Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the influencers have been against buying UBER. I agree, however, I'm a little surprised. TSLA would lose some value but it would reduce the risk of being able to scale the robotaxi fleet into a huge customer base to zero. It is also a guaranteed source of demand.

It’s like Ford buying a buggy whip company for a list of people who like travelling from A to B. I think it’s safe to assume there’s no shortage of such people.
The demise of Uber is going to cause a tonne of resentment from Uber drivers. Tesla wise to stay well away.

It’s like Ford buying a buggy whip company for a list of people who like travelling from A to B. I think it’s safe to assume there’s no shortage of such people.
The demise of Uber is going to cause a tonne of resentment from Uber drivers. Tesla wise to stay well away.
I suspect there will come a time when Uber loses 90% of its value because it’s being pushed out of the market by robotaxis and Uber will be attractive for its data on taxis in countries that teslas hardly exist.

Maybe I‘ve solved the mystery of that rumoured Shanghai Model 3 production plan (alternating between highland and the old style model):

1. I’m not sure I saw it mentioned on this thread, but yesterday Model 3 orders in Europe started showing October-November as expected delivery date for all countries except UK.

2. In UK, Australia/New Zealand, model 3 remains available for near term August/September when ordering. These markets are all LHD.

Therefore maybe the answer is that Highland will only be RHD initially, and so the LHD markets will continue to see the old style model being served to them from Shanghai for a month or so longer.

Last edited:
Maybe I‘ve solved the mystery of that rumoured Shanghai Model 3 production plan (alternating between highland and the old style model):
This also could simply be a way of smoothing out the production ramp...

1. Try Highland production for a while, find some issues. - lower rate
2. Revert to normal production (while working on Highland issues) - higher rate
3. Try Highland again - lower rate, but not as bad as 1.
4. Revert to normal production (while working on Highland issues) - higher rate

A mix of lower rate and higher rate production averages out, this eases logistics a bit because there are enough cars produced to keep the pipeline flowing,.

It is a good strategy if they can do something to improve the Highland rate in parallel with working on normal production,

I always get confused as to whether we refer to countries that drive on the Left side of the road as LHD (because they drive on the left) or RHD (because the driver sits on the right side of the car).
I also get confused with the mixed up way the terminology gets referred to around here.

In Australia we have the driving wheel on the right hand side of the car and we drive on the left hand side of the road. As far as I know, the correct terminology for this is Right Hand Drive (RHD) and Left Hand Traffic (LHT). So if you want to talk about Tesla cars going to the UK, Australia, NZ etc, we should be referring to these cars as RHD cars. No-one in Australia talks about us being LHD, here imho it's always been referred to as RHD.

Whereas in the US, Europe and much of the world that have Left Hand Drive cars and Right Hand Traffic, cars would be referred to as being LHD.

To quote this wiki article Left- and right-hand traffic - Wikipedia
"In RHT jurisdictions, vehicles are typically configured as left hand drive (LHD), with the steering wheel on the left side of the passenger compartment. In LHT jurisdictions, the reverse is true as the right hand drive (RHD) configuration."

from a different youtuber that is predicting 2030 share price he gives this reminder why the big numbers shouldn't be as impressive.

This guy is saying over $8,000 a share in 2030 but because of inflation it's about like if you said the stock price would be $2300 next month.

1691120149488.png

I seem to have tuned into the wrong channel.
There are a lot of unusual thought processes going on here.
An Aussie (and a Canadian) 'splainin' RHD to a Kiwi, none of which are on the Right side of "the pond."
Disturbing napkin (or perhaps toilet paper) math.
Did I miss Friday and this is the weekend already?
Should I be skeered?

Last edited:
I always get confused as to whether we refer to countries that drive on the Left side of the road as LHD (because they drive on the left) or RHD (because the driver sits on the right side of the car).
We can just rename it to left elbow window drive (LEWD) and right elbow window drive (REWD) - that way you just have to remember which elbow you rest on the window while driving.

This all assumes everyone is a super bull. But there are plenty of bulls here that are not bullish on FSD.

I'm 95% confident FSD will be working inside 5 years.
Surely for those that are <80% confident, UBER is the perfect solution? If FSD doesn't work for 20 years, Tesla would still be guaranteed to dominate the market. Tesla without FSD could also compete against a competitor with FSD as it will take them a long time to build a fleet.

1. I’m not sure I saw it mentioned on this thread, but yesterday Model 3 orders in Europe started showing October-November as expected delivery date for all countries except UK.

2. In UK, Australia/New Zealand, model 3 remains available for near term August/September when ordering. These markets are all LHD.

Therefore maybe the answer is that Highland will only be RHD initially, and so the LHD markets will continue to see the old style model being served to them from Shanghai for a month or so longer.
I would interpret that as the opposite, GF3 continues M3 with the current lines for LHD markets, hence they're still available relatively short-notice. The new RHD Highland won't be ready for some months outside of China due to homologation and logistics

Note that the M3P is delayed even more, Nov - Jan

1691139594532.png

This also could simply be a way of smoothing out the production ramp...

1. Try Highland production for a while, find some issues. - lower rate
2. Revert to normal production (while working on Highland issues) - higher rate
3. Try Highland again - lower rate, but not as bad as 1.
4. Revert to normal production (while working on Highland issues) - higher rate

A mix of lower rate and higher rate production averages out, this eases logistics a bit because there are enough cars produced to keep the pipeline flowing,.

It is a good strategy if they can do something to improve the Highland rate in parallel with working on normal production,
IMHO its likely to be just for Osborning reasons.

normal production will supply local demand close to factories, whilst Highlands are built initially for export.

Once those Highlands are on ships heading out to EU etc, then normal production fully switches to Highland and we then have the official launch.

This avoids "normal stock" needing to be sold at same time as Highland Stock, and reduces risks of refused "normal" deliveries, whilst also allowing production to ramp gradually to assess any issues.

Global economy looking soft. For Tesla to be performing well in such an environment is excellent. It means that Tesla's comparative position in 2-years time will be staggeringly strong. It also means that those Chinese BEV makers (notably BYD and SAIC) who fill the global leaderboard alongside Tesla, are going to be even more motivated to export. Western/Japanese ICE-makers are really in a bad corner.

I would interpret that as the opposite, GF3 continues M3 with the current lines for LHD markets, hence they're still available relatively short-notice. The new RHD Highland won't be ready for some months outside of China due to homologation and logistics
Since very well informed people here do not know the actual basis for LHD (driving on the Right side of the road) and RHD ( driving on the Left side of the road) a modest history of the topic may the the only solution:

In short, we are suggesting that RHD Model. 3 availability is continuing while LHD ones are waiting for Highland.

Since very well informed people here do not know the actual basis for LHD (driving on the Right side of the road) and RHD ( driving on the Left side of the road) a modest history of the topic may the the only solution:

In short, we are suggesting that RHD Model. 3 availability is continuing while LHD ones are waiting for Highland.
Yes, in my early-morning funk I got them the wrong way around - I'm suggesting the opposite, of course, EU and China M3 will flip to Highland, UK and the like will continue with the existing model

Which may actually be what the OP meant... rather than the converse... now I'm confused... I need a lie down...