Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The decision to delay Giga Mexico and gently ramp Berlin and Austin is surprising to me. Only a couple of quarters ago the guidance was that production growth would continue at maximum speed. I think Elon had said something like "pedal to the metal, rain or shine". Why such a major change of direction now? Tesla also has even more liquidity now than when he said that. Further, if affordability is the primary challenge, wouldn't that increase the importance of Gen 3 production in Monterrey?
PTSD, a second war, uncertainty where interests will go etc…

He’s concerned and out of an abundance of caution, so he doesn’t lose Tesla, he’s pumping the brake a little bit.

Relax.

It seems to me, in the current environment, Tesla is not confident they have the demand to sell every car if they keep ramping as quickly as possible. (Buy a share tomorrow morning, @Krugerrand :) ). We can argue forever and get nowhere trying to guess all the factors impacting that situation. I'm of the opinion, that I think agrees with Elon, that the economy is the largest factor at this time. This also indicates to me that Elon / Tesla are anticipating the economy worsening or, at least, not improving in the short term.

I'm not sure Elon expects the economy to worsen, but I certainly think he wants to be prepared in case it does worsen. The pullback on guidance suggests this given what Tesla was guiding just a quarter or two ago.

Once the Fed starts lowering rates I'd expect to see Tesla step on the growth accelerator again. Probably mid to late next year if inflation continues along it's trend.

What changed so drastically since Q3 2022 and Q3 2023? Inflation has gone down and what interest rates have been risen like 1%.
A whole year worth of events.

As someone building a mountain fortress, I can say unequivocally I ain’t see no reduction in material or fuel costs. Not a bloody cent. My contractor continues to have issues ordering materials, never knowing if it’ll take a day, week or month to arrive. Just the other day, he opined how the window company he’s ordered from for over 20 years still hasn’t recovered from the COVID debacle, and we’re still waiting for two standard windows for a building that should be a stock item but for some reason are not and already two weeks late from the original ‘you’ll have them in two weeks.’

So, I don’t know where you live but nobody here is seeing any kind of cost reductions in food, fuel or otherwise. There’s still labor shortages, businesses going belly up right and left, people unable to afford housing, car loans etc…, and COVID making people sick.

And now for something completely different... Toyota adopted NACS

Is this beneficial to tesla regarding supercharger access with fees? I thought supercharger network was not supposed to be a profit center but with so many other automakers adopting can it be a profit center/business?

Is there any royalty or fee for signing up for supercharger access?

Is this beneficial to tesla regarding supercharger access with fees? I thought supercharger network was not supposed to be a profit center but with so many other automakers adopting can it be a profit center/business?

Nope. Doing it out of the goodness of their heart and so as not to be considered a monopoly. 😉

It increases usage, especially of the lower utilized sites, which should spread out the demand charges and allow Tesla to lower the rates at Superchargers. (So beneficial to all Tesla owners.) It also provides more funds to expand the Supercharger network even more. (Again beneficial to existing Tesla owners, as well as potentially opening up charging for new areas to bring in more customers.)

But, yes, it probably could add a small amount of profit for Tesla, if they ever stop, or slow down, the expansion.

From what we have heard, no.

Nope. Doing it out of the goodness of their heart and so as not to be considered a monopoly. 😉
Except for the margin on electricity sales, ~20% gross margin as it evolves. subscription/acess fees or rate hikes for non-Tesla will help deliver that 20%. In ROE terms this should be lucrative business but no need to publicize that, is there?

It seems to me, in the current environment, Tesla is not confident they have the demand to sell every car if they keep ramping as quickly as possible. (Buy a share tomorrow morning, @Krugerrand :) ). We can argue forever and get nowhere trying to guess all the factors impacting that situation. I'm of the opinion, that I think agrees with Elon, that the economy is the largest factor at this time. This also indicates to me that Elon / Tesla are anticipating the economy worsening or, at least, not improving in the short term.

His purchase of the bird was driven by a specific concern and goal at that time, regardless of the price. I think he is succeeding with that goal, and I'd guess he considers it money well spent from that point of view.

Go talk to median income families. Ask them how they're doing. Ask them if they believe the govt stats.
Hmmm. How many new cars were sold in Q3 in the USA. Last I checked it was millions and the Average Sales Price was about $50K. Sure seems like lots of Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y would fit especially with the tax credits. So I dont think it was the economy. It was getting people to choose a Tesla EV over ICE cars.

Though I previously thought it was mainly about interest rates, I think there is more of a general demand lull for electric vehicles.

Sure interest rates definitely have had a big effect, but Tesla has suffered much worse than other OEMs selling ICE vehicles.

But I wasn't sure if that was Tesla-specific or not. Turns out it isn't. Even Polestar used car prices have crashed in the last year.

Polestar advertises on TV, and doesn't have a well-known CEO that people allegedly refuse to buy vehicles from.

So I don't think advertising or having a more tame CEO would really have changed anything.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 6.16.11 AM.png

My guess is people see buying an EV as a somewhat "risky" purchase, and are much less willing to do so given the higher interest rate induced economic fears.

And now for something completely different... Toyota adopted NACS

might explain some Elons grumpiness ... putting up with Toyota ... adopting NACS ...
Elon " you have no EV volume...why should you be allowed to participate "