Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why multi quote never works here? sigh
Nothing wrong with 250kW. Problem is that nobody gets 250kW and don't get peak kW for long. Maybe V4 and next gen batteries can change those. If they do, Tesla will be peerless for another decade.

Nobody? Model 3/Y US made get 250 kW from 10% to ~20%, Model S/X from 10% to 33%, China/Berlin made just hit 250 kW and tapper down, but still good

That initial boost is what make Teslas charge fast even though power goes down quickly after

Time at 250 kW is the wrong way to look at, since so much energy is being delivered the time will be short, but doesn't mean it's useless

Nothing wrong with 250kW. Problem is that nobody gets 250kW and don't get peak kW for long. Maybe V4 and next gen batteries can change those. If they do, Tesla will be peerless for another decade.
Sorry to disagree. Here’s a charge that I got with a 2022 Plaid MS. It charges so fast that I barely had time to use the restroom.
D84DC580-00CD-403A-BE02-21BB2F4FA399.jpeg

I think some people have forgotten this (or didn’t pay attention). Worth a brain tickle. Tesla estimated in their Q3 earnings call that 4680 production would lead to $70/ kWh cells. Likely not there yet, but likely by year end when the Cybertruck launch happens.

That puts those Cybertruck 200 kWh packs at $14,000 before IRA incentives. IRA incentives will carve $9,000 off of that number.

Cybertruck batteries are going to be absolutely dirt cheap once production is banging these trucks out.

*Some* owners have experienced delays and been, what they consider, over charged.

Gosh, that’s never happened before concerning any other OEM. Gee, don’t OEMs still refuse to cover certain warranty items if the car hasn’t been serviced at a dealership? Why, yes. Indeed.

It’s like our plaintiff never owned a car before their Tesla. Nor bothered to do simple due diligence and asked questions.

🥱

Just had my 3 in for trunk harness replacement and fix my passenger door mechanism. Got an appointment within a week’s time (could have gotten a sooner one but wanted one that was more convenient for me) and the repairs were complete before end of day. Additionally, and included for free, they checked several other aspects of the car since no one has looked at it for years.
Service has improved. I have the Extended Service Plan. For the $200 deductible, I had a driver door handle replaced, the cameras cleaned and recalibrated, and the front hallf-shafts replaced. The last item required a 7 day process to isolate the problem, order and receive the parts - during which I received a loaner. The loaner was 2020 Model S Performance version. I can’t remember ever having a vehicle with a 5 yr extended service plan, (it’s actually a 7 year plan as I still have 1.5 years left), nor ever being given a Performance version as a loaner.

I think some people have forgotten this (or didn’t pay attention). Worth a brain tickle. Tesla estimated in their Q3 earnings call that 4680 production would lead to $70/ kWh cells. Likely not there yet, but likely by year end when the Cybertruck launch happens.

Tesla (TSLA) Q3 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Reading the answers to Pierre Farragu on the 2022 Q3 Conference Call, the $70/KWh cost tgt is for 2026 (Drew) "or better" ie: sooner (Elon). This is the expected cost once bty cell manufacturing is "fully integrated, $70 per kilowatt hour cell before any incentive".

In this context, "fully integrated" refers to vertical integration within Tesla for raw materials and manufacturing. IE: "all the way down from the mine to the cell" (Elon). And it's clear that Drew thinks it'll be achieved within ~6 years from the Sep 2020 bty day. Elon is more optimistic.

That vertical integration means after Tesla brings in-house additional cell components, which will be manufactured at new Tesla facilities now under construction:
  1. Cathode Plant (Giga Texas) - ETA months, sync w. Cybertruck ??
    1. what is the purpose of the "Die Shop"? DBE calendaring rollers?
  2. Lithium Refinery (Corpus Christi) - ETA early 2024
  3. Minerals/mining:
    1. Sigma Lithium project (Brazil's Minas Gerais State) - ETA 2BD
    2. Nickel (Indonesia) - ETA months, ongoing negotiations ?

That puts those Cybertruck 200 kWh packs at $14,000 before IRA incentives. IRA incentives will carve $9,000 off of that number. Cybertruck batteries are going to be absolutely dirt cheap once production is banging these trucks out.

It's pretty obvious that #1+2 in my list above are required to support Cybertruck cost goals, and thus they will ramp production in sync. Item #3 may be required by 2026 to achieve the $70/KWh price target for cells. I estimate that Tesla pays 20% extra for outsourced materials, so they may be able to achieve ~$85/KWh in the next year as items #1+2 are achieved.

So the battery cells for a hypothetical 200 KWh CT would cost ~$17K in 2024, or about 22% of the retail price to consumers (assume $80K to be eligible under the IRA price cap). And of course this all depends on minerals cost continuing their downward trend back to the long-term price curve.

TL;dr Tesla will produce CT in limited quantities this year, then begin ramping in 2024 with an $80K IRA-eligible CT produced in volume.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Have you all seen the renders of the 2026 VW ID2all ? Whoa, that's awesum, wot?. Who would even consider buying a Golf or a Polo now? And certainly not an ID3. I think ID 2all stands for Ásbjörn. :p

VW 2026 ID 2all 1 front nose to left.jpg

How can VW management be so obtuse? Of course, the existing generation of VW elektroautos is instantly less desirable, and the consumer has a firm future date in mind before which they will NOT be buying an ID3 (or Golf, or Polo). This comes shortly after VW announced the cancellation of plans to make a new EV battery factory in Germany, and will produce this new car in Spain. And Senior Management wants to continue making gascars beyond 2035...

Unmöglich.

Last edited:

That puts those Cybertruck 200 kWh packs at $14,000 before IRA incentives. IRA incentives will carve $9,000 off of that number.

Cybertruck batteries are going to be absolutely dirt cheap once production is banging these trucks out.

Timing may be a littie optimistic, but keep in mind those are only two subsets of the manufacturing incentives. They also get 10% off critical mineral production and 10% off electrode active material costs (and it looks like those are stackable for up to 19% savings).

‘‘(J) in the case of electrode active materials, an amount equal to 10 percent of the costs incurred by the taxpayer with respect to production of such materials,
‘‘(K) in the case of a battery cell, ...
‘‘(L) in the case of a battery module, ...
‘‘(M) in the case of any applicable critical mineral, an amount equal to 10 percent of the costs incurred by the taxpayer with respect to production of such mineral.

‘‘(i) ELECTRODE ACTIVE MATERIAL.—The term ‘electrode active material’ means cathode materials, anode materials, anode foils, and electrochemically active materials, including solvents, additives, and electrolyte salts that contribute to the electrochemical processes necessary for energy storage .

‘‘(6) APPLICABLE CRITICAL MINERALS.—The term ‘applicable critical mineral’ means any of the following:
‘‘(A) ALUMINUM.—Aluminum which is— ‘‘(i) converted from bauxite to a minimum purity of 99 percent alumina by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent aluminum by mass.
‘‘(B) ANTIMONY.—Antimony which is— ‘‘(i) converted to antimony trisulfide concentrate with a minimum purity of 90 percent antimony trisulfide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.65 percent antimony by mass.
‘‘(C) BARITE.—Barite which is barium sulfate purified to a minimum purity of 80 percent barite by mass.
‘‘(D) BERYLLIUM.—Beryllium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to copper-beryllium master alloy, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent beryllium by mass.
‘‘(E) CERIUM.—Cerium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to cerium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent cerium oxide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent cerium by mass.
‘‘(F) CESIUM.—Cesium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to cesium formate or cesium carbonate, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent cesium by mass.
‘‘(G) CHROMIUM.—Chromium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to ferrochromium consisting of not less than 60 percent chromium by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent chromium by mass.
‘‘(H) COBALT.—Cobalt which is— ‘‘(i) converted to cobalt sulfate, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.6 percent cobalt by mass.
‘‘(I) DYSPROSIUM.—Dysprosium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to not less than 99 percent pure dysprosium iron alloy by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent dysprosium by mass.
‘‘(J) EUROPIUM.—Europium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to europium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent europium oxide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent by mass.
‘‘(K) FLUORSPAR.—Fluorspar which is— ‘‘(i) converted to fluorspar which is purified to a minimum purity of 97 percent calcium fluoride by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent fluorspar by mass.
‘‘(L) GADOLINIUM.—Gadolinium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to gadolinium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent gadolinium oxide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent gadolinium by mass.
‘‘(M) GERMANIUM.—Germanium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to germanium tetrachloride, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.99 percent germanium by mass.
‘‘(N) GRAPHITE.—Graphite which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent graphitic carbon by mass.
‘‘(O) INDIUM.—Indium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to— ‘‘(I) indium tin oxide, or ‘‘(II) indium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent indium oxide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent indium by mass.
‘‘(P) LITHIUM.—Lithium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to lithium carbonate or lithium hydroxide, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent lithium by mass.
‘‘(Q) MANGANESE.—Manganese which is— ‘‘(i) converted to manganese sulphate, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.7 percent manganese by mass.
‘‘(R) NEODYMIUM.—Neodymium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to neodymium-praseodymium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent neodymium-praseodymium oxide by mass, ‘‘(ii) converted to neodymium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.5 percent neodymium oxide by mass ‘‘(iii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent neodymium by mass.
‘‘(S) NICKEL.—Nickel which is— ‘‘(i) converted to nickel sulphate, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent nickel by mass.
‘‘(T) NIOBIUM.—Niobium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to ferronibium, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent niobium by mass.
‘‘(U) TELLURIUM.—Tellurium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to cadmium telluride, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent tellurium by mass.
‘‘(V) TIN.—Tin which is purified to low alpha emitting tin which— ‘‘(i) has a purity of greater than 99.99 percent by mass, and ‘‘(ii) possesses an alpha emission rate of not greater than 0.01 counts per hour per centimeter square.
‘‘(W) TUNGSTEN.—Tungsten which is converted to ammonium paratungstate or ferrotungsten.
‘‘(X) VANADIUM.—Vanadium which is converted to ferrovanadium or vanadium pentoxide.
‘‘(Y) YTTRIUM.—Yttrium which is— ‘‘(i) converted to yttrium oxide which is purified to a minimum purity of 99.999 percent yttrium oxide by mass, or ‘‘(ii) purified to a minimum purity of 99.9 percent yttrium by mass.
‘‘(Z) OTHER MINERALS.—Any of the following minerals, provided that such mineral is purified to a minimum purity of 99 percent by mass:
‘‘(i) Arsenic.
‘‘(ii) Bismuth.
‘‘(iii) Erbium.
‘‘(iv) Gallium.
‘‘(v) Hafnium.
‘‘(vi) Holmium.
‘‘(vii) Iridium.
‘‘(viii) Lanthanum.
‘‘(ix) Lutetium.
‘‘(x) Magnesium.
‘‘(xi) Palladium.
‘‘(xii) Platinum.
‘‘(xiii) Praseodymium.
‘‘(xiv) Rhodium.
‘‘(xv) Rubidium.
‘‘(xvi) Ruthenium.
‘‘(xvii) Samarium.
‘‘(xviii) Scandium.
‘‘(xix) Tantalum.
‘‘(xx) Terbium.
‘‘(xxi) Thulium.

615kw (rated) charger, while the competition is doing 350? Seems like Tesla once again dropped the big one.
That is only the pedestal. Main takeaway is that it raises the maximum voltage and current the cabinet(s?) to which it is connnected can supply to one vehicle. Cabinets can't deliver more than their grid and DC bus links provide.

615kw (rated) charger, while the competition is doing 350? Seems like Tesla once again dropped the big one.
V3 EU CCS Superchargers have been rated at 1000 V 425 A since ever also

Nice increase in rated current, but Tesla goes near 700 A already, maybe they being rated at 615 A means they will go even higher?

I also wonder what happened to the 324 kW update V3 was supposed to get long ago, new S/X could easily take it

0ef1ea8d-8162-4b7c-a8f7-b5f8347347d3-jpeg.593073

Did the buyer wandered into a luxury brand and expect to pay jiffy lube to fix everything that's wrong with the car? If you want a car that can be fixed by everyone, get a honda civic. I had to travel around just to find a mechanic willing to swap out our Volkswagen's battery due to the computer system will reset which breaks the car.

Yes, most mechanics wouldn't touch a Tesla, many barely wants to change a Tesla's tire, let alone fixing the thing. As for "overpaying for repairs", every luxury dealership is like "hold my beer". Ferrari is like "hold my keg". Ferrari purposely designed their cars just to gouge their customers during schedule maintenance. Yes of course it takes 4 mechanics 20 hours taking the car apart to change the oil that cost 7000 dollars.....while other companies you can suck the oil out of a tube in 5 mins.
The fact that "luxury" brands may have crappy service and frankly bad engineering that requires highly specialized, trained mechanics, doesn't mean Tesla needs to. First, Tesla isn't a "luxury" brand as such. They charge the price of a luxury brand due to the "EV Premium" people accept paying-and frankly are justified due to the material costs associated with the still developing EV technology. But if Tesla wants to expand and sell in high volume to "the masses" (aka people that have to consider their discretionary income) they need to have their service model (and reliability) much more in line with that Honda Civic than a Ferrari. And if you have to take your VW to a dealer to replace a battery because the "computer system breaks the car"-if true that's just really bad engineering and something that there is no excuse for.

I'm curious, can you diagnose EV issues with a OBD code scanner as you can ICE cars? Do EVs even have an OBD port, I honestly don't know. And can you get basic repair parts (half-shafts, steering hardware, brake parts) at your local Autozone or NAPA?

V3 EU CCS Superchargers have been rated at 1000 V 425 A since ever also

Nice increase in rated current, but Tesla goes near 700 A already, maybe they being rated at 615 A means they will go even higher?

I also wonder what happened to the 324 kW update V3 was supposed to get long ago, new S/X could easily take it

0ef1ea8d-8162-4b7c-a8f7-b5f8347347d3-jpeg.593073
324kW could be lost in translation and that was the cabinet output (on AC only).
Again, that is the rating on the Supercharger post, not the charger. As far as we have seen there are currently no Tesla Supercharger cabinets deployed that are rated to go above 500v.
Semi charger in Reno appears to be 4 V3 cabinets.
Modesto is 2 V3 cabinets each. Assuming Semi is > 500 (or even if not), I'm thinking the charger modules have >=1000V output to ground isolation so they can stack them for the higher voltage output.

Reactions: GSP and AZRI11
This interior - I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I've seen it before.

View attachment 918144
There you go. For all the people who absolutely must crane, squat or otherwise distort their neck alignment to see the repetitious information in the tiny steering wheel opening; an EV now exists for you. Well. Soon.