Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Master of coin has a degree in economics from the Wharton School

He also has a degree in mechanical engineering and applied mechanics from Penn
Master of coin has a degree in economics from the Wharton School

He also has a degree in mechanical engineering and applied mechanics from Penn
my point was Tesla does not hire economists... having a degree in economics is different in my mind
this is an economist
1678154823783.jpeg

Elon already answered that question in a recent quarterly CC. He said they would opt for increased volume rather than maximize gross profits … which would overall increase net profits. Your actual question was a false dichotomy.

This is 100% the way to go.

1. When the market (EV) is new and growing, you need to capture market share first.
2. In a high fixed cost industry such as auto manufacturing, cost depends heavily on scale. You need to keep producing to keep cost down.
3. If the end game is selling service (FSD, robotaxi), you need to propagate your platform as quickly as possible.
4. When the primary concern of the consumer, apart from affordability, is charging infrastructure, scale allows you to grow the infrastructure which in turn helps you sell more products.
5. The more people see your products around them, the more likely they are to buy your products. Peer validation and word of mouth are the most effective marketing tactics - even better if they come free.

This is pretty simple business logic. What is incredible is that a company is able to scale for hypergrowth while making a profit. What is unprecedented is that the profit margin that company is making is already higher than that of any player in the industry it's replacing.

I don't need to linearly extrapolate, the crossover already happened, I just need to know that there are less ships headed to Europe than in previous quarters. The non-linearity will be less than previous quarters.

This is nice, but masks what actually happened in the opposite direction.

Previously, Tesla supply and demand was in equillibrium. For Tesla, the supply could be visualized as a vertical line as they seemingly will keep production as high as possible regardless of demand (as long as marginally profitable).

View attachment 914630

Then due to whatever combination of reasons (certainly including higher interest rates on loans), demand dropped. That means the demand curve shifted left.

View attachment 914631

Because Tesla is on the steep side of the demand curve, it's a double edged sword. Now they have to drop price alot for small improvements in demand to get back to Q_s.

Tesla did not control these equations by choosing to move along the curve because they had a massive increase in supply. The demand curve shifted.
I literally don't follow you on this. I think I do know a care bear when I see one. I ignore care bears...

That economist is so cringy everytime he's on CNBS, always seems to have doom and gloom on his agenda.
My Econ prof always illustrated supply and demand in beer and pizza. Went out with he and his wife for beer and pizza one night... damn did I feel elastic the next morning.

I agree. I'd be concerned about the warranty claims every time someone catches a rock and tears the wrap. Even though it's analogous to an standard rock chip that isn't covered by warranty today, I can see the MM having a field day with Tesla's new "problematic wrapping process". Even if it's generally a good idea, I'm not sure it would be worth the headache?
There are self-healing wraps similar to this self-healing PPF:-

When self-healing paint protection film comes into contact with heat, it will return to its lowest energy state, appearing to be smooth and seamless. Think of self-healing PPF like an ice cube. If you scratch an ice cube with your fingernail and then heat it up, the ice cube will return to its original state once again. Similarly, self-healing PPF will “heal” any dings or surface-level scratches if you wash it with warm water or leave your car out under the sun.

The point on the color range is valid, but I think the range of colors could be extended via additional semi-clear layers

Simplest of all would be a top clear layer with the option of gloss or matt, with matt being slightly less transparent and darkening the underlying color.

Beside that top coat option Tesla might not support many more colors than they do with paint, the customer always has the option of a bare metal car and getting painting / wrapping done by a 3rd-party.

IMO if Tesla goes down the route of using wraps rather than paint, the car body metal is good enough to drive around without any surface covering. The different options merely decide how good that "bare metal" car looks and what it costs. I would go with the cheapest bare metal car, and wrap it, a single matt top wrap might be enough to make the bare metal car look slightly better.

It is possibly a step forward on today where cars are painted even when the customer intends to wrap them

Obviously Tesla has to test how long the wraps last, how good any "self healing" technology is, and seek to improve those areas.

Managing inventory is more challenging, even if the number of color combinations is only 2X today, but these cars will be made and sold in higher volumes. Inventory misallocations happen for all sorts of reasons and are usually temporary.

Last edited:
What is unprecedented is that the profit margin that company is making is already higher than that of any player in the industry it's replacing.
Not unprecedented, but certainly not common. The photo film industry was wiped out by consumer digital cameras, which were then wiped out by smartphones. ICE are in the process of being wiped out by EVs, but it'll take longer.

At their current burn rate
People keep using the phrase "at the current burn rate" when discussing both Lucid and Rivian, but these companies will not burning at the current rate for a long time. The burn rate will come down, and their increased revenue will offset and soften the cash burn. Tesla also went through this when they were ramping up Giga Nevada.

IMO if Tesla goes down the route of using wraps rather than paint, the car body metal is good enough to drive around without any surface covering. The different options merely decide how good that "bare metal" car looks and what it costs. I would go with the cheapest bare metal car, and wrap it, a single matt top wrap might be enough to make the bare metal car look slightly better.

They'll never sell a regular steel bodied car bare of a protective coating. Even if they did a factory wrap, there would be some sort of coating, whether it be a galvanizing dip or clear coat or primer of some sort.

People keep using the phrase "at the current burn rate" when discussing both Lucid and Rivian, but these companies will not burning at the current rate for a long time. The burn rate will come down, and their increased revenue will offset and soften the cash burn. Tesla also went through this when they were ramping up Giga Nevada.
Go read the latest quarterly report for Rivian. It is abundantly clear they will not be able to stop the cash burn with their existing factory and are now advising profitabiltiy wont be possible until their next generation cheaper vehicle factory is running (so years away). It doesnt look good for them.

If you haven't noticed, their burn rate is accelerating as they are delivering more cars. Why? Because they have a massive negative gross margin, something Tesla didn't have. As you scale production, every car you sell at a loss just multiply more while the operating expenses scales up as well.

As I have mentioned before, the most Tesla have ever loss in a Ebitda bases in 1 year was less than half a billion dollars. Rivian is at -5 billion plus. Tesla has managed cost like a boss. When Tesla made 20k deliveries in 2013 and had the same marketcap as Rivian, tesla lost 6.2 million in free cash flow. Rivian lost 6.4 BILLION. YES, NOT A TYPO! 1000X!

This is not a problem "they will make it up with scale" can solve. Restructuring, laying off massive amounts of people, redesigning their entire production line, need another 5-10B in cash injection, and holding their engineers as hostages until they can figure out how to break even in a gross margin standpoint delivering under 5-10k car are their ONLY HOPE.

Warren did a nice video today as a frame of reference. He still believes in Rivian but with those numbers, I don't know what kind of hopium these people have.

Last edited:
They'll never sell a regular steel bodied car bare of a protective coating. Even if they did a factory wrap, there would be some sort of coating, whether it be a galvanizing dip or clear coat or primer of some sort.

Some bare metal options are:- Stainless steel, Aluminium, Galvanized Steel.

Regular steel more or less has to be painted.

Galvanized Steel is better than raw steel + galvanizing dip.

I've finally caught up with the thread post Investor Day. I had a careful look back through the thread and couldn't see this video posted anywhere. Apologies if I missed it.

This is a video tour of the QC, GA and BIW sections of the Model Y assembly line at Gigagfactory Shanghai. It was posted by New China TV about a week ago and is in English. It provides a really good close up look at the processes within the Shanghai factory. I thought it was also a useful reference point to compare current Tesla car GA with what is likely to be radically different with the Gen3 platform. It's also a good example of how Telsa China is currently doing PR and what Tom Zhu may have in store for other parts of Tesla's operations.

Very nice video with a slow walk through of the whole factory.

It was funny that the lady that is interviewing knows almost all the details of production herself, and so she makes a long statement with all the facts and numbers in it, and then ends it with, "is that right?", "Correct?". All the other person has to do is, simply say "yes that is correct". :D

When Tesla made 20k deliveries in 2013 and had the same marketcap as Rivian, tesla lost 6.2 million in free cash flow. Rivian lost 6.4 BILLION. YES, NOT A TYPO! 1000X!

Wow! I knew it was a devastating comparison with Tesla, but didn't think it was that bad!

And Rivian last year and Tesla 2013 is a good comparison. They both bought large factories at a great price. Rivian made the mistake of tooling it to produce a far larger number of vehicles before they were ready. Tesla only tooled to a reasonable number (20K for first full year of production).

Back in early 2021, employees were telling RJ that their costs were completely out of whack with their announced pricing. Rather than try to fix costing issues (by like better design and stripping out features), they decided to go to market at negative gross margins.

Companies that sell products at negative gross margins aren’t businesses, they are charities.

Very nice video with a slow walk through of the whole factory.

It was funny that the lady that is interviewing knows almost all the details of production herself, and so she makes a long statement with all the facts and numbers in it, and then ends it with, "is that right?", "Correct?". All the other person has to do is, simply say "yes that is correct". :D

Yeah, that YouTube channel is obviously a propaganda outlet for showing how great China is (That’s why it is in English). Nothing wrong with that per se, but it makes for a funny video. The scenes they showed us were interesting nonetheless.

Some bare metal options are:- Stainless steel, Aluminium, Galvanized Steel.

Regular steel more or less has to be painted.

Galvanized Steel is better than raw steel + galvanizing dip.
Well, according to the NYT and Jalopnik, there will never be either a Cybertruck, or stainless steel vehicles. Apparently the DeLorean DMC-12 wasn't a real car. 🤦

Yeah, that YouTube channel is obviously a propaganda outlet for showing how great China is (That’s why it is in English). Nothing wrong with that per se, but it makes for a funny video. The scenes they showed us were interesting nonetheless.

Personally, seeing state-run media talk up how beneficial Tesla is for China's international reputation ("See, China can make high quality goods that the world wants; Shanghai is helping the other gigafactories; we are picking up the slack and supplying Europe, too" etc) helps ease my concerns about potential political conflicts (at least partially). Tesla won't likely be a mere pawn in any games, at least (maybe a rook?).

I was on the board of a company operating in China, and they do want to be seen as a leader in green tech and were generally quite supportive (our company was involved in regenerative agriculture in Xinjiang until they stopped renewing Westerners' visas during their Uyghur crackdown...).

I'll still breathe easier once they have more GF's spread across the world - you never know when there'll be a political or natural disaster...

Even if deposits were non refundable (which they aren’t), they wouldn’t be recognized as revenue until the customer took delivery. It would be tucked away on the balance sheet as deferred revenue until then.

Are you sure you're up to date:
Deposit-increase.png

This deposit policy change has been in effect for awhile in Canada and U.S. as far as I can tell. When I last talked to Tesla about it, the sales associate referred to it as an "order fee", not a "deposit". The fee is extra to the amount paid on delivery.