Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple years ago I considered the possibility for the Model 3 to be the eventual "$25k vehicle" at a very high volume. It was shot down, and might be again. But given the introduction of the castings and structural packs, and Tesla's drive for affordability, why not change as little as possible and keep driving down the costs through volume? The Next Gen Factory Process might come out with something new still, but how new does it need to be if the structure is all in castings on a Model 3, possibly this year? In the new process, a quarter Panel could still be attached prior to final assy, so it could be made in sections still, I think. What else would need to change as far as design in order to follow the next gen flow?

And if not the same car, maybe the Model 3 becomes the stepping stone needed to co-supply the frame sections of the next Gen with commonality in the castings and then some.

Yeah, but 199 of them for testing? That seems excessive. It is probably just an error in the permit description.

Just like the weird "208 EVSE" Really 208? Or do they mean EVSEs with a voltage of 208? (Which would be common for commercial properties.)
Not to mention it's also a 3phase voltage often seen in industrial settings... perhaps playing in to the "Level 3 EVSE" thing mentioned earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Hmm "Level 3 EVSE" would suggest 3-phase AC. It wasn't really implemented in J1772. Maybe they want to have it for testing for other markets with proper electricity.

Or urban superchargers. Supercharging Cities | Tesla
Typically, Level 3 means DC, but can also be high current AC (with capable vehicle charger).

Yes, on the anode for sure, maybe not yet on the cathode. DBE yeilds have been the main reason for delays.
Per Jordan (Limiting Factor) thet are producing cells where both are DBE.

"Tesla Rival Toyota...", lol. Journalists. :rolleyes:
I kind of like this. It puts Tesla on an equal footing to the biggest legacy automaker around. There is no longer an assumption that Toyota will come out on top, they are now rivals. It’s a change in the narrative, even though it presumes Toyota is competitive in the EV space which is not true, it is far better than the previous assumption.

Is Panasonic supplying Toyota? I can’t imagine how Toyota plans 1.5M 15M EVs in 3 years!? ..per ‘the street’ article a few hrs ago. That number seems absurd unless they are making razor EV scooters or something small
View attachment 936745
Toyota is ambitious based on where they are today in EV volume. That’s probably more than what Mary is doing even
Thanks 😂I think I needed coffee! Obviously can’t read, 1.5M in 3 years still seems ambitious seeing what they’ve managed so far and what others have done in 3 years.
The funny line is that they will make a new electric vehicle to rival a Tesla model 🤔 just one?

I kind of like this. It puts Tesla on an equal footing to the biggest legacy automaker around. There is no longer an assumption that Toyota will come out on top, they are now rivals. It’s a change in the narrative, even though it presumes Toyota is competitive in the EV space which is not true, it is far better than the previous assumption.
Agreed. It is a sea change (at least if other press copy this assumption) and a really good sign!

Toyota is the grandaddy, the Godfather, the graying King on his throne, aging but still dangerous with his loyal men-at-arms. Toyota's revolutionizing of the manufacturing process is not to be dismissed, IMHO, even in the face of Tesla's even more radical advances, because Toyota embraced continuous improvement at the factory level. Yes, the head honchos pointed their factories in poor directions lo these last 10+ years, but it seems like manufacturing changeability may be built in to Toyota's DNA. Perhaps they can pivot; their Altman-Z scores were right on the bubble IIRC and better than Ford and GM. Toyota will also continue to get whatever it wants from the Japanese government in terms of support, or so I speculate.
If Toyota is on board, truly and fully committed with EVs 4 years from now, even with their late start Earth may well be the safer for the existence of a larger number of decent EV factories.
If not, make no mistake... inevitable as the Mongol horde, Tesla will come calling for the king.

1683834475000.gif

"For the remainder of the year I will be at Starbase getting Starship to orbit most of the time"

I would love for him to say that lol, only to see everybody reaction, since that wasn't a problem in the past, only when it was Twitter. SpaceX, Neuralink, Boring Co were never a problem, specially SpaceX that Elon put a lot of time on