Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I would imagine there are many institution that gets Tesla story, we just dont hear about them since they are not in the spot light.
I would say there are more Tesla bulls who doesn't understand the Tesla story or stock at all the past few years. When it was running up these Tesla bulls fumble on why. When it's dropping, the same bulls fumble on why...some even went straight bear and capitulated. The retail tesla community is a mess and it's even clearer now after investor day just how of the loud ones are idiots.

It makes a lot of difference: legally, economically, and technically. Putting tracks across a piece of valley is fairly cheap. Building a long railroad tunnel is very expensive, Building a railroad tunnel is technically out of limits for TBC machinery. And law says no in many jurisdictions. Plus much other issues.

Ideal situation is state/federal level owns all the valley land and co-operates with Tesla to put a railroad through some highway penetrations using traditonal civil engineering methods. That would be cheap, fast, and legally straightforward.

(But I don't know the relevant legal situation in Mexico, that is not at all my comfort zone)
The other alternative-use tunnel boring to put in a dedicated tunnel for completed Teslas, rather than for a train. Engage FSD to drive them from the factory to the rail head. Doesn't help with incoming raw materials though.

Last edited:
...and it's puzzling that so many people are upset about the lack of announcements. I guess they were they denied the chance to criticize Tesla for months and months because, come on, they said....
Is it just me, or are about 30 times more people saying that other people are upset about the lack of announcements than are saying they are actually upset about the lack of announcements??

Then compare the quality of life in Monterrey and Detroit. Not to mention cost of living.
Might be about a draw. OTOH, most auto workers make good money, they aren't going to be in the rough parts of Detroit (for the most part anyway). Cartel violence seems to hit all areas of Mexico.

Does anyone know of any primary aluminum plants in Mexico (ideally Monterrey area) producing aluminum sheet products? I haven't found anything.

Last edited:
The BMZ Z1 (1989-91) had plastic body panels (GE Xenoy thermoplastic:). I could see this for a Robotaxi.

I had a Z1, that same orange that most of them seemed to be, at least in the Southern France area where I had mine. I doubt that material would be used for any Tesla. It worked when fastened to a BMW 325 skateboard but eBen BMW never used it that way in a normal production vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
What are these parts from a screenshot from the 8 second video in that Twitter thread??-
View attachment 913448
Apparently castings, but I can't make heads or tails of them, and they appear asymmetrical, like quarter sections or something.

The new info from Tom Zhu IMHO is a huge boost -NO PAINT for example omits a huge cost and production hold-up as well as future quality control, damage and repair headaches and expenses.
Considering it says MY CAST FUB UNTRIMMED on the rack, I would guess these are for the Model Y. Also… it is the only vehicle in active production at Tesla right now so kind of trims down the options.

I would love for it to be Cybertruck, but… after my last presumption with the robot video dotting my Is and crossing my Ts before jumping to conclusions.

Here is a tidbit about Gigacastings and Cybertruck though. Apparently Munro tried to sneak down the corridor to check out the new press and there were 4 rather burly security guys monitoring that place specifically. Apparently everything on the 9k Ton press side of the casting area is still under wraps.

The BMZ Z1 (1989-91) had plastic body panels (GE Xenoy thermoplastic:). I could see this for a Robotaxi.

Since it is the weekend some speculation of Gen3 paint/no paint might be interesting.

In the Investor Day presentation Lars clearly showed panels being painted, but that might just be a possibility rather than a certainty,

There should be alloys of stainless steel soft enough the be stamped and thin enough to not be overly heavy, but aluminium and zinc are other possibilities.

A Robotaxi or commercial van doesn't need to be available in different colours. Most commercial operators will put signs on their vans.

But for privately owned cars, especially models being produced in high volumes, having them all the same color seems like a limitation.

Aside from paint and bare metal, I wonder if wrapped is another option, for a Gen3?

If automated wrapping was ever possible, it is more likely to be possible for individual free standing parts?

One question is if wraps would work out cheaper and more robust in a Gen3 environment,

Wraps might simplify the parts inventory, because repair shop could fit the wrap to an unpainted part in the color required.

But the best wraps currently only last around 5 years?

Last edited:
It makes a lot of difference: legally, economically, and technically. Putting tracks across a piece of valley is fairly cheap. Building a long railroad tunnel is very expensive, Building a railroad tunnel is technically out of limits for TBC machinery. And law says no in many jurisdictions. Plus much other issues.

Ideal situation is state/federal level owns all the valley land and co-operates with Tesla to put a railroad through some highway penetrations using traditonal civil engineering methods. That would be cheap, fast, and legally straightforward.

(But I don't know the relevant legal situation in Mexico, that is not at all my comfort zone)
Not following you. I'm not suggesting a rail spur through a Boring Company tunnel, I'm suggesting transport through such a tunnel to a railroad track. The tunnel need be big enough only for a car and its packaging. I'm imagining cars on single vehicle wheeled pallets or something similar, with the cars delivered in such a way that they can pack themselves onto rail cars. If any humans are required outside of checking a box on some paperwork for the railroad, they're doing it wrong.

Not that I know anything about it, but I'm sure the Tesla logistics guys can figure out something much better than loading cars up and moving them around using trucks the way their factories do it now.

The tunnel can be as long as needed, and I can't think of any fundamental reason it can't go under mountains. Of course there probably have to be two tunnels, as the traffic probably needs to be two way. And they'd likely need multiple converging tunnels as the cars will probably originate from more than one place.

All the water we drink has been sewer-water at some point in time, it has been peed or excreted from another human on multiple occasions, some of the water molecules in your glass may well have passed through Elon's bladder, or Donald Trumps, or maybe Adolf Hitler's colon... perhaps all three!

Etc.

As you are from Belgium: if you ever travel to the province of Flevoland in The Netherlands, you might like to try to drink some tap water there.
Not many people know that the water that comes from the tap there comes from deep water layers that have their origins in the Ice Age.
Unbelievably clean water.
So, no Hitler-, Trump-, Elon residue drinking there.
But hey, you are lucky, you Belgian guys perfectly mask everything with your Belgian beers!

Not following you. I'm not suggesting a rail spur through a Boring Company tunnel, I'm suggesting transport through such a tunnel to a railroad track. The tunnel need be big enough only for a car and its packaging. I'm imagining cars on single vehicle wheeled pallets or something similar, with the cars delivered in such a way that they can pack themselves onto rail cars. If any humans are required outside of checking a box on some paperwork for the railroad, they're doing it wrong.

Not that I know anything about it, but I'm sure the Tesla logistics guys can figure out something much better than loading cars up and moving them around using trucks the way their factories do it now.

The tunnel can be as long as needed, and I can't think of any fundamental reason it can't go under mountains. Of course there probably have to be two tunnels, as the traffic probably needs to be two way. And they'd likely need multiple converging tunnels as the cars will probably originate from more than one place.
Perhaps sections of the route could even be a private above ground road?

The difference would be the cost of buying the land for the road compared to the cost of the tunnel,

A decent version of FSD should be able to traverse a well marked mapped private road/tunnel,.

Until that can happen, loading cars on trucks is fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
In the Investor Days presentation Lars clearly showed panels being painted, but that might just be a possibility rather than a certainty,
Lars said “The panels that need to be painted”. He did not say the side panels would be painted. Their example was of the Model Y which would have a lot of paint.

But in a separate interview I heard Franz suggest that the people like paint. Almost feels like they are deliberately dancing around this. It might be that it depends on the model or even the use case. Is it possible they do the same car in different finishes? Robotaxi is stainless, consumer cars are painted?

Also, there are likely multiple models of Gen 3 vehicles. Entirely possible some are painted and some are not.

Of course we don’t even know if these vehicles are going to have a steel exterior. Might be fiberglass or aluminum.