Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I like that they said it wouldn’t have been a problem in a Tesla.
The driver should have just been happy that

1. The EA chargers he used actually worked
2. His wheels stayed on for the entirety of his round trip

Some people i swear!!! 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Do people consider Tesla a luxury car anymore?

Tesla in itself is as much of a luxury brand as Apple is an luxury phone which doesn't really happen. Just like Apple, Tesla has the luxury class which are the roadster/S/X. Then they have the premium class with is 3/Y/Cybertruck, and budget class which is the 25k car/SUV. You can buy an iphone that cost 1200 or one that cost 399.

Other car makers felt the need to separate the luxury brand vs the budget brand because most started as a budget brand and can't shake off the budget brand stigma. It's hard for people to pay 90k for a Toyota when Toyotas have been 20k for most of their cars. So they created Lexus instead. Tesla feels like there's no need since they started in the luxury space and went down.

TLDR: “Not many people thought the company would make it to that point as late last year they warned they were on the brink of bankruptcy and had “substantial doubt” about continuing to operate.

Despite raising an additional $135 million in February to be able to start production in March, the company is facing another financial hurdle that could end things before they even begin (again)

SUMMARY: Looks like Faraday Future, was a bit presumptuous with the second part of their name. Doesn’t look like they are likely to have one.

Maybe they jinxed themselves designing their car to look like a hearse.

I get it, you're all here:
Ft01LMWaIAAFost

Where the magic happens?

As an avid follower of all things Tesla, EVs, renewable energy, etc. I sometimes find it interesting and informative to see how other media outlets, politicians, not up to their eyeballs in these topics cover, discuss or not discuss Tesla. Often times they are clueless or just pandering (POTUS: "Mary Barra, you (GM) are leading the way in EVs!"). Sometimes Tesla is ignored despite being the obvious gorilla in the room. A recent episode of the "outside/in" podcast discussed "The Race to Net Zero: will EVs get us there fast enough?". Part of this was about giving a number of reporters EVs and just turning them loose. One reporter describes taking a Bolt on a long distance trip and nearly freezing to death because she wasn't aware that DCFCs existed, and was using L2 charging at all times. Reflects badly on EVs in general, and I don't believe I heard Tesla mentioned once despite discussion of EV charging networks.

Then you come across pieces that seem to get it. See the link below from Politico discussing "Why America's EV chargers keep breaking". Here at TMC, we all know the answer to this, the question is, since Tesla is a "proprietary" EV charging standard, does it get mentioned at all? Or is the whole conversation just going to be about the dismal state of EV charging infrastructure in the US? You can read the story for yourself, but the last paragraph sums it up nicely:

“I see this is a problem for the next five years,” said Ferro, the EV charging expert. “Either Tesla will take over the entire charging network of the U.S., or everyone else will get their act together, or a little bit of both.”

BTW, even given the 97% uptime requirement, and the discussion of whether that in and of itself is an accurate gauge of charger performance, I can't help but think that this huge Federal cash infusion won't produce a better product than what EA rolled out as part of the VW settlement. Of course, we are 5+ years down the road from the start of that now, so you would hope that a better result would be possible, but you never know.

RT

News article in Dutch (paywalled) about a huge new battery storage project, that will be the biggest in Europe.

TL;DR in English:
In the town of Delfzijl in the north of The Netherlands the biggest battery park of Europe will be put in place.
The location will be an aluminum factory that has gone bankrupt.
On an area of 15 soccer fields a total capacity of 1 GWh will be installed.
The great effect of this is that in three northern provinces Groningen, Friesland and Drente (1.75 million people) more sun- and wind energy can be put into use.

Last edited:
Since it's weekend; off-topic...

Finland's biggest nuclear reactor has started commercial production last night. It's a bit delayed (14 years!) project, but...

We also have lots of wind and hydro power. So our electricity is already quite clean. And there's some lithium and nickel mining in our country. A bit of rare earth minerals too. And we've been NATO member's already few weeks. Just saying.

As an avid follower of all things Tesla, EVs, renewable energy, etc. I sometimes find it interesting and informative to see how other media outlets, politicians, not up to their eyeballs in these topics cover, discuss or not discuss Tesla. Often times they are clueless or just pandering (POTUS: "Mary Barra, you (GM) are leading the way in EVs!"). Sometimes Tesla is ignored despite being the obvious gorilla in the room. A recent episode of the "outside/in" podcast discussed "The Race to Net Zero: will EVs get us there fast enough?". Part of this was about giving a number of reporters EVs and just turning them loose. One reporter describes taking a Bolt on a long distance trip and nearly freezing to death because she wasn't aware that DCFCs existed, and was using L2 charging at all times. Reflects badly on EVs in general, and I don't believe I heard Tesla mentioned once despite discussion of EV charging networks.

Then you come across pieces that seem to get it. See the link below from Politico discussing "Why America's EV chargers keep breaking". Here at TMC, we all know the answer to this, the question is, since Tesla is a "proprietary" EV charging standard, does it get mentioned at all? Or is the whole conversation just going to be about the dismal state of EV charging infrastructure in the US? You can read the story for yourself, but the last paragraph sums it up nicely:

“I see this is a problem for the next five years,” said Ferro, the EV charging expert. “Either Tesla will take over the entire charging network of the U.S., or everyone else will get their act together, or a little bit of both.”

BTW, even given the 97% uptime requirement, and the discussion of whether that in and of itself is an accurate gauge of charger performance, I can't help but think that this huge Federal cash infusion won't produce a better product than what EA rolled out as part of the VW settlement. Of course, we are 5+ years down the road from the start of that now, so you would hope that a better result would be possible, but you never know.

RT
Dumb. What exactly does a reporter, who knows nothing about EV fueling and long distance travel with them, have to offer everyone else who knows even less?

Gee, I want to promote the adoption of adult semi-feral cats so I’m going to drop off said cats in their homes and instruct them to tell the rest of the world what it’s like to own a semi-feral cat as a pet for a week. 🙄

Oh, we want partiality and to prove anyone can do ‘it’. Piss off. Let’s give a bunch of city dwelling, public transit only 14 year olds gas cars and tell them to drive across country and report back their experiences. Or hey, you want a dog, here’s a Saluki for you and one for you and one for you.

Does nobody have a brain between them? Send people who either have an abundance of experience living with an EV or send people who know they know nothing and will do complete research BEFORE they start the trip AND THEN put a reporter in the passenger seat to document.

Dumb. What exactly does a reporter, who knows nothing about EV fueling and long distance travel with them, have to offer everyone else who knows even less?

Gee, I want to promote the adoption of adult semi-feral cats so I’m going to drop off said cats in their homes and instruct them to tell the rest of the world what it’s like to own a semi-feral cat as a pet for a week. 🙄

Oh, we want partiality and to prove anyone can do ‘it’. Piss off. Let’s give a bunch of city dwelling, public transit only 14 year olds gas cars and tell them to drive across country and report back their experiences. Or hey, you want a dog, here’s a Saluki for you and one for you and one for you.

Does nobody have a brain between them? Send people who either have an abundance of experience living with an EV or send people who know they know nothing and will do complete research BEFORE they start the trip AND THEN put a reporter in the passenger seat to document.
If you are inclined to want to discredit BEVs, then that is the way to do it. Consumer Reports does the same thing with their reviews (not just car). They have a standard way to test X product, they take no time to learn about the individual product. The product that works best with their standard test and is also the lowest price, wins. So they prioritize lowest common denominator products.

RT
Interesting. Not done by a "normal"/narrative-led journalist? You searched for David Ferris - E&E News - I read one article that was interesting & informative - Why Wyoming won't build Biden's EV chargers

A version of this report first ran in E&E News’ Energywire. Get access to more comprehensive and in-depth reporting on the energy transition, natural resources, climate change and more in E&E News
Looks like this may be the original... Why America's EV chargers keep breaking

Last edited:
The complaining about Tesla not advertising .. with comments like ... "Tesla just needs to educate consumers" ... seems like Tesla have been doing just that on Twitter ...

what am i missing ... seems to me once you start traditional advertising ... you cant get rid of it ... like any other vice ... never start in the first place....

Since it's weekend; off-topic...

Finland's biggest nuclear reactor has started commercial production last night. It's a bit delayed (14 years!) project, but...

We also have lots of wind and hydro power. So our electricity is already quite clean. And there's some lithium and nickel mining in our country. A bit of rare earth minerals too. And we've been NATO member's already few weeks. Just saying.

Revolutionary cooling mechanism = open the windows...

Good response. If only Elon had the slightest credibility left it would be useful. Perhaps a better idea would be to have such things come from the Tesla account?
I for one think Elon is very credible. I don’t know what you are talking about.
Credibility is high for historical/current statements when considering A) the actual words spoken / written and B) the given context / timeframe. The challenge is that most people hear something different than what was actually said, and then extend what they think they heard to other contexts / timeframes.

Example - Q4 2022 call r.e. orders (Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool)
Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect
"<...>
Thus far -- so I want to put that concern to rest. Thus far in January, we've seen the strongest orders year-to-date than ever in our history. We currently are seeing orders at almost twice the rate of production. So I mean, that -- it's hard to say whether that will continue twice the rate of production, but the orders are high.
<...>"
It seems highly likely that the January 2023 price cuts greatly increased orders in the days / weeks immediately following them (larger short-term increase and smaller long-term increase, but both significant increases), and that as of January 26th Tesla was "currently...seeing orders at almost twice the rate of production." Especially given the disclaimer which immediately followed, the actual words used in the given context should have high credibility. Unfortunately, most heard what they wanted to hear, somehow seemed to go deaf before the immediately-following-and-very-reasonable disclaimer is said, and then become quite disappointed when production and delivery numbers in early April do not meet their own 'irrationally exuberant' expectations.

Credibility for forward-looking statements is more challenging to examine, as retroactively so many different lenses can be applied whether one wants to see the statement as credible vs non-credible (what a 'wide' release of FSD means, how to interpret 50% growth, etc). Very, very unlikely any of his forward-looking statements are made that he doesn't believe could happen, but there is certainly room for one to consider the likelihood of whether it will happen within any given timeframe / context, and most especially for credibility, "Is it reasonable to think that Mr. Musk, with the data he likely has available to him, rationally expects this aspirational thing to actually happen in a given context?"