Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did IRA credits go into a separate bucket from standard automotive regulatory credits?

1689799776915.png

Used car sales. I suspected if there was a surprise to the upside it’d be this.
Is that correct thinking though?

I thought a large part of the used cars Tesla sells are cars they are getting back from leasing? Doesn't that mean they are paying the same for those cars as last quarter but they are getting less when they sell them because used car prices are falling.

I feel like the writing was sort of on the wall for the better-than-expected margin results if one listened hard enough on Battery Day earlier this year. The percentages the team was throwing around when discussing cost reductions, footprint reductions, efficiency increases, etc. were absolutely astounding...50% here, 80% there...I was in disbelief. You just don't ever hear numbers that big on such a short time scale. 🤯

Thankfully, the leadership team appears to be obsessively focused on making money when they buy and manufacture, not when they sell the final products. I also believe that the ability to call an audible and instantly adjust to market conditions puts Tesla in a completely unique position vs. legacy auto manufacturers who sell through dealerships (January price cuts are the perfect example). I view the time penalty required to operate through a dealer network as insurmountable in the face of Tesla's agility.

Yep, Austin and Berlin are still ramping up, so they are going to impact margins. This will of course fade away over the next year or so... :cool:
AsAustin and Berlin fade away, Mexico and other expansions fade in.

Inefficiencies from under-utilized production lines will not go away this decade. It’s the nature of growing 50%. One half of production lines will always be ramping.

AsAustin and Berlin fade away, Mexico and other expansions fade in.

Inefficiencies from under-utilized production lines will not go away this decade. It’s the nature of growing 50%. One half of production lines will always be ramping.
Yes, but the margin hits become a smaller piece of the overall pie with each step.

Energy margins on 🔥
We may see a step change here:
View attachment 957813
This must be primarily from Lathrop ramping up but also in the huge 222% growth with 3.7 GWh delivered.
Since they are continuing to develop other factories also we might well have seen the first signs of maturity for which we've been anxiously waiting since Autobidder and Hornsdale.