Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some translation of the mexican gigafactory announcements:

60k GBP for a Model Y sounds like more than 15% margins to me...

But anyway, from the thread:

Model Y Long Range price in France
• 64,990€ before 12 January 2023
• 53,990€ after 12 January 2023
• 50,750€ now

I guess Tesla adjusted the prices to match their growing production with demand. Still think margins are really good at these prices, they probably cost the same as Model 3 to produce. Competition will not be happy with this. Might take a while for consumers to figure out how much they save by buying a Tesla instead of anything else, but eventually they will...
Yah I’m saying at this rate when combined with an upcoming recession the prices will keep lowering throughout the year. Do I really have to spell that out?

Some translation of the mexican gigafactory announcements:

60k GBP for a Model Y sounds like more than 15% margins to me...

But anyway, from the thread:

Model Y Long Range price in France
• 64,990€ before 12 January 2023
• 53,990€ after 12 January 2023
• 50,750€ now

I guess Tesla adjusted the prices to match their growing production with demand. Still think margins are really good at these prices, they probably cost the same as Model 3 to produce. Competition will not be happy with this. Might take a while for consumers to figure out how much they save by buying a Tesla instead of anything else, but eventually they will...
The EU pricing now is roughly the same as US pricing. Margins are fantastic. This is nothing to be worried about.

Just yesterday Troy was not raising his quarterly unit estimates despite China producing more than he expected in Feb - because he said Tesla didn’t have enough demand to buy the increased supply.

Today Tesla lowers pricing to increase demand to meet the increased supply out of China - presumably Troy should now raise his quarterly unit estimates.

Last edited:
Tesla estimates that $125 - $150B of remaining CapEx is required to get to 20M veh/yr and 1 TWh of scale. Why isn’t this getting more attention?

The profit angle is fun to contemplate, but even the more prosaic Zach angle is pretty cool too:

Tesla spent $28B for 2M per annum capacity, so $14B per million capacity
If they spend say $162B for 18M more capacity, that is $9B per million capacity

Gen 3:

No paint suggests plastic outer panels or pressed stainless steel (thinner and less hard than CT).

Assuming stainless steel, the unboxed process would most likely need the main 3 sections to be welded to one another and then to to outer panels. Is this realistic given that seats are installed etc.?
My first thought was, do the structural battery with a big casting too, for the top and sides, so all locations that might need to be precise would be so between the casting and CNC finishing, with the bottom being stamped and glued/bolted on. Then similarly horizontal members that connect the front and back across the roof line. Give them all very precise alignment holes (made more precise with CNC touch up after sprue removal), affix a few bolts to hold it together, and let the robots weld that structure, then slap on the exterior panels that are normally welded on and if necessary weld them too.

But then it occurred to me, as long as the front and rear are positioned perfectly, and then everything else accordingly aligned perfectly, we don't actually need those things aligning them to be welded into every car. Why not instead have a jig that the front and rear are bolted to, and you can align the other structure and body panels to and weld things, weld up those things, then remove that jig from the car, leaving space for the structural pack to come in later?

It would need to have a way to shrink and be removed, but you can sort of already see how that could work if you just think of an inside out Giga Press, or a nested Giga Press.

Instead of injecting molten metal, there would be a frame that the front and rear casting are fixed to, either with bolts or just simply by a combination of geometry and gravity. There would be a center part that correspondingly locates into the castings, and itself can expand and contract in the front to back direction. By having all the "press" parts riding on the same set of rails/slides/whatever, you ensure repeatability as long as the other parts can be precisely positioned by way of geometry etc.
  • At the start of a cycle, the system is empty, the outer "press" parts are retracted away from the center, the center is in the fully extended position
  • Front and rear castings are inserted horizontally between the outer and inner "press" parts
  • The outer "press" parts move inwards towards the center "press" until things are aligned properly
  • Whatever other things that need to be welded are brought in from the sides, tops, etc, similarly precision aligned
  • Welding happens
  • Repeat previous 2 steps as necessary to do multiple layers or overlapping sequences of welding, if needed (possibly you only do this for some basic structural components, and leave all the rest to more regular welding setups later on, to facilitate physically getting welding robots to where they need to be for those later steps)
  • All things are welded up, attached to the front and rear castings
  • Body is grabbed by some robot to be removed (probably vertically, probably up), and is supported by this robot
  • Both the front and rear "press" parts retracted to start position, center "press parts" contract inwards so nothing is grabbing on to the front or rear castings, body is entirely supported by the removal robot
  • Removal robot pulls the body out of the welding press contraption
  • Center "press" parts extend to their start position again
  • Repeat from first step for next vehicle
This is somewhat similar to their original idea of a casting machine that comes in from all sides and casts the entire body as one piece, but only for assembly and welding, with "smaller" (only relatively speaking) casting machines doing the actual casting elsewhere / beforehand. It would need to be huge. The spacing between the guide/support rails/rods/whatever for the "press" parts need to be both larger than the height and the width of the vehicle, so that anything being welded to it can be brought in past them, as well as removing the welded body afterwards.

It's probably a simpler short term engineering challenge to just make "everything" a casting and bolt it together with high precision, but building this large alignment and welding fixture might provide eventual better efficiencies (it doesn't preclude more castings, but also allows for a mix of castings and stamped panels beyond the main structural components, and possibly can have a higher cycle speed since potentially no bolting required, just place and weld), plus potentially you could design it once big enough for something the size of a van, then produce multiples of it, rather than them being bespoke to each line. The programming of the robots would be per vehicle line of course, and you'd swap out the fixtures that receive the front and rear castings depending on the line it was installed on, but it would let you have a 90% common machine that you could probably get IDRA to build for you.

My first thought was, do the structural battery with a big casting too, for the top and sides, so all locations that might need to be precise would be so between the casting and CNC finishing, with the bottom being stamped and glued/bolted on. Then similarly horizontal members that connect the front and back across the roof line. Give them all very precise alignment holes (made more precise with CNC touch up after sprue removal), affix a few bolts to hold it together, and let the robots weld that structure, then slap on the exterior panels that are normally welded on and if necessary weld them too.

But then it occurred to me, as long as the front and rear are positioned perfectly, and then everything else accordingly aligned perfectly, we don't actually need those things aligning them to be welded into every car. Why not instead have a jig that the front and rear are bolted to, and you can align the other structure and body panels to and weld things, weld up those things, then remove that jig from the car, leaving space for the structural pack to come in later?

It would need to have a way to shrink and be removed, but you can sort of already see how that could work if you just think of an inside out Giga Press, or a nested Giga Press.
Visual illustration of the idea ...

Not following you. I'm not suggesting a rail spur through a Boring Company tunnel, I'm suggesting transport through such a tunnel to a railroad track. The tunnel need be big enough only for a car and its packaging. I'm imagining cars on single vehicle wheeled pallets or something similar, with the cars delivered in such a way that they can pack themselves onto rail cars. If any humans are required outside of checking a box on some paperwork for the railroad, they're doing it wrong.

Not that I know anything about it, but I'm sure the Tesla logistics guys can figure out something much better than loading cars up and moving them around using trucks the way their factories do it now.

The tunnel can be as long as needed, and I can't think of any fundamental reason it can't go under mountains. Of course there probably have to be two tunnels, as the traffic probably needs to be two way. And they'd likely need multiple converging tunnels as the cars will probably originate from more than one place.

Why spend money unnecessarily ?

There are at least four or more feasible rail yard locations that align with the flat land of the valley floors, don't require tunnelling, wouldn't require massive rebuilding of the major roads, and which have sensible rail radiuses to go out to the existing railroad, and which are entirely compatible with the likely required road, electrical, and other provisions to site. Doing it all above ground is much more flexible than getting locked into inflexible and costly tunnelling operations.

I've sketched a few options below. The factory block is approximately to scale and location from the image that Tesla have revealed which is looking from the west towards the east (strictly just north of east). The image of course is just marketing blurb at this point. I've put the main building at about 400m x 1km size, much like the Austin main building.

1677929493946.png

1677930062543.png

Putting service roads for car-cargo to access the railyards for loading doesn't require tunnelling. Just stuff them through narrow apertures like this (which I grabbed from the railroad just by El Durazno)

1677930134433.png

and the Mexicans are well used to bridging over the top of railroad tracks - these are where the #100 goes over those same tracks in El Durazno.

1677930835392.png

But they'll definitely be a plan as they will need access via rail to at least one Atlantic port (most likely Altamira) and one Pacific port (prob Manzanillo) for export purposes. So I suspect that they've purchased all the land they need in one initial buy so as to avoid being held to ransom.

To put things in perspective here are a couple of images from the VAG-SEAT plant at Martorell in Spain, just outside Barcelona. It is a similar 400m x 1km plot and you can see the rail loading yard in the lower left (SW) corner. I've included the scale bar. I picked this plant as an example because it has steep sided valley constraints that are much more stringent than the Monterrey ones.

1677931502168.png

and a close up of that corner showing all the cars waiting to be loaded.

1677931558429.png

Last edited:
Don’t know what to make of this but I’ll throw it out here: apparently a new Supercharger station in the Netherlands has the new V4 stalls:

View attachment 913431

Height is about right at 1.90 meters. Station has 16 stalls and is located in Harderwijk NL.
There's a new SuC just opened in Brussels, quite likely that's v4 too, I'll pass by and check

I would need to read this more carefully but are you talking about welding the structure together? You then mention a Gigapress that makes castings?
Yeah, based on the casting machines in that it would have large assemblies sliding on those linear motion rails, but instead of casting, you use it to hold things together in a precise manner to do the welding (the welding bots would come in from the sides or top or bottom or whatever, no depicted). My previous post has a more in depth description of the idea.

You still have to size for ampacity
Indeed, and wire sizing is based either on self heating (typical ampacity) or voltage drop (which is also a power loss).

A wire carrying 4 amps is equivilent to 4 wires of 1/4 the cross-section each carrying 1 Amp, so no violation there. In fact, the 4 wire case is generating 4 times the heat per unit length vs the down sized single section.

A wire carrying 4 amps has 4 volts of drop for every ohm of resistance. A wire with 1 amp of flow has 4 volts of drop for every 4 ohms of resistance. Thus, resistance can be 4x (1/4 the crossection) for the same drop over the same length. Again, this is overly conservative if the requirement is actually a percentage drop in voltage (or power) as the source value has quadrupled (see also: wire gauge charts for 120 vs 240 AC).

6 AWG levels is roughly half the diameter which is 1/4 the cross-section. This shows dropping current to 1/4 typically* results in 6 (or more) gauge drops.

*there are other factors in play, but middle of chart shows the trend.

East Penn Wire Guide Chart, minimum of 18 AWG:
image-png-2.png

More colorful:
SmartSelect_20230304_070541_Firefox.jpg

Perhaps it was just poor phrasing during the call, but that's generally not what one understands when they hear "permanent magnet motor", especially as switched-reluctance motors aren't nearly as common.

Interestingly, the label Tesla uses refers to the motors as SWRPM (switched reluctance permanent magnet motors). So the new acronym would ostensibly be SWR?
Unless they explicitly referenced the current motors as SRPM and the new rare earth free ones as PM (which I don't remember to be the case), it's most likely just a simplification for presentations sake.

Likewise pure iron magnets are still PMs just usually with less magnetic force per weight/volume.

Reactions: scaesare
The EU pricing now is roughly the same as US pricing. Margins are fantastic. This is nothing to be worried about.

Just yesterday Troy was not raising his quarterly unit estimates despite China producing more than he expected in Feb - because he said Tesla didn’t have enough demand to buy the increased supply.

Today Tesla lowers pricing to increase demand to meet the increased supply out of China - presumably Troy should now raise his quarterly unit estimates.
FWIW, Italian prices have declined just enough to be able to receive incentives. I expect solid sales from Italy, as February is already indicating.

Inventory trends suggest more EU discounts are coming.

All the cars will move, the question is at which prices. The Tesla leadership team clearly knows all this and Elon @ investor day specifically talked about the barrier being the purchase price, hence the big focus on cost reduction.

If the intent is to continue pumping out 3s and Ys without a smaller/cheaper model and interest rates stay higher for longer, it seems sensible to expect further downward pricing pressure. More discounts across the EU have been apparent just from watching what inventory has been doing.