Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conservatives are open to clean energy and emission free vehicles.
As long as that's true, I think we are fine. But it might not be true much longer.

Like it or not, Trump runs the show on the right. He's been relentlessly bashing EVs lately. Conservatives are less open to clean energy and emission free vehicles than they were two weeks ago.

One bright spot is that I think the UAW strike could be ending soon. It looks like Ford has given in to a lot of UAWs demands. The others will be forced follow and I'm optimistic that a final deal could be hammered out by next week. Then the whole EV debate would no longer be front and center.

As long as that's true, I think we are fine. But it might not be true much longer.

Like it or not, Trump runs the show on the right. He's been relentlessly bashing EVs lately. Conservatives are less open to clean energy and emission free vehicles than they were two weeks ago.

One bright spot is that I think the UAW strike could be ending soon. It looks like Ford has given in to a lot of UAWs demands. The others will be forced follow and I'm optimistic that a final deal could be hammered out by next week. Then the whole EV debate would no longer be front and center.
I want the UAW strike to fail quickly or drag on. The faster the UAW gets phase one of their plan done, the more quickly they move to phase two. Phase two is to unionize Tesla workers. I don't think they will succeed but I don't want the drama and I don't like the risk that I'm wrong.

Don’t forget you pay sales tax only on the difference in some states. That can be thousands of dollars. Last car I bought, Tesla was $1000 lower than Carmax, but the deal was $2000 better trading with Tesla because of sales tax.
Heh, heh. In the State of New Jersey, there’s no sales tax on BEVs.

Just like there’s no sales tax here on solar panel systems.

Hopefully this means Giga Mexico is into construction phase.

Last edited:
I want the UAW strike to fail quickly or drag on. The faster the UAW gets phase one of their plan done, the more quickly they move to phase two. Phase two is to unionize Tesla workers. I don't think they will succeed but I don't want the drama and I don't like the risk that I'm wrong.
I also think that unionization efforts at Tesla will fail. As long as TSLA is a growth stock, employees will want RSAs, RSUs, ESOs, and ESPPs.

But even if Tesla were to become unionized, I don't think it would hurt Tesla's bottom line much. And Optimus will be taking over most of those jobs anyway.

Reactions: Featsbeyond50
Hopefully this mean Giga Mexico is into construction phase.

Explains why $TSLA is down 2.49% 🥴

Guessing max pain is $250 for the week?

Wait a minute...shouldn't they pay a fine ON TOP of whatever profits they made by violating the law? If not, how many people at Citadel also have a side job with the SEC?
I didn't read that, but from your post, it sounds like Cost of Doing Business. Or maybe Pay to Play. Or, I'll stroke yours if you stroke mine.
Okay... I'll go back to deleting emails.

Reactions: BornToFly
Having read the extensive article, I have to agree with - at least most of your post.
There is a lot of gonzo journalism out there. Seen plenty. This WaPo piece was not that. First, it did indeed mention that other companies who use materials from Xinjiang province face this same problem. They even named some of them, but EVs are the focus so Tesla is also named a lot. The piece seems to draw from multiple sources with years of experience and research in and into China and its labor practices.

It is clear from the article that this supply chain question "is there forced labor from Xinjiang province in Company X's supply chain?" is hard to pin down for CCP-secrecy-and-PR-related reasons, multiple supplier/chain documentation reasons, and quite frankly, despite unequivocal statements of cleanliness from any Company X that gets materials mined from Xinjiang province, for the reason that various Company X's appear (implied in the article) to not try _too_ hard to find out (and the efforts they make, do in fact get stymied by various Chinese business/government practices). [It sort of reminded me of how Russia is managing to sell much of its oil to mysterious 'someones' through what they are calling a "shadow fleet" of tankers right now, despite that officially not being legal for most of it. When there is demand and there is product, the market often finds a way, while maintaining plausible deniability for various parties.]

• I do not know if paying 20-30 PR people for Tesla to respond to this sort of thing would be cost effective for the mission. Impossible for me to say; too many hypotheticals. I do find their lack of public response (outside of Elon/X) alternately great and frustrating.
    • I do wish more areas of the earth - with more transparent and less repressive governments - mined and refined these materials - which included (IIRC) things like bauxite and steel, in addition to the expected lithium that we read so much about (so yes, absolutely more than just EVs have this supply chain issue, but their demand likely exacerbates it), so that we might address transitioning our auto fleet to electric in time to save generations of humans without resorting to minerals pulled from the earth by (potentially? more?) forced labor. The fact that this is not the case in the world as it exists today, plus the fact that mines and refineries take time to permit and build, means any Company X's choices today that needs these materials actually are constrained.
    • By comparison, it goes without saying that much fossil fuel extraction is in places with awful and repressive governments, some of them kingdoms that maintain a grip on power due to state capture of the FF profits, and capture of the state by FF companies.
    • I am glad that Tesla is building a lithium refinery in the USA to try to address what they can of this issue.
    • I am glad the US Inflation Reduction Act's effects subsidize the creation of a non-China and therefore non-Xinjiang supply chain, with (as greedy shareholder) a good bit of that flowing to Tesla for doing what they already wanted to do
    • Are any traditional automakers building refineries? I don't recall seeing that in the press anywhere, but someone here would likely have noted this.
    [*]
Very well said.

The tough reality on the TMC Forums is that any negative news (the things that drag our SP down around, what, ~60% of its all time high), is shunned and blasphemous. There's a lot of "Shoot the messenger" here.

Your post was a breath of fresh air and I hope others will realize that our TSLA performance is ALSO a result of a many self-induced negative drivers . . . . The sooner we get a BoD with some teeth and ability to call the CEO on his "stuff," the better.

Everyone needs to be reigned in on occasion or bad things can result.

I don't know If I would call the yoke a failed product especially now that Tesla raised the price from free to 1k. Also them changing the yoke back to round steering didn't exactly blow sales out the door. Demand for the s/x was limited to a lack of customers willing to pay over 100k for a car with 7% interest rate.

Raising the price of the yolk to $1k is a precursor to killing it. Almost no one will pay that. It’s probably gone in a year.
Personally I don’t think the yolk cost Tesla much in sales. People already motivated to buy an S/X were mostly willing to tolerate it and a few probably got used to the yolk and are now ok with it.

However it didn’t gain them any new customers either and that is why it is a bad product.
What is the point of making such a drastic change if it doesn’t become a selling point and bring in new buyers.

This should be added to all dictionaries as the prime example of a public slap on the wrist. I wonder if I could rob a bank, get away with $250,000, get caught, and be ordered to pay a fine of 7 cents. That ought to stop be from doing it again, right?

Maybe not the strike but I have been writing for five years (unpopular thoughts) that Tesla have indeed been too competitive to bring them with us. Not that I suggest slowing down...

Maybe advertising EVs on their behalf could help...

Is Tesla accelerating and decelerating transition to renewables?
Let them die. We should stop throwing more money at bad companies. Put that money towards new projects and companies.

This is hardly something that has been learned in recent years.

It is common knowledge and accepted as being an aspect of the human condition which has always existed, and, at some level must have played a part in survival of the species.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

This is as true today as it was in Lincoln's time, or in Socrates' time.
One big difference: those historical examples didn’t have an environment of algorithms whose sole purpose is to keep customers glued to the device feeding them the information.

Okay, so you are suggesting that they should implement the overhead of a new department to create ads, and spend money putting the ads out there, and also raise the price (to cover the cost of the advertising)? This appears to be mostly a null exercise.

Are you basing this statement on a belief that having a higher price is important to a company which has as part of its master plan the lowering of the price?

It seems to me that the only ones who benefit in this scenario are the employees in the new advertising department. Which likely has a lot to do with why Tesla sees no need to embark upon that project until other factors demonstrate a greater benefit. Such as increased production and lower costs having reached a point where advertising is needed to move more of the product than word of mouth can move.

Tesla isn't there, yet, though I do look forward to seeing what kind of ads Tesla comes up with when they do reach that point.
the general public is unaware of the advantages of a tesla EV, increasing awareness and educating
them may well increase the addressable market.

or better yet, keep them in the dark and let them others drive the narrative.
we want the truth. We need the truth.

Explains why $TSLA is down 2.49% 🥴

Guessing max pain is $250 for the week?
Yes but why is it going lower than Max Pain? Other forces at play?

IMG_6037.jpeg