Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This plays out in a thread on these forums regarding the absence of USS for parking assist. Some owners are enraged and claim they are literally unable to park their car now that they don't have park assist technology. As in, they can't even pull "in" to a parking space without hitting something.
As a no-USS Model Y owner that has been very active in the threads regarding no-USS owners awaiting the promised Tesla Vision update, I can tell you either have not read these threads properly or you are exaggerating in order to be funny.

The "enraged" owners are just terribly disappointed with Tesla's poor attitude in the switch to no-USS:
- first and foremost: to delete functions/parts without having an equivalent ready is disappointing in itself;
- even if there is a waiting period for the parking features to be restored, Tesla should communicate better to its customers;
- and those that cancel delivery due to not wanting to go through with a purchase of a no-USS model (after ordering BEFORE the Tesla Vision announcement) lose their $250 order fee. This in itself is "enraging" to some.

All in all, it's terrible PR for Tesla and the list of no-USS owners is growing exponentially.

Those like TesslaBear trying to derail the no-USS threads pointing out "Learn to drive/park, idiot!" are missing the point. A premium vehicle (+$50k) should have parking proximity features and it is a badge of shame for Tesla that they - the so called unbeatable technology leaders - do not provide their hundreds of thousands of new customers with parking features that a $20k vehicle has standard.

Will this kill the company? Absolutely not. I'm not being a Neroden over here.

Does it chip away at my trust in Tesla a little bit? Yes. Especially if it should turn out this feature never works reliably without USS sensors. Tesla will lose customers over this, should this happen.

The very least we should get an apology for the delay and a very strict timeline that says "parking features will be restored by [date] at the latest.".

Right now all we hear is Tesla talking, not walking the walk. And said threads are full of people having contacted Tesla service (including me, twice), but the replies of the Tesla Advisors show that we on TMC know more about Tesla AI developments than Tesla Advisors do.

So please don't find excuses for Tesla regarding the Tesla Vision fiasco, such as "people should learn to drive". We bought a premium car and want to minimize the risk of damaging it when parking. Especially forwards the visibility of the front is NIL and I can see how it's hard for some to park it in tiny garages. (Again, check those threads. People are hanging tennis balls in their garages, which works but it is quite sad that we should resort to these methods).

TL;DR: fix it Tesla. And soon. And properly.

In the Pt 2 Highway to Streets video, when he comes off the highway you can see the system jack the speed up to 80 before the driver rushes to manually scroll-wheel it down to a sensible number.
I thought when I watched it earlier that he manually dialled the speed *up* to 85. I've just been back to watch again and I still think that's what happened, the system remains set to max 85 throughout the exit as far as I can tell (although the video is bumpy and blurry)

Looking forward to some better quality footage anyway

I thought when I watched it earlier that he manually dialled the speed *up* to 85. I've just been back to watch again and I still think that's what happened, the system remains set to max 85 throughout the exit as far as I can tell (although the video is bumpy and blurry)

Looking forward to some better quality footage anyway
Good call the person scrolls it up to 85 when approaching the exit, and then it might just not come down. The set speed quickly changes to 80 at one point but I think that was just the first manual scroll down rather than it setting to 80, either that or it does set and the driver has the timing down pat.

The very least we should get an apology for the delay and a very strict timeline that says "parking features will be restored by [date] at the latest.".
Unless the feature has already been developed and tested, there is no way they could do that. You can't know how long it is going to take to complete any development project.

- and those that cancel delivery due to not wanting to go through with a purchase of a no-USS model (after ordering BEFORE the Tesla Vision announcement) lose their $250 order fee. This in itself is "enraging" to some.
I recall Tesla notifying people with orders placed prior to the announcement and giving them the option of cancelling their order and getting their order fee refunded. (Which I think is even covered in the order agreement.)

As a no-USS Model Y owner that has been very active in the threads regarding no-USS owners awaiting the promised Tesla Vision update, I can tell you either have not read these threads properly or you are exaggerating in order to be funny.

The "enraged" owners are just terribly disappointed with Tesla's poor attitude in the switch to no-USS:
- first and foremost: to delete functions/parts without having an equivalent ready is disappointing in itself;
- even if there is a waiting period for the parking features to be restored, Tesla should communicate better to its customers;

All in all, it's terrible PR for Tesla and the list of no-USS owners is growing exponentially.

Those like TesslaBear trying to derail the no-USS threads pointing out "Learn to drive/park, idiot!" are missing the point. A premium vehicle (+$50k) should have parking proximity features and it is a badge of shame for Tesla that they - the so called unbeatable technology leaders - do not provide their hundreds of thousands of new customers with parking features that a $20k vehicle has standard.

Does it chip away at my trust in Tesla a little bit? Yes. Especially if it should turn out this feature never works reliably without USS sensors. Tesla will lose customers over this, should this happen.

Right now all we hear is Tesla talking, not walking the walk. And said threads are full of people having contacted Tesla service (including me, twice), but the replies of the Tesla Advisors show that we on TMC know more about Tesla AI developments than Tesla Advisors do.

So please don't find excuses for Tesla regarding the Tesla Vision fiasco, such as "people should learn to drive". We bought a premium car and want to minimize the risk of damaging it when parking. Especially forwards the visibility of the front is NIL and I can see how it's hard for some to park it in tiny garages. (Again, check those threads. People are hanging tennis balls in their garages, which works but it is quite sad that we should resort to these methods).

I 100% agree that Tesla should have had whatever new technology they plan to use in place and functioning before they removed any driving assist feature. 100% agree.

However, I also 100% stand by saying that we should be capable of parking a car without park assist. If we have lost so much of our basic ability to drive and judge distance due to relying on technological aids, then yes, we need to reacquire our basic driving skills. There are folks in small crowded cities, especially in Europe, where park assist is a more essential feature when parallel parking into tiny parking spaces on a daily basis. For those folks, no park assist might be a deal breaker, but I think it was/is no secret that some of the newer cars don't have it.

I've driven my Model 3 2500 miles since December and have parked, backed into parking spaces, parking garages, and my small garage without issue. It's literally zero concern. If/when they add park assist, it will simply work as intended....a park *assist*. It is in no way remotely required for me to be able to safely drive my car. I also apply safe driving habits such as backing into parking spaces as everyone should most of the time. Pulling out is safer and is the recommended way to park. Best: pull through. Next best; back in so you can safely pull out.

And in conclusion, yes absolutely, Tesla should not have removed features without the replacement ready to go.

Reactions: MC3OZ and wipster
With the broader market tanking today, we're already testing 200 again. Sigh.
Patience Grasshopper - A brief consolidation around 200 to tighten the spring is a very, very good thing IMO. Soon, very soon. But taking off too soon before winding the TSLA spring tight enough to avoid bouncing off the 6 month upper resistance in the 240's would set TSLA up to trade into the wedge that closes at around 140 at the end of the year. Let's breathe deep and reload! The run into a larger resistance would best be facilitated on the heels of a Yuuge announcement and/or the run-up to Investor Day. And, as @Artful Dodger has pointed out, with Big Money having the chance to get out in front too, so they don't have to lean on their goons like Adam Jonas and Dan Ives late on a Thursday night to try to drop the share price the next day. TSLA will have a much better chance of pushing through the 6 month upper resistance at around 240 and then on to the fight at 300 if it isn't too far out in front of its own moving averages.

1atbcw.jpg

Today in the newsletter of one of the biggest brokers in The Netherlands, DeGiro:

DeGiro 2023-02-22.jpg

Translation of the Dutch text:
Tesla is leader in electric vehicles
Even though Tesla sells fewer vehicles than its biggest competitors, the company remains at the forefront of the industry. The profit margin is more than 5x that of Toyota and BYD. In the third quarter of 2022, the profit margin per vehicle was $9,574. Will Tesla remain number 1 this year?

LOL, apology?. 'Badge of shame'. Slogan much?

How did you ever drive and PARK that 1986 Opel Omega or Peguot 405. Try 2005 US Honda Odyssey.

Next, what the hell is 'USS'? I've checked and it shows 'US Ship'

Patience Grasshopper - A brief consolidation around 200 to tighten the spring is a very, very good thing IMO. Soon, very soon. But taking off too soon before winding the TSLA spring tight enough to avoid bouncing off the 6 month upper resistance in the 240's would set TSLA up to trade into the wedge that closes at around 140 at the end of the year. Let's breathe deep and reload! The run into a larger resistance would best be facilitated on the heels of a Yuuge announcement and/or the run-up to Investor Day. And, as @Artful Dodger has pointed out, with Big Money having the chance to get out in front too, so they don't have to lean on their goons like Adam Jonas and Dan Ives late on a Thursday night to try to drop the share price the next day. TSLA will have a much better chance of pushing through the 6 month upper resistance at around 240 and then on to the fight at 300 if it isn't too far out in front of its own moving averages.

1atbcw.jpg
Agree... Not expecting alien hardware or futuristic sky high announcement for investor day, but rather, where are the next several factories going to be in order to get to 20 million units in 7 years, a short time... Is Tesla going to own the IDRA press or build their own or buy out the remaining available units? How is tesla going to get to the machine that builds the machines?