Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Craig Johnson of Piper Sandler - this morning:

• TSLA—Indicated higher this AM: Shares have reversed a declining price channel/surpassed resistance near $218• Recent bullish crossover between the 10-/30-week WMAs.• RS has climbed into positive territory and notable TechniGrade ranking.• Use the current pullback as a buying opportunity.

from a financial perspective:

2023 is the year of Austin/Berlin model Y ramping & Lathrop megapack. (Cybertruck will not be a positive feature on the finances)
2024 is another year of Austin/Berlin model Y ramp, Lathrop & shanghai megapack ramp, with a cameo appearance from Cybertruck.
2025 is the year of GigaMexico, Cybertruck proper volume and Semi makes an appearance.

highland model 3 update is barely worth mentioning, as it seemingly is not adding any volume at all, just a product facelift on pre-existing lines.

although have seen rumors of an additional new assembly line going into Giga Texas that isn’t Y or CT.
You forgot the “other“ new platform Tesla is revealing soon. Probably the van, which in conjunction with the compact they expect to sell a total of 4M / year.

Seems unlikely they're fully complete packs, as that would mean shipping off the Tesla-built internals for things in the penthouse and such to CATL and BYD to then be integrated and shipped back, possibly also shipping the entire pack housing back and forth. Would seem more likely they're getting entire modules ready to be dropped into a pack?
A lot of internal to the pack aren't made in house most likely

And besides, those packs are made in China, Tesla Shanghai can make and send the needed parts, no need to ship from the US and back. The big parts like the house have no secret in making them, so it's not unlikely both have a line making them

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
We are also at the exact price we were two and a half years ago.

If one believes in Tesla's long term future, today is a good buying opportunity.
Like Ron Barron said, "We are the same price as we were almost 3 years ago and Tesla is gonna deliver 1.8 - 2M vehicles this year, 3x their deliveries". Smart people pick up on nuggets like this :)

I think the TeslaCharging twitter account scooped Volvo on this announcement:

"Welcome Volvo owners to Superchargers across North America. By early 2024, existing vehicles may use the Supercharger network with an adapter. In 2025, new Volvos will be equipped with the NACS charge port."

Edit: Here's the Volvo press release as well: Electric Volvo car drivers will get access to 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the United States, Canada and Mexico as Volvo Cars adopts North American Charging Standard

Last edited:
I think the TeslaCharging twitter account scooped Volvo on this announcement:

"Welcome Volvo owners to Superchargers across North America. By early 2024, existing vehicles may use the Supercharger network with an adapter. In 2025, new Volvos will be equipped with the NACS charge port."
Note to Tesla owners: Volvo and Polestar use the Tesla position so they should only take1 spot. But the port appears to be slightly further forward, so they might bump a pedestal occasionally.

Additional note: Volvo/Polestar are Chinese, owned by Geely. Might be a sign that other Chinese companies will go NACS.

I expect most of us here agree with this. Combine this with the incorrect and short-sighted viewpoint by even bulls like Gary Black that other car manufacturers will catch up to Tesla's FSD quickly gives us in-the-know retail investors the huge leg up on Wall Street.

Now, if Wall Street would just come around to this realization.....

Craig Johnson of Piper Sandler - this morning:

• TSLA—Indicated higher this AM: Shares have reversed a declining price channel/surpassed resistance near $218• Recent bullish crossover between the 10-/30-week WMAs.• RS has climbed into positive territory and notable TechniGrade ranking.• Use the current pullback as a buying opportunity.
Well, at least one person isn’t going to raise their PT while simultaneously downgrading Tesla because Mars is in retrograde.

Eighteen posts about the Musk-Zuckerberg fight were moved to Off topic galore. Another mod already clearly instructed not to post about it in the main thread until this thing really happens. Ignoring his instructions one more time could result in a cage fight with me. As I’m 6ft5 and a shot put champion it will likely not end well for the perpetrator(s). A temp ban is another option.

Now we can stop arguing about advertising right? Right?
1687885594970.png

- I'm not so sure that Megapack LFP cells can be repurposed in any meaningful way to vehicles, as that would require raw material / early stage stuff to be processed in a different set of lines at the cell supplier.
The last I heard the Megapack was still on NMC, although IIRC they are in the process of going LFP and the change might have happened in the last month or so. Presumably the migration from Sparks to Lathrop was with that in mind.

Tesla doesn't need to willy-nilly add additional suppliers in either the 2760 or 4680 space, buying up cells from anywhere... but my point was that the capacity for cells that would have been made for another manufacturer is fungible, and it can be converted to Tesla's chemistry and specifications if the vendor is already qualified. That capacity is at least 2GWh per quarter right now, although it is likely at a higher cost than Tesla's negotiated rates.