Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
FYI- The macro influence of the day...

"The Producer Price Index for final demand increased 0.1 percent in June. Prices for final demand services rose 0.2 percent, and the index for final demand goods was unchanged. Prices for final demand advanced 0.1 percent for the 12 months ended in June."

and so far the markets say "meh"...

Last edited:
Especially when reported from New Delhi...
In all seriousness; it technically sounds logical that Tesla would be choosing locations now and readying to build factories for the next generation vehicle. The timing is correct. Mexico and India cover a good portion of the world. Maybe one more local with those lower labor and associated costs and they’re good to go?

I asked Google to convert 20 lakh INR to USD, which is apparently just under $25k. Not sure if that's accurate (or where the article got the numbers from), but it sounds good.

I like the "ambitious plan" bit - exporting from both India and China makes sense.

Making in India so they can sell in India and then using India as the manufacturing base for right-hand drive vehicles seems like an obvious strategy.

Largely speaking, right-hand drive markets prefer small vehicles and/or are developing countries with low to moderate average selling prices. Right-hand drive countries include, in descending order of population:
India
Indonesia
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Japan
Thailand
United Kingdom
Tanzania
South Africa
Kenya
Uganda
Malaysia
Nepal
Australia
Singapore
New Zealand
Ireland

I have zero doubt that Tesla is working hard on bringing a cheaper compact to market and I also do not doubt that the China government is worried that Tesla could be successful in doing so.

PS Tesla is just entering the Malaysian market, which connects the current markets Thailand and Singapore.

Last edited:
I've tried the product and definitely see what you did there.

On a futuristic and speculative Tesla note, you know how there's been speculation about how exactly Robotaxis on the Tesla network would go about recharging throughout the day? There's been discussion of snake chargers and the recent acquisition of that inductive charging company. Has anybody thought about this being an early and very simple use case for Optimus? Just ride around in the drivers seat (or be stationed at superchargers) and plug in cars when needed. Seems like among the universe of menial jobs that Optimus might initially partake, something along these lines might be among the easiest to "learn".
Guilty secret- I love Beyond Burgers, not over cooked. Prefer over 90% of beef commercial offerings.

Have you met criminals?

Yes. They tend to prefer easy targets.

Check out the rate of theft for Hyundai/Kia vehicles vs say...Tesla vehicles.

The robots would not only have their own cameras, GPS, and always-on connectivity to instantly report any issues with realtime location data--- they'd be working at superchargers.... where there's a constant stream of Teslas that ALSO have 360 facing cameras, GPS, and always on connectivity.

As I said- dumbest possible thing to consider stealing. Especially given how useless the thing would be to whoever steals it- far more than stealing a car would.

That doesn't mean you won't still have the occasional idiot who tries, but it's a pretty worthless concern overall.

Look at Tesla's website, an auto loan for prime customers is only 5.8%. Not the end of the world.
The monthly payment is an extra $100/month, about 10%, costing an extra $5.3k over the life of the loan (3x as much).

Input:
$50k loan
$0 down
60 month term
6% vs 2% rates

IMG_0154.jpeg

Not the end of the world, but certainly impacts some potential buyers....

Depressing data. There's no escaping the oven... James.

(Edit: Confirmed by a story of the Hot Springs below along with my Friend in BC).

The Murdoch family has a resort built on the coast of British Columbia, about halfway up to Alaska - nowhere land. A close friend in Canada almost took the job blasting for them but the conditions were too brutal living in tents etc... I've always wondered why there? But I've come to believe they know it's going to heat up and get crazy, so possibly an escape. I happen to know where their little resort is located and may need to crash the party someday to pay my disrespect, but I wonder how many others are doing something similar?

Seems they have a few large structures (lodges?) on the peninsula, nearest the Nascall Hot Springs, and just down river from some good fishing. Also showing large tanks either for food or fuel or both. Then I believe I see a dome structure that is cracked open like an observatory. Yes, I think I'd like one of those too if I were a gazillionaire media mogul.

I thought it would be built out more by now. It was just the one beachfront ~7 yrs ago. I don't see much for Farming yet, but that comes later I suppose. Maybe they're OK with the Fish diet... if there are any left after a couple more El Ninos.

Here's some info on those Hot Springs, the island is private now, owned by the Murdochs. Why was this even sold you have to wonder. Is Niagara Falls for sale too? Come on Canada!

Nascall Hot Springs

1689266463820.png

1689267992915.png

Last edited:
Depressing data. There's no escaping the oven.

Trivia, the Murdoch family has a resort built on the coast of British Columbia, about halfway up to Alaska - nowhere land. A close friend in Canada almost took the job blasting for them but the conditions were too brutal living in tents etc... I've always wondered why there? But I've come to believe they know it's going to heat up and get crazy, so possibly an escape IMO. I happen to know where their little resort is located and may need to crash the party someday to pay my disrespect, but I wonder how many others are doing something similar?
It has been posited that Canada will become a haven for climate refugees if the world continues warming, between our colder northern climate across a huge land mass + plentiful fresh water + low population.

Last edited:
Much less-than-normal chatter about the SP this week.

TSLA meandering over the last week (after a stellar P&D report) has been annoying to say the least. Volume has dried up, which gives the hedges and MMs the opportunity to drive the SP down, even in light of macro data being very favorable and the overall market being up.

I guess the enthusiasm of the P&D numbers are being overtaken by uncertainty regarding gross margins and earnings in general. I also think concerns about Threads, Twitter and the renewed possibility that Elon might have to continue funding of Twitter via sales of TSLA have been a drag and may be limiting the institutions from accumulating.

We have underperformed the market the past several sessions, and it's hard to see that changing until earnings are announced. I hope for positive numbers as well as updates on CT and other catalysts. I wish for a 'shock and awe' type of earnings call like NVDA had. Better-than-expected auto gross margins, announcement of margins having bottomed and are rising, and announcement of early deliveries of CT would do the trick I think. Maybe guiding delivery numbers higher to 2M. And/or a stock buyback announcement. But other than margins bottoming, I consider the above to be unlikely - just wishful thinking.

I'm keeping the faith and have no doubts about long term success. The long term investment thesis is not only intact, but growing and accelerating. But I must admit it's been a study in patience this past week. It would probably be better for me to not watch the stock price. But I find it to be the most entertaining form of reality TV there is and can't my eyes off.