Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
Godspeed and swift recovery Gene!🙏

My vague sense is that the CCP and Musk are less than 100% friendly lately. As evidence, point to the lack of GF Shanghai expansion (yet). Of course, that could be due primarily to general economic conditions in China, but it is curious.
IRA is the One Ring to rule them all. Rumored they pulled cell mfg machinery from Berlin to Austin. Tesla is going for IRA bucks as long as they last ( probably just a few years before Govt. pullback as costs spiral.

Probably this.

Posting internal information they get from employees.

What does this say about the level of Tesla security... at this moment? Must be big news, tightly controlled.
Maybe part of a plan to snub Wallstreet and distribute Burnt Hair? Interesting development, today of all days.

This looks like a smoking gun later in that thread. Anything for more clicks I guess.

Dayuummmm. As someone who was a little worried about the looks of the Beta in the spy images, this is stunning.

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Nice, new steering wheel? Squared Yoke?

8B834EAF-5EE3-4577-8122-19A92747494F.png

I used to live in the same coastal town as Gene and he gave me (and no doubt many others) a ride-along in his Model S. Inspired me to buy my first Tesla and I now own three Model Y's and am early on the CT waiting list. Gene, you are are inspiration! Best of health through the surgery, and we will all be talking to you again soon. -Mateo-
WOW Mateo!! I am so please to hear that I had this influence on you and of course in a good way. Really, this is a great post, thank you so much!

OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
Gene,

I've been a member of TMC since 2013 and have always enjoyed reading your posts. I had open heart surgery in 1959 to fix a hole in my lower left ventricle. Was the third person in the nation to use the heart/lung machine and thanks to Dr. Ralph Berg and Sacred Heart Hospital, I'm still ticking.

I'm pretty sure heart surgery has improved substantially since then, so I have every confidence that your surgery will go well and we'll see you back in no time.

Godspeed my friend!

Last edited:
Almost anything Tesla does can be reduced to First Principles logic.

1. A good truck should be resistant to scratches, dings, dents, etc.
2. A good EV should have an aerodynamic shape.
3. Ultra-hardened cold-worked steel alloys are resistant to scratches, dings, dents, etc.
4. Hardened steel cannot be effectively stamped, but can be folded.
5. Folded panels require an angular shape.
6. Therefore, a good EV truck must be made out of hardened steel folded into an angular, aerodynamic shape.
Being 100% real, I’m sure a big part of the cybertruck equation was a desire to use the same material as the starship to lower the cost of material for the starship (as it’s ordered in bulk quantity).

We praise Elon when he uses synergies to positively benefit Tesla, but if you’re going to do that then you have to also acknowledge it the other way (and as a SpaceX shareholder I see both). Yes the material does benefit Tesla as well, but this does disproportionately advantage SpaceX with material cost reduction (since so much steel is going to be ordered for the cybertruck). With that said I’m totally for a weird looking truck if it’s made of the same material that can literally withstand re entry of the earth’s atmosphere.

I feel the opposite. These youtubers get so entitled. None of us have a (decent) chance of attending an event like investor day but they attend multiple events and feel wronged when they for once cannot attend.

Sheesh.
I agree a little bit here...as I'm only a few hours away from Austin in Dallas, but out of all these YouTubers to get in to every event, it should be Gali. Hell, Ross Gruber got it in....

Dayuummmm. As someone who was a little worried about the looks of the Beta in the spy images, this is stunning.

Gimme Gimme Gimme

This pre-production beta looks amazing in my opinion. I noticed several details that are new as far as I can remember (I didn’t do a careful side by side comparison)

• Windshield and overhead glass are slightly curved
  • Trim details in general have improved the appearance of the truck by framing the main stainless steel portion better
    • Round trim around side windows is a nice looking touch
    • Windows seem about an inch more recessed than original prototype. Gives a nice depth to the look in my opinion
  • Angular steering wheel but not yoke. More like hybrid of yoke and round wheel. Fits the overall design theme well.
  • Bed sidewalls intrude a bit more than before, reducing bed width. Maybe this means there’ll still be internal storage in the walls. Still more width than traditional truck with major intrusions from wheel well humps.
  • Lack of door handle cutouts cleans up the lines (we’ve seen this already but up close in this lighting it struck me as a noticeable improvement)
  • Frontal air intake grills visually complement the rest of the fascia nicely
  • Appears to have the largest control screen on any Tesla vehicle yet
  • No L-tracks in the bed 😥 but there are some small rectangular cutouts that might have mounting points hidden underneath them
  • Someone on Twitter spotted that the rear seats appear to get a small console of their own

Great job to the design team!

Last edited: