Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best predictor of future performance is past performance.

Enough 2022 data has become available to do some meaningful crunching. I've not completely finished that yet, and there are some minor inconsistencies that I either haven't scrubbed out or don't yet have good data to scrub out. (So please don't fuss about any minor data inconsistencies). The data sources are the same public domain ones as I have used in the past, for previous annual summaries that I have put out at this point in the year. Already there is some interesting stuff emerging.

Crucially this raises two interesting questions on the cell supply front, which I would appreciate the views of those who have dug further into that:

- Q1. Can the cell suppliers (and their mineral suppliers) continue to meet the total annual increases that the historical evidence suggests will continue to be met ?
- Q2. Can Tesla continue to capture at least a 20% market share of that cell supply for vehicle use ?

Let us be clear, Tesla is doing very well in growing the business. But also, and we must recognise this, so too are the aggregate of all the other auto makers and their corresponding supply chain partners.

In my analysis I only classify 'pluggable' electric vehicles as EVs, i.e. EV = BEV + PHEV. The fuel cell vehicles (FCEV) and the non-pluggable hybrids I just lump in with internal combustion (ICE) as they are rounding errors. First of all we can see that the overall vehicle market has substantially stabilised but not necessarily recovered. Dino-juice (ICE) vehicle production is now falling and there is a growing wedge of EV production making up the market. The pluggable hybrid segment (PHEV) is still growing but its growth is definitely decellerating and it is clearly going to be a dead-end for the mass-market PHEV fairly soon.

View attachment 908943

Looking more closely at the EV market here is the overall market situation at the end of 2022 with the corresponding market shares in tabular form. It is important both to understand the vehicle shares, and the cell supply shares. You can see in the battery/vehicle that all vehicles are trending towards a greater cell capacity, no surprise there. At this rate of cell/vehicle growth in another three years non-Tesla BEV will be at 60kWh vehicle pack sizes:

View attachment 908924

Or if you prefer graphical form this is the market share situation :

View attachment 908926

Tesla's share of the EV market peaked in 2019 at 17% by vehicle volume, and also in 2019 Tesla's share of EV battery supply peaked at approx 35-32%, and on both metrics Tesla's share has been sliding since, now (2022) being at 12% and 22% respectively. So one needs to recognise that Tesla has done an outstanding job of growing profitably, but also to recognise that in aggregate the other auto makers (and their supply chain partners) have grown their EV offerings even faster than Tesla since then, albeit the likelihood is that they have struggled do do so profitably in EVs.

This is relevant because the long-run dataset is now providing a good match for S-curve adoption models in a way that there was not sufficient data to meaningfully predict before. And the result is dramatic, with it being game-over by 2030 if the current adoption trajectory is sustained.

View attachment 908942

This S-curve (grey) is a three parameter logistics curve that has been history-matched against actual data (green) from 2010-2022 using a computerised 'solver' to get the least-error fit.

Previously it did not seem to me that there was sufficient data to get a reliable result, plus there was the added confusion of the Covid pandemic. But now that there is stabilisation observable - and significantly - the Covid pandemic has not been too disruptive for EV growth, then a sufficient match seems to be emerging. And it is going faster than was expected as the incumbent ICE manufacturers are trying; and as the new-entrant ICE and EV players are very competitively forcing the transition (the switch of BYD to a full-EV manufacturer is very important). Plus of course Tesla.

As a generalisation such a growth model is a good prediction tool provided that a new constraint does not impose itself on the scene, and the constraint that I think we need to be aware of is in relation to cell supply growth, and everything necessary to achieve that in terms of raw materials etc. So let us look more closely at that. I've circled two cells in red for 2024, but first observe that the overall growth rate is tending to trend down. The 345 GWh vehicular ccell capacity production adds for 2023 appear realistic given the achieved 208GWh production add for 2022, and note that there must be excess production add available - we know this because the stationary storage market is also growing.

(This tends to suggest that whilst Covid has had a discerbable effect of EV adoption, it has not been the cause of a 'catch-up' of excess capacity in 2022. My suspicion is that all manufacturers prioritised keeping EV lines going during Covid, and preferentially idled ICE lines whenever supply chain disruptions became unamanageable. That there was some impact from Covid is also discernable when one looks at the actual vs history match error term, but it is surprising how small it is. Overall I don't think the history match is being fooled by Covid artefacts.)

But the crunch year overall is 2024 where 756GWh of additional vehicle cell capacity is needed. If the 2024 growth rate of 92% can be managed then everything after that is easy. And the reason why it is so large is that this forecast now assumes a strong return to the previous size of vehicle market that had been over 90-million per year, specifically to 92m/yr in 2024, and so this flows down to the cell demand. And because in the past the cell manufacturers did meet the demand, then the question becomes will they do so again ? Especially noting that excess cell capacity, primarily LFP, is flowing into the stationary market. After all the best predictor of future performance is past performance.

View attachment 908944

The alternatives are:
- vehicle buyers will switch from BEV to ICE at the margin, and the 92m demand will persist but be met by dino-juice; or
- vehicle buyers wil postpone vehicle purchases until BEVs become available, and the market will become capped at approx 80m/yr for several years; or
- the average cell/vehicle trend will flatten through the supply crunch, with a mixture of small-pack BEV and small-pack PHEV competing against big-pack Teslas so keeping the >90m/yr vehicle count but failing on the cell-supply (bad news for wannabe US-pick-up-truck drivers migrating from ICE to BEV); or
- cell suppliers (and their mineral supply chains) will meet the challenge.

For the time being I tend to discard the option that vehicle productivity/utilisation metrics will increase, i.e. I am being pessimistic regarding the likelihood that autonomous vehicle technology will be significant in this time period. Opinions may differ on this.

Hence my posing the first question :
- Q1. Can the cell suppliers (and their mineral suppliers) continue to meet the total annual increases that the historical evidence suggests will continue to be met ?

Turning to the effect for Tesla the quick take is that if this S-curve does play out, then the maximum (best) outcome for Tesla is to achieve its own stated target of 20 million vehicles per year by 2030. There is unlikely to be significant market growth of EVs after 2030, perhaps even decrease if autonomous driving eventuates. So for Tesla to grow after 2030 would require Tesla to gain market share from other EV manufacturers at that point, which is a zero-sum game. However we then need to return to this table and note that on EV vehicles Tesla is down to 12% market share, therefore Tesla will have to recapture EV market share in order to obtain a approx 19-20% market share by 2030 that is implicit in the stated target of 20m/yr. To pre-emptively counter the valid response that the BEV market share is what matters, one really needs to look at the core underlying constraint which is the cell supply. Here the Tesla cell position is 22% at end of 2022, so still on track.

View attachment 908924
But equally one can see that the Tesla cell position has been declining from its peak, and has been declining at a rate of 2-4% per year. This is because the other manufacturers have been outperforming Tesla in sourcing cells (even if they have made some bad decisions, such as going for pouch). Nevertheless as a minimum Tesla will need to arrest that decline in the cell supply fraction and hold it above 20% for a decade if it is to achieve its 20m vehicles/year target. The reason why Tesla has to capture a >20% cell supply fraction in order to meet its vehicle ramp targets is because Tesla puts larger packs in its vehicles, so Tesla has to try harder.

At the level of a Tesla shareholder this does tend to focus the share price analysis down to 'only' the 2030 time horizon. And if one is as cautious as I am regarding the financial performance of the Tesla energy side of the business (and I'm no bear)*, then the vehicle side's performance over the next 7-years is critical. If the decay in Tesla's relative position continues then if the vehicle parameter stabilises at 12% of EV, then the Tesla vehicle quantity will be 'only' 10.5 million/yr in 2030, and even this would represent a turnaround in the rate and direction of the ongoing decline in the cell % share. Staying above a 20% cell fraction is crucial for Tesla shareholders !

Hence my posing the second question :
- Q2. Can Tesla continue to capture at least a 20% market share of that cell supply for vehicle use ?

These are absolutely dramatic rates of change we are witnessing, utterly transformative in a global sense for all humanity. At this point of course minor changes in trends might *sugar* things by a few years, or by a few tens of millions, but nonetheless the sheer scale and speed of what is going on is amazing. I've been working towards this for 30-years of my professional career in the wider energy sector, so it is very gratifying to see it coming to fruition. I am also a Tesla shareholder.

It is in that context that I pose the two questions I do.

* As an aside, by looking at the vehicle cell production add, one can see that global stationary storage uptake will really accelerate after 2025/2026. Until then the vehicle market will be the dominant cell growth driver.
Excellent analysis and insight, Little Boat, merci!

Two comments which may affect the projection:
  1. If / when Tesla introduces a smaller or urban vehicle / robotaxi, that vehicle may require less energy density / batteries than its current fleet. In other words, I don't think we need to assume that the average kWh / car needs to stay the same for Tesla. It could make more cars with less battery / vehicle than it does today (other materials don't have the same constraint), alleviating part of the scaling limitation. (Of course, this idea assumes CyberTruck stays niche! 🙃)
  2. If the industry grows faster than the MSM suggest, and, as you predict, we get over to 90% PH/EV by 2030 (vs. US target of 50%?), then Tesla is as likely as other manufacturers to grow faster than current expectations. In other words, if demand stays that strong, perhaps Tesla reaches 20 m sooner than 2030. Again, no reason to assume Tesla will grow at its current forecasted rate but others will grow faster to meet demand than Tesla can.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Excellent analysis and insight, Little Boat, merci!

Two comments which may affect the projection:
  1. If / when Tesla introduces a smaller or urban vehicle / robotaxi, that vehicle may require less energy density / batteries than its current fleet. In other words, I don't think we need to assume that the average kWh / car needs to stay the ame for Tesla. It could make more cars with less battery / vehicle than it does today (other materials don't have the same constraint).
  2. If the industry grows faster than many predict, and, as you predict, we get over 90% by 2030 (vs. regulatory targets of 50%), then Tesla is as likely as other manufacturers to grow faster. IN other words, perhaps Tesla reaches 20 m sooner than 2030. Again, no reason to assume Tesla will grow at its current forecasted rate but others will grow faster than Tesla).
Thoughts?
Merci.

1. A valid point. However the problem for Tesla is that Cybertruck deliveries are likely to shift average pack size upwards. I have a detailed spreadsheet forecasting the effect of all the likely Tesla models that I foresee (including many smaller ones) and overall my forecast oscillate down to 75 kWh and up to 100 kWh as the model blend varies in the years. So it seems surprisingly constant and certainly doesn't go aggressively small. Overall I think Tesla will do whatever is 'right' rather than fixating on a somewhat artificial target.

2. The reality may either run ahead or behind the forecast I have suggested. However the historical reality is that Tesla's relative shares are in decline. Therefore if the relative shares continue to decline then Tesla will never make the 20m/yr forecast irrespective of whether the future reality runs ahead or behind. It seems to me that for us shareholders it is votal that Tesla turns around the trend in the cell % share decline, ideally to become growth, but as a minimum no lower than 20%

@petit_bateau ; mirroring what was mentioned above, a smaller, cheaper Tesla model being released soon i.e. 1-2 years(???) seems likely. If this smaller cheaper model uses a 50-60kWh battery pack, it could drastically reduce average pack size/car.

Ah, I see the issue of Tesla semi and Cybertruck having the opposite effect.....

My new town gets its electricity from a huge array of solar panels built on what had been ranchland. Elsewhere, an activist group is creating problems.

NPR - 8:41 pm EST:
An activist group is spreading misinformation to stop solar projects in rural America

I surprised/amused myself just now. When I read your term "activist", I immediately pictured well-meaning but potentially short-sighted environmental do-gooders. The actuality is apparently the exact opposite.
These "activists" appear to be the fossil fuel lobby, or at least the rump of it that brought us the Iraq invasion and occupation.

From the article:

Citizens for Responsible Solar was founded in an exurb of Washington, D.C., by a longtime political operative named Susan Ralston who worked in the White House under President George W. Bush and still has deep ties to power players in conservative politics.
And when Ralston was launching the group, a consulting firm she owns got hundreds of thousands of dollars from the foundation of a leading GOP donor who is also a major investor in fossil fuel companies.
and, as is typical of well funded FUD, they are making it harder to get projects that change the status quo approved:

A 2022 report by the Sabin Center at Columbia University found 121 local policies around the country that are aimed at blocking or restricting renewable energy development, a nearly 18% increase from the year before.

Here's hoping the significant better value of solar + battery (in most US latitudes) eventually crushes this sort of dino-juice rearguard effort.

Enough 2022 data has become available to do some meaningful crunching. I've not completely finished that yet, and there are some minor inconsistencies that I either haven't scrubbed out or don't yet have good data to scrub out. (So please don't fuss about any minor data inconsistencies). The data sources are the same public domain ones as I have used in the past, for previous annual summaries that I have put out at this point in the year. Already there is some interesting stuff emerging.

Crucially this raises two interesting questions on the cell supply front, which I would appreciate the views of those who have dug further into that:

Let us be clear, Tesla is doing very well in growing the business. But also, and we must recognise this, so too are the aggregate of all the other auto makers and their corresponding supply chain partners.

In my analysis I only classify 'pluggable' electric vehicles as EVs, i.e. EV = BEV + PHEV. The fuel cell vehicles (FCEV) and the non-pluggable hybrids I just lump in with internal combustion (ICE) as they are rounding errors. First of all we can see that the overall vehicle market has substantially stabilised but not necessarily recovered. Dino-juice (ICE) vehicle production is now falling and there is a growing wedge of EV production making up the market. The pluggable hybrid segment (PHEV) is still growing but its growth is definitely decellerating and it is clearly going to be a dead-end for the mass-market PHEV fairly soon.

View attachment 908943

Looking more closely at the EV market here is the overall market situation at the end of 2022 with the corresponding market shares in tabular form. It is important both to understand the vehicle shares, and the cell supply shares. You can see in the battery/vehicle that all vehicles are trending towards a greater cell capacity, no surprise there. At this rate of cell/vehicle growth in another three years non-Tesla BEV will be at 60kWh vehicle pack sizes:

View attachment 908924

View attachment 908926

Tesla's share of the EV market peaked in 2019 at 17% by vehicle volume, and also in 2019 Tesla's share of EV battery supply peaked at approx 35-32%, and on both metrics Tesla's share has been sliding since, now (2022) being at 12% and 22% respectively. So one needs to recognise that Tesla has done an outstanding job of growing profitably, but also to recognise that in aggregate the other auto makers (and their supply chain partners) have grown their EV offerings even faster than Tesla since then, albeit the likelihood is that they have struggled do do so profitably in EVs.

This is relevant because the long-run dataset is now providing a good match for S-curve adoption models in a way that there was not sufficient data to meaningfully predict before. And the result is dramatic, with it being game-over by 2030 if the current adoption trajectory is sustained.

View attachment 908942

This S-curve (grey) is a three parameter logistics curve that has been history-matched against actual data (green) from 2010-2022 using a computerised 'solver' to get the least-error fit.

Previously it did not seem to me that there was sufficient data to get a reliable result, plus there was the added confusion of the Covid pandemic. But now that there is stabilisation observable - and significantly - the Covid pandemic has not been too disruptive for EV growth, then a sufficient match seems to be emerging. And it is going faster than was expected as the incumbent ICE manufacturers are trying; and as the new-entrant ICE and EV players are very competitively forcing the transition (the switch of BYD to a full-EV manufacturer is very important). Plus of course Tesla.

As a generalisation such a growth model is a good prediction tool provided that a new constraint does not impose itself on the scene, and the constraint that I think we need to be aware of is in relation to cell supply growth, and everything necessary to achieve that in terms of raw materials etc. So let us look more closely at that. I've circled two cells in red for 2024, but first observe that the overall growth rate is tending to trend down. The 345 GWh vehicular ccell capacity production adds for 2023 appear realistic given the achieved 208GWh production add for 2022, and note that there must be excess production add available - we know this because the stationary storage market is also growing.

(This tends to suggest that whilst Covid has had a discerbable effect of EV adoption, it has not been the cause of a 'catch-up' of excess capacity in 2022. My suspicion is that all manufacturers prioritised keeping EV lines going during Covid, and preferentially idled ICE lines whenever supply chain disruptions became unamanageable. That there was some impact from Covid is also discernable when one looks at the actual vs history match error term, but it is surprising how small it is. Overall I don't think the history match is being fooled by Covid artefacts.)

But the crunch year overall is 2024 where 756GWh of additional vehicle cell capacity is needed. If the 2024 growth rate of 92% can be managed then everything after that is easy. And the reason why it is so large is that this forecast now assumes a strong return to the previous size of vehicle market that had been over 90-million per year, specifically to 92m/yr in 2024, and so this flows down to the cell demand. And because in the past the cell manufacturers did meet the demand, then the question becomes will they do so again ? Especially noting that excess cell capacity, primarily LFP, is flowing into the stationary market. After all the best predictor of future performance is past performance.

View attachment 908944

The alternatives are:
- vehicle buyers will switch from BEV to ICE at the margin, and the 92m demand will persist but be met by dino-juice; or
- vehicle buyers wil postpone vehicle purchases until BEVs become available, and the market will become capped at approx 80m/yr for several years; or
- the average cell/vehicle trend will flatten through the supply crunch, with a mixture of small-pack BEV and small-pack PHEV competing against big-pack Teslas so keeping the >90m/yr vehicle count but failing on the cell-supply (bad news for wannabe US-pick-up-truck drivers migrating from ICE to BEV); or

For the time being I tend to discard the option that vehicle productivity/utilisation metrics will increase, i.e. I am being pessimistic regarding the likelihood that autonomous vehicle technology will be significant in this time period. Opinions may differ on this.

Turning to the effect for Tesla the quick take is that if this S-curve does play out, then the maximum (best) outcome for Tesla is to achieve its own stated target of 20 million vehicles per year by 2030. There is unlikely to be significant market growth of EVs after 2030, perhaps even decrease if autonomous driving eventuates. So for Tesla to grow after 2030 would require Tesla to gain market share from other EV manufacturers at that point, which is a zero-sum game. However we then need to return to this table and note that on EV vehicles Tesla is down to 12% market share, therefore Tesla will have to recapture EV market share in order to obtain a approx 19-20% market share by 2030 that is implicit in the stated target of 20m/yr. To pre-emptively counter the valid response that the BEV market share is what matters, one really needs to look at the core underlying constraint which is the cell supply. Here the Tesla cell position is 22% at end of 2022, so still on track.

View attachment 908924
But equally one can see that the Tesla cell position has been declining from its peak, and has been declining at a rate of 2-4% per year. This is because the other manufacturers have been outperforming Tesla in sourcing cells (even if they have made some bad decisions, such as going for pouch). Nevertheless as a minimum Tesla will need to arrest that decline in the cell supply fraction and hold it above 20% for a decade if it is to achieve its 20m vehicles/year target. The reason why Tesla has to capture a >20% cell supply fraction in order to meet its vehicle ramp targets is because Tesla puts larger packs in its vehicles, so Tesla has to try harder.

At the level of a Tesla shareholder this does tend to focus the share price analysis down to 'only' the 2030 time horizon. And if one is as cautious as I am regarding the financial performance of the Tesla energy side of the business (and I'm no bear)*, then the vehicle side's performance over the next 7-years is critical. If the decay in Tesla's relative position continues then if the vehicle parameter stabilises at 12% of EV, then the Tesla vehicle quantity will be 'only' 10.5 million/yr in 2030, and even this would represent a turnaround in the rate and direction of the ongoing decline in the cell % share. Staying above a 20% cell fraction is crucial for Tesla shareholders !

These are absolutely dramatic rates of change we are witnessing, utterly transformative in a global sense for all humanity. At this point of course minor changes in trends might *sugar* things by a few years, or by a few tens of millions, but nonetheless the sheer scale and speed of what is going on is amazing. I've been working towards this for 30-years of my professional career in the wider energy sector, so it is very gratifying to see it coming to fruition. I am also a Tesla shareholder.

* As an aside, by looking at the vehicle cell production add, one can see that global stationary storage uptake will really accelerate after 2025/2026. Until then the vehicle market will be the dominant cell growth driver.

Elon does seem to be all too aware of the need for batteries...and lots of them. Heck, I think he indicated on one of the calls that Tesla performance would eventually be evaluated based not on vehicle deliveries but on battery tonnage (so to speak) delivered. We've also heard rumors that the upcoming Investor Day will focus heavily on batteries. I don't expect the mainstream financial media will appreciate that in any way, shape or form, but clearly the battery supply is crucial.

Nice job on the details here and the questions (which Tesla may already have answers for and just needs to execute against).

View attachment 908943

View attachment 908924

View attachment 908926

View attachment 908942

View attachment 908944

The alternatives are:

View attachment 908924

I feel people put too much one any single vector and say how it's imperative for Tesla's shareholder.

A road to 20M cars is not what is important to Tesla shareholders at all. Stop looking at vehicle growth as the end all for justification for Tesla's valuation. The key metric is REVENUE growth. There are many ways for Tesla to hit 50% yoy revenue growth as Tesla's revenue starts transitioning from car hardware to other pieces of hardware and software.

Another thing to model I believe is misleading when using global marketshare projection is that Tesla is that we can expect Tesla will lose more market share in China than in EU, and will outperform wildly in NA consider the F up from legacy auto and the charging infrastructure. China will have trouble penetrating EU and especially the US.

I believe there's currently an EV war going on in China that's not sustainable for all companies. There are many EV companies going under in China right now as we speak, and those shares that Tesla lost will go toward somewhere. Eventually there will be like 3-4 victors in a sea of graveyard companies in the hundreds.

Lastly I believe Tesla's projection for 20M cars from a demand standpoint either requires FSD to work, or hot-wheel printing cars and selling them for 20k or less and still makes a 20% margin. Good thing they are working on both. Considering they are already monetizing FSD, it's not very hard to see revenue growth outpacing hardware growth, still maintaining 50% revenue growth yoy.

Last edited:
I surprised/amused myself just now. When I read your term "activist", I immediately pictured well-meaning but potentially short-sighted environmental do-gooders. The actuality is apparently the exact opposite.
These "activists" appear to be the fossil fuel lobby, or at least the rump of it that brought us the Iraq invasion and occupation.

From the article:

and, as is typical of well funded FUD, they are making it harder to get projects that change the status quo approved:

Here's hoping the significant better value of solar + battery (in most US latitudes) eventually crushes this sort of dino-juice rearguard effort.
I’m hoping too, but there needs to be a coordinated organized effort to counter the FUD group that calls themselves "Citizens for Responsable Solar”. I personally had a small commercial solar effort not get off the ground on land I own, and two other landowners got screwed out of using their own land for solar within 30 miles of my land.

And that’s fine. In the long run the multiplier may not be 1.5x but it should be higher than 1x and depending on specific daily movements may even go near 2x.
Or even lose money - even if TSLA goes up. As they say in their description.

If you are not waiting out wash sale timeout, there is no benefit in buying TSLL compared to LEAPs.

Reactions: FireMedic
That is how the boombox while driving recall was, Tesla argued that they followed all the rules for a while but NHTSA pestered them enough that they voluntarily did a recall on it. (I just got all communication between the 2 from NHTSA yesterday because i forgot it was a ‘voluntary recall’!)I only heard negative stories on that and boombox while driving actually may be better than the quiet noise maker that is used, I feel that NHTSA is targeting Tesla a bit. J doing it at opportune times financially for ‘us’ (short term/immediately anyhow)
The boombox recall push really grinds my gears! I used that feature in hillclimb races!
It’s time for Tesla to get noisy about these BS pushes for news headlines not reflective of reality
I know this will get a lot of downvotes, but I'm glad they did away with Boombox while driving. The last thing we need, especially in cities, is any more unnecessary noise from vehicles. We already have plenty of kids blasting rap from sound systems with more power than their engines, and "riced out" exhaust systems. We don't need Tesla associated with that "ghetto" look.

Does anyone have stats on such crashes by other vehicle owners ?

I hope all OEMs someday can at least stop such obvious collisions.
This breaks out various types such as ambulances and fire trucks.

I believe there's currently an EV war going on in China that's not sustainable for all companies. There are many EV companies going under in China right now as we speak, and those shares that Tesla lost will go toward somewhere. Eventually there will be like 3-4 victors in a sea of graveyard companies in the hundreds.
September 2021
China has “too many” electric vehicle (EV) makers and the government will encourage consolidation, Industry and Information Technology Minister Xiao Yaqing said on Monday.

I feel people put too much one any single vector and say how it's imperative for Tesla's shareholder.

A road to 20M cars is not what is important to Tesla shareholders at all. Stop looking at vehicle growth as the end all for justification for Tesla's valuation. The key metric is REVENUE growth. There are many ways for Tesla to hit 50% yoy revenue growth as Tesla's revenue starts transitioning from car hardware to other pieces of hardware and software.

Another thing to model I believe is misleading when using global marketshare projection is that Tesla is that we can expect Tesla will lose more market share in China than in EU, and will outperform wildly in NA consider the F up from legacy auto and the charging infrastructure. China will have trouble penetrating EU and especially the US.

Lastly I believe Tesla's projection for 20M cars from a demand standpoint either requires FSD to work, or hot-wheel printing cars and selling them for 20k or less and still makes a 20% margin. Good thing they are working on both. Considering they are already monetizing FSD, it's not very hard to see revenue growth outpacing hardware growth, still maintaining 50% revenue growth yoy.
Along these lines Elon has stated numerous times that people underestimate the underlying value of FSD. Not only will Tesla reduce the cost of building each vehicle over time, but when FSD is solved the value proposition changes.

Tesla could sell the vehicles close to cost and the competition will have a hard time matching this without selling under cost. Tesla will make up for the low profit margins with high margin software sales.

And this is just vehicles. Tesla will be a robotics and AI company. The revenue and profits generated are going to be astronomical.

This breaks out various types such as ambulances and fire trucks.
Another point of information several years ago I had an alignment for my model x and requested a loaner vehicle. I got a model X 75D, which was new at the time but without FSD. Nevertheless, the display and graphics were new for me since my car was from 2016. On the drive home it wire framed, a construction truck in the breakdown lane of a highway I was driving on , wire framed the door opening and wire framed a man leaving of the cab of the truck, this was several years ago.

I agree which is why I posed both those questions

If those questions can be answered then one can in turn take a better stab at modelling future revenue and profit growth and thereby deriving the EPS stream re vehicles. The answers also have considerable bearing on modelling the likely revenue stream from stationary storage. Hence my posing those two questions in case there are people herabouts who can share any additional useful insights.

( I fully agree on your other points as well. There will be losers. Countries and companies. )

.... So do you have any useful insights re those two questions ?

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D