.

Thank you for all your great work!

Why do you think the Street (Bloomberg) has lower GAAP and non-GAAP earnings than you when you both have the same revenue and the Street has higher gross margins than you—yet you also don’t include FSD revenue?
When I last checked the street had much much higher estimated operating expenses, to the tune of $200M more than Q3 I think.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Seen. This is the figure I spotted, 4%:

View attachment 899460
Please double check my math.

I searched for how many barrels of oil is produced by Texas in a year. The figure for 2021 is 1,700,000,000 (one billion and 700 million):

View attachment 899461

Next, I Googled how much energy equivalent is in one barrel of oil, since the figure “4%” is what is stated as the electric portion of the total primary energy inputs for refining the product. The figure is one barrel of oil has the energy equivalent of 1,700 kWh:

View attachment 899462

4% of 1,700 kWh is 68 kWh, so 68 kWh of electricity goes into the refining of one barrel of oil.

I Googled how many US gallons of gasoline and diesel are produced from one barrel of oil. The total is about 32 gallons combined (not including other materials).

View attachment 899463

So, I will say that @JRP3 is pretty accurate in his figures. I get about two kWh of electricity used in the refining of one US gallon of gasoline/diesel.

But…

Texas refines 5,100,000 (five million and 100 thousand) barrels of oil as day:

View attachment 899475

Since 68 kWh of electricity is spent refining one barrel of oil, then to refine 5,100,000 barrels requires (68 x 5,100,000) 346,800,000 kWh of electricity.

Since I’m as thick as a two x four, I have to show my work reducing all these zeros:

346,800,000 kWh equals 346,800 mWh equals 346.8 gWh.

Texas uses 346.8 gWh of electricity to refine oil. Per day.

346.8 gWh multiplied by 365 days equals 126,582 gWh of electricity to refine oil every year.

126,582 gWh equals 126.6 tWh.

Back to the chart that shows how much electricity Texas uses:

View attachment 899479

Out of 435 tWh of electricity used by Texas, about 29% (126.6 tWh) is used to refine oil.

My brain hurts to the point I don’t want to figure how many TM3s could drive 20,000 miles with 126.6 tWh of electricity, but I figure its a huge number.

I say the intent of the eight year old YouTube video holds up and that, as Elon said, there would be plenty of electricity to power our EVs if we just stopped refining oil.
I applaud your number crunching, but I believe the actual grid electricity used to refine a gallon of gasoline is slightly under 1 kWh. On average, only about 15% of the energy used by US refineries is in the form of electricity from the grid. Averages must be used because some refineries are net exporters of electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
This seems like a reasonable solution to apartment and condo charging, low cost low power smart receptacles, developed by former Tesla employees. Posting it here for people to use as a counter argument to "where will apartment dwellers charge?"

Orange you glad this company is making it easier to get EV charging in your building