Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the Economist generally, but it is disappointing here that the Economist follows Reuters lead as a respected financial news organisation that cannot distinguish between capex, R&D and COGs commitments for EVs/batteries.
Reuters is a pawn of the fudsters. Has been for more than a decade. IMO.

"On several occasions something has fallen into one of the 16-foot mixers — which contain a blend of chemicals including volatile lithium — inside of the plant"

It's painful reading Linette trying and failing to understand how batteries are made, or even work. I mean, no part of the article will ever be as funny as her implication that the batteries work through antimatter, but.... at no stage of battery manufacture is lithium metal (the volatile stuff) used. The raw feedstocks are inert lithium salts.

There are some nasty chemicals used in manufacturing (particularly solvents, usually N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone), but "volatile lithium" is not among them.

Last edited:
It's painful reading Linette trying and failing to understand how batteries are made, or even work. I mean, no part of the article will ever be as funny as her implication that the batteries work through antimatter, but.... at no stage of battery manufacture is lithium metal (the volatile stuff) used. The raw feedstocks are inert lithium salts.

There are some nasty chemicals used in manufacturing (particularly solvents, usually N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone), but "volatile lithium" is not among them.
She is probably the one who convinced PETA to go to annual shareholder meeting to ask Elon to remove leather from Tesla's gearshifter...

Two thoughts,

1. Self driving AI/Vision doesn't need that kind of understanding. Driving needs to see/understand the soundings in real-time, recognize what they are, where they are, how are them moving relative to my car, map, lanes, traffic signals... The difficulty is 1/100th compared to the above example described by Andrej, where the AI has to understand a lot of subtle things before it can fully comprehend what's going on in the picture.

2. The picture that Andrej showed is very difficult for AI to understand. The real solution for this probably is related to general AI. However the current AI can take a different approach to understand it. This is wha AI can do but human can't. AI can learn a lot of pictures and compare the new one to the database, find similar pictures and understand it. Some commercial language translation software use this "dumb" approach and they work very well.

Over all I think it's not an issue for self-driving.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and Xpert
Might be a good business plan but no way am I insuring my car with Tesla. Not when they can track my occasional triple digit speeds. :cool:
This is a brilliant reason why Tesla should try and build out an insurance capability as soon as possible. They have superior customer behavioural data, a vertically integrated repair business and much deeper data on autopilot than is available to the market in general. If their goal is to bring the total cost of ownership down as far as possible, it’s an element they cannot neglect.

Suspect it will be a country with above average wealth. Also small enough to audit every road, line marking and sign. Not an arduous job. The cars themselves will do it, identifying “grey spots” (places where ambiguity exists). A wealthy small country will be able to quickly rectify these problem spots, a useful safety exercise regardless.

tldr. Not China.
Singapore. The government is quite interested in autonomous driving tech.

Someone mentioned Netherlands. Would FSD approval be a national competency or an EU wide one?

The P3D is faster, comparable around a track,
Not true, not yet. Be careful of your assumptions.
Speedwise yes, it may even be better, but battery capacity won't allow you to run 4 hard sessions daily that most clubs let you do. You can do somewhere between 1 and 2.
I evaluated it for this purpose (I go to Mosport frequently) and it was impractical.
It may work for some tracks and some owners, depending on charging infrastructure.

Start a thread tagging her (and quoting her story) - and showing how clueless some of these statements are. Those of us on twitter should retweet.

'The inside of the battery is made up of a sheet of a positively charged electron (anode)' Linnette Lopez.
I think charge on electron is required by forth grade standards.

No wonder Tesla batteries are more powerful than the competitor's (see eTron), if they are using antimatter inside :p

This weekend's revelations by Elon about Tesla being cell constrained for Model 3 in Q1 gave me enough encouragement that I added shares and leaps yesterday.

Although I believe that some type of part shortage for European M3s and late homologation approval likely delayed output of European vehicles at a time when North American demand was weak (due to pull forward of NA M3 sales into Q3 and Q4 for tax credit purposes), those factors alone did not explain the low M3 production in Q1. The cell shortage information provided the answer I was looking for and suggested that worldwide demand for M3 was not the problem. Of course Tesla had demand levers it had not pulled for M3 and that fact alone should have convinced me that worldwide demand was not the problem, but the cell information answered my question and I was willing to take a somewhat leveraged position in Tesla.I will continue to keep a sharp eye on Model 3 demand because this is the make it or break it issue.

Besides stock, I bought J21 100 and 200 strike calls to create some leverage but minimize time value. I plan to convert the leaps to shares before TSLA reaches the upper end of its historical trading range so as to avoid losing time value if TSLA does not break out and instead regresses back down to the starting point. Personally, I suggest keeping the number of options in your portfolio low compared to shares because it's way too easy to be burned by options. There's a real discipline needed in trading options and it generally takes years to develop so that the "TSLA is going to break out this time for sure" feeling doesn't cloud your judgement. The members who got burned by options won't generally tell you about it because they are no longer on the forum after losing their money. Yes, this is an advice.

Last edited:
You must have gotten in when the overall market began its fourth quarter crash. Congratulations on the recovery.

I own shares in ARKK which is ARK's largest and most diverse fund. It includes a number of stocks that are in ARKG which is devoted to genomic companies. ARKQ leaves those out.

TSLA is currently the #1 holding in ARKK and #2 in ARKQ.

Here are the details from ARK: ARK Innovation ETFs
Thanks for that. I think Gene stuff will have huge growth so think I'll swap it out and get more Tesla to boot. No brainer.
Still baffled by how institutions cashed in on tesla this week. Something we dont know, or do they believe the demand thing? And wasnt Tesla just short on batteries in q4? And Audi just another Tesla Y killer dream?
I dont see any red flags here other than SEC sitting on their butts and the media following the $ pack.