Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why Tesla still is not starting car insurance business. This has been discussed many times in the past. With one accident every 2 million miles, the combined rate (payout: premium) could be as low as 30%. Most insurance businesses have combined rate of 98~110%. This would force other companies to reduce premium on Tesla cars, but they can't compete because Tesla knows the cars and drivers better, and Tesla can fix the cars in their own shops, real vertical integration. This would benefit car owners too. From insurance business alone, I estimate Tesla can earn $500 from each car per year. That's about $8k (with investment gain) on each car in 10 years, $8B profit from every 1 million cars.
Might be a good business plan but no way am I insuring my car with Tesla. Not when they can track my occasional triple digit speeds. :cool:

We are going to keep our 5-seater Y on order, even though we recently ordered an inventory 5-seater X. I want to make sure the X will work for us first; it is hard on the test drive to know how the bigger size will work in everyday life. Now we just have to get it delivered; I've had two delivery dates delayed so far.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
yAdD2gR.png

Looks like they are gonna show a pre-recorded demo video of no driver on the 22nd.

Let's hope it's more than that - and not like over hyped MY reveal in which like TSLA story/impact analysis etc is repeated for most of the time.

Speaking of Q2 deliveries, can anyone point me to the best info on shipping this quarter? Last I heard, there was a ship docked at Pier 80.

Also, does anyone have info on deliveries in China this quarter. An equal number of ships were sent in Q1, but deliveries were lower, so I hope they have more inventory to deliver this quarter. It’s possible their ships carried fewer cars, but one would hope not.

I believe one ship has left already and ship # two pulled up yesterday. The pier was full of cars ready for loading.

Let's hope it's more than that - and not like over hyped MY reveal in which like TSLA story/impact analysis etc is repeated for most of the time.

Pretty sure they're going to be giving live demos. Elon's tweets make it pretty clear they will be giving live demo's of whatever they are going to show in the presentation.

Looks like they are gonna show a pre-recorded demo video of no driver on the 22nd.
Recorded demo doesn't preclude actual live demo.

Since this will be webcast, they will need some recorded demo that we watch on the web. After that there could be some live demo - which won't be webcast. Just like in reveal events where attendees get to go on a ride.

These $TSLAQ maniacs are definitely going to be on the route that Tesla will attempt to FSD on the 22nd.
skabooshka on Twitter

That wouldn’t be the route, I don’t think. He’s saying it left going north out of Fremont, the investor day event is at HQ in Palo Alto. That’s on the other side of the bay, for those who don’t know.

I hope the Apr 22 event will explain this question:

Say I buy a Model 3 and elect to "put it in the Network" so that it can make money as a ride-sharing vehicle.

Question: what happens if/when the FSD makes the 1-in-a-million mistake and does something that causes injury or property damage or worse? Who is responsible? Tesla? Me? The passengers? Say it is a really obvious case: the logs show the driverless car drove, at full speed, straight into an 18-wheeler crossing the road, the car simply didn't see the side of the trailer, and drove under it, passenger dies, etc.

Now scale it up to say 5-10 freak 1-in-a-million (heck, 1-in-a-billion) edge-cases a year, resulting in fatalities or serious injury. Is Tesla going to own this risk? Will individuals putting their car in the Network own the risk? Will Tesla indemnify such owners?

Inquiring minds, etc.
Once any Gov't signs off on Level 5 FSD, then insurance will be available to cover any edge risks, probably similar to the coverage that Uber/Lyft provides today.

Also, on a side note, the commercial value for companies not having to pay drivers will result in keeping FSD through heavy lobbying, even if there were setbacks from freak accidents. Much the same way as the cell phone companies lobbied to keep texting while driving legal.