Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They say they've been collecting and annotating visual data for 25+ years and have 200PB of it, as far as I know they're the commercial originators of all this and are what Tesla based its system on after their partnership was severed back in the day

Nowadays I believe they've more or less stopped collecting visual data and just focus on "semantics" that are sourced from the fleet, those break out road markings and signage etc that feed into their maps

Last year Mobileye said their fleet was around 70million vehicles

And here's an example of NVIDIA's DRIVE system with an implementation similar to FSD Beta (aka Autosteer on City Streets) in a Mercedes

Yeah their stuff works great until NCAP test their AEB and find them hitting mannequins. Maybe they can promotion video themselves to FSD.

Today something happened that I didn't think it was possible

Found one of those that spew every single FUD point about EVs in real life, and as it happens, it's one of my best friend that we know each other close to 15 years now and we see each other almost weekly

Every, single, one.

That EVs haven't proven that they can replace ICE yet

That the grid won't handle EVs if everybody has one, didn't matter that I showed him on the spot the grid demand curve and that at night when most people would be charging there is tons of spare demand

That he couldn't charge one in his house because it takes too much power. When I asked how much he drives daily and calculate how much power/energy it would take to charge that back, and that he could do in a regular outlet, still didn't accept

That he knows that EVs are worse than ICE for the environment, no matter what he wouldn't believe, that the data Tesla shows can't be trusted because he saw people saying it so

That once the batteries dies, it gets send to South East Asia for it to be disposed, completely ignoring that a dead battery is the most valuable ore for someone making new batteries

That the life of a EV is short and the battery dies soon, much quicker than ICE, by this point I stopped refuting and just nodded

Shame, because I though he was a smart guy knowing him all this time
Maybe he is smart. Depends to whom you’re comparing him. As an example; you’ve taken him in as a best friend. Given that - well, one might conclude he’s a genius compared to the ghost that skates. What’s that about anyway!?

I still have hope for you. Hardly anybody gets their first best friend right.

Wow, Alex Shultz is anti Elon Muisk, Anti Tesla, and Anti Boring company. I haven't seen that overt a spin on an article in a while.

View attachment 962727
View attachment 962728

and it continues like that all the way down, nothing but negative spin on every possible topic.
Without knowing the first thing about this particular writers history I would think it's more a hit piece about anyone involved in the move of the Oakland team to Las Vegas. Supposedly most of his readers are local and (rightly so) hates the teams owner and Elon is just another convenient target.

Found one of those that spew every single FUD point about EVs in real life, and as it happens, it's one of my best friend that we know each other close to 15 years now and we see each other almost weekly

Every, single, one.

That the grid won't handle EVs if everybody has one, didn't matter that I showed him on the spot the grid demand curve and that at night when most people would be charging there is tons of spare demand

That he couldn't charge one in his house because it takes too much power. When I asked how much he drives daily and calculate how much power/energy it would take to charge that back, and that he could do in a regular outlet, still didn't accept

That he knows that EVs are worse than ICE for the environment, no matter what he wouldn't believe, that the data Tesla shows can't be trusted because he saw people saying it so

That once the batteries dies, it gets send to South East Asia for it to be disposed, completely ignoring that a dead battery is the most valuable ore for someone making new batteries

That the life of a EV is short and the battery dies soon, much quicker than ICE, by this point I stopped refuting and just nodded

It's weird to me that some people care so much about what form of energy powers their vehicle that they will disregard all data to the contrary.

Every, single, one.

Where's your friend from? Can I guess?

I have several life long friends that are climate deniers and surrounded by election deniers (Az) in our cul de sac. I just feed the facts when I can, even joke about it helps take the edge off so we can just disagree and move on. I must say it has affected my view of them, and likely the reciprocal is true. But I have changed, not them. So it's on me to enlighten whenever possible and keep the dialog open if I can.

There are so many untruths out there now that appear as science. I watch this German scientist on youtube - "no gobble di goop". She debunked the recent Fusion Energy thing. I now have a duty to explain that they were not measuring Total energy into the system for heating the plasma or powering the magnets. They claim a Q of about 10 (Q = Input/Output power) but it's still only about .67 if you subtract the plasma energy. Same as before.

Why did Fusion energy even come up again? I think it's the same reason new battery tech keeps showing up as well and we all know the reality with that. And when people accept that unlimited energy is coming soon... guess what? They feel less guilty because "they" or "somebody" is going to replace Oil with Fusion. It's all green brainwashing... just like the recycle promises. Jon Stewart has a good video on that.

So how much more BS is there we don't know about?

Why did Fusion energy even come up again? I think it's the same reason new battery tech keeps showing up as well and we all know the reality with that. And when people accept that unlimited energy is coming soon... guess what? They feel less guilty because "they" or "somebody" is going to replace Oil with Fusion. It's all green brainwashing... just like the recycle promises. Jon Stewart has a good video on that.

So how much more BS is there we don't know about?

No, you have it all wrong. Oil will be replaced with Fusion, er, that is, currently IS being replaced with it in fact.

It is just that the nearest successful Fusion reactor is located off-planet and we have to convert the Fusion energy into electricity by using solar panels, wind farms, and other sources powered by the Sun. Then store it in batteries so we can use it when we need it.

This in no way prevents your friends from experiencing continued conFusion about these things. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Every, single, one.

I find that a lot of those kinds of people can be turned by not talking about facts, just letting them drive my car. Suddenly all those things don't matter and they just enjoy the driving experience - and wish they had one (actual friends only...).

We do an annual CabinCon (boardgaming with close buddies at the lake) and suddenly there's no EV bashing anymore after they've felt the rush of driving themselves... (just the comments about wishing they were cheaper - and I tell them to be patient)

Last edited:
Something obvious occurred to me today. What if the Highlander reference ("There can be only one") is code for Tesla switching all vehicle production to 48 volt architecture? Seems like a big switch with coordination to suppliers and I haven't heard a leak, so maybe far-fetched.

If the "Highland" statement from Elon refers to the Ford Highland Park plant that revolutionized the manufacturing process with a moving assembly line, as some have suggested, then I'd like to think it is about more than just upping to 48V. Though that might well be part of it.

What if, instead, they are moving toward making all models using the Unboxed method? That seems to me to be more aligned with the leap achieved by Ford at the Highland Park plant. (while at the same time seeming completely ludicrous to even consider)

Haven't seen anything to support this sort of speculation, and Tesla has never been known to surprise the world by keeping their cards close to their chest...

"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

b0e73f7f9b2f04c3b042af96bcbd6876--vintage-cartoons-classic-cartoons.jpg

Something obvious occurred to me today. What if the Highlander reference ("There can be only one") is code for Tesla switching all vehicle production to 48 volt architecture? Seems like a big switch with coordination to suppliers and I haven't heard a leak, so maybe far-fetched.
Backing that up to some extent, there are rumours about Chinese component manufacturers building new factories in Mexico to support Giga Mexico Gen3 production.

If we assume that Cybertruck is probably 48V, those 48V components have to be coming from somewhere, and at this stage that is probably China,

It then isn't much of a stretch to imagine that Model 3 Highland at Fremont and in China is also using a 48V architecture.

Our speculation may be running ahead of the plan, but for Cybertruck and Highland it makes little sense to start out at 12V and later move to 48V.

I also think Tesla would like to ramp and verify 48V components ahead of Gen3 production.

If this is true, I would not be surprised if all Tesla vehicles are 48V by the end of 2024.

Where's your friend from? Can I guess?
Here from Brazil also

I find that a lot of those kinds of people can be turned by not talking about facts, just letting them drive my car. Suddenly all those things don't matter and they just enjoy the driving experience - and wish they had one (actual friends only...).
Wish I had one to let him drive lol, all I have is my eBike

Only "EVs" I ever driven so far is a BYD Yuan and a Jeep PHEV, ignoring many small ones that aren't cars

FSD License means others can't do it themselves in time before their entire platform becomes irrelevant. I'm not going to pretend to figure out the system or levels without more details. But to believe it's not happening is to dismiss Elon when he clearly states that one or more OEMs are interested.

Again- OEMs were "interested" in the supercharger system 7 years ago and it took that long for anything to come out of it and a deal to be announced.

And superchargers actually existed and worked those whole 7 years, FSD being RT capable remains an aspirational dream in contrast.

Because the infotainment specs, and FSD version, can all change independent of the vehicle model.

So, if in 6 months Tesla starts shipping a Y with an additional 2GB of infotainment RAM, but it's still a "model Y HW4" FSD system, then ambiguity results.

I mean, they COULD change any hardware in the car at any time.

It wouldn't make any SENSE to be constantly changing the specs of the infotainment system every few months of course, apart from causing a ton of churn on expensive supply chain stuff they'd also be adding complexity to the software side of things if the specs keep changing since they'd either need different versions based on a bunch of HW configs, or write everything for the lowest-specs, in which case why bother with higher ones?

On the contrary- the fact they decided the cost savings of cutting the RAM and local storage in half for the Y (and likely refresh 3) infotainment suggests they see no need for the higher specs and they might as well save the money... so adding a fraction of the RAM back in 6 months would be a pretty weird decision
in that light.

Cybertruck is 48V so S/Y isn't a drop in and Tesla would respin the board instead of adding an additional step down module.

Would they though?

There's already mini-ITX motherboard component supply that handles DC in the 16-19v range, so getting a board built for the Ryzen MCU 3 that was native for the new 16v battery was trivial.

AFAIK nobody makes 48v input motherboards though-- and developing one rather than stepping down seems a pretty significant thing they'd need a third party to make for them rather than doing a dime-a-dozen-part 48v->12v (or 16v) conversion into the MCU.... (if you've got newer info I'd love to see it, last I knew they were pushing 48v for data centers, but even then it was mostly sending 48v to racks and going into 48->12v stepdowns from there)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001

Every, single, one.

What a fool.

Everyone knows American EVs get sent to the Amazon rainforest, eventually all catch fire, and single-handedly burn down 20% of Brazilian land.

Not SE Asia.

Except it's not "Highlander", it's Project Highland (an obvious hat tip to Henry Ford's Detroit-area factory which introduced the moving assembly line to auto manufacturing).

Turns out, there can be more than one... :p

Hi @Papafox

TSLA opened above its 50-Day Moving Average MA(50) which was at $251.14 yesterday. The MA(100) is still down around $215 but we're dragging it up and into the light by a few points everyday. ;)

View attachment 962134

Quite the quiet Volume, wot? August... ;)

Cheers to the Chartists!
Yep, I meant 50 day moving average. The blue line in my charts is the 50 DMA, just as in the chart above. Often I do these posts at the end of a long day and make silly mistakes. The solution is to get the charts and writeup done earlier in the day, when possible. Cheers!

Every, single, one.

What you describe clearly shows the effectiveness of the desinformation that is being directed to us all through many information channels.
All the above arguments of your friend can simply be categorised in fear, uncertainty and doubt.

A company like Cambridge Analytica (but there are many more) has proven how easy and effective this is.
I advise to watch the Netflix documentary “The Great Hack”; it is as entertaining as it is downright frightening how easy it is to manipulate people.

EM has already had surgery for his neck. Another one? I have seen that slippery slope unfortunately.

Not that my opinion matters, but I definitely prefer no cage match regardless.
Actually, this makes the fight more likely, as he said previously that his neck problem would disappear if he got the vertebrae fused together.