Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wipster saw it.

The BMW is plugged in on the wrong side so it effectively takes up 2 stalls on a normal Supercharger. The Rivian is wrong ended too. There are 4 corners and 4 sides to choose from. Tesla stalls work well with 2 of the corners and 2 of the sides... companies with cars on the driver's front, the passenger rear, or in the middle of the sides of the car just won't work well.
Oh, they will not sweat it, just parallel park and block 3 chargers at once, easy!

Just look at the data. Never mind any other brands, in aggregate Tesla chargers are lagging behind the Tesla fleet globally :

View attachment 907666
Thinking rationally, it seems to me logical that as the fleet expands more and more people will charge at their residence, place of work, shopping centers and elsewhere, so Supercharger use for Tesla use will gradually decline as a per unit concentration of alternatives continues to rise.

I abhor 'mother-in-law' research, aka anecdotal evidence. Despite that antipathy I note that in 2015 I used every Supercharger I could find. In 2018 I used Superchargers on trips. Post 2021 my Tesla has had Suprcharging only a handful of times; even on long trips the combination of increased range and more numerous level 2 free options has resulted in rare need for Supercharging. Logically I'm sure that similar usage is common today. As an aside, the demise of Free Supercharging has further encouraged seeking alternatives. FWIW, I have tried EA and Evgo a couple of times without finding a working stall. OTOH the Canadian and Southern Europe public chargers have worked well despite needed logins for each system. The US standards for the Federal program do require reliability, so the US will have been options quite soon, not least from Tesla itself.

As a long time TSLA shareholder, the future is finally coming to the US, as it has been in Canada and much of the EU for some time.

Payment via QR code, from one bank account to another, without an intermediate account already exists a long time in the Benelux. In Belgium it’s pretty much wide-spread (it’s called Payconiq). Apart from private-to-private person payments, it’s also used by businesses. In some cases as their only way of paying without cash (they can save the subscription fees for bank card terminals).
The Belgian/Dutch Payconiq is the prime candidate to be chosen by European Commission for Europe-wide use (see Belgisch Payconiq in poleposition voor Europees betaalsysteem), mostly to provide some competition to the US-based credit card companies.
I see no future in Europe for whatever payment mechanism Tesla or Elon comes up with.
FWIW, in Brasil we call it PIX. Ever since the Euro spawned IBAN many countries including all the Eurozone have had instantaneous free transfers. One the US among major world economies has no equivalent so consider such antiquated vehicles as credit cards. It is both embarrassing an appalling the the US cannot escape the 1913-era Federal Reserve clearing system or even the 1980-s era chip/pin system and hand held electronic payment processing. The ancient US still has signatures, so also has sky high fraud.

This would be OT except that the interoperability of charging systems cannot be efficient without modern technology, with QR codes the better choice, although bar codes are an acceptable second choice.

Threads of the day:
H/W 4.0 discussion (investors) Extra cameras, radar, not retrofittable, cores almost doubled, more accurate GPS
Project Highland (Investor impact etc.) Shanghai swapping over, new trim
Who will be the new TWTR CEO? Up to 10 months to go
Tesla Investor Day Discussion Less than 2 weeks to go

Thinking rationally, it seems to me logical that as the fleet expands more and more people will charge at their residence, place of work, shopping centers and elsewhere, so Supercharger use for Tesla use will gradually decline as a per unit concentration of alternatives continues to rise.

I abhor 'mother-in-law' research, aka anecdotal evidence. Despite that antipathy I note that in 2015 I used every Supercharger I could find. In 2018 I used Superchargers on trips. Post 2021 my Tesla has had Suprcharging only a handful of times; even on long trips the combination of increased range and more numerous level 2 free options has resulted in rare need for Supercharging. Logically I'm sure that similar usage is common today. As an aside, the demise of Free Supercharging has further encouraged seeking alternatives. FWIW, I have tried EA and Evgo a couple of times without finding a working stall. OTOH the Canadian and Southern Europe public chargers have worked well despite needed logins for each system. The US standards for the Federal program do require reliability, so the US will have been options quite soon, not least from Tesla itself.

As a long time TSLA shareholder, the future is finally coming to the US, as it has been in Canada and much of the EU for some time.
One signficant factor is that SuperCharging was a bargain in 2015 and only sligly more expensive than home charging. In 2019 it was more than home charging but still less than half the cost of gas. Now I find SuperCharging to be about 4X more than home charging and more than gasoline. So I only SuperCharge when I need to.

The white house announcement (see below) is good news on several fronts. It APPEARS Tesla MAY HAVE avoided the whole need to install credit card readers for payment as the article references the need for CCS plugs but has an "app" for payment. If true, that was undoubtedly part of the "discussion " Musk had while in Washington. In addition, the Destination chargers are an easy win given that even 3rd parties have offered adapters for those for years.
Finally, this is a huge step toward what I believe was always Tesla's goal - Energy. They never wanted to be the next GM, VW, Toyota. They wanted to be the next ExxonMobil.
Remember...he who controls the Spice, controls the universe!

Tesla opens charging network
It also suggests the opening will not be a huge problem for Tesla owners facing crowding at Superchargers — “3500 current or new stations by late 2024” for non-Tesla out of 17k current stations and possibly 35k by then, or ~10%-15%. Could be an issue in more concentrated places like CA?

Last edited:
A fund which is 30% TSLA and 10% SpaceX is more SpaceX exposure than I've been able to figure out any other way. Most of my money is in IRAs so I don't think I can buy private equities in my IRA aside from something like this. So long as the rest of the portfolio doesn't drag it down, it should be fine.

If Baron's doesn't sell their SpaceX, it should grow as a percentage of the portfolio unless the rest performs well... which wouldn't be horrible.

I’ve owned BPTIX for 2 years for the SpaceX exposure. Then it was 45% TSLA and 5% SpaceX, so I’m a little surprised to see the exposure drop to 31%. I suppose that is from buying other companies with inflows, as I don’t think Baron has sold any TSLA or SpaceX, but I don’t follow it closely.

Attachments

• 162C9FC7-3F75-4529-AE56-AB41312D5957.png
    162C9FC7-3F75-4529-AE56-AB41312D5957.png
    570.4 KB · Views: 62
Pre-market is trending down this morning on bad PPI numbers. I don't think the upward trend for TSLA will hold today, we'll likely sell down a bit with the rest of the market.
We've seen this before where everyone seems to agree we will see Tesla move in a certain direction, only for it to do the exact opposite. With this in mind I'll speculate that we will see upward movement today. I have 100% conviction one of us will be right.

We've seen this before where everyone seems to agree we will see Tesla move in a certain direction, only for it to do the exact opposite. With this in mind I'll speculate that we will see upward movement today. I have 100% conviction one of us will be right.
My brain is pretty good at pattern recognition, and I have never felt much correlation between pre-market and ordinary hours trading. I wish someone like @Yoona would do a statistical analysis or turn up some academic study.

Do any of you know if Tesla has disclosed the number of full paid FSD options for NA? I hope Tesla is developing a plan for these folks in consideration of the hardware being limited now. What I am worried is they offer better hardware on new cars while charging the same price as the old hardware. This would imply that the value is the same, but HW3 is now going to be discounted for future updates a perceived value. I would hope Tesla gives the option of refunding this if people wanted. I am now glad Tesla has not taken full value of this feature in the earnings so there isn't a huge chargeback if this comes to fruition. Hopefully once announced Tesla also announces that from X date forward all cars have the hardware like HW3 did.

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty
I abhor 'mother-in-law' research, aka anecdotal evidence. Despite that antipathy I note that in 2015 I used every Supercharger I could find. In 2018 I used Superchargers on trips. Post 2021 my Tesla has had Suprcharging only a handful of times; even on long trips the combination of increased range and more numerous level 2 free options has resulted in rare need for Supercharging.
FWIW, in 2013 & 14 there were no superchargers so I used RV Parks and B&Bs. When SCs became available I used them plus free charging when available. The last trips (with free sleeping) I park where there isn't any charging, so it's all SCs. The entire time I charged at home except on trips. The increased range has been eaten up by increased speed (75-85 mph speed limits), so the number of SC stops on a trip hasn't varied.

Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester said in a speech Thursday morning she would have favored raising interest rates by 0.50% earlier this month, saying the Fed still has more work to do to bring down inflation.

"The FOMC has come an appreciable way in bringing policy from a very accommodative stance to a restrictive one, but I believe we have more work to do,"