Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not Chevy, that's Chery. I'm only familiar with Chery as an engine manufacturer from China.

Ha! totally misread that word. Incredible what the mind does. I'd correct my post, but it's too late now. Thanks. Based on the comments after my initial post, I have to believe that Tesla didn't do it because it doesn't meet all of their specs for an ideal battery.

Elon to Tom Randall (Bloomberg): "Tom, we’re not “starting a price war”, we’re just lowering prices to enable affordability at scale".

It takes a little longer with a product as capital intensive as an EV, but Tesla is following the same tactic as Apple when it comes to constantly squishing the room under the product “price umbrella” for competitors to try and get a foothold, by both lowering pricing and introducing cheaper & smaller form factor models, supported by an exclusive ecosystem (iTunes for Apple, Charging Network & Other Services from Tesla). And of course lower pricing leads to higher volume and reduced costs per unit, which enables lower pricing, higher volumes, reduced costs….ad infinitum

For example lets look at the history of iPod dominance (which actually in hindsight was a relatively short life before the smartphone obviated it): In a little over 4 years (late 2001 to early 2006), Apple drove down the price of the iPod from $399 for the 1st generation to $149 starting price for an iPod nano, and grew sales from under 1 million in 2003 to 50 million a year by 2007.

I don’t remember the financial media warning that Apple was on the wrong path by reducing ASP across the iPod line to significantly increase unit volume, but there were probably a few boneheads around that said it.

8E2E8532-C2D8-4F14-B676-2A4C18F6D2E4.jpeg

==========

The (imperfect) analogy for Tesla:

The original iPod = the model 3/Y/CT lines:
Tesla increases production of model 3/Y/CT/van, as it lowers prices and enters new markets & form factors to increase demand to match.

The iPod Mini/Nano = the next generation models:
Tesla continues to sell the Model 3/Y/CT/Van lines, and tops out annual production somewhere around ~4 million units annually, but then vast bulk of future growth (10m+ annual units) comes from the cheaper & smaller form factor next generation vehicles.

Last edited:
For the ones surfing on the Sodium Ion hype wave, I recommend watching this

It won't displace LFP anytime soon or even maybe in a decade, everyone working on it always say it's close to gravimetric energy density to LFP, but conveniently they never tell that on volumetric energy density is quite well behind even on best cases

Weigh is not the only problem, doesn't matter if it has good Wh/kg if you can't fit enough due to poor Wh/L, volume is also a big constrain on EVs, depending on vehicle class it's even more important than gravimetric energy density

They are squeezing Sodium Ion batteries into very small ultra compact range limited EVs in China e.g. BYD Seagull.

The end result is a car that will not sell well in the US, but may sell well in Asia and Europe..

The current Sodium Ion battery technology is unlikely to be suitable for any Tesla vehicles, But it is hard to know what future R&D may eventually allow.

CATL just announced that their new Sodium ion batteries will first go into Chevy EV's. Announcement here:

I'm curious as to why not Tesla?

Possible reasons (complete speculation): 1. Chevy willing to pay premium for the initial contract. 2) Doesn't meet Tesla's various specifications it desires in batteries 3) Tesla doesn't want to change to change too many things at once as they attempt to ramp 4680s.

Lol, so you know that's "Chery" and not "Chevy", right? Here's the Chery EQ1 ("sweet-pink vehicle") which was launched in Nov 2021 to "to satisfy the higher travel demand for quality":

Chery EQ1 sweet-pink vehicle.jpg

This Chery wrapper might be a Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV killer (like their passengers), but with only ~100km range and even slower charging, I honestly doubt it.

Should start a real price war down around the $5,000 price point though... $4,650? Look out below! :p

Cheers!

It looks like XPeng is fast following Tesla.

This is the 1st I’ve seen of others using Gigacasting/ cell-to-structure (I think?)

NIO's move to adopt subframe castings was first reported here:

Nio ET5 rear subframe to feature die-casting technology | Drive Tesla Canada (2021-12-20)​

Fast? That report was 16 months ago. :p Now, how long to volume production?

BTW, NIO also said this just two weeks ago: (let's see how that ages) :p

Cheers!

So much for that whole "9 months to build" GigaMexico statement.

Depends when groundbreaking is...
According to Donegan Ryan, who shared the details of his discussion with the high-profile executive on Twitter, Tesla is planning to roll the first vehicle built on the next-generation platform in 18-24 months. While Zhu didn’t provide a date for when the factory will begin construction, we can infer from this timeline that ground breaking is likely to happen in the next 9-15 months, meaning the start of construction will likely happen before the end of the year.
Tesla aiming to build Gigafactory Mexico in just nine months, while building another Gigafactory at the same time: Tom Zhu

Reactions: petit_bateau
Lol, so you know that's "Chery" and not "Chevy", right? Here's the Chery EQ1 ("sweet-pink vehicle") which was launched in Nov 2021 to "to satisfy the higher travel demand for quality":

View attachment 929110

This Chery wrapper might be a Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV killer (like their passengers), but with only ~100km range and even slower charging, I honestly doubt it.

Should start a real price war down around the $5,000 price point though... $4,650? Look out below! :p

Cheers!
move some panels put aggressive tires on it and sell it as a UTV

Reactions: UltradoomY
This is F***ing awesome!

SPACEX_ROCKET16_v3_WEB_READY_900x.png

In regards to the Starship flight:

LETTTT'SSSSSS GO

Countdown proceding, now at about T-10 min. Liftoff scheduled for 09:21 hrs EDT (10 min before the Market Open):

EDIT: Launch SCRUBBED. Issue with Stage 1 propellant loading. Today's test is continuing as a wet dress rehersal w/o a launch.

MINIMUM 48 Hrs until next Launch attempt (NET: Wed, April 19)

Starship Flight Test | SpaceX on Youtube

Last edited:
CATL just announced that their new Sodium ion batteries will first go into Chevy EV's. Announcement here:

I'm curious as to why not Tesla?

Possible reasons (complete speculation): 1. Chevy willing to pay premium for the initial contract. 2) Doesn't meet Tesla's various specifications it desires in batteries 3) Tesla doesn't want to change to change too many things at once as they attempt to ramp 4680s.
Chery is not particularly well known in North America or most of Europe, it is not one of the giants, but...
Chery is a major brand in Brazil, where CAOA, which builds and distributes Hyundais also builds and distrusts Chery. Recently they have been gaining major acceptance and are considered the best built in Brazil in some circles.
The first use of Sodium Ion chemistry in a production vehicle is not Chery, however.

Tesla will probably adopt any chemistry once it has been proven to be equally safe, can deliver decent range, has cost advantages and is very durable. It is not as though Tesla has not been aware of every single advance from CATL and others.