Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to have conflated the first generation RAV4 BEV (produced entirely by Toyota because Tesla didn't even exist in 1997) with the 2nd generation RAV4 BEV that had the Tesla powertrain (first available in 2012). Even the 1st Gen RAV4 could not have "yielded the wonderful Prius" because they both had first production in the same year, 1997, although the Prius didn't come to the U.S. until 2001 which is still before Tesla even existed.

The concept of the Mirai (which is about as far from wonderful as you can get) could have come from skepticism of the Tesla-powered RAV4 BEV since it came out after that but you are completely wrong about the Prius history. The Prius was wonderful (for its time) and its success more than anything from Lexus is far more likely to have driven Akio's love of hybrids.
I was trying to be brief, so ignored the very first RAV4 although I should not have,
Otherwise i agree entirely with your comments, except that the Mirai was stupid for sure, but it was a technological success. As with several other Toyota models over the years, they can produce pretty good new technologies whether they make sense or not.

The only genuine Toyota innovation that had market success was the Prius. Even the official version of that history shows how initially odd the process was:

From the 2000GT, taken from a non-Toyota concept that also produced the Datsun 240Z, to the Prius nearly all Toyota emphasis was on production efficiency and quality control. The two examples of 2000GT and Prius have been the primary departures from those emphases.

We'll see if the current regime can actually pull off another major transition.
Some continuing upheaval is definitely coming.

Overall the point is that some traditional OEM successes will happen. It is doubtful that they'll hamper Tesla, probably the contrary as the entire BEV market continues to conquer ICE.
To the extent they try really hard, TSLA stands to grow even faster than it does already.

Just read an article from Yahoo!Finance titled "Electric vehicles more expensive to fuel than gas-powered cars at end of 2022: consulting firm". The "study" concludes it was a few cents cheaper to fuel ICEV than EV last quarter due to the high prices of electricity while gasoline prices have declined... The study must use biased cost/consumption numbers that don't match common sense numbers that are readily available. Likely paid for by big oil. The FUD never stops.

I looked up that AEG report. It claims that it costs something like $11.60 per 100 miles for EVs charged at home vs. $11.20 for ICE cars. The report, however, does not describe any methodology, referring instead to another report for all the details. That other report, however, cannot be found anywhere.

As far as basic fact checking the numbers do not add up.

The average residential electricity cost in the US is $0.23/kWh. If I use Tesla Model 3 numbers of $220Wh/mile, the total cost of 100 miles will be $5.06. Tesla Model Y is 260Wh/mile and the cost of 100 miles is $5.98. Other cars in that category are in the same ballpark.

Of course, I could use the efficiency number for Hummer EV of 747Wh/mile. That is the least efficient EV among all EVs. That would result in even worse numbers that they mention, but I don't think that car is sold with an energy cost savings claim and it would have to be compared with an ICE Hummer which would definitely lose in any fuel efficiency contest.

The ICE 100-mile cost claim is also dubious. The average MPG of all cars sold today is 24.2miles/gallon. The average cost of 1 gallon of gas is $3.51 as of 1/28/23. The cost of 100 miles under these assumptions is $14.46, nearly 3 times higher than for an EV.

Just read an article from Yahoo!Finance titled "Electric vehicles more expensive to fuel than gas-powered cars at end of 2022: consulting firm". The "study" concludes it was a few cents cheaper to fuel ICEV than EV last quarter. The study uses biased numbers that don't match common sense numbers that are readily available. Likely paid for by big oil. The FUD never stops.

I looked up that AEG report. It claims that it costs something like $11.60 per 100 miles for EVs charged at home vs. $11.20 for ICE cars. The report, however, does not describe any methodology, referring instead to another report for all the details. That other report, however, cannot be found anywhere.

The average residential electricity cost in the US is $0.23/kWh. If I use Tesla Model 3 numbers of $220Wh/mile, the total cost of 100 miles will be $5.06. Tesla Model Y is 260Wh/mile and the cost of 100 miles is $5.98. Other cars in that category are in the same ballpark.

Of course, I could use the efficiency number for Hummer EV of 747Wh/mile. That is the least efficient EV among all EVs. That would result in even worse numbers that they mention, but I don't think that car is sold with an energy cost savings claim and it would have to be compared with an ICE Hummer which would definitely lose in any fuel efficiency contest.

The ICE 100-mile cost claim is also dubious. The average MPG of all cars sold today is 24.2miles/gallon. The average cost of 1 gallon of gas is $3.51 as of 1/28/23. The cost of 100 miles under these assumptions is $14.46, nearly 3 times higher than for an EV.

If you’re using a random chargepoint in the Rockies where the rate is $.55/kWh and it starts charging parking fees after 30 minutes it’s certainly possible to exceed the cost of gas.

But that’s a corner case.

Just read an article from Yahoo!Finance titled "Electric vehicles more expensive to fuel than gas-powered cars at end of 2022: consulting firm". The "study" concludes it was a few cents cheaper to fuel ICEV than EV last quarter due to the high prices of electricity while gasoline prices have declined... The study must use biased cost/consumption numbers that don't match common sense numbers that are readily available. Likely paid for by big oil. The FUD never stops.

AEG, the guy behind that "study", has a history of doing dishonest reports on the economics of EVs. He's undoubtedly being paid by Detroit, the oil industry, or both.

If you’re using a random chargepoint in the Rockies where the rate is $.55/kWh and it starts charging parking fees after 30 minutes it’s certainly possible to exceed the cost of gas.

But that’s a corner case.
Actually my electricity from 4pm to 9pm costs $0.62/kWh at home. But, unlike the "study", I would never charge during those punitive hours.

Actually my electricity from 4pm to 9pm costs over $0.60/kWh at home. But, unlike the "study", I would never charge during those punitive hours.
Yikes! Guess we can’t complain about $.13/kWh!

It’s a pretty unfair comparison, I’d probably use EA’s Pass rate of $.31/kWh to compare if anything.

In order to take advantage of the IRA credits, as well as to take control of their own future battery supply, Tesla needs to onshore production of LFP batteries which currently are a stronghold of China.
Agree. And now is the time to do it. The IRA credits and shipping cost benefits provide Tesla with the room to be less efficient during scaling without a monetary impact. They should totally do it now.

Reactions: Optimeer
Q1 is normally the slowest quarter for auto sales isn’t it? Tesla is getting set up for an amazing quarter aren’t they?
Are they? Shanghai has had quite a bit of down time in January. There will be some offset from other factories ramping but assuming they want to continue to flatten the wave I'd be surprised if Q1 blew the doors off in terms of sales.

• Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy

View attachment 900506

If anyone can explain the above statement to me like i am 5 years old, i would appreciate it :)
Toni's just saying that the constant refrain of TSLAQ, "fraud," is false - instead he acknowledges the number don't lie. There's still no explanation why he has an underperfom rating except that he might be stupid like Toyoda.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf

AEG has done this previously:

Too late to get into TSLA right now? Feel like I missed the boat with this run up. I need a few days for settled cash to be available and I'm a little worried that I will have really missed my opportunity by late next week.
The best time to get into Tesla was 20 days ago, the second best time is now.

Dirty Tesla compares 2 year old FSD Beta vs today's newest revision. Went from 10 disengagements + 8 interventions to 0 disengagements +0 interventions. People really have a hard time understanding incremental improvements. We complain after every release about how it didn't fix X, Y, and Z. However if you zoom out, the improvements are massive.

Last edited:
AEG has done this previously:

Imagine that...

Michigan-based economic consultancy firm Anderson Economic Group recently released a study, “Comparison: Real World Cost of Fueling EVs and ICE Vehicles” that attempts to make the case that EVs are substantially more expensive to fuel than ICE vehicles.