Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s hilarious because that’s exactly what every other OEM is doing with their EV offerings.

Why do you hold Tesla not just to higher standards, but to impossible standards? Tesla can not be everything to everyone. That’s not realistic.

Additionally, The Mission is the whole point of Tesla. If excluding themselves from consideration to save a few bucks is what they choose, it’s because The Mission and their goals are more important. Part of The Mission is to push other OEMs to make EVs. If other OEMs can offer things in their EVs that Tesla doesn’t in theirs, that’s actually good for The Mission. It makes no difference if your wife drives a Tesla or a VW EV, it only matters it’s an EV.
Only because tomorrow WS is closed.....
I think you just said that to expect birdseye parking aide on our $50K+ vehicles would be holding Tesla to "not just to higher standards, but to impossible standards?"

Reactions: replicant
Only because tomorrow WS is closed.....
I think you just said that to expect birdseye parking aide on our $50K+ vehicles would be holding Tesla to "not just to higher standards, but to impossible standards?"
I can live with you thinking I said that because shortly one of our mods is going to be sitting on the BOD and he’s going to convince Tesla to change the direction of The Mission. That’ll make us both happy campers; you because you’ll have perfectly working convenience features on your 50k+ vehicle, and me because I’ll get to watch the world implode. Win-win.

This is wrong on two levels. First, autowipers and ultrasonic sensors are not safety issues. They are convenience features which DO NOT affect safety, nor remove responsibility of the driver to operate their vehicle safely. Further, Tesla is addressing these issues, just not in the order certain people would prefer (ie: auto-wipers via a surround-video neural-net in FSD beta; USS replaced w. Tesla Vision). The pace of improvement is a separate issue; not safety.

I'm not sure how to convince you that clear forwards vision is an important safety feature for a road vehicle. Maybe in planet California things are different, but even there I recall getting wet from time to time.

Upthread someone commented that they (or their neighbour) had sadly experienced a fatality when (if I understood correctly) somewhone reversed over a person in a residential context. It is not just about scrapes on your bumpers when touchparking carelessly, there is a more serious aspect to this.

These are SAFETY issues. Which should be a #1 priority.

And I am anything but a care bear. I am a long term shareholder who has been paying very careful attention to both Tesla from well before IPO, and to Musk from well before that.

These issues also affect marketability and by extension profitability and ultimately shareholder value.

I'm not sure how to convince you that clear forwards vision is an important safety feature for a road vehicle.

What are you even talking about? Just turn off auto wipers if you don't like the feature, and activate wipers manually. You can even use Voice Command: "Windshield Wipers Medium" or "Windshield Wipers Off" without looking at the screen.

How is it you are unaware of this? Are you trying to make some rhetorical point while ignoring how the wipers work?

What are you even talking about? Just turn off auto wipers if you don't like the feature, and activate wipers manually. You can even use Voice Command: "Windshield Wipers Medium" or "Windshield Wipers Off" without looking at the screen.

How is it you are unaware of this? Are you trying to make some rhetorical point while ignoring how the wipers work?
From your link.
1687166509921.png

Low sun/wet weather seems to make wipers work unnecessarily. It's not a great hindrance to me, but is annoying. Voice Commands don't seem to work well for me.

I'm in the camp that features like parking sensors should be replaced by vision only when the new method is mostly working at acceptable level. Otherwise it's an easy point to knock buying Teslas - you can count on competitors' dealers & sponsored "articles" from mainstream media to latch onto it. Less FUD, the better.

I don't use autopilot much in UK (better in Germany) because even motorway lanes seem either too narrow or Autopilot isn't so good on Right-Hand drive cars/Left-Hand Traffic - seems to position the car too close to traffic rather than in the middle of the lane.

For information, UK roads don't have standard widths. One source mentions Motorways as low as 2.2m, typically 2.8 to 3m except in final lane which is typically 2.6m.

Model 3: 2,088mm wide.

2,600mm for outside (overtaking) lane leaving 256mm (10.08 inches) mm on either side.

Model Y: 235.5mm (9.27 inches) gap each side (2.6m lane). That's quite tight on long tiring journeys, overtaking trucks or other drivers playing with mobile phone, shouting at kids or just rubbish.

I'm sure that most of this will get sorted, but there are a few annoyances which wind people up. Overall, fantastic car - but everything can be improved. I just want fewer and fewer FUD attack vectors.

Just received this mail:
To celebrate the installation of 500,000 Powerwall batteries globally, we are offering a $500 rebate on all Powerwall units installed and registered before October 31, 2023.

If you go looking for details in the link provided they say:
Customers who install and register their Powerwall(s) between June 15, 2023, and October 31, 2023, will receive a $500 rebate for each Powerwall. You can install a single Powerwall or multiple Powerwalls. You can also bundle your Powerwalls with solar panels or Solar Roof. After your Powerwalls have been installed, connected to the internet and registered, you will be notified from the Tesla app to submit your rebate request. Once confirmed, Tesla will send you a check of $500 for each Powerwall.

I'm in the camp that features like parking sensors should be replaced by vision only when the new method is mostly working at acceptable level. Otherwise it's an easy point to knock buying Teslas - you can count on competitors' dealers & sponsored "articles" from mainstream media to latch onto it. Less FUD, the better.

Did you see #418,205 other car OEMs which stopped shipping parking assist systems last year due to chip shortages?
Unlike those other car purchases, customers who bought Tesla cars since Oct 2022 will get parking assist as an OTA. The others brands? I'm afraid they're S.O.L. Buy a new car, wot? (because noone have functioning OTA updates, either)

I don't recall seeing any TMC'ers whinging about these other OEMs not delivering parking assist. Do you?

From your link.
View attachment 948339
Low sun/wet weather seems to make wipers work unnecessarily. It's not a great hindrance to me, but is annoying. Voice Commands don't seem to work well for me.

I don't use autopilot much in UK (better in Germany) because even motorway lanes seem either too narrow or Autopilot isn't so good on Right-Hand drive cars/Left-Hand Traffic - seems to position the car too close to traffic rather than in the middle of the lane.

For information, UK roads don't have standard widths. One source mentions Motorways as low as 2.2m, typically 2.8 to 3m except in final lane which is typically 2.6m.

Model 3: 2,088mm wide.

2,600mm for outside (overtaking) lane leaving 256mm (10.08 inches) mm on either side.

Model Y: 235.5mm (9.27 inches) gap each side (2.6m lane). That's quite tight on long tiring journeys, overtaking trucks or other drivers playing with mobile phone, shouting at kids or just rubbish.

I'm sure that most of this will get sorted, but there are a few annoyances which wind people up. Overall, fantastic car - but everything can be improved. I just want fewer and fewer FUD attack vectors.
Try voice commands with an American accent.

I use autopilot all the time in uk but I am probably a little crazy.

I use autopilot all the time in uk but I am probably a little crazy.

Same here and actually love it. I find the road positioning a touch odd at times but don't feel it's unsafe nor does it seem to phase other traffic around me. Feel like they've got a really solid base but look forward to future improvement here in the UK.